• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

Maxrunner

Played up to and finished Unforeseen Consequences, saved in the elevator before Office Complex. Damn, there's a quite a bit to say and I've only skimmed the surface of the game.

- I spent over an hour playing before I triggered the Resonance Cascade, there's just so much new to see and do. The amounts of conversations, throwaway lines, and responses to accosting NPCs with physics objects amused me to no end. Standout moment was when a security guard pulled a fast one on me by saying the administrator was coming, I fell for it hook, line, and sinker, and glanced back at him after he started laughing at me. Also noteworthy were NPCs who moved in and out of scripted sequences on different ends of the room, or in the case of one I followed, walked all the way from a long hallway to the lobby, tossed a clipboard to a secretary and briefly talked to her, then returned from where he came afterward. Something like this is easily missed if you continue on past him.

- Level design alterations have been a controversial subject for a lot of people leading up to the release, but I really like what they've done with this aim. You're bound to come across more than a few new added rooms and broader restraints on where you can backtrack and explore in a level, or in the case of early Unforeseen Consequences, an element from a Half-Life 2 game (Episode One, in this case) makes an appearance. Did rather enjoy being given a boatload of flares to burn zombies with.

- Visually, there are a lot of great touches that I don't want to do without from now on. Chromatic aberration adds a nice splash of disorientation. Dynamic light on the suit batteries draws the player's attention to them in the now busier environments. Zombies of scientist and security guard alike, and the horrifying remains that once lay hid by the parasite. The Health and Energy dispensers have now been fully modeled with a number of moving parts that whir to life and deplete when you use them (gives HL2's a run for their money). But the biggest winner in my mind is what they've done with the FP hands. Splashing blood and (bullsquid) vomit all over the gun and HEV hands seems like a no-brainer in retrospect, it provides so much visual impact for something so conceptually simple. Draws the player into their present encounter that much more when they can literally dirty their hands in the process.

- Houndeyes! Not sure if I like their sound effects yet, though I have to admit I love the little animated sprite of pooling blood that forms beneath them once they keel over.​

Here is my 2c:

- I am currently in Office Complex. So far game is amazing. Black Mesa devs did amazing thing imo to recreate faithfully HL1 even soup event in kitchen. I like some changes to level design. Thanks to better lightning office complex is far better than in original.
- VA. This is suprise. Aside from few lines most of VA is good. Sure Eli sounds diffrent but it isn't worse VA. Kleiner VA is amazing it is how he sounds in HL2. They added a lot of lines in complex. Love it so far.
- Graphic is nice. There are few sections that feel outdated but also there are sections which feel good.
- Bug-free not a single bug yet.

If it was 30$ release i would gladly buy it.

where are those?

Berto

I'm starting "Blast Pit" now, my favourite level :D It has been awesome so far, "We've got Hostiles" was a bit meh, but so it was in Half-Life.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Does this mod have an all new soundtrack? Because some of the tracks are bitchin.

Yup! Click and enjoy Joel Neilsen's work.

Finished Black Mesa a few hours ago. Overall? The team did a GREAT job. They managed to stay faithful to the world of Half-Life, even when they altered it to their own designs (such as On a Rail.) I can't wait to see what they do with Xen.

If anyone is on the fence about trying this, hop off the fence and download Black Mesa. It was a refreshing way to play the beginning of the Half-Life series.

jediyoshi

I need an image for my steam grid!

reappropriated their greenlight logo

untitled-1rwugw.png

I installed had it running, changed video settings, then quit because I wanted to setup a controller, now I can't find the executable to launch the mod again.

Not in my steam list and I don't see an executable to launch it in the mod's directory. How do I get the damn thing running :(.

edit: Nvm, had to restart steam and it detected it.

Alright, I played up to We've got hostages and I have four "complaints":

1. Eli is atrocious. Dr. Kleiner is pretty fucking good but Eli. Oh god, Eli.

2. I'd love to know why I need to Ctrl + Space to jump on higher surfaces. I used it twice in HL1 and my memory is rather fresh. Weird.

3. Performance in some rooms tanks for whatever reason. There have been 2 so far where my framerate dropped to ~40 even though I should be beasting it.

4. The headcrabs need some tweaking, they keep on walking in the air and walls.

Other than that I really like it. And other than one occasion the music is great too. Gonna play some more next week after moving or so.

jediyoshi

2. I'd love to know why I need to Ctrl + Space to jump on higher surfaces. I used it twice in HL1 and my memory is rather fresh. Weird.

You use it a good chunk in HL1. They even made it a point of teaching you in the training course.

Any way to get this into 1080p? Also big picture mode is pretty cool.

Options -> Video tab

Unfortunately you can't navigate the main menu to actually get ingame with a controller

How do you install that?

Save image. Steam Library, change the view mode to grid. Right click the game -> Set custom image

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I played up to We've got hostages and I have four "complaints":

1. Eli is atrocious. Dr. Kleiner is pretty fucking good but Eli. Oh god, Eli.

3. Performance in some rooms tanks for whatever reason. There have been 2 so far where my framerate dropped to ~40 even though I should be beasting it.

4. The headcrabs need some tweaking, they keep on walking in the air and walls.

Other than that I really like it. And other than one occasion the music is great too. Gonna play some more next week after moving or so.

1. Agreed. They found a great Kleiner imitator, but the Vance one just doesn't sound like his HL2 counterpart.

2. Crouch-jumping has been a regular thing in pretty much all GoldSrc/Source games.

3. Yup. The very end of Lambda Core was making my framerate chug; otherwise, aside from a few spots, things went well.

4. I have not encountered this - perhaps I was fortunate.

You use it a good chunk in HL1. They even made it a point of teaching you in the training course.

2. Crouch-jumping has been a regular thing in pretty much all GoldSrc/Source games.

Again, I used it twice (2) in HL1. Right before We've got hostages where you have to reach the ladder at the other side of the elevator shaft is the one I clearly remember because I never had to use it before and was stuck for quite a while. I only recently played HL1 for the first time so my memory is fresh.

eot

Banned
When you crouch in the air in HL you basically pull in your legs, which is effectively like jumping slightly higher. In the later parts of the game there's also an item you get that supercharges your jump when you do a crouch jump, but that's something else. Not sure if you actually ever need it before Xen though.

I was stuck in that big elevator room for like 2 hours cause I couldn't jump on the boxes to get into the vent, I totally missed that crouch jump makes you go higher

EVIL

I can't remember the mp5's being this awful, also I turned off iron sights and the view bobbing since it was making me woozy and turned off all other "fancy" effects.

game play wise, there where some bits that where extra hard to platform trough in this version compared with the original.

Also it crashed on me.

Overall its alright, doesn't have the same feeling as the original, which I kinda miss, and all the scientists sound the same. It was alright in HL since there where far less of them, but in BM its quite annoying.

Anilusion

Not sure if I want to start playing this yet... any word on if the game saves will be compatible with the complete version?

jediyoshi

I can't remember the mp5's being this awful, also I turned off iron sights and the view bobbing since it was making me woozy and turned off all other "fancy" effects.

what weapons have iron sights? for the magnum does that disable the zoom too?

kSt

When you crouch in the air in HL you basically pull in your legs, which is effectively like jumping slightly higher. In the later parts of the game there's also an item you get that supercharges your jump when you do a crouch jump, but that's something else. Not sure if you actually ever need it before Xen though.
You get it right before going to Xen.

Forsythia

Just finished Blast Pit. The mod is absolutely great, although I'm not too fond of the music, but that's just nitpicking. This definitely deserves to be on Steam.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
It's only in the original Half-Life series. HL2 and beyond really simplify the platforming.

Nein. Crouch-jumping is very much present in Source games. Try getting into window in house in cs_italy without ctrl+space.

Top Bottom