• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleach Manga |OT| Return of the King

Arabesque

Kubo didn't design them himself, rather it was the anime character designer Masashi Kudo who designed them from scratch. Kubo did say that he loved them all so much he wished he could use them in the manga, and I suppose he finally found a way to work them in now.

The design for Katen Kyokotsu were some of my favourite from that filler arc, so I'm glad he used them. Shame the fights themselves had been severely disappointing thus far, but this is Bleach after all.

Muramasa confirmed?

Pls no. The human designs for the spirits were fun for the most part, but Muramasa was just lame like all filler villains turn out by the end of their arcs.

Khezu

The Zanpakuto filler arc was the most interesting Bleach had been since Soul Society.

It shit the bed with the ending though.

Probably in the minority on this one.

Arabesque

The Zanpakuto filler arc was the most interesting Bleach had been since Soul Society.

Soul Society really was the highlight of the series. The fillers had their moments for sure, and beyond them all ending horribly, they were more fun than the manga had been post-Soul Society.

It shit the bed with the ending though.

Probably in the minority on this one.

Nah, I think that's the general consensus. Filler arcs start of interesting, have very strong episodes with lots of interesting moments, then it all takes a sharp turn to disaster and wasted potential.

Sort of like how the manga ended up now, come to think of it,

I did like that they started doing individual one of episodes after the storyline ended. That was just silly fun.

Yado

I stopped paying attention to Bleach ages ago but I just stumbled upon this article and does a good job describing why many people have lost interest with the series.

Agree or Disagree?

Not a lie in sight.

I honestly think the Fullbringer Arc was the lowest point of Bleach and one of the worst things I've ever read. I get annoyed just thinking about it and I don't understand how after all these years Kubo still thinks it's ok to keep cramming these shitty characters no one asked for or will care about into the plot.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I honestly think the Fullbringer Arc was the lowest point of Bleach and one of the worst things I've ever read. I get annoyed just thinking about it and I don't understand how after all these years Kubo still thinks it's ok to keep cramming these shitty characters no one asked for or will care about into the plot.

I skipped that arc entirely and feel that I missed literally nothing of consequence.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I stopped paying attention to Bleach ages ago but I just stumbled upon this article and does a good job describing why many people have lost interest with the series.

Agree or Disagree?
Great write-up and spot on about everything.

Yado

Disagree with you. This Quincy war is even worse than the Fullbringer Arc.

I don't find any of these characters to be as detestable and useless as those flop ass fullbringers. There was nothing good about it. Nothing. The only thing worse than that arc is Dondochakka and Pesche.

Wasn't the Kenpachi fight lackluster?
Ken: Fuck you, I'm so strong!
Quincy: Oh yeah? Well, it doesn't matter how strong you are; I can alter reality!
Ken: Oh yeah? Well, fuck that, I'm even stronger than that!
Quincy: Oh snap, you're too strong! BARRRRGH! *Dead*

Recap for you.

Linkark07

Banned
I don't find any of these characters to be as detestable and useless as those flop ass fullbringers. There was nothing good about it. Nothing. The only thing worse than that arc is Dondochakka and Pesche.

Dunno, those quincies are terrible, boring and awful, especially the dude that controlled people. Think his name was Pepe. That was disgusting and a big low of Kubo.

But Fullbringers were a big mistake from Kubo too. Only one I found mildly interesting was Shuu-chan.

Ken: Fuck you, I'm so strong!
Quincy: Oh yeah? Well, it doesn't matter how strong you are; I can alter reality!
Ken: Oh yeah? Well, fuck that, I'm even stronger than that!
Quincy: Oh snap, you're too strong! BARRRRGH! *Dead*

Recap for you.

I knew there was a reason why my mind didn't want to remember that fight.

Khezu

I liked the idea of the Fullbring arc, sorta anyway.

It just was really poorly timed.

It should have happened right after the Soul Society arc as a breather between that and Mexico.

It should have also focused on Chad and Orhime instead of Ichigo gaining back his powers.

Then the manga should have just ended at Mexico, and avoided the fake Kankuro town nonsense.

Otherwise the only good thing about Fullbring was best girl Riruka.

Kain

This Quincy arc had a couple of chapters where stuff actually happened, we saw Kenpachi's shikai, Mayuri doing awesome things, and it gave us the return of glorious master troll Aizen... but the rest was just Kubo-shit at its worst. Most of the quincies are boring, and though Ywach's backstory and powers are cool as all fucks, he has been doing mostly nothing just "I'm god lol". He even won the fights he's been involved in an Aizen way, just doing nothing and being "cool". But he's not Aizen so he's not cool. At this point I really don't care about Ichigo's new powers or whatever, now that we have seen that Shunsui's Bankai is a complete joke I have no hope whatsoever for Urahara's (as he's the only cool character left in my book) to be any good.

At least the Bount arc isn't canon, right guys?

It shouldn't...

Aizen is so overrated it's hilarious. The dude is Naraku with a cool outfit. gtfo

The whole Ywach-Yamamoto fight was entertaining, I felt. The "wtf" transition into the next chapter explaining Boyd's origins was something so cool Kubo hasn't done it in an eternity.

ohlawd

Kyoraku's bankai is legit good

the only thing that went wrong is he had to use it on someone who is bullshit personified. Lille's shtick is intangibility

SoulUnison

Banned
Aizen is so overrated it's hilarious. The dude is Naraku with a cool outfit. gtfo

The whole Ywach-Yamamoto fight was entertaining, I felt. The "wtf" transition into the next chapter explaining Boyd's origins was something so cool Kubo hasn't done it in an eternity.

Naraku already had cool outfits. His baboon-robe and his blue kimono were pretty bitchin'.

SoulUnison

Banned
I still don't understand why he can't/don't use it on public?

My understanding is that everyone in a certain radius gets pulled into his "underwater despair" arena, and since it seems to be a contest to see who can last the longest, there can probably only be one survivor.

Kain

My understanding is that everyone in a certain radius gets pulled into his "underwater despair" arena, and since it seems to be a contest to see who can last the longest, there can probably only be one survivor.

Unless you specifically have bullshit powers that counter that specific ability and none of that matters, as is usually the case with Bleach.

I mean, to give an example of the contrary, Naruto is not the best manga ever, but sometimes Kishimoto pulled some genius like for example Lee vs Gaara, when one guy is clearly at a disadvantage but he still pulls his weight and the fight is entertaining. In Bleach every character has a counter-character and oh, what a coincidence, they always fight against each other.

just wanted to point out that the water part of shunsui's bankai isn't water, it's supposed to be reiatsu i believe

anyway, how many more sternritter do we have to kill before the final battle?

Once Ywach is dead Bleach can be laid to rest, right?

Eusis

just wanted to point out that the water part of shunsui's bankai isn't water, it's supposed to be reiatsu i believe

anyway, how many more sternritter do we have to kill before the final battle?

Once Ywach is dead Bleach can be laid to rest, right?
Depends on if they pull a fast one and make Uryu the final boss. BUT RIVALS!

Depends on if they pull a fast one and make Uryu the final boss. BUT RIVALS!

oh yeah, i forgot bleach is trying to be naruto these days too

Agree or Disagree?

I agree with most of this, but in my opinion the Hueco Mundo - Fake Karakura Town - Aizen Defeat stretch was the best part of the series.

I also think they're wrong about Aizen's character arc. While he does stop relying on clever schemes, I think it's very realistic and relatable that he would do that. As his power grows, and his arrogance grows, why should he rely on having to make schemes when he can just overpower all of his enemies?

His goal was never to win using his smarts, he wanted everyone to know he was above them, and so I think his defeat at Ichigo's hands was a nice moment.

My thoughts, anyway.

Linkark07

Banned
I also think they're wrong about Aizen's character arc. While he does stop relying on clever schemes, I think it's very realistic and relatable that he would do that. As his power grows, and his arrogance grows, why should he rely on having to make schemes when he can just overpower all of his enemies?
Has any character continued using clever tactics when he/she gets almighty powers? Cant think of anyone.

Nocebo

Agree or Disagree?
Mostly agree. I don't agree with that it should have necessarily ended when Aizen was ended. If the story was set up properly a new big bad antagonist would have been acceptable. The bleach world has a lot of potential but even with the tons of characters it feels empty and small for some reason. No interesting locations in huecomundo aside from aizen's castle, right? And what about soul society? Nothing.

Wait, if you are the soul king and know there is a sword that can kill a God, shouldn't you destroy that sword? Or why would it even come to existence under your rule to begin with? Perhaps this predates the soul king... o_O

I got to admit though, the sword looks pretty cool.

scarlet

Wait, if you are the soul king and know there is a sword that can kill a God, shouldn't you destroy that sword? Or why would it even come to existence under your rule to begin with? Perhaps this predates the soul king... o_O

I got to admit though, the sword looks pretty cool.

My 1st thought too. Maybe a one time use only?

Chariot

Wait a second. Weten't the swords supposed to be reflections of ones soul? Why are inheritable now? Also I get to take it from hwr, but why were YOU using it? How could you even?

scarlet

Wait a second. Weten't the swords supposed to be reflections of ones soul? Why are inheritable now? Also I get to take it from hwr, but why were YOU using it? How could you even?

Because Ise family is different. Shunsui keeps the sword, he doesn't use it. That's my understanding

Joni

I always assumed Tousen was using the sword of his dead friend.
And Hitsugaya battled someone for the rights to use his ice sword, but that depends on how canon The DiamondDust Rebellion is. Hint: not very much.

Kain

I think I, surprisingly, get what Tite is trying to convey here: Shunsui, as all shinigamis, has one sword, but he is keeping in his soul or something the sword of his in-law. This affects his soul in a way that his own sword became two separate swords but his shikai and bankai remained apparently unaffected. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if now we learn that this other sword was impairing his own powers and now he becomes stronger or whatever.

So wait is he dating his niece?

Also that sword is awfully convenient.

I think it's implied it's a one side love. And yes, of course the sword is convenient, that's the Bleach way: Tite is a bad writer and he only knows how to create abilites and their counterparts, he doesn't even think of ways to overcome said abilities with other existing abilities.

I think I, surprisingly, get what Tite is trying to convey here: Shunsui, as all shinigamis, has one sword, but he is keeping in his soul or something the sword of his in-law. This affects his soul in a way that his own sword became two separate swords but his shikai and bankai remained apparently unaffected. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if now we learn that this other sword was impairing his own powers and now he becomes stronger or whatever.

I think it's implied it's a one side love. And yes, of course the sword is convenient, that's the Bleach way: Tite is a bad writer and he only knows how to create abilites and their counterparts, he doesn't even think of ways to overcome said abilities with other existing abilities.

Explained in this way it actually makes sense that his zanpakuto is 2 swords. Whats not making sense now is the fact that Nanao doesn't have a normal Zanpakuto. I thought all Shinigami had one.

scarlet

]I always assumed Tousen was using the sword of his dead friend.[/B]
And Hitsugaya battled someone for the rights to use his ice sword, but that depends on how canon The DiamondDust Rebellion is. Hint: not very much.

It isn't? I thought it was his dead friend's too.

Explained in this way it actually makes sense that his zanpakuto is 2 swords. Whats not making sense now is the fact that Nanao doesn't have a normal Zanpakuto. I thought all Shinigami had one.

He kinda explain it in this chapter. Ise family doesn't have regular zanpakuto.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I thought all Shinigami had one.

It's not a fundamental trait, they're given one in the academy to imprint on, but coming from a priest family Nanao never reveived one. It's likely that she became a Shinigami under Shunsui's watch somehow, maybe he supported her membership without one.

Mr Git

Has any character continued using clever tactics when he/she gets almighty powers? Cant think of anyone.

This is a great observation. I think tactics generally always go out the window when they get super godlike powers. Getting bigger seems to be the downfall for all characters who do it.

Enjoyed this chapter if only to see Nanao being badass, although already wondering which Vice Captain is gonna level up next. It's probably Matsumoto isn't it.

Top Bottom