• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

Dude.

Eli.

Eli.

Well this was clearly a problem for them. In HL2 Eli directly tells the player which scientist he was in HL1, so I guess they felt they couldn't use just a normal scientists voice for him and that they would have to use a unique voice. Beggars cant be choosers. They had to use whoever they could find that would volunteer to do the voice work for free. All of these voice actors are volunteers who did this from home. It isn't easy to find people who already own the right equipment to record with who will do this for free. The people who did this weren't just talking into the mic on their $35 logitech headset.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm downloading the Source SDK, do I also need to download the Source SDK Base 2007? I literally got Steam two days ago so I have absolutely no idea how to use it.

Randdalf

Well this was clearly a problem for them. In HL2 Eli directly tells the player which scientist he was in HL1, so I guess they felt they couldn't use just a normal scientists voice for him and that they would have to use a unique voice. Beggars cant be choosers. They had to use whoever they could find that would volunteer to do the voice work for free. All of these voice actors are volunteers who did this from home. It isn't easy to find people who already own the right equipment to record with who will do this for free. The people who did this weren't just talking into the mic on their $35 logitech headset.

Exactly. I've been very impressed by the quality of the voice acting so far, hoping it keeps up the same level further into the game.

editedxaiw0.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Has any official date on Steam been said, guys?

[IMG ]http://www.abload.de/img/editedxaiw0.jpg[/IMG]

I laughed. My knowledge in quantum physics finally working for something! Aside from pure knowledge, of course!

scitek

I'm pretty early, but the voice acting is mostly okay. They even have some of their own clever dialogue in there, like the three scientists discussing why one of them wants to re-do an older experiment instead of doing something new. WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE SAY NO MORE

Eli's voice, though... holy crap it's bad. Like, really bad. Like it sounds like some young white guy trying to sound like what he thinks an older black guy would sound like based on this one movie he saw one time.

Agreed about Eli, but they nailed Dr. Kleiner. Shit's uncanny.

Thaedolus

You know, any minor gripes aside, this is some seriously impressive work. For all the HD re-releases we've seen on consoles which are nothing more than resolution and framerate adjustments, this is really how it should be done. And best of all: free.99

Oh and the best part about is I'm getting a full on nostalgia trip and remember how goddamn good the original HL was. Damn. So far ahead of its time...

McNum

Hm, wow. So far I'm impressed. Up to Office Complex and well... It's Half-Life. It has a few rough spots the original hadn't, but it looks pretty good, and it's Half-Life. Looking forward to when the game starts to heat up later.

Also, they've made their own garden Gnome achievement. Only it's a hidden hat. I have no idea what hat that is, but trying to carry something through Half-Life? That's going to take some planning. You don't have the Gravity Gun to punt it, after all.

eot

Banned
Some minor complaints:
Revolver isn't accurate enough to use at medium range.
There's not much music and the one time they tried bring it to the forefront it didn't work at all. The original actually had a pretty decent score. Lastly I had some major frame rate drops in the outdoor fight on "We've got hostiles".

Overall it's super well made. I'm playing on hard and it feels quite a bit harder than the original. The weapons definitely feel better than HL2 but I still prefer the HL1 versions of some of them. I'd take this over HL2 any day.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Playing on Hard, at Blast Pit now.

This is the best game I've played this year.

Lastly I had some major frame rate drops in the outdoor fight on "We've got hostiles".

Definitely your hardware. Just got through that level, all high settings, 1920 X 1080 res, 8X AA and didn't have an issue.

Jintor

I'm pretty impressed so far. The main thing that could've used some Valve polish is the voicework.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be a way to get out of C labs without triggering the lifts and killing the dudes in it

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The voice acting in the game isn't any worse than the original Half-Life. It's a pretty faithful remake in that regard.

"They're waiting for you Gordon. In the tessst chammmber."

They said it like that in the 1998 game.

Riggs

Banned
Never mind I had aspect ratio wrong, 1080P is there!!!

Guy's I had HDR set to Full ... but there is a box that says Use bloom effect when available?

What's the best option to select for the best visuals?

Just did some research (as I've been wondering about this in HL2 for years), just use HDR and leave box unchecked for best visuals. Most of you probably know this anyhow =/

Find dropdown menu that changes display ratio into 16:9.

Yeah sorry I figured it out in like 30 seconds, just so full of hype I didn't notice my aspect ratio lol. TY sir.

elektrixx

Banned
The fuck is wrong with you? A mod of AAA quality and you are going to complain about the voice acting they were able to get with their zero dollar and zero cents budget?

I don't care what something costs; I only care about quality.

My free time is always worth a certain amount. It's up to devs to make games worthy of my time. It doesn't matter who they are.

mclem

I seem to remember hearing that something that never really got shown properly in Half-Life in its original form (final boss spoilers) was that
the crystals in the fight with the final boss were meant to be the same as the the crystals in the Test Chamber right at the start of the game
. I wonder if their remake of the final sections - when they get around to it - will convey that better than the original game did.

KareBear

First thing I did when I got off the tram,

sv_cheats 1 impulse 101 nonclip in console

Slaughtering scientists is so much fun.Before playing it for real.

I don't care what something costs; I only care about quality.

My free time is always worth a certain amount. It's up to devs to make games worthy of my time. It doesn't matter who they are.

Well my free time is worth a certain amount too. It's up to you to make posts worthy of my time.

xemumanic

why does the installation take forever?

Because its decompressing and copying files, and likely all from the same drive, assuming you downloaded the installer to your C: drive. Even if it was downloaded to a different drive than it was installed to, it was compressed pretty tightly, from ~8GB down to slightly over 3.

Maxrunner

Because its decompressing and copying files, and likely all from the same drive (assuming you downloaded the installer to your C: drive. Even if it was downloaded to a different drive than it was installed to, it was compressed pretty tightly, from ~8GB down to slightly over 3.

really thats a really big compression...:S

eot

Banned
Ladders are still my biggest enemies in this game!

Use the 'use' key to get on and off.
It took me a while to get used to because that's not how they worked in HL1.
Also, look in the direction you want to dismount.

The M.O.B

This Mod > Most fps's campaign's this generation.

Tis sad but true.

100 man studios have been 1-up'd by a dedicated team of volunteers(some professionals) who worked on this in their free time. Yeah it's a remake of ones of the GOATS but this is how it's done.

Dat pacing.

I honestly was expecting the voice acting to be far worse.

The only part in that respect which was really awkward was a voice not at all matching the character model in regards to one scientist.

Bricfa

Super early game:
So um when do you get the crowbar
?
I just ran past a bunch of zombies and now I'm stuck out where you get off the train.

TheContact

Wow this looks amazing. How true to form is it from the original HL? I have never played the original so I am one of the very few who isn't so hyped about HL3. Maybe I should be though.

Super early game:
So um when do you get the crowbar
?
I just ran past a bunch of zombies and now I'm stuck out where you get off the train.

Go back to the very first room you enter.

edit: that doesn't help at all...

look for a hole in the wall

Top Bottom