• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

Pimpbaa

From the screenshots and videos, Blur looks like a better game. Plus I hate that vignetting effect that too many put in their games.

Sysgen

When you log into the game you'll be asked to create an account. Only problem with the PC version is I don't I have my 360 friends list largely comprised of people who like racers so I need some peeps on this new Blur friends list so add me if you have the PC version. My Blur User Name is Sysgen.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Sysgen said:
When you log into the game you'll be asked to create an account. Only problem with the PC version is I don't I have my 360 friends list largely comprised of people who like racers so I need some peeps on this new Blur friends list so add me if you have the PC version. My Blur User Name is Sysgen.
So, are they using Steam? Windows Live? Something else?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
DId they fix the matchmaking from the Beta?

The Beta had a habit of dumping me in to rooms on my own, or in to rooms with like 3 other people, instead of trying to fill up a 20 man game.

panda21

this looks really good but presumably on the PC the modern wharfare style levelling will just make people cheat like crazy. cheats in MP are the only downside of PC gaming :(

Sysgen

Interspersed between events there are tutorials. Based on the last one I watched it seems that the game is deeper than I had thought. Some of the power-ups can be used defensively as well. Not just the shield for instance but I can fire back a mine to counter a shunt as an example. Additionally some of the powerups can be used to assist cornering or drifting. Seems very well thought out. Running a good racing line might be the difference between victory and defeat.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As a HUGE Bizarre fan, I really, really want this game, but unfortunately I'm a bit overbudget at the moment :(

So, is there an official car list anywhere yet? With pictures of modded versions even perhaps? At the end of the day, I'm a sucker for the cars.

Dandy J

Just played for about 3 hours on PC...this game is so sick even though there aren't many people playing online right now. I really like the soundtrack, I've been using the licensed one.

My name on the PC version is 'Dandy_J' if anyone wants to add me.

ZeoVGM

Banned
panda21 said:
this looks really good but presumably on the PC the modern wharfare style levelling will just make people cheat like crazy. cheats in MP are the only downside of PC gaming :(

I can't tell you how rewarding and addicting it is though. The 360 beta only allowed people to get up to level 15 but even when I reached that I kept playing.

I won't be able to get this until Friday so it's Split/Second until then. But honestly, as far as multiplayer goes, the Blur beta alone was better than S/S.

Spooka

Sysgen said:
Interspersed between events there are tutorials. Based on the last one I watched it seems that the game is deeper than I had thought. Some of the power-ups can be used defensively as well. Not just the shield for instance but I can fire back a mine to counter a shunt as an example. Additionally some of the powerups can be used to assist cornering or drifting. Seems very well thought out. Running a good racing line might be the difference between victory and defeat.

Yeah, there is quite a bit of depth to the game. I played the hell out of the beta and for the first few days or so the game seemed somewhat random, I couldn't consistently win and it just seemed like luck whether I ended up at the front or back. But as I learned the game everything changed, and for the last 3 or 4 weeks of the beta I was getting either first or at least top 3 almost every race even in the 20 man races.

You have stick with it a bit for the depth to become apparent and I think that's why a lot of people play a few races and dismiss the game. Between the different uses of the power ups and the call of duty like perks(which it seems like no ever mentions) you have a fairly wide variety of tactical options. And you can alter your play style on the fly depending on what position in the race you are at. Like if you break away at the start you should probably be thinking defensively to try and maintain first (using/saving shields or health and keeping a shunt to fire backwards to block attacks) or if you are at the back it becomes about slowing down the front cars with lighting and inching you way forward through the offensive power ups. Your racing line changes based on where the power ups are, so in the back of the pack my line would focus on making sure if there is a lighting then I have to hit it.

Being able to hold the power ups is like having a little hand of 3 cards - so knowing when to play those cards, when to pick up new ones or discard old ones, and also being able to rapidly switch between them to use at the exact right moment is a huge part of the game. A lot of new players immediately just use a power up as soon as they get it instead of waiting for the right time.

So when you take into account all the different variables of the game - like the car's different attributes (speeds, health, grip, acceleration ), the perk system(of which you have three equipped at once), the tracks(with different routes containing different power ups), and then the power ups(most with different uses) - there is actually a lot of depth to the game. And seemingly from my experience there is some balance to it as well. I've been in 20th place during my second lap and still came back to win and also have lost a giant lead after being in first with both results being based entirely on how well I played.

A lot of this might be lost when playing single player and dealing with the AI for all I know, but for me the game is all about the mp with the sp stuff just being an added bonus.

Spooka said:
Yeah, there is quite a bit of depth to the game. I played the hell out of the beta and for the first few days or so the game seemed somewhat random, I couldn't consistently win and it just seemed like luck whether I ended up at the front or back. But as I learned the game everything changed, and for the last 3 or 4 weeks of the beta I was getting either first or at least top 3 almost every race even in the 20 man races.

You have stick with it a bit for the depth to become apparent and I think that's why a lot of people play a few races and dismiss the game. Between the different uses of the power ups and the call of duty like perks(which it seems like no ever mentions) you have a fairly wide variety of tactical options. And you can alter your play style on the fly depending on what position in the race you are at. Like if you break away at the start you should probably be thinking defensively to try and maintain first (using/saving shields or health and keeping a shunt to fire backwards to block attacks) or if you are at the back it becomes about slowing down the front cars with lighting and inching you way forward through the offensive power ups. Your racing line changes based on where the power ups are, so in the back of the pack my line would focus on making sure if there is a lighting then I have to hit it.

Being able to hold the power ups is like having a little hand of 3 cards - so knowing when to play those cards, when to pick up new ones or discard old ones, and also being able to rapidly switch between them to use at the exact right moment is a huge part of the game. A lot of new players immediately just use a power up as soon as they get it instead of waiting for the right time.

So when you take into account all the different variables of the game - like the car's different attributes (speeds, health, grip, acceleration ), the perk system(of which you have three equipped at once), the tracks(with different routes containing different power ups), and then the power ups(most with different uses) - there is actually a lot of depth to the game. And seemingly from my experience there is some balance to it as well. I've been in 20th place during my second lap and still came back to win and also have lost a giant lead after being in first with both results being based entirely on how well I played.

A lot of this might be lost when playing single player and dealing with the AI for all I know, but for me the game is all about the mp with the sp stuff just being an added bonus.

Brilliant post, this sums it up well, and it sucks that its lost on some gamers. Im so tempted to get this game, but as you said the depth may be lost on the AI, and I somehow doubt the game will have a large multiplayer fanbase 3 months from release. =(

I loved the beta, and am really temped to try it, but it really does seem like a multiplayer only game, I doubt the AI will be 'fun' opponents.

Everdred

Can anyone tell me what these are like on PC multiplayer?

Voice chat?
Keyboard chat?
Bizarre hosted servers?
Player hosted servers?

Joba62x

Neo Member
Match making seems a little better than the beta. Last night I never got dropped and today it only happen twice. I was never put into my own lobby, it always found a game and joined a game.

Dodging shunts is much more difficult in the final, a little juke at the right second used to do it but now its very hard unless drifting. The scrambler mod helps a little but having to watch for the color change can make me lose my line.

Is the combo system gone too? It seems to just add up my points instead of having the rotating combo meter like before.

mr stroke

Sysgen said:
Just ran my 1st checkpoint race and it was awesome. PGR / Burnout / Mario Kart all rolled into one.

Blur2010-05-2516-13-31-14.jpg

how is the PC performance?

Mr. Hyde

I've been playing multiplayer race events with two friends plus random people and wow. I haven't really played many racing games outside of mario kart and burnout, so I felt right at home with this one. It's so intense racing with people and I haven't experienced any lag on the PS3 version.

pakkit

Banned
This game looks way cooler than its silly commercial made it look. Plus Bizarre Creations has been a developer to look out for ever since their Dreamcast days.

Decado

Any news on the difference between PS3 and 360 versions?

If this is a good online game I'd prefer to get the PS3 version, but realistically I will probably only play single player and split screen, so whatever version looks/performs best is fine.

Bisonian

As of ~8:30pm there were 156 people on PSN.... hopefully people are playing a lot of singleplayer!

Amazingly fun game though both online and off... and holy crap is there a lot of bars to fill O_O

noisome07

Banned
Got the game through Gamefly today. Booted it up a little over an hour ago. Since then I've had a fucking blast. My older brother played the shit out of the demo and I picked it up since he was obviously going to. I've only played single player so far but damn, this shit is fun as hell!

my favorite type of race so far has been Checkpoint. Just did the Fan Favorite - LA Docks level. My god that shit was SO fucking fun. Didn't think I'd like this game so much.

Sysgen

mr stroke said:
how is the PC performance?

2AA/2AF almost 60 FPS on a 4890/920 @1680x1050. Played online for a few hours. Not too many people online, hope it does well. It's very good once you understand the mechanics.

Decado said:
Any news on the difference between PS3 and 360 versions?

If this is a good online game I'd prefer to get the PS3 version, but realistically I will probably only play single player and split screen, so whatever version looks/performs best is fine.

Apparently (and wonderful to hear) there is performance parity between the two console versions. Grabbing the PS3 version myself.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The above post hits a bit of what is compelling about the title. It was very chaotic for me at first. It doesn't feel like you have any control. Till you start to get a hang of everything. Then it starts to come into place. I think the single biggest thing for me was noticing that a drift can actually dodge the homing red ball. And you can execute at the drift at anytime. Suddenly those didn't become a problem anymore. And then you start to realize how to play. Bank of the corner on this turn, drift this one, slow down and line this one, save a nitro for one to quick start, etc. The gameplay depth suddenly clicks. It doesn't have the bullshit randomness that Mario Kart has. You can prepare for the race to fit the style needed, and you can actually see what you are going to get. While it's not just a pure racing game either like the others. It's a very slick combination of both.

My only complaint was the different between someone who gets it and someone who doesn't, the difference in time starts to become too apparent. If they get that big led, there really isn't much you can do then.

Everdred said:
Me too. Lack of Steamworks and GFWL makes me nervous.

Well its an arcade racer and the console versions are locked at 30fps, that pretty much makes the decision, surely? The console versions might as well be labelled as flat out broken, its a genre that just does not work at 30fps, it never has and never will, this point was established way back in 1993 ffs.

brain_stew said:
Well its an arcade racer and the console versions are locked at 30fps, that pretty much makes the decision, surely? The console versions might as well be labelled as flat out broken, its a genre that just does not work at 30fps, it never has and never will.

Curiously, what WAS the first arcade racer to feature 60fps?

noisome07

Banned
brain_stew said:
Well its an arcade racer and the console versions are locked at 30fps, that pretty much makes the decision, surely? The console versions might as well be labelled as flat out broken, its a genre that just does not work at 30fps, it never has and never will, this point was established way back in 1993 ffs.

lol.

domstah

brain_stew said:
What's the FPS on Super Mario Kart? ;p

Pylon_Trooper said:
Curiously, what WAS the first arcade racer to feature 60fps?

Well I'm only talking about 3D games ofcourse, and the standard was set with the first proper game in the genre, Daytona USA, way back in 1993. 30fps was established as being insufficient for the genre back then and nothing has changed that fact. Matching the standards of 1993 shouldn't be too hard, we've had 17 years to catch up.

I've played countless attempts that try and prove this fundamental point wrong and all have failed miserably. No more so than Split/Second, what an embarrassment that was.

noisome07 said:
damn, i must love fun, flat out (pun intended?) broken games then.

Indeed. Its not some great unknown or controversial point, like I say its something that's been established as the accepted norm in the genre for nigh on 2 decades. You wouldn't play a 3D fighter that was 30fps, nor should you play an arcade racer that is either. I'm not much of a framerate whore but for some genres its an absolutely crucial part of their makeup, a point that can never be compromised without fundamentally altering the game for the worse.

brain_stew said:
Well I'm only talking about 3D games ofcourse, and the standard was set with the first proper game in the genre, Daytona USA, way back in 1993. 30fps was established as being insufficient for the genre back then and nothing has changed that fact. Matching the standards of 1993 shouldn't be too hard, we've had 17 years to catch up.

I've played countless attempts that try and prove this fundamental point wrong and all have failed miserably. No more so than Split/Second, what an embarrassment that was.

Ah, interesting. I had a suspicion it was Daytona. Admittedly though, I've loved a lot of arcade racers over the years and most haven't been 60fps. As long as there isn't framerate hitches, I'm good to go. I wish I could be picky about these things, but I couldn't deny myself the fun of the genre.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Ah, interesting. I had a suspicion it was Daytona. Admittedly though, I've loved a lot of arcade racers over the years and most haven't been 60fps. As long as there isn't framerate hitches, I'm good to go. I wish I could be picky about these things, but I couldn't deny myself the fun of the genre.

There's very few arcade racers worth playing that don't have an accessible 60fps version these days. I might require buying a PC and using emulation for older titles but that's just a price you've got to pay.

noisome07

Banned
brain_stew said:
Indeed. Its not some great unknown or controversial point, like I say its something that's been established as the accepted norm in the genre for nigh on 2 decades. You wouldn't play a 3D fighter that was 30fps, nor should you play an arcade racer that is either. I'm not much of a framerate whore but for some genres its an absolutely crucial part of their makeup, a point that can never be compromised without fundamentally altering the game for the worse.

eh, if everyone but you is finding the game fun then yea. im sure it must be CRUCIAL for the game NOT to be 60FPS.

Jimrpg

just watched gametrailers review and im totally converted - it looks really fun... (also looks frustrating as well) but what the hell... ill be getting it when there's a special!

Top Bottom