• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

Super early game:
So um when do you get the crowbar
?
I just ran past a bunch of zombies and now I'm stuck out where you get off the train.

I'm surprised people are having a hard time finding the crowbar. I found mine super easy but make sure you are using the flares laying around ;-).

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I've only played the first two chapters, but I am very impressed. The bloom is a bit strong, but otherwise it looks fantastic. The outdated graphics were the reason I stopped playing HL1. I know it's a bad reason to not play a classic, but it just wasn't doing anything for me. (It didn't help that I tried it after beating HL2 + episodes.) I'll definitely go through all of Black Mesa though.

epmode

So I always thought this would be good but they really knocked it out of the park. Unbelievable that this is free.

I find myself leaving autorun off just so I can look around at the scenery. That may change as the combat ramps up though.

And to the guy whining about the voice acting, this is easily on par with the original. I'd say it's a little better, considering that the original VO track was all kinds of awful.

Wow this looks amazing. How true to form is it from the original HL? I have never played the original so I am one of the very few who isn't so hyped about HL3. Maybe I should be though.

This is surprisingly close to the original.

Jintor

The way they make Black Mesa feel even bigger (and way more realistic - I especially like what they've done to explosive barrels) is pretty impressive.

I've only played the first two chapters, but I am very impressed. The bloom is a bit strong, but otherwise it looks fantastic. The outdated graphics were the reason I stopped playing HL1. I know it's a bad reason to not play a classic, but it just wasn't doing anything for me. (It didn't help that I tried it after beating HL2 + episodes.) I'll definitely go through all of Black Mesa though.

bonestorm.jpg

That sense of suspense is already there. but already i started no clipping around to look for bugs and taking funny photos. So I better stop now and play when I don't have that urge. audio is very close to original I don't know what people were complaining about.

Is there any way to enable multi-core rendering?

It would be a shame if this game were stuck with a shitty framerate in larger areas.

Looks fantastic for a bunch of modders. Really looking forward to digging into it, even with the bad voice acting. Glad to hear it measures up well to the original rather than being tweaked too far. If the screenshots posted in this thread were released over the last 6 months by the team I would expect the pre-release talk would have been a lot more positive.

Now to find my Orange Box DVD so I don't have to download the SDK too!

Jintor

err I still cant find it, is it below the twisty elevator?

It's been moved, just keep going along the normal path.

One thing I find interesting is that the denseness of the visual environment has removed a lot of what once were very obvious directional indicators, and now I'm navigating mostly be memory.

Anyone else getting absolutely horrendous frame rates?

My i7/GTX680 is barely squeezing 25fps out of this @ 1440p

What's strange is that EVGA precision is saying the card isn't even going past around 550mhz core clock speed and the overclock limit is around 1350mhz.

:(

Gonna restart maybe that will fix.

EDIT: Fixed. reboot and updated precision fixed it.

Looks fantastic for a bunch of modders. Really looking forward to digging into it, even with the bad voice acting. Glad to hear it measures up well to the original rather than being tweaked too far. If the screenshots posted in this thread were released over the last 6 months by the team I would expect the pre-release talk would have been a lot more positive.

Now to find my Orange Box DVD so I don't have to download the SDK too!

The voice acting isn't bad. It is very faithful to the original game.

before or after the lasers? after the main elevator?

You know where you said you were back where you got off the tram? Around the security desk area along a wall there is a grate at the bottom of the wall, or maybe the grate has already come off. Go through there. That is the way forward. Keep going and you will run into the crowbar.

MrBig

Anyone else getting absolutely horrendous frame rates?

My i7/GTX680 is barely squeezing 25fps out of this @ 1440p

What's strange is that EVGA precision is saying the card isn't even going past around 550mhz core clock speed and the overclock limit is around 1350mhz.

:(

Gonna restart maybe that will fix.

Somethings wrong.

3570k/GTX 670 at 1440p hitting well above 100fps

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You guys think this will run on my laptop? Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz and integrated Intel HD graphics?

I can confirm after my above post that this game runs fantastically on my laptop. Running it at 1366x768 with everything on High and there's hardly any slowdown. I can't turn on anti-aliasing but I can live without that.

The Source engine is one hell of a well optimized engine. I tip my hat to you, Valve.

This is a dumb post, but how do I start Black Mesa? Steam downloaded Source SDK Base 2007, but I don't know where to go from there.

I still couldn't find Black Mesa after Logging off then on my account. Does the game say Black Mesa under Library? :(

The voice acting isn't bad. It is very faithful to the original game.

Oh cool, awesome to hear! Replayed Half Life last night in anticipation so watching the trailers for Black Mesa while I waited for it to download made me a little worried. Even if the original voice acting is below par for today's standards it was still delivered well for what Valve were developing the characters into.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'm surprised how great a job they have done with this and even though I haven't played too much there have been some funny little added touches here and there
eg. the chuckle brothers and the snacks in the vending machine
. I was expecting a far more amateur effort than this and it's free! No complaints here.

Really impressed with this so far. The visuals are blowing me away, it looks as amazing as some of the best graphics this gen. Every single thing looks fucking beautiful, I can't take my finger off F12 snapping awesome shots.

Gameplay wise, yeah, it's plays exactly like Half-Life 2. I do like how the weapons feel a bit more powerful, and I really love the headbob stuff, though I know most won't.

I was initially extremely skeptical about the changes to some of the level design, but now that I've played a couple hours, I honestly think it has been improved. 90% of the stuff that's been changed are random rooms and halls that even I only remember because of how many times I've played the original.

The rest were to some of the more iconic rooms, which I was of course bothered by at first, but I've realized the things changed in those rooms was always for the better, like adding more space in an area above a ladder.

Speaking of ladders, they sucked in Half-Life, they sucked worse in 2, and in this they're worse than ever before. I'm stuck on the jumping across the elevator and grabbing ladders part because the ladders keep fucking up even though I'm passing right through them.

All in all, so far, incredible! I really hope lots of people who haven't played the game or have just played Half-Life 2 play this, because now that most of 2's improvements have been folded into this mod, and a second dev team have had some years to iron out a couple of level design wrinkles, it's clear that 1 is all-around the superior game except in the character department.

How do I find the game exe?

I just downloaded the torrent and ran the install and when it finished it launched the game and played fine.

But it doesnt showup in steam or in my start menu.

Where is it to launch or make a desktop shortcut??

Anyone else getting bad performance in certain places? During the train ride I went as low as 17fps for no apparent reason, and now just a bit after I got my crowbar it's dipping to 40fps regardless of graphical settings :/ I'm running an i5-2320, 560ti DCUII and 8GB RAM.

Apart from that I'm really enjoying it though.

Speaking of ladders, they sucked in Half-Life, they sucked worse in 2, and in this they're worse than ever before. I'm stuck on the jumping across the elevator and grabbing ladders part because the ladders keep fucking up even though I'm passing right through them.

Going to have to disagree with you, i had absolutely zero problems on this part. I think you just don't have the mechanics down on how you are suppose to do this.

spootime

I do really hope that these guys get hired by Valve or some other game developer. The quality of this free to play mod is absolutely incredible. I gave them a ton of shit over the years but they've met and exceeded my expectations.

MrBig

Step by step instructions on how to install. Please.

Download and install the mod with the included installer to the default directory (do not extract the archive file yourself). In steam go to View then Tools, download Source SDK Base 2007 base. Restart steam and launch the game from your library.

tborsje

I don't care what something costs; I only care about quality.

My free time is always worth a certain amount. It's up to devs to make games worthy of my time. It doesn't matter who they are.

Well that's pretty god damn immature. This project was made by volunteers, would you go to a soup kitchen and make a fuss about the quality of the food?

Sorry, it's just a bizarre level of entitlement. "The game that these volunteers made doesn't fit in neatly with my preferences, how disappointing!"

PolishQ

Download and install the mod with the included installer to the default directory (do not extract the archive file yourself). In steam go to View then Tools, download Source SDK Base 2007 base. Restart steam and launch the game from your library.

The default directory is the important part. The Black Mesa folder needs to be in steamapps/sourcemods in your Steam directory. I had the same problem because I wanted to install the game to a different drive; moved it to the correct folder and restarted Steam and that did the trick.

By default, you mean where the setup file pointa me? And thanks for the help Mr.Big :)

WedgeX

Banned
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

oh, three hour download time. Stupid internets.

yesyesyes

Top Bottom