• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

Sibylus

Banned
Totally fell for that to. In a way it was very meta because the gag presupposes knowledge of the Half-life mythos. I love how the game plays with your memories of the original, taking these layers of nostalgia that have accumulated over the years and tweaking the universe in interesting ways. It's like halfway between a remake and a re-imagining. I think its safe to say this is the more ambitious than I expected.
Definitely. I was anticipating Breen the entire time, played right into the game's proverbial hands.

Jintor

Seriously, where's all the hate now?

I dunno... I still attribute a lot of the game design brilliance partially to nostalgia and partially because Valve's design was so strong all those years ago.

But whatever. It's pretty good. And very impressive.

Sibylus

Banned
9/10ths of the vitriol comes down to how the developers handled their community and PR, guaranteed. The game is excellent despite it.

Only just got to We've Got Hostiles, but man this game is full of details. It was a real nice touch when the sprinklers went off after I set some zombies on fire as mentioned some posts back. Also the crowbar feels so good to use in this, much better than the original or even HL2.

I'm enjoying the twists on the classic level designs that take me for a loop because the original is so ingrained in my memory. Though some of the dialogue is super goofy; namely the roflcopter mention and the guard in the lunchroom with the myriad of "Make like a X and X" lines. It also sounded like Cookie Monster was the thing in the vents devouring the scientists in Office Complex.

Edit: Just got the MP5. Nice.

I dunno... I still attribute a lot of the game design brilliance partially to nostalgia and partially because Valve's design was so strong all those years ago.

But whatever. It's pretty good. And very impressive.

And they did it right.

Play this vs. the first. You can see THIS team's talent is shining through.

Jintor

Oh yeah - I don't remember the original HL being quite so segmented. Source's level limitations are really showing through. I really hope Valve is updating the engine to be able to cope with absolutely massive maps with no load screens. The anachronism is really disheartening.

Looking back it's funny how people lost their shit over the video with iron sights on the .357 and the extrapolated implications it had on the core of the game, namely that it would be designed for more slower movement and gunplay. Couldn't have possibly been more wrong. Flipped on the Always Run option and it truly brings me back to what I enjoyed about FPSes.

Oh yeah - I don't remember the original HL being quite so segmented. Source's level limitations are really showing through. I really hope Valve is updating the engine to be able to cope with absolutely massive maps with no load screens. The anachronism is really disheartening.
You should really go back and see it for yourself, Half-Life had load spots everywhere, it's just that they happen to be instantaneous. Can't quite tell if it's my own faulty memory but I feel there are less load spots than the original so far.

The addition of PHYSICS to HL1 is fantastic
I know they had this in HL: Source, but the bit of swing you get when you jump from the hanging containers is nice.

Tain

Played this a bit. It's better than expected. They did a pretty great job with the early game stuff (the tram ride, NPCs, non-interactive scenes).

I'm only at We've Got Hostiles, but switching between BMS and HL1 today, I find that, at least so far, I'm having more fun with the original when compared to the darker, more visually cluttered maps, seemingly less aggressive soldiers, and less dangerous Vortigaunts in BMS.

Might play more of it tomorrow, we'll see if I see it through. I might be more likely to do another playthrough of Source.

jediyoshi

Looking back it's funny how people lost their shit over the video with iron sights on the .357 and the extrapolated implications it had on the core of the game, namely that it would be designed for more slower movement and gunplay.

oh lord that thread. good times.

Alfredo

I'm only at We've Got Hostiles, but switching between BMS and HL1 today, I find that, at least so far, I'm having more fun with the original when compared to the darker, more visually cluttered maps, seemingly less aggressive soldiers, and less dangerous Vortigaunts in BMS.

The Vortigaunts seem a lot tougher to me than in the original. Then again, I don't have the shotgun yet. You did make sure to change Black Mesa's difficulty to Normal or higher, right? For me, the game defaulted to Easy.

dalin80

Banned
To be fair a lot of the hate from earlier threads isnt that wrong, as good as the game is (chuckle brothers mug ftw) the developers attempts at PR were usually insulting enough to warrant the backlash.

Tain

Yeah, playing both on Hard. The Vortigaunts seemed pretty similar at a distance, behavior-wise, but in Black Mesa they go down safely with a crowbar if you bait them around a corner, as it seems like their melee attacks get interrupted or they take damage faster or something. I could be wrong.

jambo

I think the melee attacks for the zombies and vorts need to be tweaked. Zombies in HL1 did a double swipe, now they only single swipe, so if you're in close you don't take as much damage.

Vorts need to be able to cut off their shock animation to attack if you get close.

Played through today on Medium, going to give Hard a whirl soon, probably tomorrow.

This is my GotY at the moment. HL1 is my favourite game of all time and this is just an utterly brilliant remake.

To be fair a lot of the hate from earlier threads isnt that wrong, as good as the game is (chuckle brothers mug ftw) the developers attempts at PR were usually insulting enough to warrant the backlash.
Yeah, those impressions were definitely warranted given how scant the info was. Just glad it didn't end up being the case.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I bought the Valve Complete Pack a few months ago, and have yet to play HL1 due to an increased backlog. I've played
pirated
it before, but I only got to the Xen portal room (couldn't get through the portal before dying). On my future playthrough, I was planning on using Half-Life: Source with the HD Pack, but this looks pretty interesting. Should I go with BMS instead of HLS/HD Pack?

I won't be playing for a while, since I still have to get through Mass Effect 2 and 3 before doing anything, so I would rather wait for it to be on Steam than get it anywhere else.

Perkel

Banned
Here is my 2c:

- I am currently in Office Complex. So far game is amazing. Black Mesa devs did amazing thing imo to recreate faithfully HL1 even soup event in kitchen. I like some changes to level design. Thanks to better lightning office complex is far better than in original.
- VA. This is suprise. Aside from few lines most of VA is good. Sure Eli sounds diffrent but it isn't worse VA. Kleiner VA is amazing it is how he sounds in HL2. They added a lot of lines in complex. Love it so far.
- Graphic is nice. There are few sections that feel outdated but also there are sections which feel good.
- Bug-free not a single bug yet.

If it was 30$ release i would gladly buy it.

SparkTR

I bought the Valve Complete Pack a few months ago, and have yet to play HL1 due to an increased backlog. I've played
pirated
it before, but I only got to the Xen portal room (couldn't get through the portal before dying). On my future playthrough, I was planning on using Half-Life: Source with the HD Pack, but this looks pretty interesting. Should I go with BMS instead of HLS/HD Pack?

I won't be playing for a while, since I still have to get through Mass Effect 2 and 3 before doing anything, so I would rather wait for it to be on Steam than get it anywhere else.

Once they release the final chapters I'd recommend new HL players this over the original, disregarding all the gameplay and visual enhancements it connects much more smoothly to Half Life 2 while retaining the original atmosphere. Though you should really play the original plus expansions as well at some stage.

dalin80

Banned
Just made it through office complex and had a gaggle of buddies with me at one time I think it topped at 5, shame they weren't all guards we were just mowing stuff down.

I also tried brining the chuckle brothers mug with me but it got lost in a transition somewhere.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Once they release the final chapters I'd recommend new HL players this over the original, disregarding all the gameplay and visual enhancements it connects much more smoothly to Half Life 2 while retaining the original atmosphere. Though you should really play the original plus expansions as well at some stage.

If I finish my backlog before they complete the game (and put it on Steam), I'll just go ahead with the original. Though I'll probably want to play BMS afterward to compare. And I was going to haul my desktop over to my friend's house just so he could experience Half-Life 1, so BMS would probably be just right for him. Don't want slightly dated graphics to lower his opinion of a great game.

A few years ago I cared.

Now i understand why Elektrixx was shitting up this thread with the quotes below, this is his post from the black mesa source screenshots in June of this year. I wonder Elektrixx if you and all the other haters are secretly playing this game and either still trolling BMS or will never post in here that it is actually a great mod.

I've never played Half-Life and after hearing they've removed some parts from the game I don't think I can play this either. Oh well.

As the features were being revealed my other demands before playing weren't gonna be met anyway:

- Return all original audio
- Remove all third party audio
- Controller support

I don't care what something costs; I only care about quality.

My free time is always worth a certain amount. It's up to devs to make games worthy of my time. It doesn't matter who they are.

Looking back it's funny how people lost their shit over the video with iron sights on the .357 and the extrapolated implications it had on the core of the game, namely that it would be designed for more slower movement and gunplay. Couldn't have possibly been more wrong. Flipped on the Always Run option and it truly brings me back to what I enjoyed about FPSes.

I know they had this in HL: Source, but the bit of swing you get when you jump from the hanging containers is nice.

I hate ironsights in any game, dont care for them but i have been using the ironsight on the revolver and i love it in this mod.

Second, i was in love with the phsyics applied to the hanging container room, even though it was not super hard to traverse this room, it still made it more challenging then the one in the original HL.

Wow. The updated textures alone make this a must play. Some of the voicework and sound effects are good, others certainly remind you this is a free mod. Looks and plays fantastic, along with a lot of awesome little touches that are filled with love. Just finished the test chamber so no combat yet but man, feels so good to have a new coat of paint!

Music integration is terrible though! Stepping into the HEV suit starts up a techno track? Not too bad when you turn it righhhhhhht down but still disappointing they didn't go for more musical cues followed by ambient tracks. Save the pumping stuff for the marines.

Certainly worth spending all day downloading the 5GB or so of stuff to play it. Great work guys!

Jintor

I just love comparing rooms in my memory to rooms as they are now. The art direction and the way they've managed to make the rooms transfer over is simply brilliant. Places that were just levels to me back in the day feel like they actually have a point - warehouse, freezer, office, cafeteria. It's really cool.

I just love comparing rooms in my memory to rooms as they are now. The art direction and the way they've managed to make the rooms transfer over is simply brilliant. Places that were just levels to me back in the day feel like they actually have a point - warehouse, freezer, office, cafeteria. It's really cool.

How far into the game are you? I just got to the point where i just started fighting the marines. Honestly i have not played OG HL since HL2 came out so while i do remember quite a bit about it, there are still tons of things that i cannot quite remember how it played and looked so when i am down with BMS i am going to play OG HL and compare.

eot

Banned
Bullsquids are terrifying in this game. They used to be a joke in HL1 (just strafe dodge) but it's much harder to dodge their attack now.

It reminds me why Half-Life 2 was never even close to the greatness of Half-Life. Where Valve was off dicking around with physics and trying to tell a story in its successors, these guys actually captured what made Half-Life great: the feeling of being in a real place. All these little touches they've added only serve to make Black Mesa feel like it exists, which is the whole reason people were so shocked by Half-Life when it first launched. Scripted events should increase the immersion of the game--enhancing it, in other words, rather than detracting from it by just being cool things that players can watch.

I totally agree. The setpieces don't get in the way of normal gameplay. The are memorable levels and moments that don't include a new gimmick every time.

Forsythia

There is only one thing that bugs me so far: the 'use' sound doesn't play when 'using' a npc. iirc, it wasn't like that in the original.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
after all the complaints about servers getting hammered, I'm getting 5MB/s from shacknews. Should be all done in 10mins. Guess its quieter after the initial rush?

edit: Done. do I need the source SDK and the source SDK base 2007, or just the latter?

nan0

There are so many small eastereggs to discover, anyone noticed the coffee machines are manufactured by "La Vaza"? Or the microwaves having a quick program for Headcrabs.

after all the complaints about servers getting hammered, I'm getting 5MB/s from shacknews. Should be all done in 10mins. Guess its quieter after the initial rush?

edit: Done. do I need the source SDK and the source SDK base 2007, or just the latter?

You need the Source SDK base 2007 only.

dyergram

Am I missing something how do I run this? I'v installed sdk installed black mesa I cant see any .exe in the black mesa directory?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No, actually Valve likes to wait until a mod team has actually released something. So the members are definitely ripe for the picking now.

Not really. Someone who toiled a way on just a portion of a remake of a game for 8 years isn't really appealing to Valve the way someone who understands their limitations and makes a rather large portion of content alone in spite of it while also setting up a mythos around the mod's story building up to each episode's release with cryptic messages and ARG puzzles is.

Showing a deftness with the Source SDK doesn't suddenly make you "Valve material."

eot

Banned
I know it's not going to happen but I wish these guys would give Opposing Force the same treatement. One can dream.

Jintor

Holy shit. Is the bullsquid acid actually causing permanent (visual) damage to my suit and weapons? That's incredibly cool.

abracadaver

When will this be released on steam greenlight ? I dont want to install torrent downloading stuff. It will still be free on greenlight right ?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
When will this be released on steam greenlight ? I dont want to install torrent downloading stuff. It will still be free on greenlight right ?

Yes, it will be free on Steam.

Is black Mesa coming directly to steam? If so, is there any release date?
Yes it is and we have no idea when it will come. They said they will be incorporating Steamworks features so they still have work to do on that release.

Top Bottom