• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

Pimpbaa

That tech interview was interesting. Makes me wonder where exactly other developers are going so wrong with the PS3 (rockstar in particular).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Pimpbaa said:
That tech interview was interesting. Makes me wonder where exactly other developers are going so wrong with the PS3 (rockstar in particular).

Some devs just don't care.

Pimpbaa said:
I love Blur a whole lot, but at the end of the day, a GTA4/RDR it is not, when it comes to complexity, so give R* a break.

rinker

Can anyone give me an idea of how many players are on XBL during decent hours?

I got it for ps3 and its pretty disappointing that on a holiday weekend at night there's only 500 people online. Seems like in a couple weeks it could be hard to find a game

Klocker

rinker said:
Can anyone give me an idea of how many players are on XBL during decent hours?

I got it for ps3 and its pretty disappointing that on a holiday weekend at night there's only 500 people online. Seems like in a couple weeks it could be hard to find a game

there were between 2200 and 2800 today

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I absolutely love this game. I'm still annoyed by the slight performance hitching on the PC (so close to being flawless that it has me dying for a patch), but it's a blast.

mescalineeyes said:
I love Blur a whole lot, but at the end of the day, a GTA4/RDR it is not, when it comes to complexity, so give R* a break.
They didn't exactly play to the strengths of the PS3 hardware, though. From what I gather, they basically shoe horned a 360 game onto PS3 (relying heavily on the GPU instead of offloading to the SPUs). Could have made a big difference.

This is an incredible game. Every bad review I've read just stinks of not enough time being spent playing the game online, but I sort of blame Activision for that. They only sent out retail copies to press, which kinda makes sense since you have to play this game online, which usually is quite difficult with review code, but since most outlets wanted to have their review out for the launch day, nobody really had enough time to level up and see how incredible the game is once you make some headway in the online career... of course I'm biased, I'm totally hooked on this game, it's like Modern Warfare on wheels.

Most games get reviewed based on the single player.

I have to admit that I think the single player of Blur sucks and is no fun at all. Not because of the AI but because it is so repetitive. Where is the fun in racing the events over and over again to be able to race against the rivals?

The multiplayer on the other hand is probably the best I've played in this genre. Ever. It's as much fun as it can get. It's motivating and all the people I raced with were pretty cool. No angry children screaming, no angry trash talk... Blur seems to be the kind of game where the people just have fun and laugh. Even when you are not winning you are actually winning and unlocking things.

10/10 for the multiplayer. I'm addicted to the game.

Ok the compression quality could be better...

14l0s9z.jpg

fbx953.jpg

2eoxu2t.jpg

Psykotik

is the blur website working for any of you guys?

been trying to do the account linking thing but it wont accept my user login.

Fortinbras said:
Most games get reviewed based on the single player.

I have to admit that I think the single player of Blur sucks and is no fun at all. Not because of the AI but because it is so repetitive. Where is the fun in racing the events over and over again to be able to race against the rivals?

The multiplayer on the other hand is probably the best I've played in this genre. Ever. It's as much fun as it can get. It's motivating and all the people I raced with were pretty cool. No angry children screaming, no angry trash talk... Blur seems to be the kind of game where the people just have fun and laugh. Even when you are not winning you are actually winning and unlocking things.

10/10 for the multiplayer. I'm addicted to the game.

Agreed on MP, kinda disagree about the single player. It does get tough fast, which is Bizarre's achilles heel, but the Friend Challenges really make the single player more fun...I think the friend challenge idea is superb. The single player is doable, I think I've done 5 of the "bosses" and it was very tough to achieve everything required to unlock them, but you can really get better with practice. The AI is really solid and seems more fair than racing online with other people :p I think the excellent track design makes the single player less boring really, even though you have to redo a lot of the races to get the required Lights, Fan Demands etc. It's good practice for online and I can see myself taking a long time completing the single player career by just racing every now and then. But yeah, could have been better for sure.

rinker said:

I suspect people are just caught between ModNation Racers and Split Second at the moment. The PS3 Blur crowd should grow. My copy is still not in my mailbox, but it'll grow by one when it arrives!

rinker said:

Single player leaderboards have over 15,000 people on it. I suspect people are messing around in single player to get a handle on it before diving in. This game will have legs I imagine, due to the depth.

Not everyone busy the game the day it comes out, or immediately launches into online gameplay...hopefully in the next few weeks as word spreads just how good the game is online, more people will flock to it.

DarkJC

I gave this game a rent and played split screen with two other friends last night, and I'm not getting the hype. It seems like one mistake will ruin your whole race, making it really tough to catch up to anyone in the lead. We found ourselves wishing Split Second had 3 player split screen instead.

I've still got a whole week with the rental so I plan on playing through more Single Player and maybe going on Live, but I don't have much motivation to at the moment.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
RiotPelaaja said:
Not everyone busy the game the day it comes out, or immediately launches into online gameplay...hopefully in the next few weeks as word spreads just how good the game is online, more people will flock to it.
You would be surprised how quickly people move on.

xRosvall

Neo Member
Is anyone having problems connecting to the servers on playstation 3? It says that I can't connect or something like that, I tried playing other games online and it worked fine. Also restarted the router and that only worked one time. Do you have to connect to the blur servers when you play on Xbox Live? Might trade this in for the xbox version.

The 360 version connects after you press start and load your game in the main menu. The game also loads the playlists when entering the multiplayer. I haven't experienced any problems with the online modes, no disconnects, freezes or anything like that.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
hugejeans said:
Playing on the ps3 add me for some blur races.

Yuujiin

also can set some single player challenges
Can you add me so I can get those trophies? Send me a PM so I can give you my PSN ID.

I keep picking this one up and looking it over in the shops - but then I just can't get myself to pay $60 for a racing game these days. Even if it is really good.

I don't think it's been much of a success. At this point I should probably wait for the inevitable $40 price point by mid-end July.

Sysgen

DarkJC said:
I gave this game a rent and played split screen with two other friends last night, and I'm not getting the hype. It seems like one mistake will ruin your whole race, making it really tough to catch up to anyone in the lead. We found ourselves wishing Split Second had 3 player split screen instead.

I've still got a whole week with the rental so I plan on playing through more Single Player and maybe going on Live, but I don't have much motivation to at the moment.

3 people isn't enough. It sucks. I won't even race in rooms unless there is 5 and that's a stretch. Realistically you need at least 6 or 7 so even if the leader runs away you can still get a good fight for 2nd and 3rd, hell even a fight to avoid last. A room with 8-10 is glorious. Unfortunately due to the anemic number of people playing on the PC I haven't been in a room with more than 10. Thinking about double dipping on the 360 to get in rooms with 20 but then I have to pay for gold. The m/p is so good that I think gold would be worth it just to get in rooms with 20.

Let me elaborate more on why the more racers the better. If you fuck up you can still win, why? Because everyone is picking up shock power-ups dispersing shock fields on the leaders. Each power-up unleashes 3 fields. The is a mod that unleashes an extra one. Think now if 5 people unleash these. It slows the leaders significantly. Also the leaders are constantly battling it out slowing each other down. This what makes the game so great. You can easily go from near last in a lap and win.

JdFoX187

Banned
Played some of the single player races last night and I'm surprised how much of a challenge the game was giving me. I'm really impressed. Hope to hop on LIVE some time this afternoon and see how I fare on there.

luffeN

not many people playing the PC version :( and most of the 1 to level 10 drivers don't play in the driving school playlist but the next one, where even level 32 etc. can take part in.

Sysgen

banKai said:
not many people playing the PC version :( and most of the 1 to level 10 drivers don't play in the driving school playlist but the next one, where even level 32 etc. can take part in.

Level means a little bit I guess because of some of the advanced mods but my experience is that in larger rooms there's so much chaos the concept of level is greatly diminished. If you understand how to maximize and play your power-up hand then you can win despite a low level.

GHG

Gold Member
This game is certified crack. I totally lose track of time playing this online (PC version).

What are you guys' online usernames for the PC?

Sysgen

GHG said:
This game is certified crack. I totally lose track of time playing this online (PC version).

What are you guys' online user names for the PC?

I'm there but what I usually do, since this is the PC and you will always start with an empty friends list, is when I get into a room I just start adding people. Makes joining games easier because sometimes the server will just annoyingly create a room when you want to join an existing one.

Damn. I was trying to decide whether or not to get Alan Wake or Red Dead next weekend but after reading this thread... dunno guys... it sounds like both are the incorrect choice.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I'd go so far as to say whatever your question, Blur is the answer.

Particularly if the question is 'Does anyone know how good Tokyo lights look at 200mph?'

brandonh83 said:
Damn. I was trying to decide whether or not to get Alan Wake or Red Dead next weekend but after reading this thread... dunno guys... it sounds like both are the incorrect choice.

I have all three and right now Blur is my personal favorite.

The thing is, all three are phenomenal games. But RDR and Alan Wake are experiences that make it easy to segment your play. One mission, one episode, and then you can take a break. Blur just relentlessly compels you to keep playing. If you get a little too frustrated in Single Player, try a quick multi race and, whoosh, you could play for hours.

I mean, it's Wipeout + Project Gotham Racing, which makes it pretty much custom designed for me, so take that for what it's worth.

ascully

Been playing multiplayer all week just got to level 37, does anyone know what happens when you get to 50? Can you Prestige so to speak?

ascully said:
Been playing multiplayer all week just got to level 37, does anyone know what happens when you get to 50? Can you Prestige so to speak?
Yeah you can become a "Legend", look at the leaderboards and you can see the one for the people that are Legends already, some people have already double Legend'd from what I saw last week.

danmaku

GHG said:

What are you guys' online usernames for the PC?

username: danmaku

It's a shame there are so few players on PC, biggest room I've been were 10 people, and with a lot of lag (meaning that we were very far from each other). Hopefully, the online community will grow after the game is released on Steam, multiplayer is too damn good to let it go to waste!

Sysgen

ascully said:

The game has built in help which explains the basics including when you hit level 50. You decide if you want to become a legend which sets you back to level 1 and gives you a special bonus. You can do this multiple times.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The guys at Penny Arcade checked in on the game today -

Tycho said:
Alright, the joy portion of the presentation is over. I am as angry as I could possibly be at Blur, as a videogame, and at its black womb Bizarre Creations.

The last time I saw a product this unstable was with Rainbow Six: Raven Shield and Pandora Tomorrow - their server browsers (remember those?) would crash one-hundred percent of the time if populated with more than a certain number of hosts. Before that it was Tribes 2, a noble game, but delivered in such ruins that (as I have said) they once released a patch that removed the previous patch.

Once we'd obtained sufficient level to take part in Blur's Team Racing modes, things went desperately awry. Blur might crash three times in an hour, hard locks that necessitate manual shutdown. I have often said that, more often than not, fond wishes for improvement between the "beta" phase and the retail shelf are misspent. This isn't something that happens a statistically significant percentage of the time. This, however, is something new: a retail release that appends to its previously smooth contours row upon row of toxic barbs.

I've always felt like I understood something about Bizarre Creations games, that their thesis was one with which I was perhaps uniquely resonant: the joy of a perfect run, pegged somewhere between mastery and the Zen moment. There's definitely something to like about Blur, and we put up with it for a few nights. In an effort to wring some juice out of my purchase I plowed myself into the ordinary, reliable part of the game, the single player, finding it ordinary and reliable - something had happened. Some quality previously held by Blur had evaporated, and like Modern Warfare 2, the urge to continue moving my hands on the controller in the interim period between these betrayals was gone. I'm incredibly ashamed to have recommended it.

Planned on picking up the game soon, but now I think I'll wait until they iron out the kinks.

Klocker

Monroeski said:
The guys at Penny Arcade checked in on the game today -

ridonculous.

I have a had two lock ups and untold numbers of awesome gaming experiences with this game. Game is polished and deep.

I haven't played any Team Racing so I can't confirm or deny it. All I know is that SP progression is godly.

So I've got four paths open. #1, I've pretty much stormed through, #2, did okay, #3 is hard as balls and #4 I only did one to see the new track. (Have I mentioned how much I love the tracks in this game? I love the tracks in this game.)

So, what am I to do?

Well, Blur is you best pal when it comes to this. I've still got lights left to get in #1 so as I've been going after those, my Fan Increases have been gaining me better car unlocks that I can use in those later, tougher paths (#3 & #4).

AND, it's almost like #1 is a whole new path now. When you enter into a race where you've already got the Fan run and a 1st Place finish, playing to beat the Fan Requirement for its extra light gives you an entirely new approach to the track. You need acceleration to keep you from falling behind, you need grip to keep you from missing a good power up and/or subsequently wasting one. AND you still probably need to get that Fan Run for the 200 points.

Blur is certainly a game that borrows influences from many other serieses and yet it is in so many ways unique. I remember being very skeptical about the game when I first heard about it. I imagined weirdly midgetized and underpowered cars shooting stuff at each other. Instead it's like BC have taken the best of PGR, the best of Geometry Wars, and sprinkled a heavy dose of Wipeout over the mix.

I'll see what happens when the endorphins wear off, but this game looks like a shoe-in for winner of the Annual Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Memorial Award For General 'Really, BenjaminBirdie? That Game?' GOTY Excellence.

That PA rant was rather over dramatic. Apart from 2 crashes there's nothing wrong with the game. The progression is perfect, the way it keeps all players feeling involved (and accomplished) in both online and multi-player is too be commended and the visuals are gorgeous. I keep seeing neon lights when I shut my eyes.

Sysgen

Captain_Spanky said:
That PA rant was rather over dramatic. Apart from 2 crashes there's nothing wrong with the game. The progression is perfect, the way it keeps all players feeling involved (and accomplished) in both online and multi-player is too be commended and the visuals are gorgeous. I keep seeing neon lights when I shut my eyes.

Why doesn't he specify the platform he is having trouble with? Been playing PC hours upon hours since last Tuesday and not one lockup. Maybe it's his hardware. The "rant" is verb-ed extremely well only it's incomplete.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, should have just purchased this on 360. The PC version isn't cutting it.

Uneven performance and lack of online players really put a dent in it. I see a great game here, but I'm not able to properly get into it.

Klocker

this game should have 10k people online at any given moment... it's THAT good.

travesty if it doesn't have legs... it'd be almost as bad as Just Cause 2 not breaking 100k launch month in NA.

Truespeed

I'm really liking this game so far. Perhaps the biggest compliment I can give to this game, besides the incredible lighting and effects, is that it has that "just one more race" aura that just pulls you in and makes you want or progress more and more. This is definitely one of my favorite arcade racers, although I still prefer Burnout Paradise. Probably the only criticism I have is the inclusion of Danica Patrick's voice in the game.

Also, be sure to check out the credits. It's refreshing to see a credit screen done properly. The accompanying music is also well suited.

Top Bottom