• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Enectic

Banned
Don't think I saw this posted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/08/a...natural-thriller-for-playstation-3.html?_r=2&

Yet other recent games have done this more successfully. If you are curious about video games that treat you as an adult and are emotionally cathartic, play Journey, Papo & Yo, The Walking Dead and Gone Home, to name a few.

Beyond: Two Souls is a misstep for Mr. Cage and Quantic Dream, but its failings are not the result of the limitations of Mr. Cage’s preferred medium. That it is interesting at all hinges on its interactive nature. It would be one of the worst movies you’ve ever seen, even though Ms. Page and Mr. Dafoe give fine performances.

There’s still something mesmerizing about what Mr. Cage is trying to achieve, even if the gumbo endemic to his work is seasoned with too much awful and not enough wonderful this time around. I can’t help but look forward to playing whatever he makes next.

tookhster

Just picked up my special edition copy at Gamestop.

Jesus, the steelbook is so damn beautiful. Can't wait to play this after class.

Of course it would be horrendous as a movie. Most games would and adaptations show it constantly. No one wants to watch a character living important scenes of her life for several hours. The pacing and pretty much everything would be completely off as a movie. That's why Beyond was written as a game. As a movie Cage would have probably written something entirely different.

It's like the most obvious thing ever, but yet he uses it as a negative.

Ibuki

Banned
My special edition code is not working, anyone else?

I would wait a bit longer then try again. Also you could try using the SEN website to redeem the code instead if you haven't already.

I'm just curious, but was the code inside of the packaging, or did it print on your receipt?

Man I forgot how annoying it is that modern $60 games dont have manuals. Its nice to have something to read on the drive home from the store.

Ah well, free upgrade to special edition and steelbook looks awesome so cant complain.

Manual is digital and on disk BTW

Sorry to repeat the question, but was your code in the game box or did it print out on the receipt?

my bad, didn't see your question. It was inside the box, in the steel case where the manual usually goes.

now I don't wanna start playing, in case not having that extra 30min ruins the flow :(

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's finally here.

iJaemvSsqBOSC.gif

Wow this literally didn't change my mood at all. Still happy. What I said earlier about reviewers not liking the structure of the game and focusing on the main plot too early on is exactly what happened.
And I actually like how different the reviews are. I'm glad I already played it though, otherwise my hype would have been completely dead by now :D

Seems like I made the right choice getting it early. I love it and the bad reviews won't change that.
A little bit worried about QD and the sales, but Sony's marketing push (where they can include the good reviews only) should ensure that it does decently. Their PS4 game is already in production anyway.

Helscream

Banned
Wow the reviews are all over the place for this game. Being as much as I enjoyed playing Heavy Rain some people thought it was absolutely unbearable. I do however have a feeling I will enjoy Beyond Two Souls as well.

I have a question for GAF something that probably has been brought up before. I personally feel that the reason why a game like Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls gets mixed reviews is because it breaks away from the common mold of "Dude bro lets bro out with the natty ice and the gamecube bro". I for one thoroughly enjoyed Heavy Rain ( and probably will enjoy Beyond Two Souls) because it was something that was set apart from the rest of the crowd in terms of gameplay mechanics and interactivity.

I mean if a game is poor and pathetic of course I can understand it getting bad reviews, but its like impossible to break out the common mold when a game that is as set apart as this seems like it gets flak for simply what it is.

(I'm still hyped waiting for my copy though)

kazebyaka

Banned
Wow the reviews are all over the place for this game. Being as much as I enjoyed playing Heavy Rain some people thought it was absolutely unbearable. I do however have a feeling I will enjoy Beyond Two Souls as well.

I have a question for GAF something that probably has been brought up before. I personally feel that the reason why a game like Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls gets mixed reviews is because it breaks away from the common mold of "Dude bro lets bro out with the natty ice and the gamecube bro". I for one thoroughly enjoyed Heavy Rain ( and probably will enjoy Beyond Two Souls) because it was something that was set apart from the rest of the crowd in terms of gameplay mechanics and interactivity.

I mean if a game is poor and pathetic of course I can understand it getting bad reviews, but its like impossible to break out the common mold when a game that is as set apart as this seems like it gets flak for simply what it is.

(I'm still hyped waiting for my copy though)
The game gets mixed reviews because some people can overlook bad gameplay and poor story, and some can't. Personally, I loved HR to death, but Beyond is just not as good.

Quoted for truth. I was pretty much right and I actually like it. Beyond's story isn't for everyone and I can see no way how this wouldn't reflect in mixed scores.

Many reviewers won't like this game period. 3 main reasons IMO:

1. The game has no real plot for the first 1/3 of the game or even longer. Each scene is an important moment from Jodie's life, like a memory that will always be with you. Shocking moments, sad moments, happy moments, boring moments that somehow stuck with you. They have no real connection at first. So you are pretty much playing vignettes in random order. The plot IS Jodie for the most part. That's hard to grasp at first and even harder to accept. Many will find it boring immediately and quit ("nothing is happening"). Many will say it has no plot or focus on the "main plot", which does exist so the game can eventually end, but is of no real importance till later in the game and shouldn't be focused on. It's not something that should be done often, but I find it highly interesting in this case. It's like Cage said "playing the life of a character". I find it compelling and fascinating to participate in the life of this character. A lot of people won't enjoy that and I don't blame them

2. The subject matter won't appeal to everyone. This is mostly a story about being alone and depressed, to have no friends, no home or no anything pretty much. The game focuses on how to deal with that. It's also about growing and accepting who you are. Much harder stuff to identify with than a father who wants to save his son. I live in a similar situation, or I did a long time ago. Similar to Computer I feel invested in this character, because we align in some ways. Many people will just find it too depressing or boring.

3. The writing still has some issues, although less than Heavy Rain. After TLoU, this is harder to forgive when you are a reviewer and have to score in relation to everything else that came out this year. I don't really care, because most of these problems are related to the main plot I honestly don't care about (yet).

My code from gamestop for the preorder bonuses is not working. It is an insert inside the Steel Book, and when I try to redeem it it says it is either entered wrong (it's not) or is no longer valid.

Anyone know what is going on there?

Edit: appears to be a known issue, will most likely not work until the Store updates later today. GRACE CHEN!!!!

Ixion

So I never used Redbox before, but I figured this game would be a good place to start (since I want to play it, but not buy it).

I was able to reserve the game at my local Redbox kiosk. I'm assuming that means it's there? It says I have to pick it up by 9:00 tomorrow.

Glad I got this from Redbox. I get to a section of the game that requires six axis controls only to realize my 3rd party controller doesn't have it. And there's no way to progress without it. Great game so far though.

ViciousDS

Banned
Does anyone know what difficulty the demo was set to by default?

I want to pick the same as that on my first playthrough

its not a difficulty but just a question on how often you play video games. The one that the demo had was that you play video games regularly. The only difference during the two is during action sequences there will be no arrow during the QTE.

Top Bottom