• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

GAF, tell me that all the reviewers have lost their mind and this game is still a masterpiece of an exclusive to be played and enjoyed...
It is. But you have to have a certain mindset.

Glad I got this from Redbox. I get to a section of the game that requires six axis controls only to realize my 3rd party controller doesn't have it. And there's no way to progress without it. Great game so far though.
Do you have a smartphone or tablet? Just control the game that way.

When are the real reviews coming?

nevah.jpg

AlphaK

The extreme reviews for this game are making the wait unbearable. It seems like David Cage has firmly established himself as the M. Night Shyamalan of the gaming industry. lol

Can't wait to play it and form my own opinion of it.

codhand

wow, Gamestop are being sheisty about this preorder bonus that was offered online.

i was told, they couldnt find my preorder in their system and was told not to preorder online, ever, because they dont get the proper special edition allocation, and that someone else who preordered would have to lose their preorder edition even though i was first by a looong shot.

turns out that person who was gonna get told no soup for you, was actually an employee! wtf?

this and having to wait, with no one else in line, while the associate blabbers on with the upsells, fast & furious style, on the landline customer phonecall--even though i was there prior to the call--makes the whole experience reek,

and yet gamestop offered this steelcase edition, exclusively! so if i want it, what choice am i left with?

wouwie

Just pre-ordered the game. Something tells me that i need to play this game to be able to judge it properly. I have always loved adventure games and Quantic Dreams hasn't dissapointed me yet. As with their previous games, i'm convinced that it will be a mixed experience with both good and bad aspects. But i also hope it's going to be an interesting experience worth playing.

DZ_b_EZ

wow, Gamestop are being sheisty about this preorder bonus that was offered online.

i was told, they couldnt find my preorder in their system and was told not to preorder online, ever, because they dont get the proper special edition allocation, and that someone else who preordered would have to lose their preorder edition even though i was first by a looong shot.

turns out that person who was gonna get told no soup for you, was actually an employee! wtf?

this and having to wait, with no one else in line, while the associate blabbers on with the upsells, fast & furious style, on the landline customer phonecall--even though i was there prior to the call--makes the whole experience reek,

and yet gamestop offered this steelcase edition, exclusively! so if i want it, what choice am i left with?

I had a copy preordered through GS website, but then I found that Newegg was also doing the special edition so I canceled and preordered through them. I won't get the game until maybe Thursday or Friday so I'm not entirely sure, but on the product page it stated that if you order the game through them you get the special edition copy.

Of course it doesn't say it anymore but I was lucky find it in time. That GS order was like $70 something after tax and shipping but the Newegg order was literally only 59.99 with no tax or shipping cost.

FireCloud

Thanks for the link. I noticed you playing it the other night from the friend's list and I was so jealous. I just picked up my copy during lunch today and hoping to enjoy it starting this evening. I'm hoping that it is spectator friendly as I'm going to try to get my wife to watch as I play through it. She seemed to enjoy watching me play the Uncharted series and TLoU and but didn't watch Heavy Rain (due to subject matter).

codhand

I had a copy preordered through GS website, but then I found that Newegg was also doing the special edition so I canceled and preordered through them. I won't get the game until maybe Thursday or Friday so I'm not entirely sure, but on the product page it stated that if you order the game through them you get the special edition copy.

Of course it doesn't say it anymore but I was lucky find it in time. That GS order was like $70 something after tax and shipping but the Newegg order was literally only 59.99 with no tax or shipping cost.

i did in-store pick-up though, to avoid
A) shipping cost, and
B) waiting, like you are now...

AlphaK

Gah, really!? I feel so stupid for not knowing this.

Oh well, too late now. I would've gotten free 2 day shipping to boot.

Kashinoda

Banned
The extreme reviews for this game are making the wait unbearable. It seems like David Cage has firmly established himself as the M. Night Shyamalan of the gaming industry. lol

Can't wait to play it and form my own opinion of it.

What a strange comparison to make.

M. Night Shyamalan makes nothing but utter garbage.

If reviews stopped having scores, I wonder if the tone of the reviews would be less extreme one way or another - If you give 9/10 or 4/10 to a game you sort of have to justify it by being hyperbolic somehow

I don't know who's trolling who anymore.

AlphaK

Well i don't consider his earlier films(Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, etc) to be garbage, but even at his height he was a very divisive figure. and a lot of the criticisms are the same.

Wow, can believe this won't be released digitally.

+ Derek Osgood on October 8th, 2013 at 10:22 am said:
It will not be available for Day 1 Digital. Still can’t confirm any future digital plans.

+ Derek Osgood on October 8th, 2013 at 10:29 am said:
We’re still working things out on if there will be a PSN version. There are technical details involved which limited our ability to go up with a Day 1 Digital release, but the team is still exploring a future PSN version. Again though, we can’t confirm that there will/won’t be a PSN version at a later date.

I liked Heavy Rain despite it's flaws and I loved the Beyond demo.

I'll probably play Beyond eventually but I have a question for those who have played it: how's the writing?

That would be the only flaw that would potentially ruin the game for me. As I've gotten older and played more games my tolerance for shit writing has drastically reduced.

Jim

Very curious to see someone put together a map of how the story and scenes branch out.

It's nowhere near as obvious as how Heavy Rain works
until the very end at least

anddo0

I've played up to the ending of the demo area. I'm very happy with the game so far. Glad I stuck to my guns on this one. The score, and graphics are amazing. I've played many games this gen, and very few game match the IQ of this game. If this bad acting and writing, give me more.

Advanced Experiments DLC is meh. Just a 30 minute time trial. Not nearly as good as The Taxidermist.

So that's what is it. I'll give it a try during my next session.
I don't want to rush through this one.

I liked Heavy Rain despite it's flaws and I loved the Beyond demo.

I'll probably play Beyond eventually but I have a question for those who have played it: how's the writing?

That would be the only flaw that would potentially ruin the game for me. As I've gotten older and played more games my tolerance for shit writing has drastically reduced.
It's much better written than Heavy Rain, while retaining supernatural elements from Fahrenheit.

That's very disappointing. Was hoping it would be a fun DLC episode. Ah well, guess we can't have everything...
BTW, before you head into the game remember to always explore your environment fully. That's what reviewers don't do and what makes this game so special in many instances. There are some very emotional, sad and happy side stories waiting to be discovered.

Also man this game works great if you just pretend to live the life of Jodie. I'm at a point right now, where I'm doing some kind of a job and it's mundane but so awesome. Love this shit.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just came back from picking up my Special Edition from Gamestop... No cool little activity like HR's origami to do during the installation, alas, but at least it didn't take nearly as long.

Can't wait to dive in...

SRTtoZ

4pm and still no UPS. I know its out for delivery but cmon. I wish they were consistent! Its usually 10am in the morning or 6pm at night...*sigh*

Eh, it makes you think a bit but it's not very difficult at all. I finished it in less than 10 minutes lol

I figured it wouldn't be 30mins, but 10mins? Couldn't even stretch the content to the standard half the time stated by the developers...Yeesh.

BTW, before you head into the game remember to always explore your environment fully. That's what reviewers don't do and what makes this game so special in many instances. There are some very emotional, sad and happy side stories waiting to be discovered.

Also man this game works great if you just pretend to live the life of Jodie. I'm at a point right now, where I'm doing some kind of a job and it's mundane but so awesome. Love this shit.

Thanks for the heads up. I usually thoroughly explore environments to search out little details and such, so it's great to hear the game is full of those little details.

Less than 10 minutes?

That's very disappointing. I thought it was supposed to be 30 minutes.

General rule of thumb, whatever length developers state, half it and that's almost always the real length of the game, DLC, whatever.

Ce-Lin

This

most reviewers just rush through games, you know that they don't even finish RPG games which are 30+ hours or if they do they don't bother with sidequests, a lot of them are exactly interested with this slow-paced interactive movie genre, too busy hyped with Titanfall or Battlefield 4, so they probably rushed 4 hours and sprout whatever came to mind, the game is really great and of course should be played like Heavy Rain, soaking everything. I love this game !

It's a 30 minute time trial apparently. I will see for myself, can't believe how many hated the Taxidermist and finished it in 10 minutes either.
At least Taxidermist was replayable for different outcomes. I guess this one is replayable for changes in the instructor's dialogue, but that's it. Jodie doesn't even talk.

Anyway, as for the actual game, I'm about 4 hours in and loving it so far. Very Fahrenheit at times.

A question to those who FINISHED the game :

Just finished the "imaginary friend" chapter. Does Aiden has something to do with "Diane" ? That could be something like Jodie's dead sister ? Don't tell too much, just if I'm on the right track :)

WTF!?!?!!?!

People have ALREADY finished this?

What did you guys do? Speed run this thing from a midnight launch?

The game just came out today and its like over 10 hours long supposedly.

Unless some you got it early.

Top Bottom