• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

I just bought this today and am a couple hours in - it seems pretty cool so far, however, it feels pretty unresponsive (in framerate) when I'm doing "charge" type attacks -- it's hard to be precise. Is this just how the game is? Or is there a way to settle it down so the bar scrolls more smoothly?

Hey!

I'm stupid and want to try and catch all the achievements in this game. Some of you guys have done that, right? And you must have used a guide. So! What's the best guide out there for this shit? Mainly the item/monster stuff. I'd like something that holds my hand a lot because I'm lazy, and the guide on GameFAQs doesn't seem to do that.

tanod

when is my burrito
SnakeswithLasers said:
I just bought this today and am a couple hours in - it seems pretty cool so far, however, it feels pretty unresponsive (in framerate) when I'm doing "charge" type attacks -- it's hard to be precise. Is this just how the game is? Or is there a way to settle it down so the bar scrolls more smoothly?

That's just how it is. Cal it a bad design choice.

Haklong

SnakeswithLasers said:

I believe the charge time (speed they move at) depends on what move you are charging. Some charge fast while others charge slow. The bar moves much faster for some spells while it seems to go slower for the regular attacks.

Haklong said:
I believe the charge time (speed they move at) depends on what move you are charging. Some charge fast while others charge slow. The bar moves much faster for some spells while it seems to go slower for the regular attacks.
True, but sometimes the framerate drops which means that the whole game goes slower than it should. When you have 3-4 dragons up preparing an attack the game will slow down considerably. It doesn't ruin the game but it is annoying.

clashfan

Roxas said:

Wow! I'm not even close to that. I think I know where the ending of the game is. How high should my ranking be before I tackle the ending?

Just finished the game. I really enjoyed it. I was hoping for some innovation but it was still a solid game. The ending was charming.

GOD WHAT AN AWESOME GAME

I just beat it. 1000/1000. Thank you, guy who wrote that gamefaqs achievement guide! It was actually really great and helpful and I couldn't have cheated to win without you.

It took forever, though. And it didn't help that I played on hard which probably doubled the length of my game. But whatever! I love it, and I'd recommend it to anyone who ever enjoyed a 16-bit JRPG. Just wish you could fast forward through the battle animations. That should be in every RPG!

AWESOME.

Oh yeah I could have gone without all that searching for nothings shit. I bet I spent 1/4 of my gametime mashing A while bumping into walls. And the achievements were retarded. And most of the dialogue was really dry. BUT WHATEVER. IT WAS PRETTY GREAT OVERALL.

Right now I'm considering restarting this game on Normal. THis game was just too fucking hard on Insane to the point of getting completely stuck.

clashfan said:
I completed the games on normal but ended up with only 35 points. This game is so stingy with points!

Did you feel like it was too easy? I'm considering starting the game over, but I don't want to if it doesn't feel at least somewhat rewarding to beat.

Mashing

I beat this the other day, but I couldn't be bothered to go back and replay it to get my missed achievements (especially since they were mostly REALLY ANNOYING parts of the game). Fuck that stupid wagon mini game.

I did unlock all the rank and character achievements. That took days upon days to unlock.

Jimmy Stav said:
Right now I'm considering restarting this game on Normal. THis game was just too fucking hard on Insane to the point of getting completely stuck.
I think that mode's meant for New Game +. Try Hard. It's an OK challenge.

soco

Mashing said:
I beat this the other day, but I couldn't be bothered to go back and replay it to get my missed achievements (especially since they were mostly REALLY ANNOYING parts of the game). Fuck that stupid wagon mini game.

I did unlock all the rank and character achievements. That took days upon days to unlock.

wait, what?

you took days to do the rank and character achievements but couldn't take the 2 hours to do the wagon mini-game? sure it was annoying, but pretty damn easy.

i did it on the first try, but couldn't you have just did newgame+ and used fieldbarrier?

BitchTits

Just got back into this the other day after an extended break, left off the game on Disc 2 before Xmas. I actually think I've been playing the game wrong since I'm finding boss battles actually kinda difficult, or at least long, and from everything I've read the concensus is the game is insanely easy.

Here's how I have my skills:

Shu (Monk), Jiro (Guardian), Kluke (Black Magic), Marumaro (Monk), Zola (Black Magic). I'm Kluke-less at the moment as I'm at
the spider/robot boss battle in the town surrounded by the green barrier
on Disc 2 - and I think I should've built up some of the other skill-types, since I'm literally at just a couple of points for most skills besides the ones I'm using, so when I try to build up a skill, my guys usually end up dying in battle because they are so underpowered once I've switched skills.

Should I warp back to an earlier town to build up other skills by grinding, or is it OK just have one strong skill per character?

BitchTits

OK, well, I'm kind of answering my own question :lol - I learned about Shadow skills and spent a while grinding with Field Barriers to get them up, and the bosses went down with ease, except I've reached the Moons, which I don't like at all. Are there any more battles like this further in the game? I don't like using quick reflexes like this in an RPG! :lol

BitchTits said:
OK, well, I'm kind of answering my own question :lol - I learned about Shadow skills and spent a while grinding with Field Barriers to get them up, and the bosses went down with ease, except I've reached the Moons, which I don't like at all. Are there any more battles like this further in the game? I don't like using quick reflexes like this in an RPG! :lol
There are two more mechat minigames. Neither are difficult unless you want the no miss achievement, and even then they're not that hard. There are two more button mashing bits after the laser, then another one at the beginning of disc 3. And that's about it for irritating twitchy stuff!

BitchTits

Rummy Bunnz said:
There are two more mechat minigames. Neither are difficult unless you want the no miss achievement, and even then they're not that hard. There are two more button mashing bits after the laser, then another one at the beginning of disc 3. And that's about it for irritating twitchy stuff!
Yep, I missed the Moon achievement, but I'm keeping a save just before it so that I can give it another crack.

I'm onto Disc 3 now, and I'm just loving this game. I got back into it after leaving off before Xmas having just got onto Disc 2, but had other stuff to play. I'm glad I got back into it because Disc 2 and 3 so far have been great (except the button mashing mini-games!).

If anyone is deciding to get this or not (there was a thread on it yesterday) - I say go for it if you want a traditional jRPG - story not too deep, standard, derivitive even, but it's perfect for someone just getting into RPGs such as I, and it's a beautiful looking game - not just HD visuals, but the colour palette is a treat. Disc 1 is definately the lowest ebb of the game so far IMO, so stick with it, and it grows so much on you. :)

GhaleonEB

Couple thoughts.

My daughter caught the anime on TV while we were on vacation. I didn't care for it but the novelty of seeing the characters (and music) from the game in a cartoon had her enthralled.

We're in disc 3, in
the big space with the cube worlds.
We can't use magic (that heals the enemies), so combat is very long and tedious. The game has the longest, most plodding battle animations I've ever seen.

We just had an incident where an enemy got a back attack on us while I was trying to hit a switch - the 'A' icon wouldn't appear - and so five enemies attacked in sequence. Then, they all got to attack first. I had time to read an entire article while all of the animations played out, but it didn't matter. Of the ten sequential attacks, they did five spells or special moves that did instant-kills. So we all died. After an hour of playing.

My opinion is that the game is nearly unmitigated shit, and this evening did little to change that view. My daughter still likes, it, though when stuff like that happens she says "the game is cheating!"

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I just picked up the game for $20 at Futureshop (sweet deal) and I was wondering if people prefer the Japanese voices over the english? I know its probably been talked about before in the thread, but I don't have time to sift through it, thanks!

Nif

The anime's very different from the game. I've only watched half of it, but I can't motivate myself to finish. I guess it's not bad, but it's not great either. =\

Downgrade from DBZ, in my opinion.

Llyranor

SCHUEY F1 said:
I just picked up the game for $20 at Futureshop (sweet deal) and I was wondering if people prefer the Japanese voices over the english? I know its probably been talked about before in the thread, but I don't have time to sift through it, thanks!
Didn't try the English voices, but the Japanese cast is pretty awesome.

TomServo

I've had the game for close to two months now. Target had it on clearance for $16 and I figured what the hell. GAF anti-hype has kept me from playing it until now. Started two days ago, and am already through disc 1. Loving it so far. Nice to have a classic jRPG (I'm saying that as someone who thinks the FF died after VI).

LakeEarth

I've made it to the third disk and GTAIV just pushed it out of my system. Oh well. Overall I was liking the game, but it IS way too easy and the plot way too childish.

soco

LakeEarth said:
I've made it to the third disk and GTAIV just pushed it out of my system. Oh well. Overall I was liking the game, but it IS way too easy and the plot way too childish.

guess you didn't take GAFs advice and grab the DLC and start it in hard mode?

Stocka

I've finally gotten my hands on this. Now, please advise me, should I play it with english voice acting or japanese voices with english sub-titles? I'm open minded and may even prefer it with japanese language considering I found the english voices in the demo cringe-worthy. What do you all recommend?

Stocka said:
I've finally gotten my hands on this. Now, please advise me, should I play it with english voice acting or japanese voices with english sub-titles? I'm open minded and may even prefer it with japanese language considering I found the english voices in the demo cringe-worthy. What do you all recommend?
Definitely go for the JP VA + Eng subs combo.
More importantly, make sure to download the Hard Mod from live before you start playing and increase the difficulty level from the outset. The default difficulty will bore you to tears and playing on hard -while still easy- will at least provide you with a challenge in certain portions of the game.

I just picked this game up.

I hate the tiny minimap, and the every rock/tree/bump having loot in it is ridiculous. Of course I still have to check everyone.

I think they should pay the programmer that way to teach them a lesson. Tape 1k yen notes under desks, coffe mugs, plant pots, etc.

Nolan.

Tyrannical said:
I just picked this game up.

I hate the tiny minimap, and the every rock/tree/bump having loot in it is ridiculous. Of course I still have to check everyone.

I think they should pay the programmer that way to teach them a lesson. Tape 1k yen notes under desks, coffe mugs, plant pots, etc.

Yeah, have to say I didn't think I was obsessive compulsive... until I played that game. I kept returning to the guy in jibral so often to see what i'd get next. Thats pretty ridiculous.

TomServo

Nolan. said:
Yeah, have to say I didn't think I was obsessive compulsive... until I played that game. I kept returning to the guy in jibral so often to see what i'd get next. Thats pretty ridiculous.

I was for most of disc 1, but then the game's plot took a massive dump and I stopped giving a shit about anything other than finishing.

Shows how disconnected I am from JRPGs these days. Everything I read said the disc was the slowest, and then the game picked up speed. I thought the plot and dialogue got worse and worse as the game went on.

The campfire scene where Shu and the other loser talk about how they "like" Kluke? Holy shit, not only was that some of the worst dialogue I've ever suffered through in a game, but on top of that I felt like some sort of pervert eavesdropping at an elementary school playground.

Stocka

How long did this take most of you? I'm over 9 hours in and still on disc 1 :O Taking a lot longer than I was expecting, and the battle system is beginning to bore early.

Stocka said:
How long did this take most of you? I'm over 9 hours in and still on disc 1 :O Taking a lot longer than I was expecting, and the battle system is beginning to bore early.

Took me about 50 hours, though I did all the side quests etc. Disc 1 was about 13 hours for me, disc 2 was about 10, and disc 3 can be...a lot, but it's mainly extra content.

hiljay

Stocka said:

the battle system doesn't start getting good until you start to merge all of your class skills together.

the game took me about 70 hours, but that's because 10 hours of it i did some powerleveling to defeat the dragons/get the achievements for maxing out the levels of some of the jobs.

-Rogue5-

hiljay said:
the battle system doesn't start getting good until you start to merge all of your class skills together.

the game took me about 70 hours, but that's because 10 hours of it i did some powerleveling to defeat the dragons/get the achievements for maxing out the levels of some of the jobs.

What's the quickest amount of time someone can realistically playthrough the game on their first run? I got my 360 back and want to play it, but 40+hours a huge investment (especially after Lost Odyessy, which is supposedly objectively better.)

Top Bottom