• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Reflection |OT| Modern day Magical Girls

Malyse

This game feels like missed opportunities.
I would have gone an entirely different direction with the DLC. Like, do they not understand how thirsty the Sailor Moon fan base is?

I'm really hoping this is the rpg equivalent of Mass Effect/Uncharted/Assassin's Creed in that the first game was just setting up the rules and conceits and the next game is transformative excellence.

I also hope this gets a late Switch port, cause if it's on Vita, it should be on Switch.

-----

The fanservice in Blue Reflection must be mentioned. Gust went out of their way to develop state-of-the-art wet shirt technology and an odd penchant for girls getting caught out in the rain without an umbrella so that they're completely drenched. Having Hinako take a bath back home in the evenings is also pure fanservice with no gameplay component besides watching her submerge herself under water or lay against the side of the tub.
I am absolutely not an opponent of fanservice (please give the titles on my reviews page a look, this site may as well be called 'Cute Anime Girl RPG Review'), but for the most part I felt like the fanservice detracted from the game. I say this mostly because I just didn't care much for Hinako's 3D model or seeing fanservice of her or most of her classmates - the 3D model style is very doll-like, which works well for some characters and not so well for others.
http://www.jrpgreview.com/blue-reflection.html
Blue Reflection is almost a game made for girls, but the aforementioned activities aren't played and there's just enough softcore fan service that let's on who this is intended for.
The appeal of Blue Reflection is similar to the appeal of idol groups. The music isn't very good, but a lot of people just like to oogle at the girls because they're extremely cute, and sometimes that pours over a little into semi-softcore fan service.
https://www.destructoid.com/review-blue-reflection-463367.phtml

It would be nice to have a good magical girl game before we played the pandering card.

SephLuis

I thought Escha and Logy was the best Atelier game and Shallie was decent, were Sophie and Firis really that bad?

E&L was amazing and Shallie was really, really good though lesser than E&L.

Sophie was also very good and fun game, but Firis was worse than Sophie. So it's been on a slump ever since E&L, however, even Firis is still considered a good game.

PaulSane

Why didn't anyone tell me this was a horror game?

f890bcdadd.jpg

It's an enlarged thumbnail of one of the game screenshots i took on steam

Tohsaka

I like the game a lot so far, lack of challenge doesn't really bother me. The item crafting system does feel kinda useless because of that though, I've not bothered using any items at all so far and I'm in chapter 5.

Rosa Lilium

Neo Member
It would be nice to have a good magical girl game before we played the pandering card.

I agree. It seems so disconcerting to see the obvious shoujo style inspired artwork and very grounded slice of life portion of its story attached to such a high level of fanservice. The game would have hit the magical girl demographic much more head on and been less dissonant if it kept to a Sailor Moon or Madoka Magica level of fanservice.

In regards to fanservice in Senran Kagura, sure keep it high but it seems so out of place in Blue Reflection.

Damn shame about the creepy fanservice.

The gaming circles I run in are predominantly female and many of them were excited about the shoujo bent of the game until we learned about all the gross undertones

Yeah, I was somewhat interested in the game until I saw the wet shirt stuff and pointless bathing scenes. Along with some of the DLC costumes, lol. I still think what I heard of the OST is great and while I can put up with certain amounts of fanservice, I'm tired of having to tolerate or suffer through it (depending on how bad it is) to enjoy stuff that looks initially like it'd just be cute or innocent. Maybe sometime in the future I'll borrow it from a friend, but that combined with some of the impressions about the gameplay make me feel lukewarm on it.

Malyse

I'm only on chapter three so maybe there's a lot more but what fanservice is in the game that's worse than Sailor Moon?
Wait really? I thought that stuff was just in the creepy DLC?

Oh no.
Outside of the bathing scene (that literally serve no purpose unlike of things you can do at night), they actually spent time to make their wet shirt tech as realistic as possible

Code:
[IMG]http://www.jrpgreview.com/uploads/5/3/8/7/53875073/blue-reflection-20170331121232_orig.png[/IMG]

Which is just like, seriously man?

And let's not even with the fucking DLC:

Code:
[IMG]https://apollo2.dl.playstation.net/cdn/UP4108/CUSA09085_00/FREE_CONTENTol69oW6JNmTqZu8ClX4T/PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT1_156065.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://nsx.np.dl.playstation.net/nsx/material/c/cb8d04e75af66ca8ce245322a0bd3a60d7a0eadc-1173076.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://nsx.np.dl.playstation.net/nsx/material/8/8f3b70127fa0ca5d9364c72a462a3d47f6c8637f-1174811.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/688240/ss_baf4b3640bf3488d7c8353c80199ce537fd4c60c.1920x1080.jpg?t=1506414816[/IMG]

And the goddamn season pass is $80, which apparently the only story DLC is locked behind. Let me say that again for the people in the back: you can buy pretty much every one of the costumes piecemeal, but the only way to get the "Special Event" content is the $80 season pass.

The gaming circles I run in are predominantly female and many of them were excited about the shoujo bent of the game until we learned about all the gross undertones

Blue Reflection is the most disappointing thing to happen this year since the terrible America Chavez ongoing comic. I don't want to *like* this game, I want to *love* this game. I wanted this to be one of my top ten games of all time.

Tohsaka

I'm only on chapter three so maybe there's a lot more but what fanservice is in the game that's worse than Sailor Moon?

The game is rated T, it's not as bad as some people are making it out to be. It's nowhere near as bad as Senran Kagura or something. The focus of the game is definitely not on the fanservice, but if people have little to no tolerance for any of it then I guess it would be off-putting. It's mostly just school swimsuits (the more revealing ones aren't in the game without DLC), random wet shirts on rainy days (which I've only seen happen twice so far) and bath scenes where you can't even see anything.

Rosa Lilium

Neo Member
The focus of the game is definitely not on the fanservice

Actually, that's a part of the problem. The fanservice isn't justified by either the setting or the larger story line so the gratuitous stuff that is there stands out that much more awkwardly. It doesn't fit with the rest of the game.

The game is rated T, it's not as bad as some people are making it out to be. It's nowhere near as bad as Senran Kagura or something. The focus of the game is definitely not on the fanservice, but if people have little to no tolerance for any of it then I guess it would be off-putting. It's mostly just school swimsuits (the more revealing ones aren't in the game without DLC), random wet shirts on rainy days (which I've only seen happen twice so far) and bath scenes where you can't even see anything.
So I've already seen it all besides the rainy clothes.
School swimsuits are whatever. Bath scenes are a total non-issue. Both of those are in every Mahou shoujo anime ever.
Wet shirts I can do without but if the girls are in the rain doing their normal stuff it seems like it'd be whatever as long as they don't go the typical anime route of comparing breast sizes or whatever. I'll see when I get to it. This game has been pretty tame and innocent so far.

Tohsaka

Actually, that's a part of the problem. The fanservice isn't justified by either the setting or the larger story line so the gratuitous stuff that is there stands out that much more awkwardly. It doesn't fit with the rest of the game.

Yeah, hence the term "fan service." It doesn't need to be there, and I'm not defending it, but it is for people who like that stuff, it's typical for games and anime targeted at otakus. That's GUST's main audience, though they do have a decent-sized female fanbase from what I've read. I just think people are making it out to be worse than it is, since you can find swimsuit DLC costumes and such in pretty much every modern JRPG, including others that aren't focused on fanservice like the Tales games, Trails, Final Fantasy, Xenoblade, etc. I can understand it if people have no tolerance for stuff like that, but I imagine that'd mean you'd be skipping nearly every JRPG in general these days.

chrono01

I wanted to play this game, but it hitting at a time where I'm already busy with so many titles (as well as the fact that it's not the strongest, gameplay-wise) leads me to believe I should wait until later if/when it receives a price-drop, and then jump in. Or I might pass entirely, we'll see.

The OST is absolutely amazing, though.

Yeah, hence the term "fan service." It doesn't need to be there, and I'm not defending it, but it is for people who like that stuff, it's typical for games and anime targeted at otakus. That's GUST's main audience, though they do have a decent-sized female fanbase from what I've read. I just think people are making it out to be worse than it is, since you can find swimsuit DLC costumes and such in pretty much every modern JRPG, including others that aren't focused on fanservice like the Tales games, Trails, Final Fantasy, Xenoblade, etc. I can understand it if people have no tolerance for stuff like that, but I imagine that'd mean you'd be skipping nearly every JRPG in general these days.

I guess part of it is that it's also something that drastically limits the audience for these types of games. Like, Atelier is already not amazing with the fanservice, especially lately (PLACHTA), and I think that's the kind of franchise that would otherwise be really appealing to a broad demographic. I still play every Atelier game, but the inevitable hot spring scene or whatever isn't something I look forward to. It's something to rationalize, to ignore, to weigh whether it's bad enough to make you not want to play anymore.

It would also be a lot easier to set aside your reservations if the game was worth it, but reviews are mixed. So who knows.

Personally, though it's not actually a magical girl thing (or really even all that close to one), I'm holding out more hope for the Little Witch Academia game.

I thought Escha and Logy was the best Atelier game and Shallie was decent, were Sophie and Firis really that bad?

Sophie is the last good Atelier game. I wouldn't call it bad at all, though it might pale in comparison to some of the highlights of the PS3 era like Totori or (imo) Ayesha. Firis is a lot more divisive and I found the pacing to be awful, plus the writing continues its downward trend in terms of poor dialogue and one-note characters that all agree with each other and get along all the time.

Daouzin

Aww was expecting the title to be “I hope you will accept this” :p. Anywho, I got it on steam in support of the soundtrack which is pretty freaking catchy. Although a few songs have some dub step in them, overall the music is awesome.

Here is one of favorites:

https://youtu.be/4C_D26xmW04

Wow, I was going to pick this up when it went on sale, but I'll probably have to get this in the next 2 weeks. Awesome track.

Just not sure I'll have time to play it.

Luminaire

I wanted to play this game, but it hitting at a time where I'm already busy with so many titles (as well as the fact that it's not the strongest, gameplay-wise) leads me to believe I should wait until later if/when it receives a price-drop, and then jump in. Or I might pass entirely, we'll see.

The OST is absolutely amazing, though.

So many damn good tracks.

As for the game, I'm loving it so far. I find the gameplay and combat rather fun. The story is charming to me. The TIGAR tracks are top-godddamn-knotch, especially -Michael-.

Oh no.
Outside of the bathing scene (that literally serve no purpose unlike of things you can do at night), they actually spent time to make their wet shirt tech as realistic as possible

Code:
[IMG]http://www.jrpgreview.com/uploads/5/3/8/7/53875073/blue-reflection-20170331121232_orig.png[/IMG]

Which is just like, seriously man?

LMAO. Yeah, I'm staying away from this game. Thanks for the warning.

Thanks for the OT! Nicely done.

I am really loving this game so far. Playing this and Ruiner and I can already see those two games being in my top 10 for this year.

The OST is damn good, and I love the battle menu design. Also, creatively I love the game's story so far.

Game looks and runs great downsampled from 4K on my PC with no frame rate issues whatsoever.

If you are interested in a fun JRPG to play right now, I'd highly recommend this game, otherwise I'd say this is a solid pick up during a PSN/Steam sale during black friday etc.

It's a great time to be playing videogames!

Eusis

I'll probably still give a shake sometime, but it IS exasperating how it's like Gust is so close all the time at this stuff but always has to fumble it at the finish line for that base who laps up pandering.

-Horizon-

Started playing. Up to the start of chapter 3? Are they separated into chapters? I forget. Its the one after Rin. My opinions so far

Pros:
Visually looks great.
Really enjoying the music.
Character designs, I approve of short hair protagonists.
Pretty easy to understand combat and how to distribute stats

Cons:
Weird slow downs during cutscenes on the ps4
PS4 turns into a jet on multiple occasions with this game (I've only had this happen with games like uncharted)
The volume on the dialogue can get drowned out by the music or just go really quiet sometimes
Quite a few grammatical errors

Started playing. Up to the start of chapter 3? Are they separated into chapters? I forget. Its the one after Rin. My opinions so far

Pros:
Visually looks great.

Cons:
PS4 turns into a jet on multiple occasions with this game (I've only had this happen with games like uncharted)
The volume on the dialogue can get drowned out by the music or just go really quiet sometimes
That's pretty much my con list as well. Shame about the errors in the text as the localization is good but the editing could be better.

Ri'Orius

Looks good. Although I'm not a fan of jRPGs with real-time button input. How big of a thing is that? Do they at least do something interesting with it (a la Shadow Hearts, where you can customize your ring)? How generous is the timing?

Looks good. Although I'm not a fan of jRPGs with real-time button input. How big of a thing is that? Do they at least do something interesting with it (a la Shadow Hearts, where you can customize your ring)? How generous is the timing?
Oh, you mean for the assists?
They take a while to charge so you only get to do it maybe a couple times in longer boss battles. There's plenty of time to react as well. Nothing to worry about!

Linkura

Pros:
Visually looks great.

Cons:
Another shitty Gust localization? Come on, KT....

Cornbread78

It's a shame games like this (not the fanservice stuff) are falling out of favor..

More jrpgs like this are much appreciated..

Malyse

I wonder how the Madoka vita games are in Japan..

Not good enough imo. Oh whoops, you said Vita and I thought of PSP.

Here's this though: https://kotaku.com/if-you-skip-the-madoka-magica-vita-game-you-wont-be-m-1500857553

Actually there's one fantastic magical girl game, but it can't legally come out in America. Magical Battle Arena 2 is an aerial combat game that pits famous magical girls (Card Captor Sakura, Nanoha, Prism Ilya, etc) versus the Touhou girls. It's great.

But I would still like a MG action game. Closest thing that exists to the ideal is something like Neptunia U.

Battlechili

Banned
So far Blue Reflection has been really wonderful for me. At the very least, its better than other recent Gust games I've played by far (Atelier Rorona, Atelier Sophie, Nights of Azure). The game wasted no time getting straight to the story, and to my glee the Persona-esque aspects of the game directly relate to the plot, making it much easier to care about everything going on in the game. And boy oh boy, the plot really is a lot like Persona in some ways. You go into an alternate world based on people's psyches and fight their inner demons to help solve their personal problems. And doing this makes you stronger as a magical girl, brings you closer to getting one wish of yours granted, and makes the world safer. All the game's plot points and character focus seem tightly knit to each other.
I was surprised at how quick the game gets players to care about the characters too. Right from the start you learn that the main character is depressed since she can't perform ballet anymore after an accident when she was younger. The excitement you see once she becomes a magical girl for the first time and realizes she can move on her feet again is such a pleasure to see. Its a really good game for the heart.

And of course, the game is probably one of the prettiest games out there, both visually and audio-wise. The music is divine, and its also dynamic, changing as cutscenes play. It makes scenes much more exciting and makes the music always be at the right part for a particular scene. The music while walking around the highschool is also really relaxing and mellow and works perfectly with the background white noise of students chatting. And the students chatting in particular I think helps make it easier to immerse into the game.

Some people have mentioned being turned off by the fanservice, but I actually think the fanservice just makes an already good game better. Its an added bonus alongside everything else imo. I think the way DLC is handled is kind of funny though. The most fanservicey of DLC outfits is free, while most of the others are random, less sexualized cosmetics, minus one sailor swimsuit set. But I think the free swimsuit set is better than the one that costs money anyways. Still, I can see how if you're not fond of that sort of thing it can be a bother. Though I personally hope Gust doesn't ever stop doing this in their games. I like my fanservice.

I will say though that the combat itself hasn't impressed me yet. Its too simple. I want more combat options. I know I'll probably get more as I go on, but it makes the early battles less fun. Still, its refreshing in a market free of such titles for there to be a magical girl game.

Linkura

Some people have mentioned being turned off by the fanservice, but I actually think the fanservice just makes an already good game better. Its an added bonus alongside everything else imo. I think the way DLC is handled is kind of funny though. The most fanservicey of DLC outfits is free, while most of the others are random, less sexualized cosmetics, minus one sailor swimsuit set. But I think the free swimsuit set is better than the one that costs money anyways. Still, I can see how if you're not fond of that sort of thing it can be a bother. Though I personally hope Gust doesn't ever stop doing this in their games. I like my fanservice.

As a female who is fucking sick of the sexualization of minors in media and in our everyday lives (but also enjoys the Atelier series, magical girl manga/anime, and JRPGs in general), reading this made me feel so fucking uncomfortable.

I also want to add that I don't want to shit on this thread/make it go off the rails. But I reacted so strongly that I felt I had to say something. Carry on.

Tohsaka

The Hide and Seek app seems to be really pointless. I found the first bear, but there's no way to interact with it or any of the other ones. They should've made it so you get a trophy for finding them all, or something.

Stuart444

Just started it and got through the Tutorial battle. Graphically it looks lovely and the music is nice.The transformation scene just made me think of Sailor Moon haha.

Some small typos and stuff so far. But nothing too major I guess...

Some framerate drops here and there.

I do wish it had been a mixed school instead of an all girls school, just as a side note. Never a fan of one gender schools.

We'll see how this goes anyway.

Cornbread78

Not good enough imo. Oh whoops, you said Vita and I thought of PSP.

Here's this though: https://kotaku.com/if-you-skip-the-madoka-magica-vita-game-you-wont-be-m-1500857553

Actually there's one fantastic magical girl game, but it can't legally come out in America. Magical Battle Arena 2 is an aerial combat game that pits famous magical girls (Card Captor Sakura, Nanoha, Prism Ilya, etc) versus the Touhou girls. It's great.

But I would still like a MG action game. Closest thing that exists to the ideal is something like Neptunia U.

Yeah, we rarely get any of the anime games, so I guess we're not missing too much then.

Looks like my copy of this arrived today, but I definitely won't be able to start it until Sunday at least, need to finish Danganronpa V3 first. TBH I feel like I must be crazy for buying this game, because I've bought only bought 5 Gust games in my life and I honestly didn't get much enjoyment out of any of them, but the allure of the Persona-esque elements was too strong.

Luminaire

Just started it and got through the Tutorial battle. Graphically it looks lovely and the music is nice.The transformation scene just made me think of Sailor Moon haha.

Some small typos and stuff so far. But nothing too major I guess...

Some framerate drops here and there.

I do wish it had been a mixed school instead of an all girls school, just as a side note. Never a fan of one gender schools.

We'll see how this goes anyway.

I noticed the Lime / Raimu thing in the tutorials.

This is the reason for my hesitation as well. Is the actual audience for this game the shoujo audience or is it the creepy fanservice audience? I've seen a very strange mixture of both from the previews and I'm not sure what to think of it.

This is the reason for my hesitation as well. Is the actual audience for this game the shoujo audience or is it the creepy fanservice audience? I've seen a very strange mixture of both from the previews and I'm not sure what to think of it.
The characters, story, and most of the dialogue is for the shoujo audience.
It's the occasional camera angles, very infrequent dialogue (hey let's trade underwear!), and wet shirts in the rain that are too fanservicey for some.
It's kinda weird tonally, as the closest magical girl show to it imo is Yuuki Yuuna (minus the dark sacrificing stuff) as it's very "yay friendship let's solve everybody's problems and all grow and learn together" but then whoops here's a shot of a girl's butt as she bends over in a swimsuit to talk to somebody in a pool.

Top Bottom