• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

tpax

Banned
Haha, and I thought I was the only one who tried to keep them alive.

Nope

6A73393C67890AB6FB7F633C22876C5B6068FCA3

Great mod. That is really something I would spend few $$ on.

calder

This post makes no sense to me.

Back in the day Half-Life had very competitive graphics and unrivaled atmosphere. It also had non regen health, limited ammo, great music, and the same exact enemies.

How is it psossible to play it back then, when it was even more mind blowing, and think it was boring, then play the graphical overhaul a decade later and have it be your GoTY?

He might have been too young to really enjoy it then? Only thing I can think of.

Razek

Banned
Question: Is there some super jump ability or something? The jumps they expect you to make while climbing up things seem pretty ridiculous. Like to get to the security room through the vent in chapter one, I had to glitch up a barrel for each jump to the next crate. That can't be normal right?

dalin80

Banned
He might have been too young to really enjoy it then? Only thing I can think of.

Sometimes games don't click for whatever reason or other.

I hate HL2 and simply cant replay it today as each time my brain kicks over to flu mode as I was mighty ill when I first played it, to this day there are parts which I simply don't know if they were in the game or in my head as I was utterly out of it and borderline hallucinating.

Stitch

Gold Member
Question: Is there some super jump ability or something? The jumps they expect you to make while climbing up things seem pretty ridiculous. Like to get to the security room through the vent in chapter one, I had to glitch up a barrel for each jump to the next crate. That can't be normal right?

crouch-jump

Razek

Banned
crouch-jump

I knew I missed that prompt. I can't figure it out though? I've tried every combination of crouch+jump and I can't get any extra height. I'm stuck on the pipe climb over the sewer.

Edit: Never mind, it doesn't give you any visual indication of 'extra height'. It just glitches you up a height object. That's not so great game design there.

In Surface Tension the super human abilities of the grunts start to get annoying. They have instantaneous reaction time, perfect vision and incredible aim. It forces you to play the game in a way that isn't as fun. In the original I preferred playing on Hard because the grunts lived long enough to actually move around and do things, and that made the fights interesting. It wasn't just "see enemy, kill enemy, move on", you had to keep moving and switching weapons. But there's no room for that in BM (on Hard) because if an enemy sees you it's shooting you, and hitting you, ten out of ten times, so you can't afford to be in their line of sight and not killing them right away. It's something I really hope they address if they plan to patch the game.

Yeah I'm a bit stuck in Office Complex because the vortiguants shred me so quickly, and before that the turrets.

I knew I missed that prompt. I can't figure it out though? I've tried every combination of crouch+jump and I can't get any extra height. I'm stuck on the pipe climb over the sewer.

Edit: Never mind, it doesn't give you any visual indication of 'extra height'. It just glitches you up a height object. That's not so great game design there.

It doesnt glitch. It pulls your feet up.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This post makes no sense to me.

Back in the day Half-Life had very competitive graphics and unrivaled atmosphere. It also had non regen health, limited ammo, great music, and the same exact enemies.

How is it psossible to play it back then, when it was even more mind blowing, and think it was boring, then play the graphical overhaul a decade later and have it be your GoTY?

Because I didn't play it when it was released, I played it many years after. At that time the graphics were terrible.

And back then, limited ammo and non regen health were the norm, so the game wasn't doing anything special. Today, we've gotten so used to regen health and tons of ammo in shooters that this game is extremely refreshing.

calder said:

Also this.

cbox

Great mod so far, some things are missing but that's ok.

I'd love for someone to give me the ability to use the original sounds. Part of what made the original so great was the sounds, ( atmosphere, guns, etc ).

Razek

Banned
Great mod so far, some things are missing but that's ok.

I'd love for someone to give me the ability to use the original sounds. Part of what made the original so great was the sounds, ( atmosphere, guns, etc ).

I miss the healing sounds the most. It's like taking RE's safe room music away.

Started last night and this was great, but just saw the guy with the J.C. Denton avatar in another thread and thought --- could someone PLEASE do this with Deus Ex (1) :O Same idea I guess, I think I've heard rumors that Eidos will do this at some point :p

Whompa

So far it's pretty fun!

-It looks decent for current gen.

-Music is great.

-The voice acting and new dialog is spotty...

-Gun sounds are spotty as well. Some I really like, some sound soft.

-There's a lot of changes to the level design, some really good, some seem pointless. I found myself upset with the Blast Pit. It felt more condensed and less of a, "wow" when you first see it.

-You cant jump down the first big elevator, it just auto reloads you back. I don't particularly find that kind of change to be, "better" because it restricts the more open, yet guided, feel Half-Life had to begin with.

-The tram crash no longer sends you SOARING unless I did it wrong it just sends you about 10-15 feet...which is a bummer.

-Encountered a few bugs, with one big bug where Gordan ended up getting stuck between a wall and a pipe without any way of getting out...

-The barnacle is sort of busted. Not like it was perfect in HL1, but it was at least further improved in HL2.

-It's free, so honestly all the stuff I've said is really pointless. Its WAY more than worth the value.

kharma45

I'd been meaning myself to play the original Half-Life now for years but with the chance that Black Mesa could actually release always made me hold off in the chance that I could play it, can't believe I've finally got the chance!

Thought I might post this for anyone interested in seeing the game running not just some of the screens posted in this thread. It's a bit rambly and stuff but it's my first time so you'll have to excuse me if it's not all that exciting :p just the first 20 mins or so of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lSSe8-7pWU

Razek

Banned
So far it's pretty fun!

-It looks decent for current gen.

-Music is great.

-The voice acting and new dialog is spotty...

-Gun sounds are spotty as well. Some I really like, some sound soft.

-There's a lot of changes to the level design, some really good, some seem pointless. I found myself upset with the Blast Pit. It felt more condensed and less of a, "wow" when you first see it. Also, you cant jump down the first big elevator, it just auto reloads you back. I don't particularly find that kind of change to be, "better" because it restricts the more open, yet guided, feel Half-Life had to begin with.

-The tram crash no longer sends you SOARING unless I did it wrong it just sends you about 10-15 feet...which is a bummer.

-Encountered a few bugs, with one A-list where Gordan ended up getting stuck without any way of getting out.

-The barnacle is sort of busted. Not like it was perfect in HL1, but it was at least further improved in HL2.

-It's free, so honestly all the stuff I've said is really pointless. Its WAY more than worth the value.

Right, it's free, but I think we can fairly give some criticism. We all get that they did a good job and met the expectations (I feel anyways). I think it just adds some talking points for this thread.

As for another annoying thing I love:

Security: Hey, here comes my buddy, we got you help!"
Gorden: OH crap he is a monster!
*pulls out pistol unloading half the reserve hoping to save the security guard.

Nope, he was an invincible enemy :( and my last save is at the start of the chapter. Sigh...
Common guys, test this crap.

The Marine dialogue and voices are spotty, but the security guard voices and dialogue are pretty good (and they have different faces rather than being Barney clones).

Some effects seem incredibly demanding. Every time I get hit by Bullsquid acid or some of the enemies teleporting it causes a big framerate drop.

As for another annoying thing I love:

Security: Hey, here comes my buddy, we got you help!"
Gorden: OH crap he is a monster!
*pulls out pistol unloading half the reserve hoping to save the security guard.

Nope, he was an invincible enemy :( and my last save is at the start of the chapter. Sigh...
Common guys, test this crap.

The only place I know of where that happens is Office Complex, and that zombie isn't invincible. Then the guard opens the door and you get the magnum (shotgun in Half-Life).

FireFly

Keep going. I was a little worried I missed it too, but it's just a little further.
Ok, so I reached the surface, and still haven't got it! Surely I've missed it?

If so, can anyone give me some idea of where to look for the vent leading to the shotgun?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The only place I know of where that happens is Office Complex, and that zombie isn't invincible. Then the guard opens the door and you get the magnum (shotgun in Half-Life).

I feel like the zombies are invincible once they get into their "grabbing and killing a dude" animation.

Razek

Banned
The Marine dialogue and voices are spotty, but the security guard voices and dialogue are pretty good (and they have different faces rather than being Barney clones).

Some effects seem incredibly demanding. Every time I get hit by Bullsquid acid or some of the enemies teleporting it causes a big framerate drop.

Okay, I checked youtube and this is the part here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01OlUVFo3k&feature=player_detailpage#t=266s

Am I supposed to be able to save him?

eot

Banned
Ok, so I reached the surface, and still haven't got it! Surely I've missed it?

If so, can anyone give me some idea of where to look for the vent leading to the shotgun?

I don't think I got the shotgun until
The end of "We've got hostiles" when you return to the beginning of the level but you're behind the glass. There's shotgun lying there on the desk (just like in HL1).

I love the scope detail on the crossbow, looks way better than the one in HL2 even because you can actually see through it. Playing through this is just reminding me how awesome the weaponry was in Half-Life, and how HL2's were a step back in this regard. I love using satchel charges and tripmines, and the real tragedy is that they were combined into the SLAM and included in HL2:DM, but never incorporated into the actual game for the player to use.

dalin80

Banned
Yeah I'm a bit stuck in Office Complex because the vortiguants shred me so quickly, and before that the turrets.

Vorts seem to fire in half the time they did previously and have the aim of the gods. Soldiers have eyesight that would make hubble feel a bit limp and insane accuracy with a machine gun.

Sethos

Banned
I hate to be a stickler, because you did a good job on these, and come to think of it, the thread title is also wrong, but the game is actually called Black Mesa, not Black Mesa Source. It was originally going to be called Black Mesa Source but I believe Valve asked them to drop "Source".

They kept the web address the same because people were already going there.

http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/Black_Mesa:About_the_Mod

I don't know if you care enough to change it or not, but thought you might want to know.

Dammit, oh well - Thanks for the heads up.

iUlwYOSC3Kcgm.png

ibhDEId3PlWejp.png

Jintor

Vorts seem to fire in half the time they did previously and have the aim of the gods. Soldiers have eyesight that would make hubble feel a bit limp and insane accuracy with a machine gun.

Sometimes they'll actually start firing accurately in your direction before their "just spotted you" animation finishes playing, so their gun will discharge in a completely different direction but you'll still get shredded.

wrowa

It's amazing how fascinating HL1 still is to this very day. I just wanted to look into the mod for a few minutes and the next time I look on the clock two hours have passed. So far the mod is definitely doing the original justice -- in all honesty, I would have never expected that.

dalin80

Banned
I've done more crouch jumping in the first hour of this game than the last 10 years of gaming combined

Definitely a bit of a odd decision to make the player crouch jump for every single lip, ledge or level he comes across. cant remember jumping being such a pain in the backside all those years ago.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I've done more crouch jumping in the first hour of this game than the last 10 years of gaming combined

Truth.

Such a great mod overall though, I could sit around a nit pick it to death probably. But you can tell that there was a massive amount of care and love that went into this and I respect that.

FireFly

I don't think I got the shotgun until
The end of "We've got hostiles" when you return to the beginning of the level but you're behind the glass. There's shotgun lying there on the desk (just like in HL1).

Got it now.

Razek

Banned
Thank god this game emphasizes quick save/load. Found a game breaker: If you get an infinite health item like a turret stuck in a fire door, the door can't close and you can't cancel the closing. Thus you get stuck forever. I had a pretty good laugh at this.

AKA this:

DocSeuss

I gotta be honest: I think this is better than any game Valve has ever made, minor issues of production value aside. There's so much intelligence and interactivity here, and the Marine AI is a complete joy to fight with. They actually require intelligence from you as a player!

I absolutely fucking love Black Mesa. Wow.

Razek

Banned
I gotta be honest: I think this is better than any game Valve has ever made, minor issues of production value aside. There's so much intelligence and interactivity here, and the Marine AI is a complete joy to fight with. They actually require intelligence from you as a player!

I absolutely fucking love Black Mesa. Wow.

I agree with this except for the AI comment. Alert them, run back to a safe spot, and shoot them all as they enter a narrow door seems to be a simple strategy.

Edit: Crap, first hard lock.
Edit2: eh, don't care you can load your quick saves anyways.

Necron

Black Mesa is fantastic, the amount of detail they put into the opening segment is amazing. The atmosphere has improved so much because of it all...

Stitch

Gold Member
Have you played the original HALF LIFE? The way they work in Black Mesa is the way it originally worked in Half Life.

Yeah, played it when it was released. I'm pretty sure that I was able to just run up to it. Mhh or was that HL: Source? Aww man I can't remember.

Jintor

Thank god this game emphasizes quick save/load. Found a game breaker: If you get an infinite health item like a turret stuck in a fire door, the door can't close and you can't cancel the closing. Thus you get stuck forever. I had a pretty good laugh at this.

AKA this:

I got stuck behind a door once :/

I've noticed that the head bob options only save for the game session. If I exit the game and restart it I have to reset that option again.

Top Bottom