• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

In fact, the prices make Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey absolute must "TRY"s, at least, for any self-respecting JRPG fan.

FOr the love of god, though, play Dragon on Hard Mode.

P.S. You really can't judge an RPG by a demo. I've learned that already. BDragon's demo wasn't great and I absolutely love this game. You can't show a single slice of a 60 hour epic and expect it to represent the game. At these prices its almost like renting them, at least in Blue Dragon's case.

chriskun

In fact, the prices make Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey absolute must "TRY"s, at least, for any self-respecting JRPG fan.

FOr the love of god, though, play Dragon on Hard Mode.

P.S. You really can't judge an RPG by a demo. I've learned that already. BDragon's demo wasn't great and I absolutely love this game. You can't show a single slice of a 60 hour epic and expect it to represent the game. At these prices its almost like renting them, at least in Blue Dragon's case.

I hated the demo and after picking this up I am enjoying it. The visuals are pretty amazing, it has full japanese voice option which is nice, and the gameplay is pretty good. As with all jrpgs though, there are some design choices that are ass backwards. Whoever thought that going up to every object and pressing 'a' was a good idea needs to be flogged by everyone who bought this game.

Aaron

chriskun said:
Whoever thought that going up to every object and pressing 'a' was a good idea needs to be flogged by everyone who bought this game.
That's completely optional though and you even get rewards for collecting 'nothings.' If I have any fault with BD it's the loading times for interiors and the slowdown in battle.

It's not like you are pushing "A" for nothing though. The amount of reward you accumulate in the 50+ hours of playtime by searching is staggering when considered.

Even the "nothings" you find are redeemed for cool items! Literally everything you find has some value and there are sometimes even perminent statline increases to be found. It's worth it. This is coming from somebody who TOLD HIMSELF BEFORE STARTING that I wouldnt be one of those OCD searchers. The rewards are just too great to pass up.

I need some feedback.

I finished Blue Dragon using the hard mode mod. I know that before I started I looked for information on how the mod changed the game and could find almsot none and no reviews, so I think this review can be useful. When I think it is acceptable, I will network to get it put up at some websites.

Anyway, I would REALLY like some feedback. For those who played the game on hard mode, is there anyting i missed that should be mentioned?

For those even who have not played hard mode, if you pretend that you are thinking about hard mode and are considering whether or not to try it based on this review, is there anything that you would like to know that isn't in the review?

I want this to be as useful as possible. Yes there are lots of words. :D It only takes a minute or two to read and I would really appreciate it, as I went through this trouble to help others and want it to be useful.

Thanks for any feedback that can be given!

===============

BLUE DRAGON HARD MODE REVIEW

By Rodney Desjarlais

There were certainly lofty expectations for Blue Dragon prior to its release. Hironobu Sakaguchi of Mistwalker, famed for his work on the Final Fantasy series, wrote, designed, and supervised the project. The artistic design of the world and its characters were the work of Akira Toriyama, who is known for his work on the Dragonball Z show and the Dragon Quest series. Nobuo Uematsu, also famous for his work on the Final Fantasy series, provided the musical score. With three legends in the RPG development scene behind it, Blue Dragon was highly anticipated.

I was among the many who had such high expectations and I felt let down when I read the initial reviews. The reviews were favorable for the game overall, but I kept reading in multiple reviews that it was too easy. These statements caused me to hold off on buying the game when it first came out, but my brother went ahead and bought his copy. As I watched my brother play the game my fears were confirmed. The game was not just easy, it was a cakewalk. To me this is a fatal flaw for an RPG. If an RPG is too easy, you are not encouraged to fully utilize the game’s systems and do not have incentive to be creative in using it to your advantage. With a game this epic with 60 plus hours of gameplay, you need to be engaged with the game’s systems simply in order to not get bored.

So I passed on playing the game and it did not regain my attention until a new series of difficulty levels were released as free downloadable content, one of which was a hard mode. This release rekindled my interest in the game as it potentially addressed what I considered to be the game’s biggest flaw. I took the plunge and started the game on hard mode. 80 plus hours later I look back with warmth at my time with Blue Dragon and wholeheartedly thank the powers that be at Mistwalker for releasing these settings for free. There are many reviews for Blue Dragon out there already, but none to my knowledge have addressed the hard mode. If you were on the fence about Blue Dragon and the default lack of difficulty was the deal-breaker, like it was for me, you should reconsider taking that plunge.

STORY

The game opens with the villiage of Talta being tormented by a mysterious beast heralded by mysterious purple clouds. Shu, Jiro, and Kluke valiantly attempt to stop the beast and end up being litterally dragged into an adventure of epic proportions. They discover that a mysterious being called Nene is behind the torment and vow to stop him. Along the way they are joined by a royal mercenary named Zora and a Devee tribesman called Marumaru. Of course they discover that Nene is pure evil and must be stopped at all costs.

Hironobu Sakaguchi's story is pretty standard fair for a Japanese RPG. It is epic in scope but RPG fans will have seen its conventions in other games over the years. I will not contest that argument, but I think that its execution works exceptionally well for this game. The story is structured in such a way that it almost feels as though you are playing through a series of connected episodes in a Japanese Anime or Saturday-morning cartoon. Most stories build toward a climax at the end of this game, while Blue Dragon has a climax at the end of each of its three disks. It's almost like you are playing through three seasons of a TV show with each disk having a season finale at the end. The game's other design elements, such as the art style, the world design, the sound and music, fit perfectly with a serialized cartoon story structure. At the end of each disk I felt like I accomplished something, and looked forward to the next episode. I must also give a mention to the ending, which is usually not a good payoff for all the hours you put in. This one is. It wraps things up completely and playfully in a way completely fitting with the game’s cartoon stylizations.

Story Rating: 92%Summary for story rating: The character development and story innovation are in line with a Saturday-morning cartoon series, which fits perfectly with this game. I love how the game seems to fit neatly into episodes and each disk has its own great finale. I loved the ending.

GAMEPLAY

Blue Dragon’s combat system, and aspects of the story’s plot, is centered on the shadows system. Each of the game’s playable characters has a different shadow which resembles a creature. The game’s title is derived from Shu’s shadow, which is a blue dragon. All of the characters’ offensive attacks and spellcasting are done by the character’s shadow during combat. The combat system is an old-school turn-based system, but it isn’t as boring as it sounds. I like that there is an indicator to display the turn order for everybody in the combat which is useful for planning future attack move strategy. Some of the characters’ attacks and spells utilize a charge meter which must be used strategically. Charging it up more makes it more effective but makes it take longer to execute. The charge meter even displays where the enemy’s turns are expected to fall so that you can strategically plan how long you wish to charge. Charge for too long and enemies can attack before you do. The combat is further spiced up by the plethora of skills that become available to the characters as they level up their shadows.

A character shadow can be one of eight classes. There are several fighter classes, three spellcaster classes, an assassin class which specializes in trickiness, and a generalist class which basically just gives you access to more skill and accessory slots. At the start of the game each character only has access to one class but as you gain levels you unlock the ability to switch to a different class. You can freely switch a shadow between available classes and each class has a level independent of the character’s level. Leveling up your shadows in different classes allows the player to access skills which are unique to each class. This system allows you to basically custom create your characters’ abilities to suit your play style.

Unlike Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon does away with random encounters. When in the overworld or in a dungeon, monsters are visible to the player. Sometimes these monsters appear out of the ground suddenly close to the player, but you usually have time to still avoid them if you are quick enough. The player has a dash move which allows you to charge into an enemy and gain an advantage in battle. The monsters all have a field of vision as well and as such they can be stealthily approached and attacked from behind for advantage as well. Be careful, however, as many monsters have their own charge attacks and can suddenly dash toward you. You can be put into a disadvantage in combat this way if caught and, like your enemies, you can be caught from behind as well.

There are other options for dealing with these encounters as well. There are field skills which can be unlocked as you level up your shadow classes which affect these encounters in various ways. Some field skills make you invisible to enemies, some attract them if you want to fight, some drive them away, and some even destroy them outright to save you time.

A semi-innovative feature of this game is the encounter circle. Pulling the left trigger in the field will pause the onscreen action and put a circle on the screen. If you wish you can try to position this encounter circle to enclose several random enemies and can opt to attack them all at once. The combats still mostly happen one at a time but there is an incentive for doing so. Between each group of monsters you will get a boost to your party via a lottery machine-style counter.

Sometimes two creature types don't like one another. If you call up an encounter circle around two enemies who hate one another their names will be yellow instead of white. Attacking both at the same time will cause a monster fight. Both sets of monsters will appear in the same battle and will fight each other and your party. Luring enemies into monster fights is a great way to get rid of really tough enemies that block your way sometimes as seemingly tough enemies are ripped to shreds or weakened by seemingly weak monsters.

All of these elements bring a great deal of strategy to the way random encounters are played out in dungeons and in the overworld. The player has to really keep on his toes in order to manage these roaming enemy groups, which adds a lot of variety to the gameplay. None of these systems are innovative individually but their combination and excellent execution make for a solid foundation for the game.

This is a massive game and the developers did a lot to add variety along the way. Some story elements lead to a mini-game where you take control of the onscreen action. Sometimes you are flying in your airship and trying to shoot down another airship. Sometimes you have quick-time events to do special story sequences such as hurriedly closing a door before a wave of enemies can come in, attacking a massive mecha base bristling with weapons, and so forth. These sequences are always prefaced by a tutorial and are never difficult to pass but some take repeated tries in order to perfect to earn achievements. These sequences are almost universally linked to an achievement.

The world of Blue Dragon is enormous and backtracking is required sometimes, especially for side-quests. Thankfully each location has a warp station which, once activated, can allow the player to instantly transport to any previously activated warp station regardless of where the player is at the time. This allows you to travel to locations in an instant and also allows you to instantly escape from completed exploration areas back to a town and vice-versa when necessary. I love how executed this all is. This game already lasts long enough but the warp system, along with later access to an airship for overworld travel, makes back-tracking a breeze when you want to.

Gameplay Rating: 89%
Summary for gameplay rating: Not innovative but the combination of systems and their execution are great.

MUSIC AND SOUND

Nobuo Uematsu isn't famous for nothing. He is one of he true masters in videogame music composition. While movie composers must make a soundtrack to fit a two hour playtime, Nobuo is tasked with filling dozens of hours. He has done this again and again with critical acclaim with the Final Fantasy series and has done it again with Blue Dragon. The musical score is perfectly suited to the game's overall light-hearted, saturday-morning cartoon nature.

A special mention needs to go out to the boss music, which is possibly the best boss music composition I have heard in an RPG. A boss encounter launches into a 80's-style rock and roll song complete with souring guitars and vocals. Some love this music and some dispise it, but I can't help but feel uplifted when it starts and after the encounter is over I frequently have the song stuck in my head for hours afterwards.

Music and Sound: 90%
Summary for Music and Sound: Nobuo Uematsu does it again. For a game this long the music is key and it hits all the rights notes. The boss theme gets stuck in my head for hours afterward.

GRAPHICS AND PRESENTATION

I've always been a fan of Akira Toriyama's work in Dragonball and the Dragon Quest games and I fell in love with his work here in Blue Dragon. The character designs are elegant and minimalist in a good way. You should like the characters for their personalities and interactions and not how intricate their costumes look. The characters, creatures, and world's artistic aesthetic are colorful and contribute to an overall "fun" vibe which runs through the game. The shadows and their attacks are all spectacular and loading times are mercifully short, especially for battles. The only fault I have with the graphics is the presence of slowdown from time to time. It does not hamper the game but it is noticeable. Sometimes, however, it adds dramatic effect to really powerful attacks from your characters so it can be a good thing sometimes in my opinion.

Graphics Rating: 85%
Summary for graphics rating: I’m a fan of Toriyama’s work and I fell in love with it in Blue Dragon. The graphics nowhere near push the system but they are colorful and create an overall “fun” vibe similar to a Saturday-morning cartoon. Loading times are very short.

CHANGES FOR HARD MODE

The title 'Hard Mode' is misleading in my opinion. It is far more difficult than the sleep-inducing, zero-challenge normal mode which is the default in the game but it is not hard for the most part. In my opinion, this mode should have been included on the release copy as the normal mode with an immediately available "easy mode", which is the current retail copy's normal mode.

The hard mode does more than just double the enemies hit points. It tweaks their other statistics as well so that they generally do more damage and are more powerful. Except for a few bosses the game is not difficult on hard mode. It is just hard enough so that you have to utilize the game's systems more fully, which is a good thing.

Many of the bosses are still not too difficult but some of them are, especially during the disk-ending finales. These bosses require you to actually plan, learn the boss' attacks and try to counter them with your own skills. None of the bosses, except for the optional super-bosses, require more than a few retries to figure out and beat and there is always a checkpoint just before you enter a boss encounter for a speedy retry. The finale encounters and some of the harder bosses, while somewhat challenging, always filled me with a great sense of accomplishment when I defeated them which makes it worthwhile.

CONCLUSION

Many reviews knock Blue Dragon for its traditional foundation and its lack of innovation and those points are valid, but that does not detract from Blue Dragon’s charm and solid execution. I can only wonder how the game’s reception among the media and among gamers would have been changed if this hard mode was the default mode on the disk. I’m certain that sales of the game were negatively affected by the game’s default lack of challenge, as I am proof of this. I did not purchase the game originally for this reason alone. With this downloadable content and with the game now an exceptional bargain in price even new, you should definitely take a new look at Blue Dragon if you want a good RPG with old-school roots but lots to offer.

Overall Rating: 89%
Summary of overall: The hard mode setting made available through free downloadable content is the way the game should be played. If only this were the default mode on the disk. Blue Dragon is an extremely traditional turn-based RPG does not seek to innovate and is charming, colorful, and rock solid.

chriskun

Can anyone tell me how the treasure chests and areas blocked off by the blue force fields can be unlocked. Is there a trick to it, or are they something that dissappears after a point in the game???

Blimblim

The Inside Track
chriskun said:
Can anyone tell me how the treasure chests and areas blocked off by the blue force fields can be unlocked. Is there a trick to it, or are they something that dissappears after a point in the game???
Keep playing :)

chriskun said:

Yes, you get a device that clears those barriers. There are several more colors also, and getting them all is an achievement.

chriskun

thanks blim. Also can anyone tell me if all the spells will be unlocked just by leveling up my shadow, or should I buy them at the spell stores??

ravien56

chriskun said:
thanks blim. Also can anyone tell me if all the spells will be unlocked just by leveling up my shadow, or should I buy them at the spell stores??
both...you gotta buy the spells, then your shadow has to be able to use them

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Started this up a few weeks ago, and am currently about 14 hours in. Really liking it so far. Not an all time classic or anything, but definitely fun. I'm starting to really enjoy the charge aspect of the battle system, which allows you to juggle the turn order in some pretty interesting ways, and I feel like this far into the game the character customization is really coming into its own.

Aaron

chriskun said:
Some spells you'll just find in chests, so make sure to sweep the dungeons pretty well.

PS - Make sure to level up Black Magic for all characters. Easily the most important class in the game, especially early on for the MP recovery ability. Also make sure to get decent ranks in white magic, support, and barrier. Latter two are really for bosses. The other classes aren't terribly useful, except generalist lets you equip more abilities.

PBalfredo

Just beat Blue Dragon. Awesome. This game is great even though I made the horrible, aweful, no good, very bad mistake of playing it on Normal. I didn't even realize a harder difficulty was available to download until I was halfway through the second disk. So now I want to replay the game and have my skills thoroughly put to the test.

What I need to know:
Is Impossible mode a challenge if played with New Game +,
Or should I start a regular new game on Hard mode?

Blackjack

PBalfredo said:
Just beat Blue Dragon. Awesome. This game is great even though I made the horrible, aweful, no good, very bad mistake of playing it on Normal. I didn't even realize a harder difficulty was available to download until I was halfway through the second disk. So now I want to replay the game and have my skills thoroughly put to the test.

What I need to know:
Is Impossible mode a challenge if played with New Game +,
Or should I start a regular new game on Hard mode?
Impossible mode is meant to be started at around level 50 or so, so if you're not around there just play on hard. I'd assume it'd be roughly the same really, with the major difficulty areas being the ends of disc one and two and some of the optional bosses.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I've been enjoying the game for the most part, but I'm just about to the end of disc 1 and it's getting harder and harder to fire it up for some reason, particularly after a tough boss encounter. I'm playing on hard mode, but when I come up on a tough one it seems that the problem is usually about me having low levels instead of me having a bad strategy. In the most recent example, no combination of classes or skills is going to let me take a turn before Silent Ku drops a ton of HP off one of my fighters, kills Kluke or Jiro outright, or some combination of the two. The combat system just isn't good enough imo to keep me interested if I have to start grinding, so usually when I come up on a challenge like this I usually don't even try again for a few days at least. Admittedly I think this is only the 3rd time or so on the whole first disc I've really had trouble, but I know that with
the other 3 robots coming up plus a fight with Nene, his assistant, or both, it's probably going to be a lot of the same for the next couple of hours).

Also feels like I'm going through pretty slow; a lot of impressions put the first disc at about 15 hours, while I'm at 18 something and I'm sure I have a couple left before disc one ends.

Good game overall, but I'm not sure that it's really gripping enough to keep me away from the rest of my backlog right now. It's a bit tedious.

Arp3ggi0

Neo Member
Monroeski said:
I'm playing on hard mode, but when I come up on a tough one it seems that the problem is usually about me having low levels instead of me having a bad strategy.

I ran into the same problem at the end of the game. What I ended up doing is leveling up lots of different jobs for everyone, especially Guardian. Find an area with lots of respawning mobs, use some garlic, throw up your Field Barrier, and run around. Yes, it is tedious, but it makes a huge difference to your group.

PROTIP:

Have one character with high enough black magic for HP regeneration and high enough for highest field barrier.

Have both activated on the character.

Go to area with very high respawn rate (laser fields is an early one, there are several later).

Put an I-POD (regular version, not nano or shuffle) and wedge it between the two analogs and you will run in a mostly perfect circle. Walk away from the system and knit a quilt or something and only come back when you hear that tell-tale music tone that you have gotten a new skill and push "A" to acknowledge then go back knitting or whatever.

============

Bonus Protip for Late-game:

Go to the island in the south with the small hill in the middle which spawns Golden Poos. Put your fastest character with a Poo Bracelet (which instantly kills Poos) and the skill which always lets that character attack first in battle.

You can get millions in gold quickly and they give you at least 1,000xp and 10SP. That doesn't sound like much, but it only takes ONE HIT to kill him, so it's a 5-second battle including loading times. You can simultaneously rack up levels for character, for shadows, and money for the gold achievement easily.

Meier

I keep going back to this game to get some achievements... I swear, they're just so absolutely ridiculous that I get pissed off. Ugh...

haircut

Monroeski said:
I've been enjoying the game for the most part, but I'm just about to the end of disc 1 and it's getting harder and harder to fire it up for some reason, particularly after a tough boss encounter. I'm playing on hard mode, but when I come up on a tough one it seems that the problem is usually about me having low levels instead of me having a bad strategy. In the most recent example, no combination of classes or skills is going to let me take a turn before Silent Ku drops a ton of HP off one of my fighters, kills Kluke or Jiro outright, or some combination of the two. The combat system just isn't good enough imo to keep me interested if I have to start grinding, so usually when I come up on a challenge like this I usually don't even try again for a few days at least. Admittedly I think this is only the 3rd time or so on the whole first disc I've really had trouble, but I know that with
the other 3 robots coming up plus a fight with Nene, his assistant, or both, it's probably going to be a lot of the same for the next couple of hours).

Also feels like I'm going through pretty slow; a lot of impressions put the first disc at about 15 hours, while I'm at 18 something and I'm sure I have a couple left before disc one ends.

Good game overall, but I'm not sure that it's really gripping enough to keep me away from the rest of my backlog right now. It's a bit tedious.
Did you ever get through the boss gauntlet?

Not sure if it's common knowledge, but those four robots all have a vulnerability to a single status effect tied to a mid-level magic sword attack. God that sounds nerdy. For Silent ku I believe you can lower his attack power with flara sword.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just picked up this game myself yesterday. I've been having a blast ever since, I knew I was missing something this generation. Good JRPG lovin'. I swear these kids today couldn't make a good JRPG to save their lives.

Leave it to Gooch to set 'em straight.
Now if only those poor saps would have bought the game...

MoogPaul

I loved the game. Just hated the generic plot and marumaro, the jar jar binks of gaming. Everything else was gravy, esp. hard mode.

Zzoram

So can you install 1 disc at a time while playing? I have a 20gb and can't install more than 2 discs at a time, but I am hoping that installing this game will make it a better experience.

It's only $15 now so I plan to pick it up.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Zzoram said:
So can you install 1 disc at a time while playing? I have a 20gb and can't install more than 2 discs at a time, but I am hoping that installing this game will make it a better experience.

It's only $15 now so I plan to pick it up.

You only need to install the disc you are using. You dont have to install them all.

I just bought the game a few days ago (Japanese version). It seems like a basic JRPG. The hero is a walking shonen manga/anime cliche which is kind of pissing me off, but it was obviously intentional to do that. Battle system is ok. I don't have broadband so can't download the hard patch. I installed the game on the HD and load times are very good. Maybe 1-2 sec per battle. Hopefully the story will get somewhat interesting. Half the fun in playing the J version is translating the Japanese so even if the game completely sucks at least that will hold my attention.

Zzoram

I bought this. I only played up until the first save point, but it seems to be pretty decent so far. I installed, and it did speed up loading.

How are you supposed to know what you can check? I just mashed A everywhere and was finding 10 gold and whatever on random pieces of wood with no indicators of anything.

I haven't noticed any framerate problems so maybe installing it fixes them? Also, the game on normal mode is kind of hard. I've gotten my ass kicked by the first 2 bosses. Took me a couple of tries to beat them.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Zzoram said:
I bought this. I only played up until the first save point, but it seems to be pretty decent so far. I installed, and it did speed up loading.

How are you supposed to know what you can check? I just mashed A everywhere and was finding 10 gold and whatever on random pieces of wood with no indicators of anything.
You'll very quickly learn what type of stuff you can check. Basically rocks and dead trees, stuff where something could be easily hidden under basically.
The story never really gets "better", but I found it very fun in a 80s way. I didn't play the game for the story, but for the amazingly creative environments for the most part.

Zzoram

Blimblim said:
You'll very quickly learn what type of stuff you can check. Basically rocks and dead trees, stuff where something could be easily hidden under basically.
The story never really gets "better", but I found it very fun in a 80s way. I didn't play the game for the story, but for the amazingly creative environments for the most part.

Ya, I'm not expecting a good story. I just want to see the pretty graphics and enjoy some typical JRPG fun.

Is there any point in grinding? Or is the game going to be too easy if you do that, since I didn't download the hard patch?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Zzoram said:
Ya, I'm not expecting a good story. I just want to see the pretty graphics and enjoy some typical JRPG fun.

Is there any point in grinding? Or is the game going to be too easy if you do that, since I didn't download the hard patch?
You should be fine if you just go and fight every monster in your way. I don't remember having to actually go and look for enemies to get some XP except before the very first boss.

Zzoram

Blimblim said:
You should be fine if you just go and fight every monster in your way. I don't remember having to actually go and look for enemies to get some XP except before the very first boss.

Have you played all the JRPGs on 360? How would you rank them? I've only beaten Lost Odyssey and started Blue Dragon. I know I need to get Tales of Vesperia soon, the art is really appealing to me.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Zzoram said:
Have you played all the JRPGs on 360? How would you rank them? I've only beaten Lost Odyssey and started Blue Dragon. I know I need to get Tales of Vesperia soon, the art is really appealing to me.
Well I only like turn based RPGs, or at least I still have to play a aRPG I enjoy, so as you can guess my favorite jRPGs on the 360 are Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and I'm really enjoying The Last Remnant so far. I even liked Enchant Arms, until I got stuck (Japanese version) at a boss fight.
IU has some big game design issues and I came to really dislike the game after a few hours. Eternal Sonata's demo made me dislike the game's battle system instantly. I still have to try ToV, that's planned for next month :)

Zzoram

Blimblim said:
Well I only like turn based RPGs, or at least I still have to play a aRPG I enjoy, so as you can guess my favorite jRPGs on the 360 are Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and I'm really enjoying The Last Remnant so far. I even liked Enchant Arms, until I got stuck (Japanese version) at a boss fight.
IU has some big game design issues and I came to really dislike the game after a few hours. Eternal Sonata's demo made me dislike the game's battle system instantly. I still have to try ToV, that's planned for next month :)

Thanks for the impressions. Enchanted Arms seems to be more of a SRPG, and I'm not a huge fan of those. Do you think it's on par with the other JRPGs, or is it skippable?

EazyB

Banned
God, I picked the game up months ago and still haven't thrown it into the 360. Perhaps this weekend I'll try to get through LO and move onto Blue Dragon.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Zzoram said:
Thanks for the impressions. Enchanted Arms seems to be more of a SRPG, and I'm not a huge fan of those. Do you think it's on par with the other JRPGs, or is it skippable?
It's not really a SRPG either, the grid is very simple. I dislike SRPG usually, but EA's battle system was really good.
You can definitely skip that one though, but you should be able to find it very cheap. Just ignore Makoto's character in the beginning, he won't be there for long anyway.

Zzoram

So I played to the next checkpoint in the 30 minuets I had to play. Combat so far is literally just Attack, I assume things will get deeper once I get my Shadows. Still pretty cool so far. Loading off the HDD, it seems to be fast, and no framerate issues yet.

I hope I didn't miss any Chests in that first Cave, but I assume there's a way to get back there since I saw a Chest behind some blue barrier that looks like a backtracking thing.

Also, I hope I didn't miss anything in the flying fortress yet. I just got my funny glowing orbs and beat some robots and saved.

WarLox

How can I see the enemy's HP ? I must be missing something, because I can't find anything that will show me the HP status.

Zzoram said:

I know you may be asking someone else....But based on my X360 JRPG experience (I've played them all, except for the Atlus offerings. I own all of them aside from EA, PSU and KUF):

Tales of Vesperia
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey (could switch with BD)
The Last Remnant
Eternal Sonata
Infinite Undiscovery
Enchanted Arms
Phantasy Star Universe
Kingdom Under Fire (in SP)

In that order.

Ryu1999

The Robot Henchmen group battle on hard mode is the biggest piece of surprise horseshit since the solo Weigraf fight in FFT. Oh, what's that? You're underleveled? We didn't tell you that even if you're strong enough to beat the Land Shark, you're still 5 levels too low to beat the Gang. There's not enough enemies in between for you to grind and we won't let you leave either, too bad lol

Hmm..

Got 595 out of 1,000.

Wasn't that hard. Make SURE you know which monsters are unique/rare going in so that you do not miss them or else you will never fill up your monster log. Aside from about 10 monsters, it isn't that hard to fill it up by the end of the game.

The rest of the achievements are pretty straight forward.

oh yeah, good luck with the find all the nothings achievement without using the nothing glasses (DLC).

The Robot Henchmen group battle on hard mode is the biggest piece of surprise horseshit since the solo Weigraf fight in FFT. Oh, what's that? You're underleveled? We didn't tell you that even if you're strong enough to beat the Land Shark, you're still 5 levels too low to beat the Gang. There's not enough enemies in between for you to grind and we won't let you leave either, too bad lol

Ryu, they are tough as HELL but not impossible. They have weaknesses and you really have to PLAN for those battles. If you need help figuring out what works best attack/spell/action-wise, go to an FAQ.

There is usually one tough battle like this at the end of each disk. It made me angry at first, but when you beat them you really feel so good and proud of your accomplishment that I can't under-state it. It's given me a special attachment to this game because few RPGs today really make you work for a win and thus you dont feel that accomplishment often.

Ryu1999

Ryu, they are tough as HELL but not impossible. They have weaknesses and you really have to PLAN for those battles. If you need help figuring out what works best attack/spell/action-wise, go to an FAQ.

There is usually one tough battle like this at the end of each disk. It made me angry at first, but when you beat them you really feel so good and proud of your accomplishment that I can't under-state it. It's given me a special attachment to this game because few RPGs today really make you work for a win and thus you dont feel that accomplishment often.

There is no plan for this battle because I'm down to one man before I even get a chance to press a button because all the robots get go first, and the knife robot seems to get like 5 turns consecutively.

Same sequence every time: Knife robot does the element down special, turbulence robot powers up bomb robot, bomb robot does multi-flame attack, knife robot throws individual knives 3-4 times. Bam, I'm dead. No chance to counter.

The FAQs out are useless since they're designed for Normal difficulty.

Top Bottom