• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleach Manga |OT| Return of the King

LordCanti

I'll be shocked if we see Toshiro, Yachiru, etc again until some sort of finale where Mayuri unleashes his new zombie horde.

been wondering. dont' watch wrestling... but is being a Bleach 'fan' pretty much the same as being a WWE fan?

Sure

Is he alive? I wanted to see him kickass with that Kusarigama in this arc but i feel like we hadn't see him at all.

Also, Yachiru's (shikai?) and bankai...

Hisagi was standing around one or two chapters ago. He's fine.

Yachiru is gone, man. She's Kenpachi's sword, I think.

Her fight with Grimmy's made up Sternritter alludes to that.

Astral

So why did Aizen hate the Soul King so much? It seemed like he had a serious, justified grudge against him but I don't see what reason there is to hate him.

Chariot

So why did Aizen hate the Soul King so much? It seemed like he had a serious, justified grudge against him but I don't see what reason there is to hate him.
He still owns him money. Look at that smug face when the Soul King is cut down. It screams: "Well, at least I don't have to pay Aizen now." This is also the point at which Aizen joins the war. Bach cut down the own who owns him money and can't pay him instead. After all they weren't working for 200 years, and even with Bach the legendary god beggar, they didn't make much more than what they needed to survive.

LordCanti

I don't think he liked the idea of being ruled by a dismembered body that's frozen in a block of whatever.

The highest level of existence and the thing holding all of creation intact being that thing as Aizen described it, was probably too much for him. Maybe he figured he could do better.

Good question, the Soul King doesn't seem to be even a real individual, more like a device.

Hystzen

Aizen was a arrogant prick who felt he was above everybody else. So finding out that a fucked up body in a block is God made him pissed. Ignored that this being keeps everything going from shit he was one who wanted to replace it as a true God figure not a weird thing in a block.

Also I got bets probably be something like his essence passed onto person who kills him so Bach being a massive pussy and killing SK himself stopped himself attaining god hood. Would also tie into Aizen going after SK to be true God

kmax

Aizen wanted to become God himself. He insinuated that at the end of the SS arc when he flew up into the sky to be with his space buddies. Yhwach's different as he already is a God that has a grudge against the one that created him, so he at least he's settling a beef that he's had for over a thousand years.

Aizen's just a jealous fraud, but you can't help but love the guy when he constantly has that smug on his face.

Yado

Hisagi was standing around one or two chapters ago. He's fine.

Yachiru is gone, man. She's Kenpachi's sword, I think.

Her fight with Grimmy's made up Sternritter alludes to that.

Ehhh, didn't he already have his sword when he met her? Didn't he learn the name of his sword? Why would his sword have it's own sword with it's own shikai?

Idk, I think it would be pretty lame if her character just disappeared to be a sword but it's Bleach so you may be right.

Ehhh, didn't he already have his sword when he met her? Didn't he learn the name of his sword? Why would his sword have it's own sword with it's own shikai?

Idk, I think it would be pretty lame if her character just disappeared to be a sword but it's Bleach so you may be right.
He had "a" sword. The swords Imayi makes aren't granted until you get into the academy.

And a zanpaktou is only a portion of the shinigami's soul, so she could have been an outward manifestation of his power that he couldn't control nor understand.

Yado

He had "a" sword. The swords Imayi makes aren't granted until you get into the academy.

And a zanpaktou is only a portion of the shinigami's soul, so she could have been an outward manifestation of his power that he couldn't control nor understand.

Ok say that was a random sword he had when he met her, she would still already have been a physical entity at that point, before he got his actual sword from the academy and she was a random kid he met in a village.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ok say that was a random sword he had when he met her, she would still already have been a physical entity at that point, before he got his actual sword from the academy and she was a random kid he met in a village.

That's the thing, he never got an "actual" sword. He never went to the academy. He showed up at seireitei as some random stranger (who happened to have a brief encounter with Unohana in the past), killed the previous captain of the 11th squad, and became the new captain.

It's conceivable that after years of using his corpse-picked sword, he imprinted enough of his own reiatsu upon it that it started to materialize as Yachiru. Which is weird, since sword spirits don't really have corporeal forms, they just appear that way in the user's head. And they certainly don't get their OWN zanpakutou. There's definitely some explanation that'll have to happen here if she ends up being related to his sword.

Zaraki already called his zanpaktou. It's definitely not Yachiru. Would have been obvious fan prediction. Let it be what it is. Besides who makes a zanpaktou a vice captain? Like who does that?

Plus it being a giant
meat cleaver
is ridiculous tbh. I could have done better than that.

Do we still not know what Unohana's bankai does exactly? Melts and heals you over and over?

Kenpachi better do something a lot bigger in this arc, seems a waste to kill Unohana just so Kenpachi can fight some irrelevant character like imagination boy.

Zaraki already called his zanpaktou. It's definitely not Yachiru. Would have been obvious fan prediction. Let it be what it is. Besides who makes a zanpaktou a vice captain? Like who does that?

Plus it being a giant
meat cleaver
is ridiculous tbh. I could have done better than that.
He called his sword and Yachiru disappeared...

And Kenpachi named Yachiru when he met her... A nameless child who happens to appear in the wake of him wrecking some thugs and is unphased by the violence.

And the last time we see the child before she disappears, leaving only her clothes behind?

vypek

And Kenpachi named Yachiru when he met her... A nameless child who happens to appear in the wake of him wrecking some thugs and is unphased by the violence.

And the last time we see the child before she disappears, leaving only her clothes behind?

*link removed*
Sounds like you might be right. Hm, if true then it is kind of disappointing for me.

Yado

Anyone know what chapter it is where they show that she's gone and her clothes are left?

I'm still kind of salty about Unohana's death. I mean, Kubo wasn't doing anything with her character anyway but still...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The Unohana reveal made no sense. Like, why did her personality change so drastically? Nobody was alive back then realized that she was the first Kenpachi? It felt so contrived.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The Unohana reveal made no sense. Like, why did her personality change so drastically? Nobody was alive back then realized that she was the first Kenpachi? It felt so contrived.

Shunsui and Ukitake knew she was a Kenpachi/Beast thats why they feared her.
Heck Shunsui had her train Zaraki specifically because he knew there should only be one Kenpachi and he needed the strongest one to be left alive.

She too on the healing mask im guessing after the divisions came to be being that she learnt so many high level healing techniques her and genrysai probably decided her skills were of better use as a healer and she relinqished the kenpachi name.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Actually it's funny if you go back and read everyone's interactions with Unohana. Virtually everything she says is a veiled threat.

Joni

She was made out to be extremely powerful. She caused Aizen to retreat in a situation where it was him with Gin versus her and her vice-captain. Him retreating gave them the chance to out Aizen as traitor, so it is not like he had reason to let her live.
She was stated to be amongst the oldest living captains, only being second to Yama, as withnessed in the Turn Back The Pendulum Arc.
She often scared away other captains, including Utikate and Shunsui.
We always knew she was superstrong. It just took long to find out how strong.

scarlet

So his sword (Yachiru) has shikai.

A shikai inside a shikai?

She was made out to be extremely powerful. She caused Aizen to retreat in a situation where it was him with Gin versus her and her vice-captain. Him retreating gave them the chance to out Aizen as traitor, so it is not like he had reason to let her live.
She was stated to be amongst the oldest living captains, only being second to Yama, as withnessed in the Turn Back The Pendulum Arc.
She often scared away other captains, including Utikate and Shunsui.
We always knew she was superstrong. It just took long to find out how strong.
Plus, I remember when they released the pentagram power stats, Unohana was the random "wtf" as she was stronger than every other captain at the time other than Yamamoto.
So his sword (Yachiru) has shikai.

A shikai inside a shikai?
She isn't Kenpachi's shikai, guys, that's kinda silly. Kubo already did that with Lilinette. :p She's just MIA right now.

Looking like anti vaccinators a bit. Kubo couldn't be any more heavy handed about this...

Also, keep in mind how often Yachiru has translated what Kenpachi was feeling about a fight or certain opponents.

Even her Shikai resembles his in a weird sort of way.

So like, can shinigami slow down how fast they age when they reach their prime or something?

Why does Unohana look so young, why is Yama old as dirt compared to everyone else, even the zero squad? How long does a shinigami stay in their child form?

These are the hard questions that must be answered.

Kubo and "subtlety" don't exactly mix.

The Unohana stuff was dumb simply because, hey, yeah, you're in the middle of the biggest war ever, you might not want your BEST HEALER to die so "there can be only one".

But then again Bleach stopped making any narrative sense a long time ago.

The Unohana stuff was dumb simply because, hey, yeah, you're in the middle of the biggest war ever, you might not want your BEST HEALER to die so "there can be only one".

Yeah but no one is died anyway so it made better sense to have kenpanchi there, he is the only guy that would be able to defeat that reality bending kid.

Yeah but no one is died anyway so it made better sense to have kenpanchi there, he is the only guy that would be able to defeat that reality bending kid.

Eh as a plot device though there are so many Shounen tropes he could have used otherwise that would have fit better.

I just think this whole arc has gone so far off the fucking rails from chapter one that there's really no fixing it.

Nocebo

Guys, I suppose it is fun to think about stuff. But remember that this is a comic aimed at little boys and by those standards the writing is rather poor even. I wouldn't burn too many braincells on it.

Guys, I suppose it is fun to think about stuff. But remember that this is a comic aimed at little boys and by those standards the writing is rather poor even. I wouldn't burn too many braincells on it.

Nah you are right, it's why despite the writing being garbage, I can enjoy the anime because it looks pretty and the fight choreography is usually pretty decent.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
She isn't Kenpachi's shikai, guys, that's kinda silly. Kubo already did that with Lilinette. :p She's just MIA right now.
A zanpakuto can also materialize as a person. That's not a shikai. Who knows what would happen if it was kept materialized for years at a time?

Slayven

That whole thing made so little sense.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I never realized that stuff about Unohana. That's pretty cool that it was hinted at since the beginning. Definitely don't remember her causing Aizen to retreat.

Joni

Looking through the Bleach Wikia again for this, I just realized how screwed up Chōjirō Tadaoki Sasakibe was in the fight with Ichigo. This is one of the oldest serving shinigami, having reached his Bankai before Shunsui and Utikate. Ichigo one shots him.

She was also bending reality, so she probably could have defeated the kid.

Two ducks that Unohana isn't really dead and Kenpachi just killed the Kenpachi inside her or such nonsense.
Or he kicked her for being stupid about killing her.

Why does Unohana look so young, why is Yama old as dirt compared to everyone else, even the zero squad? How long does a shinigami stay in their child form?
He might just be that old compared to the others. He founded the Shinigami Academy 2100 years ago and served as its head back then. He looked like this over 2000 years ago.

C504P11_Yamamoto_gains_new_scar.png

Compare that to Unohana who was the first Kenpachi, he sought her out when he founded the Gotei 13 about a 1000 years ago. If you were to say Yamamato at Shinigami Academy founder age was about the same age as Unohana around the Gotei 13 foundation, he has a 1000 year headstart on her.

Squad 0 might either be in the same case or they might not age while up there. Hikifune is clearly the youngest, she was known during Turn Back The Pendulum so she has the right to look young. Kirinji was a Captain, so he comes after Yamamato founds the Gotei 13. We don't know anything about Shutara. That leaves us with two problems: Nimaiya who is the father of all Zanpakutō. You can't have Bankai without one of his creations. We know Sasakibe had his bankai during the Shinigami Academy days. So he has to be at least 1500 years old, but looks quite young. Either Yamamato is way older than we think or you don't age in the royal dimension. Ichibē Hyōsube, same problem, he names stuff. He is the first with a Zan that gained an evolved form. So Ichibe and Nimaiya are too old and look too young for the Royal Dimension and Soul Society to have the same aging concept.

Top Bottom