• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Stocka

I just got so bored of this game towards the end of disc 2 where you go underground in Pachess Town. The battles became so tedious that I just thought fuck it, and i've stopped playing. The only thing I really like about Blue Dragon are the visuals and the music, I couldn't give two shits about the characters, dialogue or story because all 3 are shite.

LakeEarth

-Rogue5- said:
What's the quickest amount of time someone can realistically playthrough the game on their first run? I got my 360 back and want to play it, but 40+hours a huge investment (especially after Lost Odyessy, which is supposedly objectively better.)
You can beat it in less than 40 hours, but if you actually want achievements and do the sidequests, it'll add some time. You aren't going to play for 70 hours unless you want to beat the optional bosses.

I haven't beaten the game yet, I remember hearing the final stage was a big ass pain. Is it really long? My 360 has been giving some dirty disk errors and I'd hate to play for an hour just for my system to fail.

TomServo

LakeEarth said:
I haven't beaten the game yet, I remember hearing the final stage was a big ass pain. Is it really long? My 360 has been giving some dirty disk errors and I'd hate to play for an hour just for my system to fail.

It's nothing on the scale of FFIII DS last dungeon pain-in-the-ass. I actually thought the last stage was pretty short. Where are you exactly?

I think 40 hours would be about right. If you play for around 70 (and I did) and max out your character levels the game becomes pretty trivial unless you're playing at a high difficulty. Most of the bosses near the end never got a single attack on me. I'm not talking about attacking and missing, I mean their turn simply never came up.

LakeEarth

I beat it today. The last stage was kinda long since there were a high number of enemies that couldn't be Field Barriered out of the way. The ending was so utterly lame :lol

The only thing I thought was cool was
the final boss was the monster in the murals, I'd long forgot about those.
Though when he showed up I couldn't help but thinking "you've got to be fricken kidding me!"

ZeoVGM

Banned
So I just picked this up. I had only played the demo up until now and it didn't impress me, but I'm enjoying the final version a lot better.

The music is fantastic so far (not that that's unexpected) and the graphics are very nice, but the framerate issues kind of suck. I can ignore it obviously, but still.

And yes, I enjoy the old school battle system. There's nothing wrong with that, so it annoys me when reviewers act like it's an automatic negative.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Hey, for the "Got 1,000,000 Gold" experience, that's for.. the whole game total, including gold you used, right? You don't have to have 1,000,000 ON you?

That, and does New Game + or the new difficulty levels hurt achievements? I can still get the 99 lvl max characters achievement that way, right?

goldenpp72

Its for 1 million gold on hand, but no worries I have over 2 million now easily, new game+ isn't hurting my achievements as I missed most of them my first run yet the only ones I have left are my 99 skills for all classes thing..

Also I accidently used a heart on a level 99 skill, one would assume it wouldnt let you do that but it did, this wont bug the achievement like the 98 to 99 does right? Id be so pissed since im more than half way done maxing skills. 1000/1000 ftw!

2DMention

Banned
I'm a HUGE J-RPG whore who's super easy to please, but I quit playing this game after about 3 hours and re-sold it on ebay.

I just couldn't get into it at all. Throughly mediocre. Very bland graphics. Dull story.

It price-dropped in record time too, which is a testament to how mediocre it truly is.

ravien56

playing through this game now, almost finished the 2nd disc....im having a bit of trouble with the boss and I need to get out of the ship to level up but I cant warp out....am i fucked?>_<

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
ronito said:
I hate to ask this but I'll be getting an Xbox 360 soon after the price drop, should I get this or Lost Odyssey/?

Hmm... don't know how to answer that, it really differs for people. I liked them both but would have to give the slight edge to BD, considering my tastes. I think I got too caught up in grinding in LO, and was going through some bad times while playing it, not to mention my 360 disk drive kinda sucks and I received a ton of DRE's on disk 4. These factors probably hurt my optimal enjoyment of the game. You can't go wrong with either, tho.

ronito said:
I hate to ask this but I'll be getting an Xbox 360 soon after the price drop, should I get this or Lost Odyssey/?

I think there's a lot more starategy in LO's battle system. At least, they rely much more heavily on weakness/immune/strength system with elements and such. You actually need to use buffs.

BD, on the normal level, is so ridiculously easy it takes a lot of the fun out of the battle system/job system. I think you have to play with the hard mod if you want any kind of challenge.

I preferred the music and visuals in BD, but the gameplay in LO.

Oh, and LO is set up so that you don't need to grind. But again, the normal mode is so easy in BD that you don't need to grind there either.

Muffdraul

One very incredibly minor thing, LO contains a lot of little BD references, sort of like the way certain monsters/spells/weapons etc. carry over from one FF to another. BD wasn't the best RPG ever, but when I was playing LO and noticing all of the references I was glad I'd played BD first.

Nif

mh56 said:
playing through this game now, almost finished the 2nd disc....im having a bit of trouble with the boss and I need to get out of the ship to level up but I cant warp out....am i fucked?>_<

Which boss are you on? If you're playing Hard mode, a lot of bosses seem impossible, but really aren't. You might just need to adjust your strategy a bit.

About 1,000,000 gold achievement:

Yes, you need it ON you.

There are two ways I recommend.

1) Get most of the way through the game normally. Sell all of your items in your inventory to boost yourself over 1,000,000 gold. Get the achievement. Don't save the game and restart from your last save.

2) THere is an island in teh south of the map when you get the Mercat that has nothing but Golden Poos. Equip the Poo bracelet on Shu (instantly kills all poos) and the Shoes of Hermes on Shu (automatically attack first). You will instantly kill the poo in one hit. The amount of gold you get is variable, but you can get as much as 38,000 gold from one 4-second fight (you only ever fight one at a time). I got 1.5 million gold killing them.

ON THE LAST DUNGEON ON HARD MODE!!

I think there's a lot more starategy in LO's battle system. At least, they rely much more heavily on weakness/immune/strength system with elements and such. You actually need to use buffs.

BD, on the normal level, is so ridiculously easy it takes a lot of the fun out of the battle system/job system. I think you have to play with the hard mod if you want any kind of challenge.

I preferred the music and visuals in BD, but the gameplay in LO.

Oh, and LO is set up so that you don't need to grind. But again, the normal mode is so easy in BD that you don't need to grind there either.

On hard mode you absolutely need to use your buffs, but the buffs are like LO in that they are item based, especially the accessories. The bosses especially DEMAND that you kit out your party well to counter status effects, elements, etc.

I beat LO and I think the strategy is actually a bit better in Blue Dragon because in BO you can see the turn order and plan ahead. If LO had that turn-order indicator so that you could plan it would be superior. By the end of LO you have so many skills equipped that you are practically invulnerable to everything and nothing affects you.

No. I played it on hard mode and it is not impossible. It only seems that way until you figure out how to approach the boss. They all have a stragegy and strengths and weaknesses.

Now, if you are out of Phoenix Talons, however,..... :D

ravien56

No. I played it on hard mode and it is not impossible. It only seems that way until you figure out how to approach the boss. They all have a stragegy and strengths and weaknesses.

Now, if you are out of Phoenix Talons, however,..... :D
im actually playing it on normal but looking at guides and stuff, im very low for my lvl in that area...the gamefaqs said to be lvl 42, im lvl 30...im fighting the 4 robots combined into 1 boss followed by szabo at nenes fortress..the raging kesu, the cowboy guy...yea pretty much they use their formation attack right at the start and im like practically dead and with only 1 healer, its hard to keep every1 alive and heal

Raging Kesu is the key. He absolutely must die first. The rest fall easily after him because his status effects from his knives are far more troubling than any direct damage the rest do. I can give you more hints if you need them. I also have the official guide so if you want to know anything specific just ask. (I only use it so that I can make sure to NOT miss any of the very rare or one of a kind monsters so that I can complete the monster log for the achievement).

I also want to say that I never really tried to heal my guys. they always died. I always just made sure to use the pheonix talons to get them back up. I put double item on Shu (at the time he was my white magic user) so that I can revive 2 people in one turn.

Almost done with the game on hard mode.

I've gotten the last warp activated right in front of the final boss Nene. Right now I'm just getting levels in order to take down the optional super-bosses.

I seriously love this RPG and I'm almost feeling a little sad that it's almost over. Between this and Lost Odyssey, 360 fans were blessed. I really, really hope that they make a sequel to this. In some ways its better than Lost Odyssey and in some ways I like LO better. Both are awesome.

I have to beat Blue in a few days, however, as Infinite Undiscovery is next (then Vesparia).

What a ride this game was.

phez

Banned
2DMention said:
I'm a HUGE J-RPG whore who's super easy to please, but I quit playing this game after about 3 hours and re-sold it on ebay.

I just couldn't get into it at all. Throughly mediocre. Very bland graphics. Dull story.

It price-dropped in record time too, which is a testament to how mediocre it truly is.

i said wow

Orodreth

I finally restarted the game (had to leave it long ago after my asian 360 died) and have been playing for about 5 hours.

Wow at the graphics, it has its bland textures, effects and details here and there but i just love the fantastic design in terms of the claymation touch the engine achieves, and paired with the lightning it looks gorgeous.

For now, it has been really easy and a bit dull in terms of gameplay but the combination of graphics/ great music/naive characters is interesting enough for me to keep me playing.

Also, i just got to meet Marumaro and :lol. I have read the mayority hates this character but i just cant help but laugh and enjoy it, so sign me for the Marumaro defense force

I went out to get Tales of Vesperia today (went to 4 stores with no copies insight) and ended up picking this game up for real cheap. I have heard plenty of mixed things about it but I decided to just give it a go. Ill pick tales up when its cheaper later on.

Dont really want to read any of the thread so could someone tell me what they think of this game?

BakedPigeon

+art style of game is minimalist but awesome. It's like playing an anime OVA or a Saturday morning cartoon.

+Likeable characters.

+ Battle systems are great. You can see the enemy encounters and you can choose how you want to approach them. You can use the encounter circle to pull in several enemy parties and attack them at once. If you pull certain monsters together they get into a "monster fight" and fight each other. You have "field skills" which help you to avoid, attract, delay, or gain the advantage against these roaming enemies. The "Shadows" system allows you basically to custom-make a character by mixing and matching the shadows and the resulting skills they provide.

+great music for the most part. Best boss music ever, but some people hate it. For me, I can't get the music out of my head for a while after playing it.

+60+ hours long. Tons of side quests and optional bosses to test you.

+The achievements are not as hard to get as some have you believe. I have almost 400 right now and will probably be closer to 500 after first playthrough.

+story isn't innovative but I like its structure. It's kind of like playing a series of cartoon episodes and EVERY disk has a "season finale". So you won't get the abysmally boring ending of a disk like in Lost Odyssey that makes you wonder whether you want to put the next one in (glad I did). You feel like you accomplished something after every disk and want more.

+loading times are fast especially during battles, which is very important as you will fight hundreds. No 20+ second loads likein Lost Odyssey.

-some slowdown here and there but it isn't bad and doesn't effect gameplay. In fact, during some of my super attacks, it slows down and actually adds more drama to the attack. It is there though.

-A lot of opportunity to flesh out the world's story was missed becasue the NPC (townspeople, etc) dialog is really simple. It might have been done this way so that the game can appeal to a younger player as well.

-PLEASE PLAY IT ON HARD MODE. NORMAL MODE IS SO EASY IT MAY TURN YOU OFF TO THE GAME. You really don't have to use the game's systems to full effect on normal mode because it is so easy. Download the hard mode and use it. That's what I think should have been the default normal mode.

Need more, just ask.

BakedPigeon

+art style of game is minimalist but awesome. It's like playing an anime OVA or a Saturday morning cartoon.

+Likeable characters.

+ Battle systems are great. You can see the enemy encounters and you can choose how you want to approach them. You can use the encounter circle to pull in several enemy parties and attack them at once. If you pull certain monsters together they get into a "monster fight" and fight each other. You have "field skills" which help you to avoid, attract, delay, or gain the advantage against these roaming enemies. The "Shadows" system allows you basically to custom-make a character by mixing and matching the shadows and the resulting skills they provide.

+great music for the most part. Best boss music ever, but some people hate it. For me, I can't get the music out of my head for a while after playing it.

+60+ hours long. Tons of side quests and optional bosses to test you.

+The achievements are not as hard to get as some have you believe. I have almost 400 right now and will probably be closer to 500 after first playthrough.

+story isn't innovative but I like its structure. It's kind of like playing a series of cartoon episodes and EVERY disk has a "season finale". So you won't get the abysmally boring ending of a disk like in Lost Odyssey that makes you wonder whether you want to put the next one in (glad I did). You feel like you accomplished something after every disk and want more.

+loading times are fast especially during battles, which is very important as you will fight hundreds. No 20+ second loads likein Lost Odyssey.

-some slowdown here and there but it isn't bad and doesn't effect gameplay. In fact, during some of my super attacks, it slows down and actually adds more drama to the attack. It is there though.

-A lot of opportunity to flesh out the world's story was missed becasue the NPC (townspeople, etc) dialog is really simple. It might have been done this way so that the game can appeal to a younger player as well.

-PLEASE PLAY IT ON HARD MODE. NORMAL MODE IS SO EASY IT MAY TURN YOU OFF TO THE GAME. You really don't have to use the game's systems to full effect on normal mode because it is so easy. Download the hard mode and use it. That's what I think should have been the default normal mode.

Need more, just ask.

Wow thanks for the response. Ya I'm gonna start playing this today, I'll be sure to do it on hard then.

Hard mode is a must and I believe most of us much preferred playing with Japanese audio with English subtitles.

Try and diversify your shadow's skills as much as possible (at least in the early going) once you have unlocked classes.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/810/810032p1.html

Two last things, make sure to equip everyone with Generalist skills (the equip +1, +2, +3, etc. are incredibly helpful) and search EVERYTHING. 'Nothings' seem pointless at first, but they fast become addictive later on.

2DMention

Banned
ronito said:

I see LO got a price drop recently too..

But there's so many damn RPGs coming out in the next few months it'll have to wait.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ronito said:
I have LO, pretty enjoyable at the begining. It's also my first next gen RPG. It would be really time consuming now but you won't regret it. You have ToV that just came out and Infinite Undiscovery in 3 days. I'm getting IU so I can easily recommend that. Read favorable impressions by Himoru in the ToV thread. I've always wanted BD but the time is not there right now. And the funds. It's only 30/NEW here but I would rather invest that in future purchases at this point.

Just got done playing a few hours, it kept me pretty entertained up until the point my power flickered on and off and I had not saved for a bit :(

btw this is my first time playing a game like this so I'm just trying to learn the in's and out's of the gameplay but I thought I did alright. Does it get better the further you get into the game?

the game only gets better as you get more abilities and items by getting accessories and more skills by diversifying your shadows.

Speevy

Banned
I'm thinking of getting this game tomorrow. I can buy it for about 13.50 with Gamestop's coupon.

I know it's been asked before, but is the game worth it? I've been out of the 360 loop for a while.

Llyranor

It's cheap. If you like oldschool JRPGs, you're set.

The default game difficulty is apparently pretty easy, though. So if you like a challenge, download the hard mode DLC - it's awesome.

Nif

Speevy said:
I'm thinking of getting this game tomorrow. I can buy it for about 13.50 with Gamestop's coupon.

I know it's been asked before, but is the game worth it? I've been out of the 360 loop for a while.

If you enjoy oldschool RPGs, then it's worth it at any price. For 13.50, I'd buy it just to have in my collection. :p Battle system is great, music and graphics are great, but the story is nothing special. Don't get too annoyed by the boss music. It'll grow on you.

Just remember to play in Hard difficultly. /obligation as BD fan

Speevy

Banned
Old school RPGs are pretty much the only kind I like. I'd rather play Dragon Quest 8 than anything else on the PS2.

Aaron

Speevy said:
Old school RPGs are pretty much the only kind I like. I'd rather play Dragon Quest 8 than anything else on the PS2.
You are certainly the target audience for Blue Dragon. You couldn't be more if you tried.

Great game though. Lots more fun than LO imo.

Nif

Should also mention that it helps if you have a tolerance for shonen anime. It's a typical young-boy-never-gives-up-and-saves-the-world story, for the most part. It kind of mocks its own cliches at at least one point, though.

Aaron

Jazzy Network said:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Even if they're wrong.
Blue Dragon just has better gameplay, better game flow, enemies actually on the map, maps that aren't a series of super narrow hallways but actual locations, some of the most awe-inspiring environments ever, and a story that while shallow isn't the gibberish of LO.

LO had great characters, but nothing else for me.

Just a reminder to any of the new players: PLAY ON HARD MODE can't be said enough.

Hard mode isn't a normal Hard...it's about Normal in most games. Normal in BD takes out most of the challenge.

Blackjack

You know what part I really liked about this game? The "Make Kluke a ring" minigame. Hopped onto GameFAQs, maxed that bitch out, and turned a character that had been my weakest into a fucking beast, oneshotting entire battles for me. It was pretty awesome.

Speevy

Banned
Okay I'm playing the game, and I really like it.

But I took your advice and chose hard mode...is this making the boss fights longer?

2DMention said:

I gave up towards the end of third disc and I have higher standards than you claim.

BTW, your standards are much higher than you claim.

Speevy

Banned
As of the day pre-ToV, there wasn't a single next-gen RPG rated higher than B- (79%)

BD's price drop has to do with the fact that it didn't sell very well, and that it's published by Microsoft, not the quality.

Lost Odyssey will be 15 bucks by March.

Top Bottom