• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

Sophia

Difficulty seems a bit higher than I remember. "We've got hostiles." practically forced me to Easy. :\

Fantastic mod so far, other than that. It feels like a retail release.

Epix

Made my own Steam Grid logo, it's not very good but it's a personal touch <3

itdGCKzxXr29o.png

Would you be willing to share that?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
This mod is so well done, it would be great if the team was rewarded in some way, taking so much time to make this.

It will be one of the first games available on Steam through Greenlight, if that counts for something.

xuchu

Anybody getting ridiculously slow download speeds for the torrent and otherwise? I suppose this is to be expected though.

I think I'm about half way through (Power Up) and I must admit that it was worth the wait. Painfully reminds me of how singleplayer storylines in FPS games are just an afterthought these days.

Cdammen

I'm just at the beginning of On Rails, this mod is sublime. The attention to detail is astounding and I love the use of physics, color, post-processing (when getting shot at, when you're near radioactive stuff). God damn this is good!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Difficulty seems a bit higher than I remember. "We've got hostiles." practically forced me to Easy. :\

Fantastic mod so far, other than that. It feels like a retail release.

It is definitely a little harder than the original Half-Life in some ways, but they do give you the .357 pretty early. I stuck it out on Hard :p

I was not heavily anticipating the mod, but I'm currently at On A Rail and the only way I can describe it is that it's delicious. Just excellent in every concievable way. That music in We've Got Hostiles when you see the surface for the first time...that was the shit for lack of a better vocabulary. Some screenshots from yesterday's adventures

Fire in the office? Sprinkler system activates. TECHNOLOGY!

7988732364_912a58944c_b.jpg

The amount of custom assets they used is crazy. I don't recall that fan being in HL2 at all.

7988732076_73f979e0cd_b.jpg

Not playing Office Complex like a JRPG? Try it out sometime. 2 Warriors, 1 White Mage, 1 Alchemist, 1 Berserker (.357 guy)

7988725933_5535dcf8b9_b.jpg

Razek

Banned
I've read the OP and such, but I just want to make sure while I have my backup drive hooked up. All I need for this is the 2007 sdk source stuff right?

Sub_Level

Game doesn´t show up in my steam list and there´s no exe files in the install folder. How do I start this again?

Did you torrent it? There's a Setup utility in the folder you should be able to click and it installs BMS to your Steam -> steamapps -> Sourcemods folder.

Worst case scenario: Re-torrent the mod with you exited out of Steam, at the end of the installation select to play the game (there should be a box check at the end of the setup). If it works then exit the game and start up Steam, should be there in your "All Games" list.

The folder is called "BMS" though without quotation marks so check where you installed it in your computer (Start -> type in the search box on the offhand chance you don't know). If it's not in the path mentioned above, drag and drop it in there.

7988801583_82741532cd_b.jpg

Did you torrent it? There's a Setup utility in the folder you should be able to click and it installs BMS to your Steam -> steamapps -> Sourcemods folder.

Worst case scenario: Re-torrent the mod with you exited out of Steam, at the end of the installation select to play the game (there should be a box check at the end of the setup). If it works then exit the game and start up Steam, should be there in your "All Games" list.

The folder is called "BMS" though without quotation marks so check where you installed it in your computer (Start -> type in the search box on the offhand chance you don't know). If it's not in the path mentioned above, drag and drop it in there.

Thanks for the reply, I installed it yesterday (downloaded from shacknews)and chose to launch the game after it finished.

It opened up steam and started the game but when I quit it wasn´t added to steam and that Steam->steamapps->Sourcemods folder is empty. Oh well, I´ll just try reinstalling it a third time. :p

Sub_Level

Thanks for the reply, I installed it yesterday (downloaded from shacknews)and chose to launch the game after it finished.

It opened up steam and started the game but when I quit it wasn´t added to steam and that Steam->steamapps->Sourcemods folder is empty. Oh well, I´ll just try reinstalling it a third time. :p

You might not have to reinstall. Try looking for where it DID install the thing and maybe you can drag and drop in the proper folder!

Angry Fork

Can someone help. I don't know the name of the level but I'm up to the part where you do the 4 laser things and then get one of the questionable ethics achievement notifications. I have to find a way to get into some autopsy room where you see robot arms moving around the door won't open. I've tried looking for an alternate way everywhere but can't find one, where am I supposed to go?

Also my thoughts: this isn't just a mod, it really is a full fledged game. It's like having a Valve-made Half Life remake, seriously it's that good. I hope these guys get a job at Valve or somewhere else because of this.

You might not have to reinstall. Try looking for where it DID install the thing and maybe you can drag and drop in the proper folder!

Ahh I installed it to D:\games\Black Mesa so should I just rename that folder BMS and drag to the steam path you mentioned?

Thanks again :)

Aurongel

A someone who literally played through the entirety of Half Life 1 last week, I can honestly say that this mod is indeed spectacular. My only gripe is that the weird difficulty spikes present in the original still exist and the whole crouch jumping thing is VERY overdone. I found myself audibly groaning when I found that I couldn't hop over a rail on the first railway you drive on.

Sh1ner

Can't believe I am saying this but I am impressed, I will keep playing, I haven't got the shotgun yet but I have met the marines.

Sub_Level

Can someone help. I don't know the name of the level but I'm up to the part where you do the 4 laser things and then get one of the questionable ethics achievement notifications. I have to find a way to get into some autopsy room where you see robot arms moving around the door won't open. I've tried looking for an alternate way everywhere but can't find one, where am I supposed to go?

Also my thoughts: this isn't just a mod, it really is a full fledged game. It's like having a Valve-made Half Life remake, seriously it's that good. I hope these guys get a job at Valve or somewhere else because of this.

Haven't gotten there yet but I think I kinda know what you're talking about. If it's anything like the original Half-Life, go to the top floor of the building. There's a laser or something that shoots against a wall. When the laser is activated, a blast shield descends from the ceiling. Before activating the laser, move a box under where the blast shield descends to jam it. The laser will hit the bare wall giving you an exit to drop down from. You'll now be behind the autopsy room.

Ahh I installed it to D:\games\Black Mesa so should I just rename that folder BMS and drag to the steam path you mentioned?

Thanks again :)

I would say look at the contents of the Black Mesa folder. If it has a BMS folder in it just move that, but if it has "Bin, cfg, materials, models, e.t.c." then yeah try renaming it to BMS and move it.

A someone who literally played through the entirety of Half Life 1 last week, I can honestly say that this mod is indeed spectacular. My only gripe is that the weird difficulty spikes present in the original still exist and the whole crouch jumping thing is VERY overdone. I found myself audibly groaning when I found that I couldn't hop over a rail on the first railway you drive on.

Had a friend play through Blast Pit yesterday. He was complaining about that the whole time haha. "So what the game is telling me is I have to crouch jump every single time I jump." Played HL, HL2, and their mods so much though it's become second nature.

Fireblend

Banned
Hmm, can't figure out if there's something wrong with my jump height; I know I should be using pipes to jump to the other side of a broken bridge (right at the beginning), but I can't reach to a higher pipe because it's too high. Any help?

I would say look at the contents of the Black Mesa folder. If it has a BMS folder in it just move that, but if it has "Bin, cfg, materials, models, e.t.c." then yeah try renaming it to BMS and move it.

That worked! I guess my problem was that I changed the default install folder name or something.

Razek

Banned
Yes! Everything went smoothly and I'm ready to play. I was really craving half life as well with all the HL2 vs. HL1 threads during the summer. I hope it lives up to the original!

I made my PC a gaming PC in 2008, so I missed the original Half Life. I count Half Life 2 and the episodes in my all-time top 5 games. I've owned Half Life for a while, but I just had a hard time accepting the ugly graphics. This team has done such a great service in allowing me to finally experience this game. And for free? I hope Valve rewards them for this. Maybe give them the resources needed to finish the game as quickly as possible.

JonnyBrad

Hmm, can't figure out if there's something wrong with my jump height; I know I should be using pipes to jump to the other side of a broken bridge (right at the beginning), but I can't reach to a higher pipe because it's too high. Any help?

Ctrl + jump. Ie crouch jump

Angry Fork

Haven't gotten there yet but I think I kinda know what you're talking about. If it's anything like the original Half-Life, go to the top floor of the building. There's a laser or something that shoots against a wall. When the laser is activated, a blast shield descends from the ceiling. Before activating the laser, move a box under where the blast shield descends to jam it. The laser will hit the bare wall giving you an exit to drop down from. You'll now be behind the autopsy room.

Nice this is what I needed thanks.

Tacitus_

How is the AI? Largely the same?

It's been ages since I played HL1, but from what I've noticed, the soldiers flank you, try to flush you out with grenades and hurt like hell. If a shotgun soldier rushes up to you and gets a shot off, you'll lose something like 50hp if you don't have armor. The only stupidity I've noticed from them is if you manage to backtrack through a door and they're pursuing you, you can mine the door to gib them.
Too bad their VA is hilariously bad. It's way overacted trying to be 'gritty'. Can't take them seriously when they yell "I'm gonna go medieval on your ass" in combat.

How do I launch Black Mesa? I played it last night when I installed Black Mesa after I downloaded Source SDK Base 2007, but now I cannot find a place to launch it. I cannot find Black Mesa under Steam's Game Library.

It seems like the only way for me to play the game is to launch BlackMesa-Setup.exe everytime.

Berto

What they did with "On a Rail" is outstanding, it was always my most hated chpter in Half-Life, now it's... great!

Top Bottom