• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Ceebs said:
For comparison here is the same writer's review for the 360 version.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1066941p1.html

It honestly reads to me like he is writing both reviews in respect to the audience of the site they are being posted.
That's the same guy? You're right. Yeah, I liked the way that read a lot more than his review on RPS. He's just following one of the rule-of-thumbs for journalism: Know your audience. Can't dislike him for that.

ColR100

randomwab said:
Incase anyone is wondering about the Steam version, it says it's going to go live in 1 day and 4 hours. I dunno about American timezones, but that's 10pm tomorrow for GMT. Total fucking bullshit.
And there was some f'n idiot on the previous page to your post who had the cheek to call me out on the drama I was making.

Could be a number of problems, and maybe not Valve's/Steam's fault and just that 2K are holding it back. But like I said previously, as a customer paying for a pre-order electronically you'd expect to be able to go there and then at 12am.

Well I've played about 2 hours now and I'm loving it.

It wont be marked as high as Rapture isn't new to us anymore but I love the place, probably my favourite game setting ever.

randomwab

ColR100 said:
And there was some f'n idiot on the previous page to your post who had the cheek to call me out on the drama I was making.

Could be a number of problems, and maybe not Valve's/Steam's fault and just that 2K are holding it back. But like I said previously, as a customer paying for a pre-order electronically you'd expect to be able to go there and then at 12am.

Honestly, I'm pretty annoyed by this. The only reason I preorder games on Steam is for the option to preload, so that when it's released, I can play straight away. At this point, I could drive to a 24 hour supermarket in an hour and buy the game for much cheaper than I preordered on Steam, where I'm stuck waiting for the option to even download the game until the end of the day of release, nevermind play it.

I guess I made a real bad call on this one. Sometimes retail really is better than DD.

So I played the first half hour or so tonight, very similar ( so far ) to Bioshock 1 - which in my opinion is a good thing! Absolutely love the first set piece, and the art style is awe inspiring in places. Not too sure if I'll even touch the MP of the game - but hey, it's nice to have it there if I fancy a dabble. Just wish I didn't have to get up for work in 6 hours or I'd have played more!! Also the rapture edition art book has some great stuff in it, if you are into that kind of thing.

edgefusion

Just completed it, overall I feel satisfied with both the ending and the game overall. No new game + though which is rather disappointing.

danwarb

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Looking at the screenshots, the quality of both games go back and forth.
Its' possible the first two sets of images are mislabelled. The slightly blurry image quality is reversed in the rest of the comparisons, some of which have 360/PS3 buttons visible.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Looking at the screenshots, the quality of both games go back and forth.

Is it possible to post pics? I can’t access the link at work.
I’ll probably end up playing it on both anyway, I did with the first game.

In this shot the PS3 version is clearly better.
BioShock_2_Vergleich_PS3_vs_Xbox_360_Screenshots_01.jpg

And the 360 version in this one.
BioShock_2_Vergleich_PS3_vs_Xbox_360_Screenshots_09.jpg

I think that in that first shot, they probably took the screen before all the texture loaded in all the way. The Giant Bomb review recommended that 360 owners installed the game because of texture pop-in.

Spookie

darkressurection said:
I think that in that first shot, they probably took the screen before all the texture loaded in all the way. The Giant Bomb review recommended that 360 owners installed the game because of texture pop-in.

Didn't make a blind bit of difference to me. :(

randomwab said:
Honestly, I'm pretty annoyed by this. The only reason I preorder games on Steam is for the option to preload, so that when it's released, I can play straight away. At this point, I could drive to a 24 hour supermarket in an hour and buy the game for much cheaper than I preordered on Steam, where I'm stuck waiting for the option to even download the game until the end of the day of release, nevermind play it.

I guess I made a real bad call on this one. Sometimes retail really is better than DD.
Yeah, I'm a little annoyed by this. Within 24 hours of release it should be up. The whole point is to prevent server melt-down . . . and now that will happen upon release. :-(

My Meta-Review summary of reviews so far:

Bioshock 2 is better than the original in many ways (combat, clarity of story, weapon and plasmid options), but the story takes a long time to get going, and ultimately isn't anywhere near as engaging as the original. MP is kinda fun, but not particularly noteworthy.

It seems reviewers are basically marking it down compared to the original because of the story and MP.

ruxtpin

Banned
A little over 4 1/2 hours... I can't wait. Caught up on all my homework, no class until 1830 tomorrow... Late night going back to Rapture. :D

(I know, useless post is useless.)

Anyone who finished the game and has the art book: Does the art book have spoilers? Is it something I should stay away from till I finish the game?

~Kinggi~

Banned
It seems as if last minute the marketing dudes dropped their plans of the "biggest ever!"

I guess problems in development has cost them more money than they thought?

Jonsoncao

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
In this shot the PS3 version is clearly better.
BioShock_2_Vergleich_PS3_vs_Xbox_360_Screenshots_01.jpg

And the 360 version in this one.
BioShock_2_Vergleich_PS3_vs_Xbox_360_Screenshots_09.jpg

For the first shot I am sure either 360 version was loading texture(since it doesnt come with a 5gig mandatory install) or that german site chose different time snapshot while the light is dimming

The reason why is for UE3 powered multiplatform game, 360 version shouldnt be technical inferior

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
I don't know if the inability to preload is a 2K decision or a Valve one, but the shorter the window to preload the more likely it will be for people run into congested download servers upon release.

If this is a day zero piracy issue it's incredibly frustrating since I can walk into any store and pick the damned thing up in four hours but I need to have an 18 hour penalty for buying it for one platform over another. And it will not stop pirates from cracking the game, so the whole thing is just a needless inconvenience.

Welcome to Rapture – Completed your first non-private match. Bronze

"Non-private match" What is this? There are private and non-private matches,,, Online perhaps or wut?

Quick question for those who have finished the game:

Did I have the option not to let my little sister take plasmid from a corpse? I did it once and now I feel like I've done something terribly wrong. Will I miss out on a better ending because of this?

Metiphis

My stepdad tried to buy this with his CC on STEAM and they disabled my account as Hijacked. Good game STEAM, now I can wait a week for my open ticket to get answered.

DoctorWho said:
Quick question for those who have finished the game:

Did I have the option not to let my little sister take plasmid from a corpse? I did it once and now I feel like I've done something terribly wrong. Will I miss out on a better ending because of this?
Yes you do have the option to not gather the Adam from the corpses around the level. once you adopt the sister, you can run to a vent and drop them off.

I dont think it effects anything story wise, you will have a tougher time affording new plasmids and such, tho.

Campster said:
I don't know if the inability to preload is a 2K decision or a Valve one, but the shorter the window to preload the more likely it will be for people run into congested download servers upon release.

If this is a day zero piracy issue it's incredibly frustrating since I can walk into any store and pick the damned thing up in four hours but I need to have an 18 hour penalty for buying it for one platform over another. And it will not stop pirates from cracking the game, so the whole thing is just a needless inconvenience.

If it is, well, they've completely failed, considering the 360 versions been out for days and the PC version went up today as well.

Gamestop's site says my Special Edition shipped...

from Kentucky. Won't be here till Friday. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????????

Weirdly, the product page on Gamestop says they're available to buy in-store. WTF?

Vamphuntr

I saw this behind the counter at my local blockbuster on sunday. To bad the lady knew she couldn't sell/rent them yet :(. Will probably rent it this time unlike Bioshock.

LyR

Banned
I'v got my PC copy earlier and already played through it

The game has really this Addon feeling (or straight to DVD as Gametrailers said)

Since the first footage was shown you kinda knew it can't be as good as the first, even though the first had it's atmosphere issues but the second is way worse ... I don't know if it's only me but Rapture seemed so destroyed at the end of Bioshock 1 it's hard to believe that it's so full of life 10 years later I know it's fiction but even this goes beyond belief

So I never got into the right mood, rapture looked to new to me ...

And some Reviews are spoiling that Sofia Lamp is the sister that Delta is searching for ... but believe me ... it's not really a spoiler ... just play the game and you'll see why

Afterall it's still a very good game and is a gamer not entitled to the enjoyment of his games?

No, says the man at Activision.
It belongs to the casuals.

No, says the man at Atlus.
It belongs to the Weeaboos.

No, says the man at Valve.
It is still being worked upon.

I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... 2K.

Top Bottom