• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

twofold

Too bad their VA is hilariously bad. It's way overacted trying to be 'gritty'. Can't take them seriously when they yell "I'm gonna go medieval on your ass" in combat.

I think the voice acting itself is pretty good. The script is awful though. By far the weakest part of the entire mod.

Tacitus_

I think the voice acting itself is pretty good. The script is awful though. By far the weakest part of the entire mod.

In general, yeah. The VA for the scientists and security guards is pretty good. But the soldiers are way, way overacted. They're grunting out every sentence and trying to appear as rough as possible.

xemumanic

reappropriated their greenlight logo

untitled-1rwugw.png

Where do you put this?

Also, where do I got after I get the Magnum? I'm totally lost.

Yeah sure,

ibqepkkZE005nk.png

Also made another hackjob based on another piece.

iWMJpPBEb7R3n.png

I hate to be a stickler, because you did a good job on these, and come to think of it, the thread title is also wrong, but the game is actually called Black Mesa, not Black Mesa Source. It was originally going to be called Black Mesa Source but I believe Valve asked them to drop "Source".

They kept the web address the same because people were already going there.

http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/Black_Mesa:About_the_Mod

I don't know if you care enough to change it or not, but thought you might want to know.

For the minority who are having problems finding Black Mesa in Steam after they installed Source SDK BASE 2007 and restarted Steam, look here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2935912&page=2

"Two potential solutions (from the Black Mesa forums).

1) Open your Steam library and right-click on any game you don't already have a shortcut for on your desktop and and just click on "Create desktop shortcut".

Right-click on the newly created shortcut and under the "web document" tab for the URL field, remove what is there and instead put the below line:

steam://rungameid/13540830642081628378

Save it and restart steam and then try to run that shortcut and see if it works.

2) If you installed the mod to a Drive\Path other than the one Steam is installed on, this can cause a problem.

If so, reinstall it to the same drive Steam is installed on into its DEFAULT directory and see if that helps. Doing so should also create a shortcut for you on your desktop to the game.

Hope the above helps."

Update: Method 1 works for me! :D

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Downloading now.

I've been waiting a long time for this but I just now had the availability to download and play it a bit.

eot

Banned
Questionable Ethics
The new 'bossfight' they added vs the grunts as you're about to leave the compound is a real kick in the balls. I had to try it probably a dozen times

Tigel

I just tried this and it's pretty good!
I didn't like that they messed with the crowbar placement though.
And is it just me or the Resonance Cascade was shorter than the original? In this mod they only show you vortigaunts but I'm pretty sure that in the original you see way more stuff.

tci

And is it just me or the Resonance Cascade was shorter than the original? In this mod they only show you vortigaunts but I'm pretty sure that in the original you see way more stuff.
It is shorter. In the original there are two more things that happen. The aliens will blink in and out of the room from the portals, and you warp to Xen 1 more time.

gabbo

I just tried this and it's pretty good!
I didn't like that they messed with the crowbar placement though.

It was shorter, and the slave vorts don't walk up to you in the original.
Still, so far, other than a few attempts at the container jump, it's been exactly what I wanted from it: Half-life in Source.

is it now up on steam yet? or you still have to download it through other sources? probably arent any achievments are there?

You will have to download it on it's own from one of the links in the OP.

Also, when Half Life came out in 1998 it didn't have achievements and it won 50+ GOTY awards. It doesn't need them now. No game needs them.

Angry Fork

I don't know if it was supposed to happen but I got the pistol before the crowbar which was odd but it was probably my fault for exploring and looking around so much.

is it now up on steam yet? or you still have to download it through other sources? probably arent any achievments are there?

There are achievements in-game but I don't know if you'll have to get them again once the Steam version goes up. I don't go for them personally but I do like seeing the little notification sometimes.

epmode

Black Mesa does have achievements, actually. They're just not tied in to your Steam profile yet. I assume this will be corrected when the game officially launches on Steam five years from now.

Razek

Banned
Wow, this is really good. I only wish I played the original HL more so I could relate and get that nostalgia. The only thing I remember about the beginning is the helicopter spinning up on the transit ride.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just started playing this game and I am having a ton of fun bugging the scientists with the physics system. These guys really put a lot of work into this game! When you walk into the locker room at the beginning of the game, I picked up the binder on the ground and started tossing it at the dude for fun, and to my surprise he had quite a lot of reactions to it. Then I went into the bathroom and gave the guy a roll of toilet paper, only to get an achievement for it. I don't know if these were in the original game but kudos to the mod team for executing this so expertly.

Tigel

It was shorter, and the slave vorts don't walk up to you in the original.
Still, so far, other than a few attempts at the container jump, it's been exactly what I wanted from it: Half-life in Source.

It is shorter. In the original there are two more things that happen. The aliens will blink in and out of the room from the portals, and you warp to Xen 1 more time.

Ah! Good to know that my memory wasn't playing tricks on me! I guess that they'll integrate back the Xen stuff in the Resonance Cascade when the maps will actually be done. I hope so at least.

I just started playing this game and I am having a ton of fun bugging the scientists with the physics system. These guys really put a lot of work into this game! When you walk into the locker room at the beginning of the game, I picked up the binder on the ground and started tossing it at the dude for fun, and to my surprise he had quite a lot of reactions to it. Then I went into the bathroom and gave the guy a roll of toilet paper, only to get an achievement for it. I don't know if these were in the original game but kudos to the mod team for executing this so expertly.

Yes, the toilet acheivement was pretty cool!

gabbo

They weren't in the original ("Achievements" weren't a thing until after the mod began development). I've chuckled at a couple of the achievements (toilet paper, microwave), but don't really care for them either, as they don't add any additional value to the mod in my eyes.

Jeseus said:
<schrondingers cat joke>
I keep expecting to see Portal/Aperture jokes on whiteboards or a console monitor, but so far none.

Lemonte

Game is pretty hard even on normal difficulty. Soldiers are accurate and I'm not. I still like more collecting med packs than waiting behind cover health to regenerate. Really amazing game so far. Worth the wait.

epmode

The ladders in this game are the worst. They are driving me crazy.
If you use them like HL1 ladders, I guess they would be bad. I haven't had much trouble using the Use button to get on and get off a ladder. Just make sure you're looking in the direction you want to go when you get off.

Razek

Banned

Same here. I've wasted about an hour just messing around in the beginning. I didn't realize you could use 'e' to pick stuff up so I restarted and did the whole thing again throwing crap, pushing the emergency button in the main lobby, ect. Also, the texture work is really impressive.

Edit: Lol. I walk into the bathroom, throw him the paper towels, "Thanks!" than throw the Chinese food at him and he responds "Keep your busy little hands to yourself freeman!"
HOW DID HE KNOW IT WAS ME?

Rapstah

I'm two or three chapters in and it's way better than I had expected. My only real complaint is that it is really easy to sequence break or get stuck with the physics... most elevators that are also level changes allow you plenty of time to just leave the elevator once you have pressed the button, stranding you until you load a save. I guess it's really hard to develop around that kind of stuff though.

FireFly

I'm at the part where you first fight the soldiers, and I still don't have the shotgun. I saw earlier it in a security room, accessible via a vent. Have I missed it, or should I keep going?

Toby

I'm at the part where you first fight the soldiers, and I still don't have the shotgun. I saw earlier it in a security room, accessible via a vent. Have I missed it, or should I keep going?

Keep going. I was a little worried I missed it too, but it's just a little further.

hiryu64

Hah, Hedy Lamarr.

Kleiner's headcrab in HL2 was named after her.

I keep expecting to see Portal/Aperture jokes on whiteboards or a console monitor, but so far none.

Considering Black Mesa and Aperture are competing firms, it would be strange. I would accept an Aperture namedrop in some sort of cost-analysis presentation or whatever, but definitely glad at the lack of CAEK IS A LIE ROLFOLFOFL THE LEMONZZZ.

Fireblend

Banned
Damn, great mod. Got to Blast Pit and decided that was enough for today. I'm really pleased; great graphics (that color distortion thing when you get hit is amazing), decent VA, the environment changes are really for the better and it seems way more engaging. Really enjoying it.

scitek

I think the best part of the mod for me is how well it ties to HL2 because of the physics and overall updated look. I tried playing the original game a couple of years ago and it was just really hard to get into it because of the graphics and same exact scientists and security guards repeating everywhere.
sorry
Also, the dynamic shadows from the flashlight add a LOT to the atmosphere IMO.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit you guys.

You guys, holy shit.

This game is amazing. I remember playing the original Half Life waaaaaay back in the day but I don't remember much of it and honestly I thought it was boring at the time. This version of it, however, is blowing me the hell away. The non-regenerating health system, the limited ammo, the music, the atmosphere, the enemies, everything is on point.

This may end up being my GOTY, which is crazy because I didn't even hear about it until yesterday.

eosos

Banned
Ugh, got some motion sickness when I started playing today for some strange reason. Is there a FOV that would help combat that?

Rapstah

Ugh, got some motion sickness when I started playing today for some strange reason. Is there a FOV that would help combat that?

There's a FOV option, but there's also options to turn off the view bob and how the view tilts when you strafe. That helped a lot for me. You can basically make it handle like HL1 in that respect, ignoring how movement works.

Razek

Banned
Fucking Barnacles.. After all these years, they still creep me out badly.

Yeah, me too. I get queasy feeling by them. Though I had a pretty funny glitch on one. I started taking damage for no reason. I looked around trying to figure out what was hitting me. Apparently I was 'snagged' on one of there lines but allowed to run free. It was munching away on the ceiling like it was attacking me. Kind of lame but I didn't mind because I saved a second before hand.

So if this game is Greenlighted will it be available for Mac? I still haven't played the first Half-Life, and no versions of it are available for Mac, apparently including this.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So if this game is Greenlighted will it be available for Mac? I still haven't played the first Half-Life, and no versions of it are available for Mac, apparently including this.

They would have to port it to one of the more recent variants of Source that has proper Mac support.

eot

Banned
In Surface Tension the super human abilities of the grunts start to get annoying. They have instantaneous reaction time, perfect vision and incredible aim. It forces you to play the game in a way that isn't as fun. In the original I preferred playing on Hard because the grunts lived long enough to actually move around and do things, and that made the fights interesting. It wasn't just "see enemy, kill enemy, move on", you had to keep moving and switching weapons. But there's no room for that in BM (on Hard) because if an enemy sees you it's shooting you, and hitting you, ten out of ten times, so you can't afford to be in their line of sight and not killing them right away. It's something I really hope they address if they plan to patch the game.

Also, the grenade physics seem to be lifted from HL2 and I never liked it there. In HL1 I can throw a grenade exactly where I want it, every single time, but in BM they never go where I want them. It's a weird throw, and it has that HL2 issue of not coming out of the centre of your screen, so if you're peeking around a corner it's probably going to clip a wall. They're also not as powerful as they should be IMO, their impact radius needs to be a bit bigger.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Holy shit you guys.

You guys, holy shit.

This game is amazing. I remember playing the original Half Life waaaaaay back in the day but I don't remember much of it and honestly I thought it was boring at the time. This version of it, however, is blowing me the hell away. The non-regenerating health system, the limited ammo, the music, the atmosphere, the enemies, everything is on point.

This may end up being my GOTY, which is crazy because I didn't even hear about it until yesterday.

This post makes no sense to me.

Back in the day Half-Life had very competitive graphics and unrivaled atmosphere. It also had non regen health, limited ammo, great music, and the same exact enemies.

How is it psossible to play it back then, when it was even more mind blowing, and think it was boring, then play the graphical overhaul a decade later and have it be your GoTY?

Top Bottom