• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

bee

as you start to play it , it really is a case of "holy shit i'm fucking playing black mesa!". played through the train and i'm mid way through the corridors, it's very high quality for a mod and that's what you've got to judge it against, other mods, not multi million dollar retail games

very impressed with that initial opening, just pausing to use steam tool to move it to an ssd drive , source engine loading :/ no errors or anything so far, gonna see how to get 3D surround running on it, performance is usual source, 90-300fps maxed at 1080p on single 670 (no sli support)

Exuro

This is soooo good so far. Don't remember if it was in the original but the lounge and bathroom interactions are excellent

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
black mesa and duke nukem forever...the world really must be ending

Not just yet.

fn9mM.jpg

Berto

This is soooo good so far. Don't remember if it was in the original but the lounge and bathroom interactions are excellent
The alarm was in the original, the bathroom wasn't :D

I didn't find the G-man yet =( He appeared two times in the HL first chapter but he wasn't there.

Chris R

Ehm... no offence, but did you expect a mod team to rewrite all the grapics programming int he game to the GL compliant source engine? Kinda of a lot to ask for...

Haven't been following this at all, but I thought that was the point of this, to get it running on the latest source engine. Guess I was just confused. No worries, just wanted to download and install it at work on my Macbook instead of waiting to get home to install it on my PC.

oatmeal

Banned
So this is just a remake of the original half life? Why I'd this take so long and why is it so hyped when HL Source exists?

scitek

Downsampled from 3200x1800 + 8xMSAA

They did a pretty great job with the mod so far, I think.

Whoever they did to voice Kleiner is fucking spot-on, btw. Sounds and looks just like a younger version of him.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Haven't been following this at all, but I thought that was the point of this, to get it running on the latest source engine. Guess I was just confused. No worries, just wanted to download and install it at work on my Macbook instead of waiting to get home to install it on my PC.

The mod has been in progress since 2004 and the Source Engine has had a "latest version" about every year since then.

LogicStep

Well I'm downloading it. Been waiting for this for a long time. I haven't played the original (or any other HL since I wanted to beat the first one) because I just can't stomach it. Hope playing this will be just as good, if not better than playing the original.

The alarm was in the original, the bathroom wasn't :D

I didn't find the G-man yet =( He appeared two times in the HL first chapter but he wasn't there.

I found him already :). If you are talking about the bathroom in the locker room, it was there in the original Half LIfe.

So this is just a remake of the original half life? Why I'd this take so long and why is it so hyped when HL Source exists?

HL:Souce just adds ragdolls and source water shaders to the original goldsrc version. This is a remake from the ground up in the 2004 + Source engine. They basically built the whole game all over again using the original HL as the template. That means the only shortcut they had was that they didnt have to design the game. But everything else had to be built from the ground up.

Annoying bug since I installed this. Steam icon is half green as if I'm half way through a download. Annoying, but harmless : ) It will probably go away next time I get an actual patch or download.

The game just keep loading that first intro screen, can't play the game at all. Anyone else having this problem?

I haven't had any problems what so ever, sorry :(. Maybe if i restart doesn't work as much as it sucks maybe you should try uninstalling and reinstalling the game?

scitek

Yeah, because you are having to pay so much for this right? That thread showing gameplay had everyone shitting on the game, oh noes optional ironsight this is the worst thing ever!!

I'm playing with a controller and there's not even a bind for using iron sights. They can be turned off in the options, too, like you mentioned.

MedIC86

Is this the same engine as half life 2? or is it a modified HL1 engine? (its source right?) because i dont remember HL2 looking this bad :p

Is this the same engine as half life 2? or is it a modified HL1 engine? (its source right?) because i dont remember HL2 looking this bad :p

Go play HL1, looks nothing like it, what are you comparing this game with? Source engine has a real nice "realistic" feel to it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Wow. This is pretty damned well done. Just got my crowbar. (after I got my pistol funny enough).

Going to really enjoy playing through this. And to think its free..

Forsythia

I like how there are some small changes to the levels, keeps it fun, even for those like myself who have played Half-Life 1 a million times. The voiceacting is very good too. I'm really impressed.

hym

Banned
I'm about 1 hour in, really impressed by the attention to detail, it's been at least a year since I played Half-Life but so far I'm convinced this does a better job at communicating a sense of dread and despair after the resonance cascade, they went much further than simply a graphical overhaul and that always brings the risk of messing up what made the original good but I'm satisfied, worth the wait.

I whacked a headcrab off a scientist and wasn't prepared for what I found underneath, it gets even more gruesome by looking into his skull from the other side but I won't spoil that.

457l5.jpg

Aeana

Loading window during intro tram ride reminded me that this is indeed a Source game!
Moving game to SSD now (._. )

MedIC86

40KB/s -.-

But my ISP throttles torrent downloads. They only go fast at around 2AM.

I had that problem, do you use uTorrent? and if so, try encrypting your protocol (its an option in Preferences>bit torrent> do outgoing enabled/forced) try both to see what gives best results.

Ydahs

I'm torn here. I've waited off playing the original because of version, but now it's incomplete. I really want to dive in though...

edit: eh, downloading it anyway

Top Bottom