• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Chorazin said:
Drift! Drifting breaks the homing lock. :)

I cannot get my head (fingers?) around reliably drifting - using the brake usually just ends up costing me 10 places, and using the E-brake spins me out. Where am I going wrong? HOW DO I DRIVE CAR?

Osietra

Banned
What's the general community vibe from this? The peeps who played the PGR's were always a pleasure. Hoping for a repeat...

Yeah I know it's early doors.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Looking for handling impressions. How like PGR is it? Loved PGR and so something like that on PS3 would be great (although I'm not sure about the weapons, I'd rather just race)

Have split/second and it's ok but a little too arcadey and the cars are a little fidgety for my liking.

mrklaw said:
Looking for handling impressions. How like PGR is it? Loved PGR and so something like that on PS3 would be great (although I'm not sure about the weapons, I'd rather just race)

Have split/second and it's ok but a little too arcadey and the cars are a little fidgety for my liking.

It doesn't feel like PGR at all. The cornering is weird in the sense that you think you can take every turn without lifting the gas, just up til the moment you crash into a nearby wall. In my opinion it's driveable, but I don't know why they didn't keep the already pretty arcade handling from PGR.

cabottemp

Banned
Man this game is fun as all hell. I picked up two copies to race with my girlfriend, and we both played offline first to get a feel fir it. We haven't even played online yet cuz foxing the friend challenges are so damn fun!!!!!

Sent from my iPad

~Kinggi~

Banned
I might get this. i got about 30$ in Amazon space bucks so ill get it for 30$. Maybe wait a week until the price comes down 5$ or so. This is Activision though so i doubt it.

Man, this game is so unpredictable. I went from finishing dead last in my first two online races, to finishing first in my third race, up against people 20 levels above me. :lol

My fourth race I was running in second, then my 360 controller battery dies on me. ARRGH!

TheApatheticOne said:
I just started laughing, and told the dude "C'mon man, you kick homeless people too? Go to children's hospitals on Christmas Eve and steal presents?"

That's brilliant! :lol

Good to see there's still some light-hearted competitiveness left in the world!

Well guys, I picked this up tonight. I also have Split Second and like I said, I mainly bought S/S for the single player but I think it can lack in multiplayer.

I hope Blur has longer legs than Sega Sonic All-Stars Racing.

Lately I've been just wanting to play arcade racers. I even picked up Ridge Racer 7 and Motorstorm Pacific Rift. But nobody is playing online for those I think.

Hope Blur is fun.

Also, what's the install size for this game for the 360 version?

Thanks!

How do you drift in this game?

Can you drift like Mario Kart or Ridge Racer 7 where you easily turn corners when you press the breaks and how it starts sliding around the tracks?

I just can't seem to do it right in Blur.

ZeoVGM

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
How do you drift in this game?

Can you drift like Mario Kart or Ridge Racer 7 where you easily turn corners when you press the breaks and how it starts sliding around the tracks?

I just can't seem to do it right in Blur.

Use B to drift. It's not nearly as automated as Mario Kart or RR though.

stevenapex

Neo Member
The hell is going on here in the UK? This game is a pretty big release and its not mentioned anywhere on the high street or online at the major retailers. The only retailer who had it on their main page with their new releases was HMV and it was an ad at the bottom. I hope someone gets their act together and promotes it a bit better. This game is brilliant!

jaydogg691

Just finished playing some single-player and the game is getting tough. I can see where the IGN reviewer was having his problems and the AI does get really aggressive. I started playing the game on Normal which was pretty easy, flew by the first set event like nothing. During the second set of events I decided to switch it up to Hard and the game did get tough, but managed to finish. I'm on the third set and the difficulty increased so high I had to switch back to Normal. Right now I'm just trying to see how many events I get get done on Hard so I won't replay all of them so I need to get that Gold Trophy. I'm really a completionist when it comes to racing games so I usually stick to an event until I get all of the lights and that's why haven't progressed so far.

I've been play too much single player, but on the weekend I'll try to focus on multiplayer. I need some Blur friends, so if you want to add me:

PSN: jaydogg691

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
stevenapex said:
The hell is going on here in the UK? This game is a pretty big release and its not mentioned anywhere on the high street or online at the major retailers. The only retailer who had it on their main page with their new releases was HMV and it was an ad at the bottom. I hope someone gets their act together and promotes it a bit better. This game is brilliant!
Activision pissed off all the retailers by trying to get them all to charge RRP (£50).

ZeoVGM

Banned
I love how the achievements are done in Blur. A lot of them require multiple things to be done, like a checklist.

Dang, drifting is really hard in this game! I'm so used to Mario Kart and Sonic Sega All-Stars Racing drifting which is why I keep spinning out in Blur!

I can't seem to make sharp turns successfully. Any tips on what I could do to make better drift turns?

I guess it's more realistic than other arcade racers. I was expecting at least Ridge Racer 7 type of drifting. I think OutRun drifting would be too arcadey, but even Split Second's drifting feels easier.

Game ain't bad though. Single player is tough. I haven't played online yet.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Dang, drifting is really hard in this game! I'm so used to Mario Kart and Sonic Sega All-Stars Racing drifting which is why I keep spinning out in Blur!

I can't seem to make sharp turns successfully. Any tips on what I could do to make better drift turns?

I guess it's more realistic than other arcade racers. I was expecting at least Ridge Racer 7 type of drifting. I think OutRun drifting would be too arcadey, but even Split Second's drifting feels easier.

Game ain't bad though. Single player is tough. I haven't played online yet.
It doesn't really have drifting, it's just more of a handbrake... you'll still need to slow at corners, you can't just whack B and expect to slide round a corner.

cjelly said:
It doesn't really have drifting, it's just more of a handbrake... you'll still need to slow at corners, you can't just whack B and expect to slide round a corner.
Hmmm. Okay. I guess that makes sense.

But does anyone else feel slightly disappointed that you can't really drift in this game especially since it's a arcade combat racer?

I'm a little bit letdown. But maybe I'm focusing on that too much.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
But does anyone else feel slightly disappointed that you can't really drift in this game especially since it's a arcade combat racer?

You can with drifty cars, but it takes a little practice to get right.

Klocker

Digital foundry technical interview Blur

nice Ps3 SPU info as well as this nugget which sheds some light on the consoles AA abilities and solutions

Steven Tovey: The GPU in the 360 packs more punch than the RSX; this is well-documented, on the other hand though the SPUs in the PS3 are astoundingly powerful. I think there are certain techniques, such as God of War 3's MLAA that are just unfeasible on 360, but it works both ways, the 10MB of EDRAM in 360 makes 4x MSAA feasible.

For a cross-platform title like Blur it's really just a balancing act, we need to be mindful of the strengths of both platforms and play to them in order produce the same final frame on both platforms.

Charlie Birtwistle: On PS3 we actually use regular 2x MSAA, then we then apply a half-pixel offset with bilinear filtering late in the frame to very slightly blur the whole image to remove any remaining unsightly jaggies. We found this to produce a more pleasing result than quincunx.

As for 4x MSAA on PS3, this simply wasn't doable because of the additional memory requirements. A back buffer of 1280x720x4AA with depth buffer is nearly 30MB on PS3, whereas this is around 7MB on 360 because the multi samples are only ever used in EDRAM and combined as you copy to main memory, so AA doesn't require any additional memory. We simply couldn't afford such a large memory discrepancy between the PS3 and 360 versions because other systems all had tight budgets.

I imagine for PS3 exclusive games such as GT5 you can budget specifically for things like this, but with a multi-platform project such as Blur this simply wasn't possible.

Steven Tovey: As a PS3 guy, I think there's a lot of potential for improvements in the future. I'm very excited by the work the God of War 3 guys have done with morphological anti-aliasing and think there are some other techniques in that vein that could be worth investigating.

There are some specific ideas we're playing around with at the moment, which should help to accelerate the RSX on our forthcoming titles, but nothing I can really talk about just yet.

cjelly said:
Activision pissed off all the retailers by trying to get them all to charge RRP (£50).

Yeah, isn't it a budget release in the US? It's kinda bullshit that it's £40 here. Not that I could get it right now either way (I'm moving to Wales this week!)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Cuban Legend said:
Finally some BLUR performance benchmarks for the PC...

Eurogamer linked to this article btw.
I ran through the Eurogamer Tech Interview, and it seems like the only difference between the PS3 and X360 versions from a technical standpoint is the level of anti-aliasing.

Maybe whoever ported Bayonetta to the PS3 can learn a thing or two from Blur over how to do it right. :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Captain_Spanky said:
Yeah, isn't it a budget release in the US? It's kinda bullshit that it's £40 here. Not that I could get it right now either way (I'm moving to Wales this week!)
The PS3 and X360 versions are full price, but the PC version is $40.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Man it's great to still see the 4850 posted as the top dog for games after all this time

I'm never updating this bitch :D

Klocker

cjelly said:
I would be impressed by all the tech talk if this game didn't look infinitely worse than PGR4, which is some 3 years old.

PGR didn't have 20 cars with power ups all over the place and lights and explosions and flying debris, projectiles and cars from in front and behind and overhead either. ;)

oh and 720p 4xAA to boot. :D

Fëanor

blur10up4.jpg

Uploaded to facebook!? WHAT IS THIS SHIT!?

They should do photo mode like in PGR4.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Klocker said:
PGR didn't have 20 cars with power ups all over the place and lights and explosions and flying debris, projectiles and cars from in front and behind and overhead either.

Yes. Blur looks amazing.

Spirit3

Get your shit together Bizarre/ Activision. Dropped from games, games imploding on themselves. I'd like to play a full game thanks.

Other than that, superb kart game. Better than Mod Nation imo.

Picked this up today at HMV (with The Italian Job on Blu-Ray for free, how cool is that?). It's very, very slick. I am slightly in love I think, it really knows how to suck you in.

Anyway looking for PSN friends for challenges, I'm Captain_Spanky.

Sysgen

Captain_Spanky said:
Picked this up today at HMV (with The Italian Job on Blu-Ray for free, how cool is that?). It's very, very slick. I am slightly in love I think, it really knows how to suck you in.

Anyway looking for PSN friends for challenges, I'm Captain_Spanky.

The mechanics do suck you in. Usually don't play online but I played till 3AM last night. Races never get old as long as there are a good number of people. The superb Multi-player is making this one of the best arcade racers ever.

Yeah. I'm absolutely hooked.

Got through Proving Grounds (but Shannon was tough. Eventually wrecked her.).

I was on the fence for a little while and then I remembered how much I've always loved BC and they really did not disappoint here. Yes, it is a tough, frustrating game at times but it is such a blast. And hell yes, Multiplayer is so awesome. Raced three times and there were no problems with lag or anything at all. Totally smooth experience. It sucks that there's not THAT many people playing but I remember still finding Burnout Revenge games months after release. Hey, all we need are 20 people, right?

;D

Bizarre Creations delivers again. Kudos!

(Get it? "Kudos"? That was what they called Style Points in Project Gotham Racing, which was a series they also worked on.)

FatalT

Banned
For anyone having trouble beating the other racers in single player, have you tried changing the difficulty to Easy? That makes it a whole lot more manageable!

Top Bottom