• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 |OT| of Big Sisters, Delta Daddies, and Creepy Uncles

Sign me up!

6 hours into singleplayer now and still loving it.. also man is the game tough on some enemies (wont spoil which ones). The game is far from linear btw, a lot of different paths you can go - feels more open in some ways than Bioshock 1. Got to an interesting story development too but again no spoilers.
Also played a round of multiplayer... it was okay. About what I expected, not going to set the world on fire by any means but it was passable. Ranking system seems pretty broken (HIGh ranked players have huge advantages)

Sign me up too.

Man, I'm getting my ass kicked on single player hard, so I dropped down to medium.

Weak sauce.

I haven't had a real hard time with the daddies & sisters . . . but the hordes of splicers can seem to beat me up.

speculawyer said:
Man, I'm getting my ass kicked on single player hard, so I dropped down to medium.

I'm having a hard time with Medium! I played 1 through on that level - I rarely bother with Hard, as I get too frustrated usually - but on 2 it's suggesting with alarming frequency that I remember to change my difficulty level. SIGH.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Question: I played all the modes... am I supposed to get an achievemt/trophy for that or do I have to experience all the maps? Mind you, I hopped in to some games in progress. BTW this multiplayer is way too much fun! Big Daddy is NASTY if you're not the one/team who get it!

Firestorm

You can't go back after finishing a level =/ Also, the first actual level has a missable achievement and is also probably the easiest stage to get two other achievements on. So I'd save there.

Tycho on BioShock and BioShock 2:
Bioshock was a videogame - I think we can all agree on that much. It was also a vast idea. Do ideas have sequels? I guess they sort of do. A corollary is a kind of idea-sequel, right? Or is a corollary more like downloadable content? I shouldn't have lead with something like this, maybe.

I don't remember exactly where the critical dialogue on the original Bioshock ended up. Last time I checked, it was considered a black rift in the earth where red devils clawed their way up from hell; a warped creature of great lineage, withered by drink and dissolution. If your apparatus is returning a verdict like that, one that could take all that Bioshock was and deliver this result, I might have it calibrated. If you don't emerge from Bioshock having considered it a net positive, that doesn't make you smarter than other people. All it means is that you've mastered the unique gymnastics required to shit in your own mouth - to dilute your own joy, or the prospect of joy. I don't ever want to be smart enough to learn that trick, and I suspect I'm in no danger. I'm old enough now to settle for the merely great, which I recognize is grotesque and counter-revolutionary.

The reviews thus far fall into the expected numerical distribution, primarily on the upper reaches of the scale, but the text often reveals authors in the grasp of a gnawing anguish. As I've suggested before, I delight in this kind of thing: I like it when the machine fails. There's simply too much weight on the scale to get good data. What that means is that we must discover the truth of these things for ourselves, a wholly invigorating prospect.

(CW)TB out.
I like Tycho.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
nearly finished the Amusements level.

the plasmid-weapon back and forth feels a whole lot better in this game. I like that you get an high-powered, useful weapon right away. In Bioshock 1 you were only given that pistol to start with, as well as the machine gun a bit later on, both of which weren't exactly the all-rounder weapon you needed to start with.

the story so far has been fairly interesting, I'm having no issues with the way Lamb has been introduced. it feels like a natural extension of the fiction, rather than a forced in thing.

my big problem with the game is that, so far (and I am very early), none of the environments have a very distinct feel. like, the amusement park idea is cool, but the realisation is very... well, it feels like another room in Rapture. Bioshock 1 had some really cool levels right off the bat. Remember the Medical Wing and the Fisheries?

Firestorm said:
Ok, it was coming up fine at first, but I had to redo my controls again and now it comes up with the prompts. For example, the screen tells me to use "F" when I remapped the Use button to "E". Anyone else have this issue?
just with the sister prompt so far, everything else is modified.

TTG

Got to what I guess would be the 2nd level?
The amusement park
Not much in terms of real impressions yet, but at least I'm through with the guided tour. I immediately slipped into a very Bioshocky tempo in that I have to study every wall and every corner and go down every path and take a second look... :lol It's funny, I literally finished Uncharted 2 yesterday and even though it's probably the prettiest game out there right now I found myself running past most of it without pause. The world of Bioshock(and now Bioshock 2) is in no way inviting, but it is very fascinating.

A couple of quick points:

-The medium difficulty is just right for me. Difficult without being frustrating which is something I like on a first play through.

-The amount of audio logs seemed to have doubled or tripled. It might just be front loaded to set the stage, either way I don't really mind.

Firestorm

The amusement park is the level I was referring to with the missables.

I also think Lamb is being used very well. She seems like a very natural opponent for Andrew Ryan. The audio journals have been great so far as always.
I was sort of regretting getting it on PC as I wanted to play on my TV and there's no gamepad support, but after turning off my lights and playing in the dark I'm getting an adequate amount of immersion =P

I'm also checking out every poster and audio journal I can lay my eyes on.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
speculawyer said:
That crazy-ass museum is awesome. It's like JayDubya, Disneyland, and hell mixed together. :lol

That sounds like a rather horrible place :O

God dammit, still haven't had time to play it and now I've gotta work (really, what's up with that BS?) all day before I can.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TTG said:
Got to what I guess would be the 2nd level?
The amusement park
Not much in terms of real impressions yet, but at least I'm through with the guided tour. I immediately slipped into a very Bioshocky tempo in that I have to study every wall and every corner and go down every path and take a second look... :lol It's funny, I literally finished Uncharted 2 yesterday and even though it's probably the prettiest game out there right now I found myself running past most of it without pause. The world of Bioshock(and now Bioshock 2) is in no way inviting, but it is very fascinating.

A couple of quick points:

-The medium difficulty is just right for me. Difficult without being frustrating which is something I like on a first play through.

-The amount of audio logs seemed to have doubled or tripled. It might just be front loaded to set the stage, either way I don't really mind.
heh, yeah, I love that about games like this. I turned off the art subtitles right away, though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
speculawyer said:
That crazy-ass museum is awesome. It's like JayDubya, Disneyland, and hell mixed together. :lol
I loved the 'World Above' bit. It's the little things that are awesome, like seeing the giant light-house at the end.

IceMarker

I am absolutely loving the multiplayer also, and having played many online multiplayer shooter's this year, that's saying something.

My only issue is that some games start slow and some games are a lag fest.

derFeef

Tempted to buy this, but I am not sure. I liked the first one, but not as much as the press did. It was a bit repetitive and the minigames were awful. I loved the looks and sounds of Rapture and the Big Daddys though. Story was also awesome.

So how different is Bioshock 2 then? I watched/read some reviews and they always said "more of the same, story not as good..." Is this correct?

SlayrUK

Would like to enter comp too please Dax :D

On a side note, i've barely stopped playing since picking this up at midnight from my local Tesco yesterday - the guy was just assembling the large display when we went in to pick up a copy.

Game is awesome and just feels so 'Bioshocky' - I'm so glad they haven't lost the feel of the game with this sequel. Looking forward to finishing up when I finally get home from work (though it's 9:30am goddamit)

WuselDusel said:
Tempted to buy this, but I am not sure. I liked the first one, but not as much as the press did. It was a bit repetitive and the minigames were awful.

Hacking mini games (aka Pipe dream HD) have been replaced with a much simplified 'Stop the bar in the green or blue section as it moves back and forth' game. This can be done on the fly without dragging you out of the world and makes hacking quicker and lot easier IMO. I love this addition as I hated the slow hacking in the first. Now all turretts and bots can be my bitches.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
WuselDusel said:
Tempted to buy this, but I am not sure. I liked the first one, but not as much as the press did. It was a bit repetitive and the minigames were awful. I loved the looks and sounds of Rapture and the Big Daddys though. Story was also awesome.

So how different is Bioshock 2 then? I watched/read some reviews and they always said "more of the same, story not as good..." Is this correct?
gun-play is much better, story seems interesting, rapture isn't quite as surprising as it was the first time, the hacking mini-game is quicker, less intrusive and doesn't take you out of the game.

I've only played roughly two hours, but if your big issue with Bioshock was the actual shooter part of it, I'd feel pretty confident in recommending it.

Jeramii

Banned
haven't taken the time to read all 31 pages of this thread, but i have to say... this game is great!

it took me until the third level to really get into it, but now i'm completely pulled in and can't stop playing it! it is just excellent. can't wait to check out the multiplayer (gonna finish campaign first, bros...).

Psy-Phi

Sign me up Dax -- thanks!

WuselDusel said:

I think the story is equally as intriguing than the first. But I'm one of those people who enjoyed the first game and want to learn more. This game is feeding that well.

The mini-games, at least hte ones I've run into are A LOT easier/less jarring now. I didn't like the liquid puzzle mini-games either. I can play casual games if I choose to, when playing an FPS I don't want to play a casual game, as novel as it was at first.

I think you should rent it, or if you have a PC see if 4 packs are still possible and get it on one of those. For 35 bucks I'm not at all disappointed. For 15 more, I might actually have a little trouble deciding how I feel about it.

It's a great return to the underwater city, and somehow the writers were able to weave just as much intrigue as before. You'll get more of what you like and less of what you didn't in this sequel. Not to mention the greater focus on combat and being able to "dual wield" plasmid and weapon just upping the ante that much more.

derFeef

Thanks for the replies all!

I do not rent games so the Steam 4-pack is a good idea. Anyone having one key/copy left? I might also buy it for myself if I get 3 people interested in this. PM me!

stupei

Rez said:
nearly finished the Amusements level.

the plasmid-weapon back and forth feels a whole lot better in this game. I like that you get an high-powered, useful weapon right away. In Bioshock 1 you were only given that pistol to start with, as well as the machine gun a bit later on, both of which weren't exactly the all-rounder weapon you needed to start with.

the story so far has been fairly interesting, I'm having no issues with the way Lamb has been introduced. it feels like a natural extension of the fiction, rather than a forced in thing.

my big problem with the game is that, so far (and I am very early), none of the environments have a very distinct feel. like, the amusement park idea is cool, but the realisation is very... well, it feels like another room in Rapture. Bioshock 1 had some really cool levels right off the bat. Remember the Medical Wing and the Fisheries?

just with the sister prompt so far, everything else is modified.

It's funny because to me that section is so creepy because of the area with the
replicas of normal city streets
which look so very, very much like a similar area of this kid's science museum thing we went to a couple times when I was in school. It just feels so familiar that it really unnerves me in an actually visceral way. I think that section
complete with the giant animatronic hands that come from the ceiling
feels rather unlike the rest of standard Rapture in a very very good way.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Well, I'm not gonna enter the contest just to be that annoying guy who's gotta take the opposite view on everything.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the economy feels better in this game, as well. once again, stamp this with the giant "STILL ONLY TWO-THREE HOURS IN" mark, but I actually need to buy ammo and eve, which means I actually end up spending the money I find, making finding a large chunk of cash feel more meaningful.

the bonuses for hacking perfectly are neat, as well. I used to rarely hack the med-stations, but the free health pack is usually too good an offer to pass up. it's super satisfying to shoot a hacking needle into a turret stationed in the middle of a group of enemies and watch as they all either scatter or try and take it out.

there's a lots of smart tweaks that make playing the game, as someone who played a whole lot of Bioshock 1, more fluid/natural. mechanically, it's exactly what I want from a direct sequel. the mark of a game that pulls the 'small tweak' thing off well are adjustments that make playing their predecessors kind of difficult, even though they feel so similar in most respects.

stupei said:
It's funny because to me that section is so creepy because of the area with the
replicas of normal city streets
which look so very, very much like a similar area of this kid's science museum thing we went to a couple times when I was in school. It just feels so familiar that it really unnerves me in an actually visceral way. I think that section
complete with the giant animatronic hands that come from the ceiling
feels rather unlike the rest of standard Rapture in a very very good way.
yeah, it also did a cool thing that I'm always a sucker for where the game lets you go into the maintenance area and see all the spare and broken parts of a ride.

Pewp

I'll enter the contest as well!

So you don't have to deal with the Big Daddies/Little Sisters unless you want the adam? I thought I remember the first game forcing you to save them no?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Rez said:
the economy feels better in this game, as well. once again, stamp this with the giant "STILL ONLY TWO-THREE HOURS IN" mark, but I actually need to buy ammo and eve, which means I actually end up spending the money I find, making finding a large chunk of cash feel more meaningful.

Hm. I'm almost done level 4 now and I've never had to buy ammo. In fact I have so much I feel pressured to use all my different guns equally just so all the extra ammo lying around doesn't go to waste. :lol I'm usually loaded down with cash too.

And yeah, I've gotten all the gathers and killed all the big sisters so far.

cantona222

I bought BioShock 2 along with Mass Effect 2 from Amazon and waiting for them. I have to finish Assassin's Creed 2 before starting either one, but with which one should I start w/? 0_0

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You know, this game reminds me a lot of the aftertaste of the original BioShock.

I loved that game, but every time I tried to give it another whirl I couldnt bring myself to go through the game. There's fun to be had, but I honestly believe a vast majority of that fun comes from the wonderfully original and exceptionally crafted world. Its so fun to explore, marvel, and see what little secrets and details the artists and world builders have put in.

But the gameplay? I cant help but find it average. The shooting felt nowhere near as tight as other games. Many of the weapons and features felt thrown together without any real purpose or refinement. Combat scenarios never felt particuarly special.

Thinking back, all my best memories of BioShock come from the story, the characters, the world, the tension, the art, the atmosphere, the pace; the experience of being absorbed in a world. I have few, if any, fond memories of any of the combat, the guns, or the plasmids.

And I'm finding it all over again. The only reason I want to go to the next room is to see what the level artist has conjured up. I explore nooks and crannies to see secrets. I pick up every recording I can as I love the writing and the voices. I love what Rapture is.

But the combat? Fuck that shit. I cant bring myself to enjoy anywhere near as much as the rest of the game. It feels so average, like a second thought to the rest of the game's design.

Which then makes me feel like I'm playing a different game from the one others are raving about. Burr.

Got to say so far I'm feeling disappointed with the game. Just got on the train out of the Amusement place. I'm just not massively enjoying it for some reason. Nothing exciting has happened so far and I haven't been suprised by anything yet. The places I'd say I've visited so far are pretty uninteresting and samey. Nothing's standing out. Does it get better?

Top Bottom