• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEYOND: Two Souls (Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe) |OT| Press Triangle to Aiden

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I just finished the demo....did anyone get any technical issues regarding Jodies face textures? For like 5 minutes her entire face went black. :l

Otherwise, I was kind of digging the demo. Love that Ghost Trick/Geist vibe the game had to it. Gonna wait for a price drop tho.

EDIT: Ellie and Jodie are two cute chicks and I get them confused, sue me

Yes, I had the face issue. Posted on it the other thread on Saturday. Doesn't happen all the time. I also think this is an older build if the game. At least some scenes were written about months back. Could be fixed. In final build.

I didn't even know the demo was out... my God, I am behind the times.

Downloading right now.

I really hope the story and acting for this game is better than Heavy Rain. Heavy Rain had a great concept and great individual scenes, but was such a massive failure on the narrative front... but it still was an interesting experiment, so I don't regret trying it. Have high hopes for Beyond. I hope Cage has written a better script this time around. Plus, how can Dafoe ever disappoint?
Yeah man, where the hell have you been? I remember you being excited for it back in April and then you never showed up again in any of the threads lol

We don't know about the story yet, but the acting is great IMO. Especially the child, damn what an improvement over Heavy Rain's French kids. Enjoy the demo!

I'm confused by the rules. Are we only allowed to shower the game with praises and can't say anything objective about David Cage or the game? That seems rather silly that we can't offer up any constructive criticism, even if we still like the game. It all seems rather...boring. David Cage is a blowhard, terrible writer, and delusional about how revolutionary his games are but I still greatly enjoyed Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain despite both being deeply DEEPLY flawed.
You can talk about the game, but don't shit talk David Cage, because it doesn't belong here. Separate the man from his products. Also "this isn't a game" doesn't belong here, same with "it has QTEs, so it sucks".

Of course you can criticise and argue that the game sucks. But do it with good arguments, that means explain why the story sucks.

It's dumb that we have to do this, but once the discussion is focused on what is a game and why David Cage sucks the thread is automatically ruined. Same happened to Heavy Rain OT and numerous threads before. It's boring and tiring. That's why these rules are in place.

It would be great if someone could make a few avatars.

hm...
cd74ec16_o.jpeg
ceec8505_o.jpeg
5fce4944_o.jpeg
e04406ea_o.jpeg
f3b9773e_o.jpeg
6eeb1d02_o.jpeg
971659e0_o.jpeg
73911940_o.jpeg
17466170_o.jpeg
d7a02d4f_o.jpeg
fb27d2c8_o.jpeg
41ffbab6_o.jpeg
c602b63e_o.jpeg
70408c76_o.jpeg
b3bce16c_o.jpeg
dd9f2330_o.jpeg
d336401c_o.jpeg
438b37da_o.jpeg
400e34be_o.jpeg
47fbf119_o.jpeg
be516ff5_o.jpeg
da65185d_o.jpeg
36b7ae8f_o.jpeg
5847f611_o.jpeg
ef12c060_o.jpeg
8590adfb_o.jpeg
be15bc5f_o.jpeg
88df4272_o.jpeg
a61be2a8_o.jpeg
bc2988fc_o.jpeg
b5326e88_o.jpeg
e28faa58_o.jpeg
fefdf736_o.jpeg

and can peeps save theirs, pics might go down.

edit: EmptySpace is just going to use an ellen page one, because she is gorgeous in this game.

SkylineRKR

I liked what I played.

I don't like HR, but this one felt faster paced, more in control and just better overall. Far better VA too. Out of body experience is sort of good, like, possess that soldier or strangle that other one? I think you have choices at times.

The gameplay does make sense. The fighting is pretty much a case of flicking the stick into the direction of your opponent and press down to dodge an incoming. They tried to minimize the tiring on screen pre baked QTE gimmick. In the demo its only there during climbing and some struggles.

I'm confused by the rules. Are we only allowed to shower the game with praises and can't say anything objective about David Cage or the game? That seems rather silly that we can't offer up any constructive criticism, even if we still like the game. It all seems rather...boring. David Cage is a blowhard, terrible writer, and delusional about how revolutionary his games are but I still greatly enjoyed Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain despite both being deeply DEEPLY flawed.

fZtxBah4.gif

rexor0717

I've pretty much put myself on a media blackout for this game. I might wait for a pricedrop, but I want to play this game quite a bit.

Kame

Man, just saw this today..

All I can really say is my body is ready.

I wonder if this will be better than The Last of Us.

Believe

Yeah man, where the hell have you been? I remember you being excited for it back in April and then you never showed up again in any of the threads lol

We don't know about the story yet, but the acting is great IMO. Especially the child, damn what an improvement over Heavy Rain's French kids. Enjoy the demo!

I forgot to pay attention, hahaha.

It's at 70% now.

I just finished the demo....did anyone get any technical issues regarding Jodies face textures? For like 5 minutes her entire face went black. :l

Otherwise, I was kind of digging the demo. Love that Ghost Trick/Geist vibe the game had to it. Gonna wait for a price drop tho.

EDIT: Ellie and Jodie are two cute chicks and I get them confused, sue me

I only get that when i leave the demo paused for awhile

I don't know about deeply flawed. Care to elaborate a little more?

He doesn't know how to end games well, this has been obvious from Omikron onwards, but he usually nails gameplay and his storytelling, which not great is actually really good at points and he does a good job in creating believable characters, game world, etc.

Damn I am really impressed with the demo. Considering getting this on release now.

Edit - And just like that, I preordered. Went through Gamestop for that steel book edition, really hate buying from there but oh well.

who here with the opinion that david cage is wack is buying this game? i'd love to hear their opinion on this before I make the purchase.

gonna need some gaf reviews.

Gertso

Neo Member

He doesn't know how to end games well, this has been obvious from Omikron onwards, but he usually nails gameplay and his storytelling, which not great is actually really good at points and he does a good job in creating believable characters, game world, etc.

At least half of Indigo Prophecy is impossibly silly nonsense. No game, movie, tv show or anything else jumped the shark more fantastically than that game. Around the 40ish% mark the game goes off rails with absolutely no real story direction and just continues to one up itself with complete bat shit insanity until the end.
The bugs, angels, the panther, roller coaster scene, the yellow matrix monsters vs the purple ones, bum alliance, necrophilia.
I really wished that the game kept to its murder mystery beginnings because that was when it was clearly at it's best. David Cage obviously agrees with this considering that that is pretty much what Heavy Rain was.

Heavy Rain has some pretty rough writing issues as well just not nearly as severe as Indigo Prophecy but I can forgive a lot of considering the 'choose your own adventure' format is usually going to have these issues. It's a pretty dramatic improvement over it in every other way too. I'm still don't quite understand how anyone can take it fully seriously with the English track which is why I wisely chose to go with French after playing the demo. To me it was the choice between playing one of the most bizarre comedies ever or a drama/thriller that is flawed but ultimately enjoyable. My main gripes should be fairly obvious.
Why did Madison react that way when learning who the villain was without having ever met the guy? What happened with Ethan's blackouts? Why did the killer constantly think about who the killer was when he was the killer?
Along with inconsistent animation and voice overs.

I don't really agree with you too much about the characters in his games either really. He gives them all an instantly identifiable flaw to make them seem more human but they mostly come across pretty forced and stereotypical. Stuff like asthma(inhaler included,duh), claustrophobia, drug abuse, etc. I do like Scott Shelby and Norman Jayden but I find most of his characters pretty boring and sometimes even borderline offensive like with Tyler.

Despite all of this I do think he is a great at executing individual scenes and seems to really nail atmosphere(he studies Kubrick something fierce) even when everything else around the game is falling apart. I thought the Simon Says stuff got in the way of IP(GREAT!) but his use of QTE's worked really well for the most part in HR even producing some clever moments
like when you made the origami figure it simulating folding paper very effectively.
He's a good director for sure but I just think he should let others help him write his games.

All that said...Beyond seems like there may still be some silly moments with kid Ellen Page and Aiden terrorizing everyone. I was laughing a good bit during the demo messing with that lady but maybe that's intentional. A spirit/alien/whatever would probably have fun doing that stuff which makes it just that much more creepy really. Outside of that, and a cop that had a very strange Russian/southern accent, It seems like Cage has improved just as much as he did with his last game. This could be the one for him that's truly legit good or even very good to great.

Im still hesitating on the game. I really hated the gameplay in Heavyrain (qte) after a few hours.. and the ackward character movements. I loved the camera work though. And it seems like the story hee will be deeper and better.. Dont know..

Just finished playing the demo. Having considered Heavy Rain the biggest letdown of this generation (I suffered through it because I really wanted it to be good), I must say that BEYOND seems to suffer from the exact same design problems. Also I found the acting cringeworthy and the final trailer listed every possible cliché for this kind of story.
Maybe it's just the demo and the final game will be fantastic. I'll wait for the reviews and GAFfers' opinions before eventually picking it up. Sorry for being such a downer, I get why everyone loves these games and I'm actually a little saddened by the fact that I honestly found them so lacking.

He probably read too much articles like this: http://www.gamesradar.com/heavy-rains-big-plot-holes/

FUD from a "journalist" who hated the game from the beginning. I can easily disprove 12 or so of his 15 "plot holes" in like 5 seconds. People see them everywhere immediately, but obviously don't bother to try and find explanations for them, even if the game spells them out for you or some basic common sense can be applied.

Damn, the game looks incredible, really impressive stuff, specially considering you can fly around freely in first person, which is pretty cool btw. Really makes you feel like a ghost, going through walls and messing around with objects and people.
Acting seems to be pretty good across the board.

I actually enjoyed Heavy Rain so I'm maybe a little bias towards this kind of story driven cinematic experience, but holy shit was that demo incredible!

The production values were through the roof, the acting brilliant, the controls worked perfectly once I got my head around them, the pace and choreography of the chase sequence got my heart racing like a good movie would.

The score is also very well done.

You can argue that like HR, Beyond doesn't have 'classic' gameplay per say, but it still requires timing and at times control / problem solving. I think like Heavy Rain it will be divisive and probably only really great the first time through - due to the excitement coming from being involved in a very linear interactive movie.

Still I love these kinds of games. There's not many of them and so it makes a nice change. A polar-opposite to the other game that's been in the playstation recently, GTA V.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The rules are not to discourage discussion...absolutely that will not be tolerated either. The rules are to discourage shitty garbage trolling like "I don't think this is a game" (no one cares) or "David Cage doesn't make games and sucks" (again no one cares) and "I HATE QTES THIS HAS QTES AND BTW ITS NOT A GAME" (just go away).

I am a fair and impartial judge.

wnIUnyt.gif

Looks like I'm buying this day 1. The demo was great, imo. I like how the animations and voice acting seem to be a lot better than HR. Can't wait to see how the story goes on.

It's the third game this year that literally made me smile from the awesomeness on my screen (the other two being TLoU and GTAV).

Zocano

My hype has been slowly growing for this game. It's not at immense levels (like for perhaps The Wolf Among Us) but I am thoroughly excited to get this day one. I really loved Heavy Rain (the acting was a bit shoddy a lot of the times but the actual experience has stayed with me and hit me in a really profound way).

Definitely going to come into this with as open a mind as possible.

Portman

Played the demo and loved it. Kept me interested a lot more than Heavy Rain and the tiny snippets of story (if you can call them that) have me counting the days till Tuesday.

My only gripe was that there were a few parts as Aiden where I didn't understand what the game wanted me to do but I expect that was due to being unfamiliar with the game and the full game will have me acquainted with it by then. The side effect of the gripe is that I got the see how it works if you "fail" (hard to avoid thinking that way after so many other games). When David Cage was talking about how he didn't want a game over screen to interrupt the game I wasn't sure what he meant but now I see what he meant after those parts.

Wonder how much Sony paid Dafoe and Paige. I'm curious.

I really hope Cage's script for this is tight. Kinda seems like a riff on Stephen King's Firestarter from the trailers.

My hype has been slowly growing for this game. It's not at immense levels (like for perhaps The Wolf Among Us) but I am thoroughly excited to get this day one. I really loved Heavy Rain (the acting was a bit shoddy a lot of the times but the actual experience has stayed with me and hit me in a really profound way).

Definitely going to come into this with as open a mind as possible.

EmptySpace just thinks he is playing the natural evolution of those 90's point-and-click adventure games like monkey island, the longest journey, and broken sword.

Top Bottom