• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mesa Source |OT| Do you know who ate all the donuts?

xJavonta

Banned
This x1000. Gaf is quick to hate everything pre-release and the amount of hate this got was pretty crazy.

I didn't see much hate, just disappointment for how long it was taking. I was among the ones who hated the voice acting (still do) but was looking forward to the mod regardless.

eot

Banned
I've yet to see any downgrade, mod plays pretty much the same as original.

The Revolver feels a bit weaker to me. Or the hitboxes on the alien slaves' heads are much smaller than in HL1. I used to take them down clean almost every time. That thing also has quite the kick now. The thing that stands out to me the most is actually all the missing weapon spawns. No shotgun when I was expecting a shotgun hehe. Thank god they took out that box moving puzzle to reach the ladder in Office Complex though.

Also, no introduction from the HEV suit when you pick it up. I had to recite it myself.

iLcX9oMgDAqZs.jpg

ibxJ9ducmm0URn.jpg

ibytk6669A7Bjm.jpg

i2IUdYB0c80fr.jpg

iY9HKDwamPnzQ.jpg

1920x1200 + SweetFX glory

Owensboro

Good god, have I already been playing this thing for 6 hours? Hahaha, Love it. This mod is great so far. I'm up to "On a Rail" and need to take a break. Anyone know if the following were in the original? It's been so long since I played it.

1. Glow in the dark blood from enemies, as well as that blood getting on whatever gun you are using / your hands if you are too close when you shoot them.
2. Power cable puzzles.
3. "Find the gear" puzzles.
I don't remember any of those from HL, but actually really like their addition.
Already had a game breaking bug in the first 10 minutes. Fell out of the first elevator, didn't get the loading screen, unable to proceed (even with noclip), had to start over. Also, some NPC just disappeared in front of my eyes.
Weird, I've only had one glitch yet while playing for so long, and all I had to do was reload an autosave that was a few rooms behind.

Oh, and there was that time I saw a table glitch in a door and kill a scientist causing their body to explode with amazing force, but I consider that a feature.
I really liked the houndeye sound effects, pretty neat.
Yeah, and their glow as they are about to fire, and the resulting "explosion wave" is a neat effect too!

Darkangel

I'm really impressed with what I've played so far (half way through Office Complex). They've taken a few artistic liberties, but they are usually in good taste and add to the experience.

I liked how "unstable" they made the test chamber seem with all the shaking, it really made you feel like the machinery was being pushed beyond its limits. The overall presentation is great, I hope the rest of the game has the same level of quality.

Steam Screenshots:
PXYCS.jpg

19w91.jpg

qk13x.jpg

SndkW.jpg

Noema

My body is ready for this; sadly my main HDD died and won't be able to play until I get a replacement. Hopefully it'll be on Steam by then. Much more convenient.

-BLITZ-

I've reach the Hostile level and saved after I got my hands on that SMG. Not a single error or crashed happend during my playthrough on tens of reloadings, loadings and deaths. Sweet!

For the moment for me the mod is splendid, though I know this is a remake, prefered how the default Source Revolver looks like.

Download is 3 GB's.

I wish they'd have been allowed to use all of the original music and suit/intercom voices. I guess if they replaced it then it was because they couldnt.

I recall reading that the replacement of the HEV suit voice was a conscious decision. The original HEV suit voice is one of the assets made available in the Source SDK I believe.

xJavonta

Banned
Just so I'm clear, what exactly is it about the Steam version that people want? As far as I'm aware of, this isn't just a "shortcut", it's an actual mod installed on Steam in the Steam directory. Is it achievements?

Ydahs

Looking at the screenshots only, this is a mighty fine effort by a bunch of amateurs. Hopefully with all these positive impressions they'll kick things into second gear and get the final chapters churned out by early next year.

Feep

Banned
So, like, I've never played the original Half-Life, and I was sort of waiting for this to see if it would be any good.

So...HL1 or BMS?

Just so I'm clear, what exactly is it about the Steam version that people want? As far as I'm aware of, this isn't just a "shortcut", it's an actual mod installed on Steam in the Steam directory. Is it achievements?

Some combination of achievements, community features, ease of download, and not having to install the SDK base I imagine.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Watching MetalMurphy's stream and it looks great. You guys think this will run on my laptop? Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz and integrated Intel HD graphics?

I just now have gotten to " WE HAVE HOSTILES " and am thoroughly impressed with how they have updated the game faithfully and yet added their own touches to it.

This mod is so good that I think it will win my personal GOTY. Only Half-Life, and only a near perfect remake of Half-Life, deserves such high esteem.

Watching MetalMurphy's stream and it looks great. You guys think this will run on my laptop? Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz and integrated Intel HD graphics?

You won't have issues. My laptop is just a little bit better and I didn't have problems. Sometimes I get better performance after the first run of Source games and mods though.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It will run yes, but not at very pleasant settings.

Aww man. I figured HL2 was old enough that Source games would run at pretty high settings lol.

Edit:

hardcastlemccormick said:
You won't have issues. My laptop is just a little bit better and I didn't have problems. Sometimes I get better performance after the first run of Source games and mods though.

Oh goody, I'll be downloading this once I get back from work.

Fuct

Neo Member
So, like, I've never played the original Half-Life, and I was sort of waiting for this to see if it would be any good.

So...HL1 or BMS?

Well, Black Mesa Source (BMS) is noticably different from HL at times (from what I've seen). If you haven't played HL by now, you're never gonna get the orignial experience anyways (at least ten years too late for that). That said, so far BMS is the highest quality mod I've ever played. Go with BMS, unless you really are able to get into games which are older than the earliest game you've played (I know I can't).

Feep

Banned
Well, Black Mesa Source (BMS) is noticably different from HL at times (from what I've seen). If you haven't played HL by now, you're never gonna get the orignial experience anyways (at least ten years too late for that). That said, so far BMS is the highest quality mod I've ever played. Go with BMS, unless you really are able to get into games which are older than the earliest game you've played (I know I can't).
Dude, how young are you? I was playing games way before Half-Life.

That said, early 3-D aged incredibly badly. I think I'll roll BMS.

kharma45

Spent an hour and a half uploading my first 20 mins of gameplay to YouTube and it ended up all letterboxed somehow :lol :( time to try again!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Dude, how young are you? I was playing games way before Half-Life.

That said, early 3-D aged incredibly badly. I think I'll roll BMS.

Half-Life really didnt age as badly as earlier games like Quake or console 3D games.

Half-Life doesn't have the best textures or effects but maxed out it looks very clean and easy on the eyes. Definitely playable.

That said BMS looks pretty freaking phenomenal.

solarus

So...HL1 or BMS?

I'm in the same situation and I've been playing BMS, I doubt think we would be losing much by playing bms it's superior to the original in every aspect from what I've seen (I played like an hour of hl1).
EDIT: Also early 3d looks like dogshit now.

xJavonta

Banned
Some combination of achievements, community features, ease of download, and not having to install the SDK base I imagine.
Ahh okay. I guess it doesn't apply to me since I already have the SDK installed (I would imagine it would install it anyway, right?) and I ditched achievements when I went PC. To each their own though.

That's why Half-Life Source exists.
The level geometry looks the same to me. (in HL vs HL:S)

Ahh okay. I guess it doesn't apply to me since I already have the SDK installed (I would imagine it would install it anyway, right?) and I ditched achievements when I went PC. To each their own though.

The level geometry looks the same to me. (in HL vs HL:S)

Source looks a lil nicer overall.

Top Bottom