• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

Blizzard

Banned
I'm torn here. I've waited off playing the original because of version, but now it's incomplete. I really want to dive in though...
If I can get a download to work I'm just going to dive in. I've only played HL2. So at least you won't be alone. :p

Jackpot

Banned
It was being done for free which meant the people working on it had to have real life jobs, no shock that it took so long/delayed.

Being free doesn't mean it can't be criticised and no one can deny the team went out of their way to squander any good will they had earned.

Clevinger

Being free doesn't mean it can't be criticised and no one can deny the team went out of their way to squander any good will they had earned.

However, being free/working on it in their free time does protect it completely from the "Why wasn't it released sooner!!!" criticism, which is what he was talking about.

First negative of the game. No light switch in the lab across from where you first see the G-Man.

I probably played the original HL 20 to 30 times. But I havent played it even once since HL2 came out. But I can still remember where everything is. Amazingly memorable design in this game.

alf717

I got a vertex error or something like that. Told me to ask an Admin to up the vertex. I'll play a little later though getting that old Half-Life 2 motion sickness feeling.

Adamm

Playing this now, love it!

Maybe its been too long since ive played the original, but so far I like this more.

Another negative. No suit status message when you first put on the hazardous environment suit : ( I dont expect the game to be a perfect remake, but that is an iconic moment for HL.

As someone who has followed this since the announcement, always believed it will come out and could potentially be a better experience than the original, these positive impressions make me happy (and smug because so many people were down on it!)

Can't wait to play it tomorrow.

Cronen

So I have just downloaded and installed the game. It has now appeared in my Steam Library, however pressing "Play" does nothing. Any tips?

What is the fastest mirror? I tried the direct downloads and they were slow and now tried the torrent but that is being slow too. I don't usually torrent, is it because I have Comcast?

By slow I mean single KB/s slow (I have fast internet)

EDIT: It just jumped to hundreds of KB/s sweet, will do some homework now then play :D Didn't play Half Life 1 (well only the 1st level), but I have seen most of Freeman's Mind so I am familiar with the game. Can't wait!

VashTS

So now that they're just about finished, they're gonna work on Opposing Force and Blue Shift?

=(

Hopefully valve sees that there's interest in putting more effort being put into remakes and a large market.

Falifax

It didn't wanted to start the game because of the Big Picture beta so I went to Steam settings and changed beta participation to "NONE", restarted and it just started updating the SDK.

So when is this coming to Steam? I don't want to start playing and then not have my achievements/gametime count :<

I would not hold my breath about the game coming to steam any time soon. Developer said they have not even talked to Valve yet about a timetable for the game to come to Steam.

Won

So far not so bad. Blew up a microwave, put on a suit, crowbared some zombies. It's Half-Life.
Feels good to be in a better looking version of Black Mesa. Was always on of my favorite videogame settings.

kharma45

Played the first 20 mins, really impressed.

My first time playing Half-Life too, I've finished HL2 and both episodes but I'd always been waiting for this to come out to try the original.

Tried both torrents several times today, absolutely no download speed. Finished the shacknews download only to tell me the archive was corrupted. :/

Top Bottom