• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

Omiee

dark10x said:
Limited to 24fps?

Which video card are you using? Is your display a TV?

I found that, with DX10 games, my older nVidia cards would often default to 24Hz with no way to change it in some instances.

With my ATI card, it was initially a problem, but enabling hardware scaling in the video card control panel COMPLETELY eliminated the problem in all instances.

i have a ati 5850 so its def not that nor my processor cuz its a phenom x2 4 965.
fraps says its 24 fps although it doesnt feel like it but still

Klocker

I am loving this game and all that but seriously, how can they not have at least a config where Left trigger switches PU and Rt fires? with A button for accelerate OR even better Rt stick accelerate?

that is a no brainer.

Odrion

Banned
Pete Rock said:
Game is awesome. It actually makes me laugh how many kudos are given to S/S when anyone who played Pure online knows the game will be dead in the water outside of 6 months. I also think AgentOtaku makes a relevant point regarding the recent reviews of LP2, another game designed significantly around multiplayer interaction, an experience which becomes emulated throughout the campaign for better or worse.
Who says this'll last any longer?

Pete Rock

Odrion said:
Who says this'll last any longer?
Someone who values an online system that has some depth and is not entirely broken from day one? I guess we'll just have to see a year from now if it's as bad, at that point you couldn't fill up a Pure lobby outside of Saturday night, once a week. I'm willing to be more optimistic, especially considering my remark was made in the context of S/S having no class restrictions on the races, just like Pure. So your first few races are basically pointless, getting stastically crushed by guys with A class quads/cars until you unlock them. You can't even think about competing until that happens.

There is a slight element of that to Blur, but they give you a "driving school" which is rank capped at 10 so you can hang out there until you unlock some decent rides, or at least those of your contemporaries for more even races. Even then, they have a prestige mode just like MW wherein you trade your rank 50 for a fancy car, and go back to having all the basic mods unlocked, having to re-earn everything. Now I don't know why I even bothered to type two paragraphs in response to a six word inquiry, but whatever.

Klocker

so much depth to the reporting and option... even saves the results of your last 10 online matches :D

fun, exhilarating racing

just started playing blur and so far im finding it more polished/better frame rate than split second...both games are fun though (playing pc versions on i5 750/5850)...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Omiee said:
i have a ati 5850 so its def not that nor my processor cuz its a phenom x2 4 965.
fraps says its 24 fps although it doesnt feel like it but still
OK, try opening the CCC and go to the properties of your particular monitor (can't recall which setting it is) and, under one of the tabs, you should find the option to enable "GPU scaling". This completely solved my 24Hz issues with every game and it hasn't cropped up since. Works better than the nVidia solution even as there haven't been ANY exceptions.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
****************WARNING**********************

DO NOT BUY THE PC VERSION UNLESS YOU ENJOY USING A GAMEPAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just replied post over the BC forums in response to this comment:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Purple44 said:
I love GRID derby racing and Flatout racing and derby and was so looking forward to Blur chaos racing online with 20 players and now after buying the game, I will never be able to enjoy racing Blur online.

Since there NO SUPPORT for my MOMO wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

There only support for pad and KB and your struck with the 3 pad layouts and 2 KB layouts, no assigning the buttons to your liking!! :( So now the game will sit in it case and collect dust, I will not play it if have to use a pad or KB.

My MOMO has two flippers and 6 buttons on the wheel, it would be no problem for me to change the power ups.

On the PC, I would say the majority of PC users that buy racing games like to use a wheel. There are those that use a pad and actually are not to bad with them, but don't force us that like to race with a wheel ( hey it racing game, you should use a wheel ) to have to go out and buy a 360 pad to play Blur on the PC.

I bought my MOMO wheel ( on my third one ) to race with Flatout back in 2005 and now it 2010 and Bizarre going release a PC racing game with no support for WHEELS, it a crime against PC racing!!!!

I have been following Bizarre's Blur in the forum and videos and interviews and look like Bizarre was making all the right moves, a game maker to support, now one yard from the finish line, Bizarre fumbles the ball BIG time for us PC players! :(

I guess I go back to Split Second, at less I was able to assign the controls to my MOMO wheel, but the online racing will not be as good as Blur.

First of all a very BIG thanks to Purple44 for the swift response you gave me to the other thread by pointing me to this one. You just seriously saved me $40 man.

I cannot believe this. Seriously. I simply CANNOT fucking believe this!!! I was *THIS* close to pushing the buy button on Steam until I came here to read that the game doesn't support wheels on the PC.

Bizzarre Creations now has the distinguished pleasure of living up its name...because a decision like this truly is Bizzarre!! What the fuck are you guys thinking??? This is on the *PC* for Christ's sake!!!!! The publisher should demand steering wheel support for ALL racing games on the PC from its developers! This is a fucking OUTRAGE and a direct slap in the face Bizzarre! You have committed an even bigger crime than Infinity Ward did when they decided not to support dedicated servers for MW2.

To say I am disappointed would be a huge understatement. I won't even THINK about buying this game now, unless Bizzarre makes a patch supporting steering wheels *with* proper analog steering and true force feedback ala PGR. Sega/Sumo Digital may have dropped the ball with OutRun 2006 by not putting in FFB support, but at least the game supports steering wheels FFS!

I don't know what else to say. I'm just....gutted. Back to GRID I guess.

Omiee

i love playing it with the 360 controller for pc, the game is pretty fun to be honest, but if split second and blur were 1 game that would have been one of the best racing games ever.
maybe even free roam like burnout paradise ( aaah i can dream )

isamu said:

DO NOT BUY THE PC VERSION UNLESS YOU ENJOY USING A GAMEPAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just replied post over the BC forums in response to this comment:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

First of all a very BIG thanks to Purple44 for the swift response you gave me to the other thread by pointing me to this one. You just seriously saved me $40 man.

I cannot believe this. Seriously. I simply CANNOT fucking believe this!!! I was *THIS* close to pushing the buy button on Steam until I came here to read that the game doesn't support wheels on the PC.

Bizzarre Creations now has the distinguished pleasure of living up its name...because a decision like this truly is Bizzarre!! What the fuck are you guys thinking??? This is on the *PC* for Christ's sake!!!!! The publisher should demand steering wheel support for ALL racing games on the PC from its developers! This is a fucking OUTRAGE and a direct slap in the face Bizzarre! You have committed an even bigger crime than Infinity Ward did when they decided not to support dedicated servers for MW2.

To say I am disappointed would be a huge understatement. I won't even THINK about buying this game now, unless Bizzarre makes a patch supporting steering wheels *with* proper analog steering and true force feedback ala PGR. Sega/Sumo Digital may have dropped the ball with OutRun 2006 by not putting in FFB support, but at least the game supports steering wheels FFS!

I don't know what else to say. I'm just....gutted. Back to GRID I guess.

To be fair this isnt *just* a racing game, I dont know how a Wheel would allow access to control of the power ups, you would need a button to use power ups, a button to discard power ups and a button to switch between power ups. I dont think the game would work well with a wheel.

Edit: If you were being sarcastic I was beaten, well played. =(

Chorazin

isamu said:

This was almost as hilarious as the "putting FFXIII on the 360 dishonors all of Japan" rant.

EDIT: 10-to-1 says the PC port was Activisition's idea and Bizzarre didn't have a thing to do with it.

noisome07

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
To be fair this isnt *just* a racing game, I dont know how a Wheel would allow access to control of the power ups, you would need a button to use power ups, a button to discard power ups and a button to switch between power ups. I dont think the game would work well with a wheel.
Pretty much.

Some of the single player races are out of control. Just think how dumb 20 player races online would be like if you were using a wheel.

chixdiggit

isamu said:

Who would really want to play this any other way? It never even occurred to me to use a wheel.

domstah

bobs99 ... said:

51GvtUXbCML._SS400_.jpg

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
bobs99 ... said:

If what you guys say is true, then I guess this game is not for me. I was aware the game had power ups and other MarioKart-esque style gameplay features, but I was unaware of its twitchy type control scheme.

It appears we have approached a sort of cross roads gentlemen: A developer that makes a racing game these days will make a game that will fall into one of two categories.....arcade and sim. Unfortunately, if it falls into the arcade category, it will undoubtedly be focused on Mario Kart-ish gameplay and hence suffer from things such as power ups, twitchy steering, quick reaction, and thus will control better with a pad than a wheel. Same thing happened with Sega and Sonic AllStar Racing.

Gone are the days of TRUE arcade racing games from the likes of Namco and Sega, where the focus was simply to race and win, while remaining somewhat grounded in reality :(

Daytona USA, Sega Rally, OutRun 2, Ridge Racer, Super GT....all fantastic games that don't rely on such gimmicks as power ups and twitchy controls.

Will we ever get a TRUE arcade racing game again?

GHG

Gold Member
isamu said:
If what you guys say is true, then I guess this game is not for me. I was aware the game had power ups and other MarioKart-esque style gameplay features, but I was unaware of its twitchy type control scheme.

It appears we have approached a sort of cross roads gentlemen: A developer that makes a racing game these days will make a game that will fall into one of two categories.....arcade and sim. Unfortunately, if it falls into the arcade category, it will undoubtedly be focused on Mario Kart-ish gameplay and hence suffer from things such as power ups, twitchy steering, quick reaction, and thus will control better with a pad than a wheel. Same thing happened with Sega and Sonic AllStar Racing.

Gone are the days of TRUE arcade racing games from the likes of Namco and Sega, where the focus was simply to race and win, while remaining somewhat grounded in reality :(

Daytona USA, Sega Rally, OutRun 2, Ridge Racer, Super GT....all fantastic games that don't rely on such gimmicks as power ups and twitchy controls.

sega-rally-revo-pc.jpg

Barrett2

Well, didn't make it over to Best Buy today, so I'll wait til tomorrow to pick it up. The Gametrailers review has me excited, this looks great.

isamu

GHG said:

Ahhh Sega Rally Revo. I game I also own, and have only played it for exactly one day. because it too has no proper support for steering wheels.

Again, mad mad MAAAAAAD props to codemasters! They're the only ones that's gotten it right recently.

vocab

chixdiggit said:
Who would really want to play this any other way? It never even occurred to me to use a wheel.

Gonna use keyboard because I don't feel like installing DS3 drivers!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
lawblob said:
Well, didn't make it over to Best Buy today, so I'll wait til tomorrow to pick it up. The Gametrailers review has me excited, this looks great.
You didn't play the Beta?

Game is hella fun in 20 player online, but suffers from the 'man out front' disease that plagued Sega Superstars Racing. :(

Still really fun, and levelling up is a nice hook.

Barrett2

cjelly said:
You didn't play the Beta?

Game is hella fun in 20 player online, but suffers from the 'man out front' disease that plagued Sega Superstars Racing. :(

Still really fun, and levelling up is a nice hook.
No, i never got around to playing the demo, but in the last few weeks have become interested in it. How is online play, any general connection issues?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
lawblob said:
No, i never got around to playing the demo, but in the last few weeks have become interested in it. How is online play, any general connection issues?
Only problems I had in the Beta were the Matchmaking dumping me in a room on my own or with 2 or 3 others. It didn't seem to want to dump me in to a room that was almost full.

I have read in this thread from those that have the full game, that they seem to have fixed this in the full game. Will be picking mine up on Friday when it's out over here.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Pylon_Trooper said:
Gents, can I get a control scheme layout for the PS3? What're the default buttons, triggers, widgets etc.?

Well, it's a racing game. So accelerate is R2, brake L2, handbrake circle. Beyond that, X fires your weapon, L1 switches which weapon is active if you have more than one, R1 switches camera view. I'm sure there are other buttons on the dual shock 3 controller, but playing Blur I've seen no evidence of any such thing.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay I really want this now but after being terribly disappointed in some other racers, I must try the controls first. Is there a PC demo?

Got to dig into the multi today, got up to level 10.

24 races, only top 3 four times : / .... although I was top 3 into the last half on the last lap in damn near ever race. It was like there was a timer.... 3-2-1... pull your pants down and dump on TheApatheticOne!! :lol

Still had a blast though, looking forward to digging into it more this weekend.

well i manned up and bought the pc version, but i have a feeling MP will be on life support after not so long

plus the debug lobbies are STILL open.. which let people lvl 100x faster.. :/ how can they not take them down after more then 24h live, heh (yeah, i know, LOL THEIR LEVEL DOZENT EFFECT UR FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but it sorta cheapens the whole level idea/keeping people playing)

it's fun but prolly not worthy investment, but i guess we'll see

Peterthumpa

Anyone having sound issues? Sounds for me when I fire missiles, crash, etc seems muzzled, really strange. Already set the sound options to high and the configuration to match with my HT system.

EDIT - PC btw.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
The great thing about this game is that even when losing, it can still be very fun.

More so with friends.

Usually I get very disinterested in games where I don't win.

Grecco

This game has really nice touches.

Getting a "PREVIOUSLY ON BLUR" mesage with your current stats everytime you go back to play is brilliant.

U2NUMB

I am wondering one thing.. in the gametrailers.com review they mentioned daily challenges being in the game but I can not find them. Are they unlocked at a certain level? Or can someone point me to them.

U2NUMB said:
I am wondering one thing.. in the gametrailers.com review they mentioned daily challenges being in the game but I can not find them. Are they unlocked at a certain level? Or can someone point me to them.
They are unlocked by a certain level, but I'm not sure exactly what level. It's before or at 10 I think.

Sysgen

user_nat said:
The great thing about this game is that even when losing, it can still be very fun.

More so with friends.

Usually I get very disinterested in games where I don't win.

Even battling out to avoid last can be a rush.

goldsoundz said:
They are unlocked by a certain level, but I'm not sure exactly what level. It's before or at 10 I think.

Are they? I thought they were available to everyone racing online?

Everdred

U2NUMB said:
I believe its level 14

Lotan

I'm a couple hours in and this game is really growing on me. I even got the wife in on some split screen action, which never happens, because I played up the Mario Kartish nature.

Good times.

Dude, there are next to no people playing Multiplayer on PC. Any PC Blur dudes that want to add me to their friends my tag is monkyofdoom. It is a good thing the PC version is only $40 or else I would be regretting my purchase a bit.

JRW

Installed Steam ver of Blur tonight runs nice on my PC @ 1080p / Maxed settings and my PS3 controller works great with it (using motionjoy driver to emulate 360 gamepad).

Snap I took via FRAPS: Link

see5harp

Playing 360 version and very impressed so far. Didn't get a chance to play the beta but I'm finding the game very fun and I love the art style.

Bisonian

darkressurection said:
Dude, there are next to no people playing Multiplayer on PC. Any PC Blur dudes that want to add me to their friends my tag is monkyofdoom. It is a good thing the PC version is only $40 or else I would be regretting my purchase a bit.

It's the same way on PSN... two nights in primetime, both times between 150-180 total users online. Starting to get worried a little bit =/

vocab

JRW said:
Installed Steam ver of Blur tonight runs nice on my PC @ 1080p / Maxed settings and my PS3 controller works great with it (using motionjoy driver to emulate 360 gamepad).

Snap I took via FRAPS: Link

specs?

greenry

Having a blast with the PC version. Like others have said, the most I've seen online is like 120 people. It is a shame because online is the best part.

If your looking for another PC player add me, greengenes.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gah, I'm about to crack here. I dunno why but it seems so appealing... but I'm also uncertain...

JRW

vocab said:

i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / 6gb DDR3 1600 / EVGA GTX 480 / Realtek audio (onboard) / Win 7 64bit

I noticed the game lacks Anisotropic filter settings but you can force it in Nvidia control panel.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
isamu said:

None of those game can compare to Blur.
They're outdated & not as fun!

Top Bottom