• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Ryu1999 said:
There is no plan for this battle because I'm down to one man before I even get a chance to press a button because all the robots get go first, and the knife robot seems to get like 5 turns consecutively.

Same sequence every time: Knife robot does the element down special, turbulence robot powers up bomb robot, bomb robot does multi-flame attack, knife robot throws individual knives 3-4 times. Bam, I'm dead. No chance to counter.

The FAQs out are useless since they're designed for Normal difficulty.

I find that on hard mode, having someone (in my case Jiro) with the White Mage skills Double Item and Item Enhancement were absolutely crucial.

polyh3dron said:
Amazon Prime FTW

Some of you really need to realize how Amazon listings work. The $11 Blue Dragon is shipped and handled by another seller, the Amazon price for the game is $20. The marketplace seller is the main listing when it is a featured merchant selling a new item for a price when shipping included is cheaper than Amazon itself. This means no Super Saver Shipping and no two-day shipping with Prime.

If you want Blue Dragon on the cheap, go here instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874105468

Thrakier

Played this for five hours now and I think I'll stop today. I would have played through it some years ago but in these times I have less time and I'm spoiled by better leveldesign from other genres. Blue Dragon is ok but there is so much "been there, done that" it's not even funny. And I HATE maze like dungeon design. The hospital was fine for example. I don't know...also the story is pretty bad to this point and some of the characters are annoying although I have to say that athere were some funny moments.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Thrakier said:
Played this for five hours now and I think I'll stop today. I would have played through it some years ago but in these times I have less time and I'm spoiled by better leveldesign from other genres. Blue Dragon is ok but there is so much "been there, done that" it's not even funny. And I HATE maze like dungeon design. The hospital was fine for example. I don't know...also the story is pretty bad to this point and some of the characters are annoying although I have to say that athere were some funny moments.

I was this way as well after 5 hours but for some reason played through to the end.

The 3rd disc is worth it. If the game had the freedom of the 3rd disc, it would be perfect.

Thrakier

Nah but I just can't stand it anymore. I'm running through it, trying to avoid as many battles as possible and I'm bored do death by the generic, plain and boring dungeon design. I think that's a waste of time, isn't it? I'm supposed to have fun!

Thrakier said:
Nah but I just can't stand it anymore. I'm running through it, trying to avoid as many battles as possible and I'm bored do death by the generic, plain and boring dungeon design. I think that's a waste of time, isn't it? I'm supposed to have fun!

That's one thing that bugs me about JRPGs. Five hours is a fair amount of time to give any game. That's a third or more of the game in most other genres. JRPGs, due to the focus on character building and story development (OK, Blue Dragon's story never really develops into anything, but the character building is fine) tend to take at least 10 hours to really hit their stride, often more. I gave Blue Dragon 20 hours before I sent it back to GameFly and ended up buying the game later when I had less to play and finished it. 20 hours is long enough to finish most other games twice, probably with more fun had.

Thrakier

J-RPGs can be great, they just have to try harder and bring the genre forward. The action-adventure genre made huge steps forward imo (e.g. "30 seconds of fun"). So if you are used to it it's kinda hard to get used again to a typical J-RPG dungeon were almost nothing happens till you reach the endboss. I don't know...I think FF XII made a lot of stuff right, it's just not perfect, but on the right way. Even the ATLUS Shin Megami Games made a lot of stuff better (presentation, fast and great battles, good dungeon design, modern in a way, not too generic) although they are pretty hardcore. But the Mistwalkers games just feel like a thing of the past and I don't like that anymore. I played through Lost Odyseey and thought it was ok but even there were points werde I didn't want to go on anymore...let's just say those random encounters in a maze dungeon are HORRIBLE game design imo. That's just not good enough anymore.

I really hope that the new FF and ATLUS (if they are finally doing a shin megami next gen) bring the genre forward again and that they get rid of all this annoying stuff. Till this point I think the genre is dead for me and this comes from a HUGE PS1 and PS2 J-RPG lover.

Hey,

Sorry to bump the thread but I seem to be stuck. I'm at Pachess and just beat the underground. I can now leave the town but I can't get to the other side (to the west of the town). I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something simple but how can I get to the west of the town? Thanks.

Bought the game off Newegg for 10 dollars.
Just got it in the mail today.

I assume Impossible mode is like used when you start a new game the Land Shark damaged me around 220 :lol. So I went ahead and picked Hard.

Hopefully I'll enjoy this more than LO [Stopped on the 4th disc I think]

MoogPaul

DMPrince said:
Bought the game off Newegg for 10 dollars.
Just got it in the mail today.

I assume Impossible mode is like used when you start a new game the Land Shark damaged me around 220 :lol. So I went ahead and picked Hard.

Hopefully I'll enjoy this more than LO [Stopped on the 4th disc I think]

hard mode is actually pretty hard until about half way through the second disc. The optional bosses stay pretty hard all the way till the end. It's quite rewarding. Have fun with the end of disc 1 :)

0 HP

Since this seems to be the most recent blue dragon thread, I'll ask this here: do the battles ever get faster? Like on the demo you could one-hit kill enemies that you had fought before just by using a field command. Do abilities like 2x hit or something of that nature pop up later to move things along faster? I'm dreading random battles right now.

Wazzim

Banned
0 HP said:
Since this seems to be the most recent blue dragon thread, I'll ask this here: do the battles ever get faster? Like on the demo you could one-hit kill enemies that you had fought before just by using a field command. Do abilities like 2x hit or something of that nature pop up later to move things along faster? I'm dreading random battles right now.
There are no random battles, you can just evade the monsters if you don't want to fight.

0 HP said:
The battles seemed pretty fast to me... Well, level up that barrier magic.

I found the game mechanics to be good and the graphics very good but the story blew chunks. Nene was a unbelieveably laughable antagonist even with the twist in the end. The main character Shu was boring and is like most child like RPG/Shonen Jump stars. Just do your best and you'll be the pirate king, ninja king, best friggin whatever there ever was. That's all good and well but there really wasn't anything worth proving himself over. It wasn't like he was living a sheltered life anyway.

His sidekicks weren't any much better. The game had a heart but no soul. It felt so empty and not rewarding because the story fell so darn flat and the characters didn't do much to keep me interested. I found myself grinding just for the sake of grinding. I did finish the game after putting it off for nearly 3 years. I thank God for custom soundtracks. The battle music in Blue Dragon needs to be wiped from humankind's memory.

I had a much better experience with LO. I thought LO was a beautiful masterpiece even if the story wasn't unique. I liked the characters and could handle the two kids well enough. Blue Dragon just didn't fully click with me. Maybe it was just too childish for its own good.

Aeana

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So which is the better game, this or lost odyssey? Is lost odyssey much longer of a game since it has one more disk?
Almost everybody is going to tell you Lost Odyssey I'm sure, but I personally find Blue Dragon to not only be loads better than LO, but also one of my favorite RPGs of the generation. It is one of the only RPGs I've ever played to do visible encounters really well, to the point that I have no complaints.

Here's what you should probably consider when looking at each game.
LO is Sakaguchi's take on a PSX Final Fantasy game.
BD is like Sakaguchi trying to make FF5 again.

One of these will be more appealing than the other depending on your tastes.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So which is the better game, this or lost odyssey? Is lost odyssey much longer of a game since it has one more disk?
The number of disks a game has very little to do with how long a game is.

To your question, I suppose most would say Lost Odyssey but my personal experience would be to suggest that if you are looking for more of a Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy V experience, you'd go with Blue Dragon and if you are going for more of a Final Fantasy VII/XIII/X experience, go with Lost Odyssey.

PixyJunket said:
An excellent choice!

I HIGHLY suggest downloading the free Hard Mode DLC, the game on Normal Mode is stupid easy. That was my only real complaint with the game when I bought and played it at release (which of course they fixed after I put so many hours into it).

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Ultra-Hard-Mod/00000000-0000-400c-80cf-00014d5307df

I think I already downloaded it but I forget. Does your save file say whether you're playing hard or normal?

0 HP

I think amazon can go lower than $8.87 for this game, but I also want to get it before they run out. Decisions, decisions

FreeMufasa

Love this game. Bought it at launch and I guess it was my first Dragon Quest experience (untill 8 this year). I was actually replaying this when my 360 RRoD last year. Enjoyed the game a lot more as I wasn't rushing this time.

Going through my history maybe I never did download it... Is there anyway to download it to my pc and then transfer it on a thumbdrive? I can't get my 360 online.

I was watching a youtube video for this game and it showed the person creating a red barrier around himself that was just killing off everything near him. How do you do this? I can't seem to do this at all and I'm on the third disk and he was at an area on the second disk in the video.

Oh man, the gameplay in this game was so damn fun. One of the few games that I put over 100 hours in this generation.

Too bad about that story though. The final events of the game were hilariously bad.

The Mana Legend said:
Oh man, the gameplay in this game was so damn fun. One of the few games that I put over 100 hours in this generation.

Too bad about that story though. The final events of the game were hilariously bad.

:( I'm almost at the end. Don't say that!

I bought this game when I bought a 360 two years ago. I remember it being beautiful, though due to having other games to play I sort of discarded it.

I should get back to playing it eventually. I really liked the character design.

TheContact

I got like 30 hours in this and got distracted, tried to go back and couldn't get through it. The whiny voiced annoying kid type character in your party that Japanese people seem to love so much are just so damn annoying I can't even deal with it. Still trying to play Xenoblade whenever I have time.

Aru

The Mana Legend said:

Yeah, the anime's story isn't actually great, but it's better than the game's.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I was watching a youtube video for this game and it showed the person creating a red barrier around himself that was just killing off everything near him. How do you do this? I can't seem to do this at all and I'm on the third disk and he was at an area on the second disk in the video.

there is a skill, i think its called field barrier, in the barrier set. you initially get it at a pretty low level, but until its higher levels it takes too much MP to be that useful. at level 3 its pretty awesome.

to activate i think you hit one of the shoulder buttons and then select it. it will kill any enemy at a lower level than you and you will get some amount of SP, but not exp.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The only thing I hated about the game was the yellow dude. That voice makes me want to kill. I suffered through it for as long as i could though.

KageMaru

I made it near the end, the whole game was a cake walk, but now I'm stuck at a boss and it looks like I actually have to grind. o_0

Deadly Cyclone said:
The only thing I hated about the game was the yellow dude. That voice makes me want to kill. I suffered through it for as long as i could though.

Yup, I purposely make sure he doesn't get the last kill so I don't have to see his stupid winning dance.

Deadly Cyclone said:

i think he is one of the worst characters in any game i have ever played.

arglebargle said:
there is a skill, i think its called field barrier, in the barrier set. you initially get it at a pretty low level, but until its higher levels it takes too much MP to be that useful. at level 3 its pretty awesome.

to activate i think you hit one of the shoulder buttons and then select it. it will kill any enemy at a lower level than you and you will get some amount of SP, but not exp.

Does only a certain class learn it? I don't remember seeing it on anyone's skill page but I've left as the default ones they start out as so maybe that's why?

Top Bottom