• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

Sibylus

Banned
Played up to and finished Unforeseen Consequences, saved in the elevator before Office Complex. Damn, there's a quite a bit to say and I've only skimmed the surface of the game.

- I spent over an hour playing before I triggered the Resonance Cascade, there's just so much new to see and do. The amounts of conversations, throwaway lines, and responses to accosting NPCs with physics objects amused me to no end. Standout moment was when a security guard pulled a fast one on me by saying the administrator was coming, I fell for it hook, line, and sinker, and glanced back at him after he started laughing at me. Also noteworthy were NPCs who moved in and out of scripted sequences on different ends of the room, or in the case of one I followed, walked all the way from a long hallway to the lobby, tossed a clipboard to a secretary and briefly talked to her, then returned from where he came afterward. Something like this is easily missed if you continue on past him.

- Level design alterations have been a controversial subject for a lot of people leading up to the release, but I really like what they've done with this aim. You're bound to come across more than a few new added rooms and broader restraints on where you can backtrack and explore in a level, or in the case of early Unforeseen Consequences, an element from a Half-Life 2 game (Episode One, in this case) makes an appearance. Did rather enjoy being given a boatload of flares to burn zombies with.

- Visually, there are a lot of great touches that I don't want to do without from now on. Chromatic aberration adds a nice splash of disorientation. Dynamic light on the suit batteries draws the player's attention to them in the now busier environments. Zombies of scientist and security guard alike, and the horrifying remains that once lay hid by the parasite. The Health and Energy dispensers have now been fully modeled with a number of moving parts that whir to life and deplete when you use them (gives HL2's a run for their money). But the biggest winner in my mind is what they've done with the FP hands. Splashing blood and (bullsquid) vomit all over the gun and HEV hands seems like a no-brainer in retrospect, it provides so much visual impact for something so conceptually simple. Draws the player into their present encounter that much more when they can literally dirty their hands in the process.

- Houndeyes! Not sure if I like their sound effects yet, though I have to admit I love the little animated sprite of pooling blood that forms beneath them once they keel over.​

Minion101

Banned
I'm wearing headphones and certain sounds seem too quite.

Having a lot of fun with the game though. I'm in highschool again!

Man, this is an awesome game. Fully emulates the feelings of Half Life and goes above and beyond with horror and tension, adding it to parts of the original that were slow. Also nice to see certain places given a purpose, like that random guard behind the cage you could just totally skip in HL (you can still skip it, but his hallway isn't blocked by a ridiculous amount of boxes).

Four things I noticed that were different

- The scene on Xen in the very beginning where you see Bullsquid eating is gone
- The cage in Office Complex where you used to get a very early shotgun is now a revolver, and the shotgun is given way later
- The Blast Pit puzzle with one of the generators no longer has the box puzzle where you need to move boxes over electrified water
- Many walls zombies used to smash through they don't really anymore

Disappointing, some of the random touches in the original didn't make it. The Blast Pit worm never stops smashing to sing when he doesn't sense anyone around. Also I couldn't figure out how to feed the Bullsquid in the freezer.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I get an FPS drop to about 50 in some of the more open areas, and I have a fairly high-end machine too.

Same. I think it's just there for everyone. 6970 but seeing SLI 580's get the same makes me wonder about something going on under the hood.

Disappointing, some of the random touches in the original didn't make it. The Blast Pit worm never stops smashing to sing when he doesn't sense anyone around. Also I couldn't figure out how to feed the Bullsquid in the freezer.

There will always be little touches in the original that will never be replicated in this fan made remake. But I just made it up to unforeseen consequences, and so far, this is much better than I was expecting it to me. There were some nice little touches/ changed I noticed while playing up to this point:

-The female voice in the Black Mesa Tram ride was done rater well. great work.

-"Barney" Barney doesn't greet you at the front gate like he does in the original. This is an interesting change because they were trying to make it consistent with the story in Half-Life Blue Shift.

-More variation in scientists and security guards. Interesting to see them add female scientists to Black Mesa.

-Gman talking to a scientist behind a glass pane. Funny, if you watch them long enough, the scientist turns and looks at you and closes the blinds so you can't see what they are talking about. Nice touch.

-Some weird dialog changes, but the voice acting isn't as bad as was expected.

-Dr. Kleiner and Eli Vance. ha, the impersonations were off, but it is interesting to see more continuity between Half-Life 1 and 2 like this.

- I don't like how they removed the Bull squid scene in Xen either. But oh well.

-Music is pretty well done.

-The volume on some of the sounds seem inconsistent to me. Like some seem to quiet and some are a bit too loud.

Overall, pretty neat fan made mod. The production values are pretty decent considering that nobody got paid for this, and even though it lacks some of the charm of Valves official games. They still succeed in making a really solid game. I will definitely play some more later.

jediyoshi

No, they would have done so already if they were interested. Look into the mod Minerva Metastasis if you want to see the kind of modder Valve pursues.

The first Minerva episode was released in 2005, he got picked up by them in 2008 after the last episode dropped. He'd already done a campaign by then either way :p

scitek

Looks decent

hl2_2012_09_15_00_43_1cj5g.png

hl2_2012_09_15_00_43_fxkjc.png

Man, I played it for 3 hours straight until it crashed. I mean, I saved right before it crashed, so no big deal.

I never had as much fun in HL1 as I am in Black Mesa.

Standout moment was when a security guard pulled a fast one on me by saying the administrator was coming, I fell for it hook, line, and sinker, and glanced back at him after he started laughing at me.

Totally fell for that to. In a way it was very meta because the gag presupposes knowledge of the Half-life mythos. I love how the game plays with your memories of the original, taking these layers of nostalgia that have accumulated over the years and tweaking the universe in interesting ways. It's like halfway between a remake and a re-imagining. I think its safe to say this is the more ambitious than I expected.

jambo

Did they change the train section significantly? I didn't have to steer the damn thing around.

They changed On A Rail so that you wouldn't have to shoot the signs to choose lanes. Not only did it not make sense, it was also incredibly frustrating.

I've been looking forward to this game for a very, very, very, very, very long time....

But with each passing day, I've been preparing myself to be more and more disappointed with its inevitable launch.

I've been very excited about the release, if for no other reason than just to have an opportunity to see the damn game in action, but was honestly expecting to be underwhelmed.

I don't know if this game will maintain its momentum, but I'm close to finishing office complex and have been thrilled with the results so far. I was not expecting so many glorious small touches. The houndeye staring at the static, some of the things the NPCs say and do, the splatter on my hands and gun, it's all marvelous. And I love the way my flashlight illuminates this world, and the way it casts shadows..

I feel this game is something to be very proud of, and if Valve themselves decided to remake half-life and produced this product, they would be pleased with the results. Some of the voice acting is less than great, though much of it is just fine.

In one playthrough I've virtually forgotten about just how long I've waited for this game and just how frustrated I was at being kept in the dark by the dev team, with years and years on end with no dev updates on the status of their project, and a false release date. It so far has lived up to my expectations completely. It hasn't bastardized or "modernized" Half-Life, it has somehow made me feel how I felt when I played Half-Life for the first time oh those so many years ago. I find myself constantly saying "that's neat that they thought of that" and smiling at the world that I am exploring and escaping from.

DocSeuss

I like this.

I like this a lot.

Where Half-Life is still one of the greatest games ever made (top 3, easily), Black Mesa actually surpasses it, from what I've played so far. In other words, barring some basic "we did this all for free" issues (mostly in the voice acting and a few animations), this game is actually better than anything Valve has ever made.

It reminds me why Half-Life 2 was never even close to the greatness of Half-Life. Where Valve was off dicking around with physics and trying to tell a story in its successors, these guys actually captured what made Half-Life great: the feeling of being in a real place. All these little touches they've added only serve to make Black Mesa feel like it exists, which is the whole reason people were so shocked by Half-Life when it first launched. Scripted events should increase the immersion of the game--enhancing it, in other words, rather than detracting from it by just being cool things that players can watch.

Absolutely love not being trapped in a stupid locked room listening to people talk all the time--though there were shades of that when Kleiner and Eli showed up, reminding me why I hated them so much.

Beyond their presence, the only complaint I've got so far is that I seem to be doing an awful lot of crouch-jumping. I'd really like to do some mantling instead--it'd work a lot more smoothly. My jump height seems kinda short overall.

I set a zombie on fire and it turned some sprinklers on. This game is amazing. Love how they repaced the guns, too. Getting the revolver before the shotgun improves gameplay flow.

Man, I really wish the flare was a normal weapon. It'd be a lot better than walking around with one floating in front of me.

The original is one of my favorite games of all time. I can't get over the level of detail. The quality of the writing. The authenticity. The voice acting (Eli doesn't sound like Eli, and that was jarring at first, but his voice acting is still GOOD)- also I think Eli died in my playthrough so far. So again, nothing different here.

I really, really can't wait to see what they do with the Xen chapters eventually.

Scrabble

so wait this is actually good? Because everything I was hearing from gaf before it came out made this game out to be awful.

jediyoshi

Been playing slowly so far just to savour the first playthrough, just got the shotgun. Been missing me some non regenerating health and destroying all the crates in the area for stuff.

The small details are neat, the haze near radiation, screen effect when getting shot by vortigaunts, blood and bits on your viewmodel when you shoot dudes near you (can't think of any games that do that off the dome).

Liking that most things are changed just enough so that I'm not totally breezing through everything from memory.

Don't remember houndeyes moving this fast ]:

CryptiK

so wait this is actually good? Because everything I was hearing from gaf before it came out made this game out to be awful.
Well it is GAF everything went to hell when I posted the screenahot release. But it turned out amazing its a shame we wont see the Blue Shift or OF re done

Also I turned SLI off and the game runs better

Just played up to Office Complex (?). This mod is fantastic so far. I'll probably disable crossfire to see if it gets rid of some random stuttering (2x5870s).

- J - D -

Hah, I braced myself for terrible voice acting after reading gaf impressions, but to my pleasant surprise none of it was bad at all. Not even Eli's. It sounds like an impression, sure, butit wasn't distracting.

I'll echo what others have been saying about the makeover: impressive.

I'm getting odd stutters though, even when I turn down the graphics options. It's odd, even turning on vsync to lock my 130+ fps to 60 didn't help.

jediyoshi

If you hate screen effects and non-hl1 standard abilities, both of which you can toggle, you're still doomed. Other main complaint revolved around voice acting which I haven't had a problem with, especially considering how much of it they did and it being free.

Top Bottom