• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

Fuct

Neo Member
Dude, how young are you? I was playing games way before Half-Life.

That said, early 3-D aged incredibly badly. I think I'll roll BMS.
So BMS it is, just like I said.

To answer your question: born '88. Half-Life was one of my first games. I have made the observation that most people (including myself) think/believe/feel the generation of games they played first is the best one to date. For me, that would be Half-Life/System Shock 2/Deus Ex/Quake 3. If you've started playing games before HL1 (and still enjoy games from that era) go HL. Otherwise, go BMS.

elektrixx

Banned
I've never played Half-Life and after hearing they've removed some parts from the game I don't think I can play this either. Oh well.

As the features were being revealed my other demands before playing weren't gonna be met anyway:

- Return all original audio
- Remove all third party audio
- Controller support

Razek

Banned
Okay, this is really starting to tick me off. Why does my download keep getting canceled 20 minutes in each time? There is no way I'm getting to play this tonight on my crappy internet.

Riggs

Banned
I've never played Half-Life and after hearing they've removed some parts from the game I don't think I can play this either. Oh well.

As the features were being revealed my other demands before playing weren't gonna be met anyway:

- Controller support

So much wrong with this post. Just play the original then man, why would you even want to play a remade version if you never played the first one? You have no comparison points, but to each their own. I guess ...

Okay, this is really starting to tick me off. Why does my download keep getting canceled 20 minutes in each time? There is no way I'm getting to play this tonight on my crappy internet.

Download it through the torrent with DHT, was the fastest way for me.

- Controller support

Just... play Half Life :/

You own it, I assume?

Sethos

Banned

- Controller support

Sounds like you wouldn't play it in the first place.

Razek

Banned
Download it through the torrent with DHT, was the fastest way for me.

Sorry, I'm really out of the loop. What is DHT? I tried utorrent and I immediately uninstalled it after I got a bunch of malware from it which I have been cleaning out while letting the regular browser download do its thing instead.

Sorry, I'm really out of the loop. What is DHT? I tried utorrent and I immediately uninstalled it after I got a bunch of malware from it which I have been cleaning out while letting the regular browser download do it's thing instead.

Erm, where did you get it from, the installer has more stuff but you can unselect it and it doesn't install.

The torrent I mentioned is this one:

http://minus.com/llHKybTbP7uyU

Riggs

Banned
Sorry, I'm really out of the loop. What is DHT? I tried utorrent and I immediately uninstalled it after I got a bunch of malware from it which I have been cleaning out while letting the regular browser download do its thing instead.

Hate torrents so much! I just downloaded Utorrent but no malware here thankfully. I had this at like 35% from shacknews and then it literally said "The download is taking to long" and cancelled out. Gotta love these kind of sites. Make sure on Utorrent you do not select all the crap it comes with.

jediyoshi

Hate torrents so much! I just downloaded Utorrent but no malware here thankfully. I had this at like 35% from shacknews and then it literally said "The download is taking to long" and cancelled out. Gotta love these kind of sites. Make sure on Utorrent you do not select all the crap it comes with.

utorrent is the actual official bittorrent client with the bt client just being a rebranded version. you probably weren't in any danger there.

I waited for Black Mesa.

you probably weren't paying close enough attention if you were thinking it was a close enough remake to be able to "keep" original audio which wouldn't be possible for them either way.

Razek

Banned
Erm, where did you get it from, the installer has more stuff but you can unselect it and it doesn't install.

The torrent I mentioned is this one:

http://minus.com/llHKybTbP7uyU

That's what bugs me about it. I used utorrent before one time for an OCremix album and didn't have a single problem. This time I installed (I did indeed deselect all their browser junk) and my firefox crashed, I lost all my saved tabs and such, and I got redirects to some stupid ask.com search page. Luckily, uninstalling everything linking to utorrent solved my issue. Maybe I just got a bad installer? I'll try the beta client this time.

Edit: Nope, it was my fault. I thought "Accept the terms for yadayada" had to be selected to continue. Doh.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
In the risk of asking a stupid question, how do you load the mod after it's installed? I launched it after installing but I don't know how to relaunch it myself

elektrixx

Banned
you probably weren't paying close enough attention if you were thinking it was a close enough remake to be able to "keep" original audio which wouldn't be possible for them either way.
That's true. For years I ignored it until that video with awful VO surfaced a few months ago.

In the risk of asking a stupid question, how do you load the mod after it's installed? I launched it after installing but I don't know how to relaunch it myself

There should be a new entry in the Library, if it isn't reboot steam. If it doesn't launch, install Source SDK 2007 in the Tools section.

stupid

epmode

So this is really good. I ALWAYS BELIEVED!

Restart Steam. It should show up in your game list.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That's true. For years I ignored it until that video with awful VO surfaced a few months ago.

I'm pretty early, but the voice acting is mostly okay. They even have some of their own clever dialogue in there, like the three scientists discussing why one of them wants to re-do an older experiment instead of doing something new. WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE SAY NO MORE

Eli's voice, though... holy crap it's bad. Like, really bad. Like it sounds like some young white guy trying to sound like what he thinks an older black guy would sound like based on this one movie he saw one time.

The fuck is wrong with you? A mod of AAA quality and you are going to complain about the voice acting they were able to get with their zero dollar and zero cents budget? And even with having absolutely not a penny to spend on the game they still got voice acting that, so far in my playthrough, is similar or at least very close to the quality of the original game.

If you wanted professional voice actors then why didn't you pitch in 20 or 30 thousand dollars to pay for top notch voice actors?

I'm pretty early, but the voice acting is mostly okay. They even have some of their own clever dialogue in there, like the three scientists discussing why one of them wants to re-do an older experiment instead of doing something new. WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE SAY NO MORE

The scientist standing next to the security desk at the beginning of the game : D There is a button under the security desk you can push that will cause a reaction from the scientist.

uTorrent isn't very good anymore. I use Deluge on the Windows side for my Debian and Ubuntu iso downloads.

Sibylus

Banned

- Controller support
I don't understand this point of view. You'd rather miss out on the game entirely than, at worst, playing it twice over (HL1 + BM)? Cutting your nose, etc, etc.

Cdammen

Just played the intro. This is really, really, well-made. I especially like the sound design and music. When shit goes down after the resonance cascade you can hear rumblings and stuff with punchy bass. Fucking love it.

People are complaining about the voice-acting? It's the same quality as the original game and it fits right in. Gives the whole game a nostalgic feel.

twofold

Really enjoying what I've played so far. The corny jokes are awful, though. Ponytails? Soiled myself? TPS reports? Not a fan of that. Still, I'm having a great time. Kudos to the devs.

- Controller support

Well that would be copyright infringement so that won't happen.

HoosTrax

Wow I'm stupid. I've been refreshing the Steam main page every few hours waiting for the "Now Available - Black Mesa" headline to pop up.

Greenlight...right, forgot about that. Oops.

Chavelo

- Controller support

- Copyright Infringement
- See the first one, also :lol
- IT ALREADY HAS CONTROLLER SUPPORT

Top Bottom