• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

By no more spoilers in thread does it mean no unmarked spoilers or just no spoilers period? I can go back and remove mine if I need to and someone should start a spoiler thread.

By no more spoilers in thread does it mean no unmarked spoilers or just no spoilers period? I can go back and remove mine if I need to and someone should start a spoiler thread.
No spoilers or spoiler thread before October 8th apparently. We probably should start one then on that date. Better edit them and continue the discussion over PM for now. But you can probably keep us updated if it lead anywhere without spoiling.

People posting images now? Grr, I'm out.

That toilet picture is fake. I tried to use multiple toilets in the game and it won't let you;(

No spoilers or spoiler thread before October 8th apparently. We probably should start one then on that date. Better edit them and continue the discussion over PM for now. But you can probably keep us updated if it lead anywhere without spoiling.

Ok deleted my posts. Great game. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I feel like it's going to be overshadowed by GTA5 though. They chose a bad time to release it.

That toilet picture is fake. I tried to use multiple toilets in the game and it won't let you;(

Ok deleted my posts. Great game. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I feel like it's going to be overshadowed by GTA5 though. They chose a bad time to release it.
If the reviews are going to be like it looks right now, it probably won't matter. It will sell decently on pre-orders and that's going to be it.

Glad you enjoyed it though. Seems like it is possible :)

LordCanti

If the reviews are going to be like it looks right now, it probably won't matter. It will sell decently on pre-orders and that's going to be it.

For what it's worth, I don't think they're sending it out to die. I've seen commercials on TV playing up the Ellen Page/Willem Dafoe angle, so maybe people will buy it after seeing them.

For what it's worth, I don't think they're sending it out to die.
Certainly not. I'm pretty sure Sony wants to sell as many units as possible before the embargo lifts. Maybe good word of mouth from those that enjoyed it might help to keep it afloat for another week or two.
At least I hope there is more to the 15 or 22 endings thing or whatever than it looks right now. That would be pretty disappointing after Heavy Rain, which at least had some control.

DukeBobby

Just played the demo.. are people really interested in a slight choose your own adventure game?

why not just make a movie?

Read the rules:

3. We also don't want to hear about your definition of a "game" in this thread. And whether or not this title fits in it. You want 'real' gameplay? Go play "Tetris", I highly recommend it.

PureGone

Banned
Beat the game, took me about 12-15 hours, i did it normal pace. I have no idea how people got 8 hours.

Edit: edited out review due to tagged spoilers (will put it back when there is a spoiler thread)

I'd give it a solid 8.5/10 on the back of the acting and generally great graphics (though letterboxed just to annoy plasma owners).

The options are in there they are just more subtle than heavy rain, hard to notice untill you play again

Would the story have been better if it was told chronologically? I still don't see why Cage chose to do this, other than for pacing reasons.

The loading screen shows exactly where in the timeline you are, theres no problem with chronology.

Can't imagine that could be the case with ALL 15 or 22 endings. If it is than Cage fucked up.

nope, you can start back up to the choices

Just played the demo.. are people really interested in a slight choose your own adventure game?

why not just make a movie?

The Walking Dead won GOTY last year...

Beat the game, took me about 12-15 hours, i did it normal pace. I have no idea how people got 8 hours.
Damnit dude. Now I don't know what to think. Either you played slow or maybe you got a different path? Maybe there is a path that is awesome and 12 hours long and one that is only decent and 8 hours long? Because there is somebody else that also reported 8 hours, but then someone who beat it in 12 hours just like you.

nope, you can start back up to the choices.
What does this mean exactly? Do you think anything mattered that you did before you got to the last scene?

DukeBobby

Damnit dude. Now I don't know what to think. Either you played slow or maybe you got a different path? Maybe there is a path that is awesome and 12 hours long and one that is only decent and 8 hours long? Because there is somebody else that also reported 8 hours, but then someone who beat it in 12 hours just like you.

The full YouTube walkthrough is about 8 hours long, but they're always shorter than the norm anyway. The players never seem to explore and they tend to miss incidental details.

It's at least 10 hours long for most people.

The full YouTube walkthrough is about 8 hours long, but they always seem to be shorter than the norm anyway. The players never seem to explore and they tend to miss incidental details.
It could be. However, 2 Gaffers here also reported 8 hours and they said it was only decent. But then we have PureGone and fantomena reporting 12 hours and they thought it was awesome. Just a coincidence? Maybe. But honestly I can't see, even with exploring, how you can go from 8 to 12. It's too linear for that and it doesn't have a game-over screen.

So either it is somehow possible and maybe it even makes the game more enjoyable, because you spend more time looking at the details. Or there are different branches. Maybe one "win" branch and one "fail" branch like Heavy Rain? The "win" branch was getting to the warehouse with everyone alive and then you could choose your ending pretty much. It took about 7-8 hours. The fail branch is dying with everyone as soon as possible. You still get to the warehouse, but you can only choose from bad endings pretty much. It takes 5 hours.

The "win" branch gave you a mostly satisfying experience. The other one not, but at least you knew that it was your fault. See what I mean? I'm just speculating, but maybe it is a similar situation here, except since the choices are so subdued you don't notice it.

There was a poster here, I don't know if he is valid, but it sounded true to me. He played some scenes at GAME and one of the Sony reps told him
that the game takes into account what you did with Aiden throughout the game and it affects something.

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws...

I took about 12 hours as well. Maybe a little longer. I took my time and switched to Aiden quite frequently though. Also just found you can choose chapter after you beat the game so you can see some alternate things more easily and don't have to totally replay through if you don't want to. I just found two really cool things I did this time just by playing the last level over again that I didn't do the first time.

DukeBobby

It could be. However, 2 Gaffers here also reported 8 hours and they said it was only decent. But then we have PureGone and fantomena reporting 12 hours and they thought it was awesome. Just a coincidence? Maybe. But honestly I can't see, even with exploring, how you can go from 8 to 12. It's too linear for that and it doesn't have a game-over screen.

So either it is somehow possible and maybe it even makes the game more enjoyable, because you spend more time looking at the details. Or there are different branches. Maybe one "win" branch and one "fail" branch like Heavy Rain? The "win" branch was getting to the warehouse with everyone alive and then you could choose your ending pretty much. It took about 7-8 hours. The fail branch is dying with everyone as soon as possible. You still get to the warehouse, but you can only choose from bad endings pretty much. It takes 5 hours.

The "win" branch gave you a mostly satisfying experience. The other one not, but at least you knew that it was your fault. See what I mean? I'm just speculating, but maybe it is a similar situation here, except since the choices are so subdued you don't notice it.

There was a poster here, I don't know if he is valid, but it sounded true to me. He played some scenes at GAME and one of the Sony reps told him
that the game takes into account what you did with Aiden throughout the game and it affects something.

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws...

I don't think length is an issue. Heavy Rain didn't feel too short, so if this is even longer, then I'm not worried.

Also, it's difficult to tell how long you've been playing for if the game doesn't track it for you. It's usually just an estimate, unless the person has timed themselves playing it.

As for the branching paths, we'll have to wait and see.

I took about 12 hours as well. Maybe a little longer. I took my time and switched to Aiden quite frequently though. Also just found you can choose chapter after you beat the game so you can see some alternate things more easily and don't have to totally replay through if you don't want to. I just found two really cool things I did this time just by playing the last level over again that I didn't do the first time.
Cool. We should definitely compare our chapter screens once the spoiler thread goes up. Either you just took your time or maybe your timeline actually has more content. Maybe you can skip certain scenes and get to the final chapter faster if you do certain stuff? This would be my guess and Heavy Rain worked similarly, except that it was pretty apparent when it happened.

martino

How much of the game can be done without even touching the gamepad is what i wonder...it was a good 85% not to say more in the demo (with little impact in those sequences).

even thought, need to buy it when i can ! Story seems to deserve at least one run

DukeBobby

How much of the game can be done without even touching the gamepad is what i wonder...it was a good 85% not to say more in the demo (with little impact in those sequences).

even thought, need to buy it when i can !

If you don't touch the gamepad, Jodie will sit on the floor for all eternity.

So 0%

How many chapters are there?

Welllll I made it up to the end of video 6 and the writing hasn't been very good so far. The latter half of video 3 and especially
Young Jodie's dialogue
in video 4 being the worst of it.

I'll probably keep going later (hope it gets better), but I'm definitely not that impressed with the fact that the writing in such a story-focused game is this weak.

DukeBobby

Welllll I made it up to the end of video 6 and the writing hasn't been very good so far. The latter half of video 3 and especially
Young Jodie's dialogue
in video 4 being the worst of it.

I'll probably keep going later (hope it gets better), but I'm definitely not that impressed with the writing in such a story-focused game being this weak.

The 'lion in a cage' part in video 4, right?
. Yeah, that scene was in one of the trailers and it didn't sound right to me either.

martino

You can do nothing till you get arrested. This is considered a failure. When you are arrested nothing will happen till you free yourself.

did i said 100% of the time ?
I will test when i get it...
Not a real problem if it bugs only me. Forget my question.

I desperately want this game to be as good as the last of us. I don't really care about traditional gameplay, as long as the experience is up to par I'm happy.

The 'lion in a cage' part in video 4, right?
. Yeah, that scene was in one of the trailers and it didn't sound right to me either.

Yeah, exactly that part. Reallllly wasn't buying that that dialogue could ever come out of her mouth.

I desperately want this game to be as good as the last of us. I don't really care about traditional gameplay, as long as the experience is up to par I'm happy.

You should....probably lower your expectations. Few games this whole generation can stand to The Last of Us and if the writing I've seen so far is any indication this won't be holding a candle to that game in that category. And in a game of this type with no "real" gameplay to stand on the importance of the writing and dialogue's quality is multiplied many times over.

DukeBobby

You should....probably lower your expectations. Few games this whole generation can stand The Last of Us and if the writing I've seen so far is any indication this won't be holding a candle to that game in that category. And in a game of this type with no "real" gameplay to stand on the importance of the writing and dialogue's quality is multiplied many times over.

I agree with this. The Last of Us raised the bar in terms of voice acting and dialogue, and from what I've seen, this doesn't come close, despite being an improvement over Heavy Rain.

And despite the presence of two great actors, they can't overcome a poor script. However, they do make it tolerable. Heavy Rain couldn't afford this luxury, and suffered greatly for it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Pre-ordered the special edition for those extra goodies. Has it been clarified exactly what will be cut/censored in the EU version of the game?

Artex

Banned
I guess, but I won't know what any of it means until I finish the game myself.

Anyway, it's probably best that I know some details. I'm less likely to be disappointed that way.

I had both Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us endings spoiled for me, and it didn't affect my playthrough.

I'm curious how TLOU is spoiled for someone,
since it can't be so clearly spoiled by saying "X character dies". Did someone just say to you "Joel is actually fucking psycho" or something?

Hm. Any rumblings of a completely uncut version being released somewhere? If so I might just cancel my preorder and import the uncut version.
The US version has uncut violence, but supposedly censored nudity, even though there is no real nudity in the game to begin with, so it smells like bullshit. Honestly I think both versions are fine and pretty much identical. You are not going to notice anything.

since it can't be so clearly spoiled by saying "X character dies". Did someone just say to you "Joel is actually fucking psycho" or something?
Probably multiple spoilers. THE LAST OF US SPOILER:
I went in knowing that Sarah would die in the prologue, that Ellie is immune, that there would be no cure, that Marlene dies at some point and that Sam & Henry die.

DukeBobby

Yeah, it was something like that. I can't really remember, though.

You should....probably lower your expectations. Few games this whole generation can stand to The Last of Us and if the writing I've seen so far is any indication this won't be holding a candle to that game in that category. And in a game of this type with no "real" gameplay to stand on the importance of the writing and dialogue's quality is multiplied many times over.

EmptySpace would be seriously depressed if the last of us is the epitome of game stories. naughty dog said its inspiration was 'the road' yet tlou played more to 'the walking dead' crowd. there was much more action/suspense than what they were touting as emotional drama. contrast with the road which had much more depressing scenes than there were action scenes.

what EmptySpace did not like about tlou was that the "take the atmosphere in by forcing the player to listen to dialogue while walking slowly".

EmptySpace would be seriously depressed if the last of us is the epitome of game stories. naughty dog said its inspiration was 'the road' yet tlou played more to 'the walking dead' crowd. there was much more action/suspense than what they were touting as emotional drama. contrast with the road which had much more depressing scenes than there were action scenes.

what EmptySpace did not like about tlou was that the "take the atmosphere in by forcing the player to listen to dialogue while walking slowly".

I hope I get to meet this EmptySpace fellow one day.

TOYCOFFIN

Banned

Still trying to make that whole "EmptySpace" meme thing work I see

Top Bottom