• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

bedlamite

This game definitely needs more love, having this and Split Second come out at the same time probably confused some people and put them off a purchase. Which is a damn shame.

depward

bedlamite said:
This game definitely needs more love, having this and Split Second come out at the same time probably confused some people and put them off a purchase. Which is a damn shame.

Add ModNation to the mix, too. Don't see why publishers felt like they would all succeed putting out these arcade / kart racers all within a couple of weeks of one another. Just a very poor decision.

I'm interested but am still very much addicted to ModNation. I'll prob be joining the PS3 side of things in the next couple of weeks or so.

ZeoVGM

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I haven't played any Team Racing so I can't confirm or deny it. All I know is that SP progression is godly.

So I've got four paths open. #1, I've pretty much stormed through, #2, did okay, #3 is hard as balls and #4 I only did one to see the new track. (Have I mentioned how much I love the tracks in this game? I love the tracks in this game.)

So, what am I to do?

Well, Blur is you best pal when it comes to this. I've still got lights left to get in #1 so as I've been going after those, my Fan Increases have been gaining me better car unlocks that I can use in those later, tougher paths (#3 & #4).

AND, it's almost like #1 is a whole new path now. When you enter into a race where you've already got the Fan run and a 1st Place finish, playing to beat the Fan Requirement for its extra light gives you an entirely new approach to the track. You need acceleration to keep you from falling behind, you need grip to keep you from missing a good power up and/or subsequently wasting one. AND you still probably need to get that Fan Run for the 200 points.

Blur is certainly a game that borrows influences from many other serieses and yet it is in so many ways unique. I remember being very skeptical about the game when I first heard about it. I imagined weirdly midgetized and underpowered cars shooting stuff at each other. Instead it's like BC have taken the best of PGR, the best of Geometry Wars, and sprinkled a heavy dose of Wipeout over the mix.

I'll see what happens when the endorphins wear off, but this game looks like a shoe-in for winner of the Annual Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Memorial Award For General 'Really, BenjaminBirdie? That Game?' GOTY Excellence.

Birdie, sometimes you and I disagree.

Other times we don't. This is one of those times.

Blur = quickly turning into my favorite racer this gen. So if anyone wants to hook up online, my gamertag on 360 is 'vgm X'. The space is important in Xbox world, remember that.

OK. I must be doing something wrong, because I can't for the love of god connect to any multiplayer matches. 600+ people in extreme powered up racing? WHY IN GODS NAME AM I IN A ROOM BY MYSELF?

On the PA's post, their reception of the game on Friday was much much better:

Blur is marvelous, even though these might as well be real power-ups.

IGN delivered as much savagery as the game is likely to receive in review form, and if absolute dominion over your opponents is the only way you're able to experience pleasure, you might find yourself writing a similar piece. People play games for different reasons - this is part of the reason we have done this strip. Can you come to terms with bullshit? How about luck? Do you recognize it as a distinct form of energy that sometimes informs events? Can you accept that every Goddamned day isn't Christmas? Among other things, this means that you are an adult. As a corollary, you might find Blur very difficult to put down.

A very long, very complete public beta means that players on the 360 are already deeply familiar with the game - we had to educate Erika on its manifold virtues, as she generally gets down on the PS3. If you like Mario Kart, but don't like Blue Shells; if you like racing games, but wish that the cars would occasionally explode, then boy do I have a multiplayer product for you.

When I started playing during the beta, I liked Shunts as a pick-up: fire and forget balls of seeking plasma that let me focus on the driving task. The longer I've played, though, the more I've been drawn to Bolts - trios of jolting darts with tremendous effective range that do serious damage to an opponent's line. Based on where I am in the standings, or how vindictive I'm feeling, I might choose one over the other. And you get to choose, because they aren't random pickups. Every lap is an exercise in strategic dynamism.

The races we're in often break into "cliques," warring strata unique to your segment of the pack, and just beating the person in front of you at that moment is a worthy task. The only real loser in a round of Blur is the person in last place, because so much can happen (particularly in a 20 person game) that you can't actually control all of it, and also, there's another race in like fifty seconds. Plus, everything you do is ticking up your progression, which gives you more cars, "mods," and gametypes. So maybe it's okay if you don't win?

Blur, from Bizarre Creations: the first post-modern racer.

Our experience online with the game has been that concurrency is much lower, on average, than it was during the beta. On the one hand, obviously - the beta didn't cost anything. But I hope that number is being misreported, somehow, that users are trickling out of this accounting, because I intend to play this game for a good long while and I need prey.

And I can see the hate, frankly, any game that is so reliant on the experience being online, and having online at any unstable rate, is unacceptable.

ZeoVGM

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
On the PA's post, their reception of the game on Friday was much much better:

And I can see the hate, frankly, any game that is so reliant on the experience being online, and having online at any unstable rate, is unacceptable.

But most people aren't having these issues so...

omg rite said:
But most people aren't having these issues so...
...I get to get my money back? It'd be nice to get some better troubleshooting other than just sitting in an empty room by myself. (On 360).

Quickly scanning the Bizarre forums: Any of you in canada? The two major things that struck me was a) number of PC NAT issues, and b) number of issue claims similar to mines, in Canada...

So I have both a 360 and PS3.

I'm interested in picking this game up and have no preference as to what system to get it for.

Is there any difference between the two? Most important to me I guess would an active/populated online community to play against. How many of the races do actually fill up to 20/20?

Klocker

AlphaTwo00 said:
Quickly scanning the Bizarre forums: Any of you in canada? The two major things that struck me was a) number of PC NAT issues, and b) number of issue claims similar to mines, in Canada...

speaking of which, look into the deep blur options menus and you will find the description of your current NAT state.

In Europe atleast, several players, myself included, are suffering from the PS3 version freezing online constantly, it's not isolated either. Bizarre are aware of this problem and trying to come up with a solution. Despite my game freezing, I put in about 17 hours online alread, game's that good!

SumGamer

RiotPelaaja said:
In Europe atleast, several players, myself included, are suffering from the PS3 version freezing online constantly, it's not isolated either. Bizarre are aware of this problem and trying to come up with a solution. Despite my game freezing, I put in about 17 hours online alread, game's that good!

Mine never freeze but I seems to have a lot of trouble getting disconnected when the thing is migrating host. This happen so many time in MW2 as well. Really have no idea why.

OJdaKiller said:

I'm interested in picking this game up and have no preference as to what system to get it for.

Is there any difference between the two? Most important to me I guess would an active/populated online community to play against. How many of the races do actually fill up to 20/20?

I think online play is max at 10 players. Maybe because I'm still early in the MP though. #PS3

OJdaKiller said:

The technical differences:

Anti-Aliasing
360 - 4xMSAA, PS3 - 2xMSAA
Sound:
360 - DD5.1, PS3 - all sound formats the console has to offer including 7.1 LPCM
Both games maintain a near identical performance.

Source: digitalfoundry

Regarding online play all I can say is that people who bought the PS3 version complain about several problems like freezing. I've read comments like this on several German forums.

I bought the 360 version (after playing the Beta) and when I play online there are about 2500-3000 other players online.

When playing online there are enough 20 player races, of course you have people drop out in the middle of a race or after returning to the lobby. I'd say the average is 17 to 18 players.

If the number is to low you can always leave the lobby and connect to another one. A very enjoyable online gaming experience thus far.

Regarding multiplayer playlists:

There's a playlist for beginners (max level 10), there are races for 10 players, 20 players as well as team races for 20 players. There are hardcore races where power ups are turned off. Blur also offers a mixture of Mario Kart battles and destruction derby events which can also be played in teams. There's a world tour with random settings. I don't know if there are more playlists, I'm at level 29 at the moment.

Fortinbras said:
The technical differences:

Anti-Aliasing
360 - 4xMSAA, PS3 - 2xMSAA
Sound:
360 - DD5.1, PS3 - all sound formats the console has to offer including 7.1 LPCM
Both games maintain a near identical performance.

Source: digitalfoundry

Regarding online play all I can say is that people who bought the PS3 version complain about several problems like freezing. I've read comments like this on several German forums.

I bought the 360 version (after playing the Beta) and when I play online there are about 2500-3000 other players online.

When playing online there are enough 20 player races, of course you have people drop out in the middle of a race or after returning to the lobby. I'd say the average is 17 to 18 players.

If the number is to low you can always leave the lobby and connect to another one. A very enjoyable online gaming experience thus far.

TYVM...Looks like I'll be getting it for the 360.....And will be getting called a fucking bitch by some 11 yo...Guess those are the breaks to play an awesome online racer.

OJdaKiller said:
TYVM...Looks like I'll be getting it for the 360.....And will be getting called a fucking bitch by some 11 yo...Guess those are the breaks to play an awesome online racer.

I never had to mute any other players. There was some friendly trash talk and lots of laughing but I don't know if it wasn't just luck. I've played about 10 hours online.

As I said earlier in this thread: Even when not winning the player ist actually winning and unlocking stuff all the time. That's the great thing about the multiplayer.

Fortinbras said:
I never had to mute any other players. There was some friendly trash talk and lots of laughing but I don't know if it wasn't just luck. I've played about 10 hours online.

As I said earlier in this thread: Even when not winning the player ist actually winning and unlocking stuff all the time. That's the great thing about the multiplayer.

Guess another dumb question from someone that doesn't own it yet.....Do I need to play the single player to unlock anything before going online, or can I just go online right away and have the same cars/options available to me that other people have?

RedStep

OJdaKiller said:
Guess another dumb question from someone that doesn't own it yet.....Do I need to play the single player to unlock anything before going online, or can I just go online right away and have the same cars/options available to me that other people have?

Progression between the two is not linked (except achievements); that said, you still have to rank up in MP to unlock cars for MP. They will still be beating you, but the difference is not drastic like Split/Second. You can still fire shit at them.

danmaku

End credits song is a remix of "The Ecstasy of Gold" by Morricone, no wonder it sounds like Red Dead soundtrack :lol

Schlocky

hello GAF!

super long time lurker here forced out of anonymity by Blur being the greatest racer I've played probably since PGR2, and yet no one else is playing it. 3,000 dudes online? I mean really? And i want to do this friend challenges and whatever, but my friends suck.

so yeah, my gamertag is Schlocky, playing on 360, add me! if your gt is in this thread i will probably add you anyway. cheers.

Talamius

So far, I'm really enjoying the PC version. I do like that the cars are not completely imbalanced (I was able to beat rank 30+ guys with rank 8 cars). The game has hit a good balance between skill and power-ups to keep races somewhat close.

Blur username is Talamius.

I am trying to beat the last boss or race "Show Down". I have done everything else except for "Stay 120 MPH for an entire lap" challenge. What is the best race or track to do this?

I tried quite a few times last night but every race out of the last boss's six seem to be having like 90 degree turns or U turns which makes the 120 MPH challenge quite hard.

Any suggestions for this? I am talking about single player by the way, for those of you who are just playing online.

AlphaTwo00 said:

The single and local multiplayer are just as enjoyable as the online, imo. Easily one of the most complete packages I've seen in a game in a long time.

Klocker said:
speaking of which, look into the deep blur options menus and you will find the description of your current NAT state.
Open NAT. I've made sure this isn't an issue, and I don't have any similar problem with ANY other games.

Captain_Spanky said:
The single and local multiplayer are just as enjoyable as the online, imo. Easily one of the most complete packages I've seen in a game in a long time.
Oh it definitely is. But given how much was talked about online, I do wish I get to see more of it.

U2NUMB

OJdaKiller said:

There is a very quick mute option in the lobby. Highlight the player.. hit A and then scroll a couple lines down to Mute. But overall the game is full of people without mics or just quiet / mature in general.

I never have any problems finding games on the 360 although the team playlists are often dead the 4-20 playlist is packed.

RedStep

sweetvar26 said:
I am trying to beat the last boss or race "Show Down". I have done everything else except for "Stay 120 MPH for an entire lap" challenge. What is the best race or track to do this?

I tried quite a few times last night but every race out of the last boss's six seem to be having like 90 degree turns or U turns which makes the 120 MPH challenge quite hard.

Any suggestions for this? I am talking about single player by the way, for those of you who are just playing online.

I did it on the third or fourth one - I believe it is SF. It is in an open area with lots of hills and the jumps over the little dips. It doesn't have to be from starting line to finish - I got it in the middle of the lap.

Yikes, not sure if this has been posted, but seems the Penny Arcade guys are not a fan of the game anymore:

"Alright, the joy portion of the presentation is over. I am as angry as I could possibly be at Blur, as a videogame, and at its black womb Bizarre Creations."

" I'm incredibly ashamed to have recommended it."

And this is in there post about Split/Second, they seem to have switched teams.

Here's the whole thing:

Split/Second - I will honor them by maintaining the slash - is an incredibly solid product. You can play the demo as many times as I did, which (between you and me) could well be described as a fuck-ton, and emerge from it with a sense that you have a firm handle on its bombast and can therefore skip the final release. It will be more of this, you might say to yourself. You'd be wrong; I certainly was.

Would you be surprised to learn that the demo map might be the least ridiculous one on offer? Or that its got alternate gameplay modes that split the difference between balls-out racing and bullet-hell shmups? They maintain that demo polish throughout the experience with frankly amazing UI work, amazing car design, and everything refined down into an infinitely suckable lozenge.

Alright, the joy portion of the presentation is over. I am as angry as I could possibly be at Blur, as a videogame, and at its black womb Bizarre Creations.

The last time I saw a product this unstable was with Rainbow Six: Raven Shield and Pandora Tomorrow - their server browsers (remember those?) would crash one-hundred percent of the time if populated with more than a certain number of hosts. Before that it was Tribes 2, a noble game, but delivered in such ruins that (as I have said) they once released a patch that removed the previous patch.

Once we'd obtained sufficient level to take part in Blur's Team Racing modes, things went desperately awry. Blur might crash three times in an hour, hard locks that necessitate manual shutdown. I have often said that, more often than not, fond wishes for improvement between the "beta" phase and the retail shelf are misspent. This isn't something that happens a statistically significant percentage of the time. This, however, is something new: a retail release that appends to its previously smooth contours row upon row of toxic barbs.

I've always felt like I understood something about Bizarre Creations games, that their thesis was one with which I was perhaps uniquely resonant: the joy of a perfect run, pegged somewhere between mastery and the Zen moment. There's definitely something to like about Blur, and we put up with it for a few nights. In an effort to wring some juice out of my purchase I plowed myself into the ordinary, reliable part of the game, the single player, finding it ordinary and reliable - something had happened. Some quality previously held by Blur had evaporated, and like Modern Warfare 2, the urge to continue moving my hands on the controller in the interim period between these betrayals was gone. I'm incredibly ashamed to have recommended it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
mescalineeyes said:
what the what?
even the beta was rock-solid, is he playing it on PC?

Sysgen said:
Why doesn't he specify the platform he is having trouble with? Been playing PC hours upon hours since last Tuesday and not one lockup. Maybe it's his hardware. The "rant" is verb-ed extremely well only it's incomplete.

He plays on 360.

TSAGoodness said:

Yeah it was discussed a few posts above yours. It's a shame they're frustrated with the online, but the local multiplayer and singleplayer are just as big draws to the game and to dismiss it because of a few problems online seems a shame. Seems a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Man, different experiences. The online for me (360) has been incredibly stable, lag-free, and a generally great experience (aside from the fact that in 60+ races, Ive finished 1st once, but the punching bag award like 50 times, and no, Im not trying to get hit. :lol )

I'm playing on 360 too. No freezes, no disconnects, 99% of the time lag-free. Almost perfect.

Blur seems to bomb though which is a shame. I'm not surprised, the game is expensive compared to most other games here in Europe (60 to 65 Euros in Germany for example), it's a new IP, two similiar games were released in the same time frame...

Sysgen

Fortinbras said:

Been on this forum topic since I bought the game and the amount of people complaining about any version is minimal. In this context his rant and his dismissal of the game seem ... as someone said here; "overly dramatic".

Now funny enough since I've read "the rant" I've had one lockup on the PC. Since it's peer to peer it got me thinking what happens when the host disconnects during a race? Is this the reason for the game hanging? In Halo or COD I guess the gameplay stops while the host migrates? In Blur during the lobby you will see a host migration message. In an actual race with all that goes on in the game (more than just cars on a track) is host migration even feasible?

Klocker

yea that rant is laughable ... this game has great netcode IMO... finds games fast from a relatively small pool, has deep options including some search options (including region) and host migration.

Really wish my friends list had people playing this as the Custom game options go on and on and on... the amount of custom settings are formidable. Also the friends challenge option looks way cool!

GT Klocker (note- I play with headphones so can hear friends but not speak)

Fortinbras said:
Blur seems to bomb though which is a shame.

Dunno why people are saying this. I'm seeing a fair number of people on the leaderboards, and HMV had a wicked promotion here. The Game/Activision thing will hurt initially but I see this being quite a strong word of mouth game anyway. The social integration makes it stick out as well, the facebook/twitter notes get the name out there, cause discussion etc. I think it'll do just fine.

As an edit: Everyone needs to try out the friend challenges. This adds a whole new level to the single player. It's almost like a personalised time trial mode. Each level has a basic challenge (e.g. lights and completion time) but you can then add you own wrinkles (fan score, number of nitro boosts etc) to personalise it. The person you send it to has to use your exact setup too - difficulty as well as car. When your friend tries it there's an on screen scorecard so they see how close they are to each of these mini-challenges, and at the end it tells you how many attempts you've had to beat the overall event your friend sent. A fucking great online feature for people who can't play online, imo.

I never played the game.
My buddy has it.
I hate Blur!

iIcfW.jpg

:lol

This is not social at all!

see5harp

TheApatheticOne said:
Man, different experiences. The online for me (360) has been incredibly stable, lag-free, and a generally great experience (aside from the fact that in 60+ races, Ive finished 1st once, but the punching bag award like 50 times, and no, Im not trying to get hit. :lol )

Same here. I've won a single race in about 10 attempts, but have loved every minute of it (aside from going from 1st to last place in the last 30 seconds of a race). The netcode seems to be better than GT5pro (much better in this case) and Forza 3, which says a lot, considering those are the 2 AAA exclusives on each platform. I think people think it's "bombing" because the multiplayer is so detailed and well thought out.

It just makes me wonder whats up with the PA guys set-up. I mean, I dont doubt that they are having trouble with it and have their reasons for turning on it, but Ive played every single day for at least 15 minutes since release, and have yet to have even one tiny hiccup, much less enough trouble to throw it under the bus.

And yes, despite a record that mirrors the Detroit Lions, Im still having a blast the entire time Ive played it, cursing and all! :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
sweetvar26 said:

I'm having the same problem. It seems like the first race is probably the best chance. With some creative nitro use I guess.

Single player mode is already boring after first few levels compare to Split/Second but damm the multiplayer is just awesome. I can't stop playing even when I am not winning.

As for PA guy rants, if he mean the Team Racing (which I think is awesome mode) then yeah, it freeze up a few times for me. The regular race I don't have any problem with. Team Racing is really fun though and I wish more people would play it.

Anyway I am on 360, my tag is AntiqueGamer

If you looking for someone to add for Rival or what have feel free. I would love more people on it as there are only 3 people on my friend list that play this game.

Wasn't a huge fan of the Multiplayer Beta, maybe because of the lag, but is the Single Player good?

I have PGR4 and love it, and the concept behind this looked cool.

I also love Bizarres technical prowess. Their games just generally look stunning.

Wondering if I should get this now, or hold off for a price drop.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Wasn't a huge fan of the Multiplayer Beta, maybe because of the lag, but is the Single Player good?

I have PGR4 and love it, and the concept behind this looked cool.

I also love Bizarres technical prowess. Their games just generally look stunning.

Wondering if I should get this now, or hold off for a price drop.

Read the thread ya lazy bugger :p. Seriously though - the single player is fantastic. Great carrot on a stick approach, great social integration and great customisable challenges to send to your friends. You're constantly getting cool new stuff to unlock, new levels, new awards and new "quirks" in the gameplay. BUY IT NAO

antiquegamer said:
Single player mode is already boring after first few levels compare to Split/Second but damm the multiplayer is just awesome. I can't stop playing even when I am not winning.

As for PA guy rants, if he mean the Team Racing (which I think is awesome mode) then yeah, it freeze up a few times for me. The regular race I don't have any problem with. Team Racing is really fun though and I wish more people would play it.

Anyway I am on 360, my tag is AntiqueGamer

If you looking for someone to add for Rival or what have feel free. I would love more people on it as there are only 3 people on my friend list that play this game.
What are you finding boring? I'm well through the first two paths and just starting on 3 and 4. I still love it. Even to the point that I love going back and getting missed lights.

What do I have to look forward to that's going to drag it down? (And how does S/S avoid it? I'm thinking about picking that up too.)

Captain_Spanky said:
Read the thread ya lazy bugger :p. Seriously though - the single player is fantastic. Great carrot on a stick approach, great social integration and great customisable challenges to send to your friends. You're constantly getting cool new stuff to unlock, new levels, new awards and new "quirks" in the gameplay. BUY IT NAO

Cool, sounds alright.

I think I might wait for the price drop. Still cranking through Alan Wake, while going through a masive backlog, and I have Crackdown 2 and Galaxy 2 to come.

This game is amazing. I have always been a huge fan of Bizarre and I really hope this game sells well. They deserve it.

Please support this game bizarre! You guys did a fantastic job!

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Cool, sounds alright.

I think I might wait for the price drop. Still cranking through Alan Wake, while going through a masive backlog, and I have Crackdown 2 and Galaxy 2 to come.

Fair dos, I probably would have waited but it came with 800 microsoft points/ The Italian Job on blu-ray free if bought last weekend.

BenjaminBirdie said:
What are you finding boring? I'm well through the first two paths and just starting on 3 and 4. I still love it. Even to the point that I love going back and getting missed lights.

What do I have to look forward to that's going to drag it down? (And how does S/S avoid it? I'm thinking about picking that up too.)

It's the same set up for all the levels, only thing change is the track setting. I do enjoy going back and get all the lights but after a few round, I would just rather play multi-player.

As for S/S, it is the same trapping as Blur but what it has going is that the track change drasticly. It does get repetitive just as Blur but it took a bit longer as you are looking forward to the next crazy track and route change. On-line is not that great on S/S (horrible set up) and once you are done with single player it does not have the longetivity of Blur (that if Blur community hold out like Burnout did).

If I have to pick between the two (and mind you while they are both cars game, they are very differences), I would take Blur. Blur just has more going for it even if the single player get repetitious the multiplayer part just make up for it. Yesterday my in-law came for visit and we just play Blur split screens for hours and have tons of fun. S/S on the other hand, he have to learn the course and the various Power Play triggers and it just wasn't as fun for that pick-up and play. To me S/S is more like Stuntman Ignition where you need precision and need more leaning the courses than just pure car battle like Blur.

see5harp

Really starting to get the hang of the game. It is tough in the same way Project Gotham Racing 2 was tough on XBOX. You're not going to get golds on the first try, especially on the latter checkpoint stages...but that's the point. The game gets it's hooks into you, and you cannot stop playing. The Friend Challenges are a brilliant addition and really add length to the single player, which so far seems pretty short compared to the marathon sessions that were required in PGR2. Hitting a perfect drift while nitroing around a corner while grabbing 3 time bonuses on a dirt track feels really good.

Top Bottom