• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

magawolaz

Not sure why Steam is downloading also the Source SDK 2006.

First time playing Half Life series :) I guess I'm ready.
Anything I need to know?

Currently downloading a paltry 130 kb/s. Not very good, but better than others here so I can't complain I guess. Looking forward to it.

Jackpot

Banned
However, being free/working on it in their free time does protect it completely from the "Why wasn't it released sooner!!!" criticism, which is what he was talking about.

Not when it's the result of basic mismanagement and the mod team put out their own missed release dates.

Anyone have SweetFX running on this yet?

I can't find the executable for the game to properly set up the files. If anyone can point me to the damn exe (or if the exe is in a different folder), I can probably take it from there.

Lemonte

yeah... can someone tell me path for launching the game for desktop shortcut. Installer didn't make shortcut or anything in the steam library. :(

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Pretty impressive level of detail, but I forgot how much I disliked the early section of Half-Life.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So this is not the entire game? Not familiar with HL1 chapter names.

Its pretty much the entire game save for the ending levels which need a lot more work to remake, as they were considered the biggest flaw of the original half-life.

So the devs are taking this opportunity to maybe correct the wrongs of the last levels by changing them.

scitek

So this is not the entire game? Not familiar with HL1 chapter names.

No, they are still working on the final part. This is the vast majority of the game, though.

On another note, I'm wonder if the positive impressions will help motivate them to finish it in a more timely manner.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
No, they are still working on the final part. This is the vast majority of the game, though.

On another note, I'm wonder if the positive impressions will help motivate them to finish it in a more timely manner.

Well between that and Steam Greenlight I would say they have a lot of momentum at the moment.

The Kleiner voice is perfect, geez. Eli not so much. I like that they've taken some artistic license whilst still remaining pretty faithful to the source material. Kleiner got a little more hair heh.

Someone tell Metalmurphy that theres a quick save and load button (f6 and f10)

DieH@rd

Banned
Game looks great. Steam screengrabs:

2012-09-14_00001hyqtx.jpg

2012-09-14_000131brgx.jpg

2012-09-14_000161ooke.jpg

2012-09-14_000178tr8f.jpg

2012-09-14_00018i0ovz.jpg

Sibylus

Banned
Just got back from work about twenty minutes ago. Site was down when I left, had to go through two mirrors before I found a working one now, got an hour to bide while I wait for this to finish (which works out fine, have some dishes and food to attend to).

This may just be the largest singleplayer mod I've ever downloaded. Shudder to think of how big it'll weigh in at when Xen and Deathmatch are added into the mix.

@OP: You should probably add "and including" to the disclaimer, less confusing that way.

Tain

So do the enemy grunts actually act like they do in Half-Life?

tryna figure out if the upgrade in tech is worth the potential mechanical downgrades that this seems likely to have

Ciastek3214

tryna figure out if the upgrade in tech is worth the potential mechanical downgrades that this seems likely to have

I've yet to see any downgrade, mod plays pretty much the same as original.

scitek

Yeah, what's easily the worst thing about this mod is after you download and install it, the original game ceases to exist.

nan0

They captured the atmosphere from HL1 really, really good. Looks gorgeous and plays well. The beginning was a bit of a stretch, but so was the original game. Some more shots:

I experienced some minor bugs, such as an invisible Houndeye (the first you encounter) or the HEV voice message "Blood toxin levels detected" when walking through icy environment.

I'm assuming they'd be able to move and shoot, unlike in the original.

Out of curiosity, is there any particular reason they couldn't move and shoot in the original, or was it just simply a "limitations of the time" thing?

Razek

Banned
Whoa, I forgot this was coming out today. I guess I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day, thanks!

Edit: After the 5 hour download apparently :(

Download is 3 GB's.

I wish they'd have been allowed to use all of the original music and suit/intercom voices. I guess if they replaced it then it was because they couldnt.

Top Bottom