• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

Man, Im lucky to finish in the top 15 today. :lol

I have definitely mastered the art of getting hit by everyone's EVERYTHING. (Especially shunts - Good Lord, last three races Ive been hit by a min. of 2 within the first 20 seconds.)

see5harp

Going to start adding some of 360 GAF. Seems like Bizarre really went out of their way to create an extremely compelling single/multi player system with the friend challenges and it's very disconcerting to be the only person on my leaderboard (especially considering I have over 90 friends).

Loved the demo, loved what I played of the full game yesterday, but I've already had it freeze twice during races. This isn't a problem with Blur; it's yet another game that won't work with my dying Xbox. ;_;

I need a new 360, but I'd hate to buy one now if the rumored e3 price drop is real.

Klocker

this game is so polished in so many ways and one of the most exhilarating MP race games I have ever played... Go get it! :D

Chorazin

Klocker said:
this game is so polished in so many ways and one of the most exhilarating MP race games I have ever played... Go get it! :D

I finally won my first race online last night, and was crazy intense! Your ENTIRE powerup strategy changes when you're in front, and you start hording shields, barges and bolts so you can absorb/destroy oncoming enemy racer fire!

S1kkZ

why in hell is there no quick race option? i hope they add that as free (!) dlc.
love the game so far, the ign review was soo wrong about the difficulty (challenging on normal, too easy on easy).

S1kkZ said:
why in hell is there no quick race option? i hope they add that as free (!) dlc.
love the game so far, the ign review was soo wrong about the difficulty (challenging on normal, too easy on easy).

maybe quick race opens up once you bet the campaign, as before that there really is no point, as you wouldn't be getting fans, no?

This has one of the coolest UI's ever. Extremely well done lobbies, great use of gamerpics in the lobbies and awards screens, nice use of 3D menus, and the "previously on blur" feature is pretty neat too.

^It really shows the effort Bizarre put into the multi, very polished and full featured.

Another great thing is when going up against higher ranked players, I still feel competitive

Man, this game is so good, I just wished the PC community was larger. 360 an PS3 peeps, what is the largest amount of players you have seen on, on PC the most I saw was 120. If the console versions are doing better I might double dip.

I'm not sure if I want this for these reasons.

1. It's from Activision and I get weary of purchasing anything from them lately.
  2. Don't know the legs on this. I got Sonic & Sega Racing and the online is already dead.
  3. I already have Split/Second so don't know if I want to get another arcade racer for full price. And before anyone says, "Blur is better than Split/Second," apples and oranges. However, I think Blur has better multiplayer where I think S/S's single player is better. That's the impressions I'm getting from players and reviews.

see5harp

darkressurection said:
Man, this game is so good, I just wished the PC community was larger. 360 an PS3 peeps, what is the largest amount of players you have seen on, on PC the most I saw was 120. If the console versions are doing better I might double dip.

There were over 1500 online at one point last night (360).

ascully

111 players total this afternoon on 360 when I logged on, maybe that number is not accurate I did't have any issues getting a game.

There was about 1500 when I was playing about an hour ago. Kinda a bummer to see so few people playing. Game is fantastic besides a few gripes. It's impossible to dodge shunts unless you have shunt evader mod equipped, and people have been spamming the fuck out of them. I wish there more playlists with fewer people in a game like skirmish. I want a 5v5 team race or 10 people in motor mash, I think 20 people is way too many. Been sticking with Skirmish the most since I actually have a chance of being in the front and its not as hectic. They have these other playlists that no one is even playing, Event which had no one playing it. I was playing in 20 player powered up game and the guy who got first 5 times in a row, he was level 45, I'm assuming he had some ridiculous mods compared to everyone else who was in the 20's. If anyone wants to trow down some skirmish I'm game. Add my Gamertag - pC InfectedZero

Curufinwe

Any Wipeout fans here care to compare Blur to Wipeout HD? The more I read about this game the more it sounds like my kind of game.

Decado

What's the PS3 online community like? I heard there weren't many people playing, but I think that was release day.

Also, is the split screen any good?

Nice to have a multiplatform game that isn't noticeably better on the 360 for a change.

see5harp

Curufinwe said:
Any Wipeout fans here care to compare Blur to Wipeout HD? The more I read about this game the more it sounds like my kind of game.

One difference is that there doesn't seem to be as much reliance on track memorization. Most of the time you can get around corners pretty easily. Not as impressive visually as wipeout HD, but I personally feel like the combat is a lot more satisfying and the online stuff with level ups, perks, and friend challenges is much more robust than most racing games. If I had to compare the driving feel to another game I'd probably say one of the Need for Speed games. It's definitely an arcade feel, but drifting around corners, pulling off precise shots while drifting, and knowing how to defend against attacks takes some actual skill.

Finished first two times in a row in 20 player races after work today. Both times I made amazing comebacks from anywhere between 8-10 place all the way to first in the last lap. This game is a blast.

Dandy J

mescalineeyes said:
maybe quick race opens up once you bet the campaign, as before that there really is no point, as you wouldn't be getting fans, no?
I would've liked that option just to learn all the tracks without having to look for them in career mode.

Also, the PC update got rid of the 100x XP debug rooms haha!

mr stroke

darkressurection said:

Around 1800 at 12-1am last night. Easy to find a game. I doubt this game will have any sizable community(sent to die release date, should have released mid June/July IMO), but that doesn't matter much to me. As long as I can find online games over the next couple of months I will be satisfied.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Valru said:
so blur...

pc or 360?

any advantages to the PC version or just a port?

Cheaper and better visuals on the PC.

People to play with on the 360.

Curufinwe

Chorazin said:
I never have a problem placing first on Medium. It might take a few times, but that's racing games, right?

Are you the best gamer of all the gamers you know?

Anthony Gallegos review reference.

Dandy J

dude i am on the last single player section and i dont think ive ever had to race twice to get 1st as long as i even half try, other than a couple destruction events. seriously its a really easy game on medium. maybe they changed the difficulty before release? kind of funny if thats true it makes him look like a noob!

Do you guys think this will have long legs online?

I got Sega All Stars Racing and bummed out the online is almost on life support right now.

I think Split Second has a better single player but Blur has a better multiplayer, which is why I'm deciding if I should pick Blur up.

But it depends on the online community of course.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

I got Sega All Stars Racing and bummed out the online is almost on life support right now.

I think Split Second has a better single player but Blur has a better multiplayer, which is why I'm deciding if I should pick Blur up.

I just quit and about 2,200 people were playing on Xbox Live. As long as you like the 4-20 player, free-for-all gametype then you're in good shape. If you're a fan of team racing, well, there's usually around 50 on that playlist at any given time.

mr stroke

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Honestly probably not, but who on GAF plays the same game for ever anyways? Outside of Forza and GT I don't think there is a huge online user base for racing games. I imagine this game will have online legs similar to-NFS, PGR, or DIRT-full lobbies for a couple months then a drop off with a small die hard user base playing from then on.

Dandy J

yo mr stroke, can you update the op with pc usernames? its pretty sparse on there so ppl need all the players they can get

my name on there is Dandy_J

ascully

3000 plus people playing on 360 tonight, had some amazing games. I really love this game so much better online than it is a single player game though.

U2NUMB

ascully said:
111 players total this afternoon on 360 when I logged on, maybe that number is not accurate I did't have any issues getting a game.

I think because the races are fairly quick.. and the matchmaking moves really fast that it is easy for them to dump people into races no matter how many are online.

Hmm...thanks for the replies.

Maybe I should hold off on this one. I already got Split/Second for full price and I don't know if I want to buy another arcade racing game. And I've been disappointed with Sonic All-Stars racing dying online community so I don't want to face that again.

Klocker

damn, another 2 hours away from Red dead for this game... sooo friggin addictive and fun

oh and got a "this time it's personal" achievement (Bizarre logo- looks cool) for wrecking a Blur dev..... :lol

Is there a trick to avoid shunts if you have no weapons left from destroying the previous dozen shunts that all decided to give you the Hulk Hogan finger wave? I love the game, but I cant finish in the top 5 to save my life. Played the demo to death, and was always competitive. In this, it just feel like every race is another episode of "Shattered Dreams" starring myself in hopes of finishing well, but then I get hit with 20 shunts a game. :lol

I had one game where I was juggled in the air by THREE of them, and then wrecked.

Klocker

yea, it can be pretty demoralizing... I took over first place 3/4 way through a race last night (first time ever)! Only to be demolished by the two guys who eventually took 1-2. It was as if they had picked up 3-4 shunts. As for evade, there is a mod that allows a way to evade shunts if you slide back and forth when targeting warning is green and avoid it but I still have not figured how to do it regularly.

still even though I apparently suck, I love this game. :lol

RedStep

TheApatheticOne said:
Man, Im lucky to finish in the top 15 today. :lol

I have definitely mastered the art of getting hit by everyone's EVERYTHING. (Especially shunts - Good Lord, last three races Ive been hit by a min. of 2 within the first 20 seconds.)

I'm beginning to think that there's some factor that people hate about my car. My last two races, I won Punching Bag with 24 and 22 hits. In the last one, I also won the award for blocking the most shots... so it's not like I don't know how to avoid them. For some reason, shunts target my car.

Chorazin

TheApatheticOne said:
Is there a trick to avoid shunts if you have no weapons left from destroying the previous dozen shunts that all decided to give you the Hulk Hogan finger wave?

Drift! Drifting breaks the homing lock. :)

panda21

lawblob said:
How was the TNT last night? I forgot to watch it.

it wasnt great, i think it really depends on how interested you are in the game and what game it is. blur and split/second werent that interesting to watch and theres not that much to say about the actual game.

halo reach and SSF4 were much more interesting.

Barrett2

panda21 said:
it wasnt great, i think it really depends on how interested you are in the game and what game it is. blur and split/second werent that interesting to watch and theres not that much to say about the actual game.

halo reach and SSF4 were much more interesting.
Makes sense. Ive noticed the same thing with the quick looks, some types of games just don't translate that well for a 3rd party viewer. I tried watching for a bit, but the stream was so janky on my netbook, I bailed out.

Pete Rock

Yeah, try the scrambler mod and the last minute drift move to save your ass from the shunt barrage.

I believe they made it this way because it was technically too easy to reliably juke them in the beta, and there are a lot of other perks that could be filling up that third slot so it strikes a balance.

Anyway once I unlocked that I've had a lot less trouble with them, and when I turned it off for something else I felt the pain all over again :lol

RedStep said:
I'm beginning to think that there's some factor that people hate about my car. My last two races, I won Punching Bag with 24 and 22 hits. In the last one, I also won the award for blocking the most shots... so it's not like I don't know how to avoid them. For some reason, shunts target my car.

Ive had the same thing! In almost every race, if punching bad is an award... I got it. And like you said, that usually is paird with me blocking the most shots. I had one dude in a 18 player race who was 18th and drilled me to over take me for the prestigious 17th place, and the moment he passed me and I got control of my car, he DROPPED a shunt right in front of me.

I just started laughing, and told the dude "C'mon man, you kick homeless people too? Go to children's hospitals on Christmas Eve and steal presents?"

Decado

goldsoundz said:
I just quit and about 2,200 people were playing on Xbox Live. As long as you like the 4-20 player, free-for-all gametype then you're in good shape. If you're a fan of team racing, well, there's usually around 50 on that playlist at any given time.
Team racing sounds interesting. Is that available in split-screen mode?

Top Bottom