• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong Development Budget Was $70M, Planned to Be a Series Based on Chinese Mythology

black-myth-wukong-scorpionlord-1-1536x864.webp

Game Science’s breakout hit Black Myth Wukong oozes AAA quality, and it seems the game’s budget reflected that as well. Hero Games, the biggest external sharholder in the studio, divulged that the development cost for crafting the action game was a whopping $70 million (USD) across six years, which is an unheard of for a Chinese-developed game.

This was confirmed by Hero Games boss Daniel Wu in a recent interview with Bloomberg. Back in 2017, Wu paid 60 million yuan ($8.5 million) for Hero Games’ 20% stake in Game Science. Initially, that seemed like a bad deal given Game Science’s unsuccessful string of games (mostly for mobile). All those are in the rearview mirror now, as Wu also revealed that Black Myth Wukong has already sold 18 million copies in just its first two weeks availability — a number very, very impressive even if you compare it alongside behemoths such as Elden Ring, or even Call of Duty.

What’s next for Wukong? While Game Science plans for it to be a “series based on Chinese mythology,” the next part of it will be DLC, though outside of that, there’s no info about it revealed just yet.

xi you ji magic GIF

LectureMaster

Gold Member
the development cost for crafting the action game was a whopping $70 million (USD) across six years, which is an unheard of for a Chinese-developed game.
This is only true for single player titles, there are many MMO projects in China from Tencent and NetEase cost more than this.

And up till now, the whole studio is only around 150 people. Very impressed with their productivity.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

And up till now, the whole studio is only around 150 people. Very impressed with their productivity.
You can produce anything when your only and only objective and focus is on your work and doing the best product you can ... something lost in west development culture unfortunately where people still think is normal taking 8 years to do a shitty game

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Who knew making stuff people would want to play would work out?
Great to see the success of some games this year. Palworld, Helldivers 2, this.

70 million earned by 150 devs over 6 yrs in China.

Something is not adding up. I think a lot of work was done by support studios and a lot of funds were diverted there.

Or maybe they have some other way of calculating.

Mr Moose

Something is not adding up. I think a lot of work was done by support studios and a lot of funds were diverted there.

Might've included marketing, which costs a fuck load.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I bet those animated sequences at the end of each chapter costed a lot to make. There's also the music recording and the voice acting to take into account. Wonder if the marketing costs are being taken into account too.

Last edited:

Bitstream

You can produce anything when your only and only objective and focus is on your work and doing the best product you can ... something lost in west development culture unfortunately where people still think is normal taking 8 years to do a shitty game
well, 6 years to make a decent game, and then another 2 years to shoehorn shitty sweet baby inc ideas into it

What are the salaries for developers in china. Highly thoughtful they earned between 100,000 $ and 200,000$ like they do in North america.

For software companies, employee salaries is their highest expense.

Top Bottom