• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

i got the demo last night started it up and handed the controller to a friend and made him

play. during the ehm chase scene all he kept repeating was omg im playing this?! omg im

playing this?!

he didnt even know it existed and now he cant wait to get his hands on it.

characters seem solid. always felt like a bad move had ruined it but it kept going. i

wonder how much variation there can be.

i was like meh i liked heavy rain ill play it. to being like damn i wanna see this through

lonely

Got my copy of UK mag Play and they gave it 70% for comparison they gave Heavy Rain 94%. I won't post the whole review but here's their write up at the end.
Technically and graphically impressive, Beyond tells a story that never grips in quite the same way as it's predecessor. There's still nothing quite like like it, but David Cage clearly has trouble writing a concise, believable story and it shows.

sarcoa

so it's a negative review, then.
Haven't finished the game yet. Haven't played sequences more than once. Haven't seen divergence in potential outcomes re: choices. Impressions are what they are, but my critical evaluation, whatever that means, is incomplete

Or, I dunno.

Why do reviews matter when there's a demo available?

It seems silly to start focusing on reviews all of a sudden. If you're on the fence, check out the demo. If you're not and know you'll love it regardless, why do what some reviewers have to say matter?

DukeBobby

The thing I love most about Quantic Dream's games is all the different locations they take you to. Every area is different and brimming with atmosphere.

Judging from the trailers, Beyond seems to be like this too. Even if the story or writing is poor, I will derive some enjoyment from the game for that reason alone.

Zemm

Why do reviews matter when there's a demo available?

It seems silly to start focusing on reviews all of a sudden. If you're on the fence, check out the demo. If you're not and know you'll love it regardless, why do what some reviewers have to say matter?

Because the story is a huge part of the game and you can't really get a handle of that in the short demo. I really liked the demo fwiw but I realise that has little bearing on how good the game will turn out.

Is there a way to re-watch the Premiere? I'm particularly interested in the passage where some guy asked David Cage why he doesn't make movies. Is there a video of it on Youtube?

DukeBobby

Got my copy of UK mag Play and they gave it 70% for comparison they gave Heavy Rain 94%. I won't post the whole review but here's their write up at the end.
Technically and graphically impressive, Beyond tells a story that never grips in quite the same way as it's predecessor. There's still nothing quite like like it, but David Cage clearly has trouble writing a concise, believable story and it shows.

He desperately needs a script editor.

Because the story is a huge part of the game and you can't really get a handle of that in the short demo. I really liked the demo fwiw but I realise that has little bearing on how good the game will turn out.

It's from Cage and I mean this with respect, the story will be passable at best and throwaway nonsense at worst. This is just a fact that has been accepted early on when Cage is announced as the writer.

Is there a way to re-watch the Premiere? I'm particularly interested in the passage where some guy asked David Cage why he doesn't make movies. Is there a video of it on Youtube?

It isn't. Incredibly, the video was removed because it was too long...

Here's a soundbite video I was able to find, haven't watched it for fear of spoilers so apologies in advance if it's not what you're after...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4xelXpwf8s

Carl

Quantic Dream are pulling some insane graphics out of the PS3 (I did the ol' "wait, this isn't a cutscene anymore?" double take a bunch of times, I blame the scope aspect ratio, haha) and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Page and Dafoe's performances.

I got caught out a few times by that. Sat waiting for cutscene to finish... "Wait, why has it stopped? Oh shit, the cutscene already ended"

PureGone

Banned
If you are looking for a Halloween game, this is perfect for it. Going to play the game again with my girlfriend near Halloween.

Haven't finished the game yet. Haven't played sequences more than once. Haven't seen divergence in potential outcomes re: choices. Impressions are what they are, but my critical evaluation, whatever that means, is incomplete

Or, I dunno.

too bad most reviewers are just going to play this once and then just say there are choices like a throwaway line.

LordCanti

Edit: edited out review due to tagged spoilers (will put it back when there is a spoiler thread)

I'd give it a solid 8.5/10 on the back of the acting and generally great graphics (though letterboxed just to annoy plasma owners).

DukeBobby

Just beat it: I loved Heavy Rain, and BTS didn't do it for me in the same way. What was wrong with Heavy Rain (the writing, the controls) is still wrong here, but the structure of
the story was better in Heavy Rain even if it had ridiculous red herrings and such. I never felt like BTS was giving me options, until it literally gave me a list of options at the end; That's in contrast to Heavy Rain, where I always felt like what I was doing could be fatal to the characters at any given moment

I'd give it a solid 8.5/10 on the back of the acting and generally great graphics (though letterboxed just to annoy plasma owners).

Would the story have been better if it was told chronologically? I still don't see why Cage chose to do this, other than for pacing reasons.

Cloudy

Banned
Is there any option for a bonus soundtrack when you buy the game? Really loving the music that plays in the ps3 menu

He desperately needs a script editor.
Well, he is not writing the next game for the most part. Hopefully it is not too late and Sony doesn't reduce their budget because of Beyond (in case it bombs).

That's a shame. If there's one thing that Heavy Rain nailed, it was tension.
Yeah he said he did it, because it would have been too boring to play as child Jodie for 3 hours, then teenager, then adult. I really thought it would work pretty well and even create tension. Too bad it doesn't apparently.

Goddammit, Cage.

vehn

GOTY (didn't see it posted)

V0BhHtW.jpg

LordCanti

I thought we weren't supposed to post spoilers?

From the OP:

1. Spoiler-tag any plot-related discussion. If you post a link to a Youtube video, warn us if there's spoiler in it. If necessary, I'll create a separate spoiler thread once the game is out.

If that was amended by a mod on one of the pages, let me know and I'll take all of mine down.

DukeBobby

Did you read the spoilers? Spoils the ending completely right?

I guess, but I won't know what any of it means until I finish the game myself.

Anyway, it's probably best that I know some details. I'm less likely to be disappointed that way.

I had both Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us endings spoiled for me, and it didn't affect my playthrough.

I guess, but I won't know what any of it means until I finish the game myself.

Anyway, it's probably best that I know some details. I'm less likely to be disappointed that way.

I had both Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us endings spoiled for me, and it didn't affect my playthrough.
I seriously hope there is more to the choices than it seems. At least they seem to have some kind argument going on, which is interesting. Could be pretty awesome, but then it is pretty much confirmed that no reviewer is going to realize that if the game doesn't spell it out.

Top Bottom