• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

Odrion said:
The IGN 7.0 is a bummer. Although the reviewer did focus a little too much on singleplayer, only dedicating a short paragraph to the multiplayer "The 20 man races are too chaotic, but the other modes are fine!" Felt like he missed the point of the game.

The Giantbomb review seems a little better, but Ryan said he only spent six hours in multiplayer and didn't finish the single player. :|

And the lack of players online is even more concerning. That's pretty much what's going to make or break the game. If the online community in that dies early, it's pretty much a useless.

Man, I'm sorry but I can't take press seriously that doesn't give the majority stake (IE the multiplayer) the attention is deserves. I don't give a shit if it's early press copies and there's no online community yet. Then fucking review the game down the road and quit short changing it because you wanna be one of the first one's out the gate with your metacritic entry

Lost Planet 2 is another title that's a victim of this. It's online is fantastic, but the majority of the press seemingly focused on the SP, which is like focusing on Left 4 Dead's single-player...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Odrion said:
The IGN 7.0 is a bummer. Although the reviewer did focus a little too much on singleplayer, only dedicating a short paragraph to the multiplayer "The 20 man races are too chaotic, but the other modes are fine!" Felt like he missed the point of the game.

The Giantbomb review seems a little better, but Ryan said he only spent six hours in multiplayer and didn't finish the single player. :|

And the lack of players online is even more concerning. That's pretty much what's going to make or break the game. If the online community in that dies early, it's pretty much a useless.

The 20 man races are too chaotic? WTF? They're SO MUCH FUN.

The IGN review is awful.

Odrion

Banned
I understand that you should count the singleplayer of a game as a part of the whole package, but still... Bad Company 2's single player was pretty mediocre but that didn't stop the press from fawning over it, and you certainly didn't see people it reviewing as a single player game first.

In the Blur beta it took forever to find players when there were only 1,500 or so in a single mode. Is it like that in retail?

Nabs

yikes, that ign review was terrible.

Phloxy said:
Well, Pc version I'd advise against, just got into a room with 11 level 50 players, fucking pc gamers an their damn cheats.

that sucks, but i don't plan on playing with randoms anyway.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone can answer a couple question regarding the PC version:

1)Is it compatible with a steering wheel? If so, which ones?

2)Does the game support force feedback on PC? If yes, how is the force feedback effect? And can they be adjusted?

3)Does the game support multiple PC USB controllers simultaneously? For example, can I have my USB FFB wheel, a set of USB pedals and my USB gear shifter plugged into my PC and use them all at once?

Thanks in advance :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
dark10x said:
Eh, the hitches were cleaned up a bit with a reboot, but it doesn't feel solid at all. Nowhere near as smooth as the Codemasters games. Ah well. It's mostly 60 fps, but there are a lot of random drops.

At this rate, I would have been better off with the console version. I'd rather have a rock solid 30 fps than a variable framerate. I'm running an i7 930 + 5870. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't get this game to perform perfectly on such specs.

Oh PC gaming. :(

You are....scaring me :( :( :(

Dammit, back into 'reconsideration mode' :(

Spookie

BOOM! Not only did it arrive silly early breaking the release date by 2 days but...

Blur-2.jpg

I got a copy free?!

FuKuy said:
Graphic comparison: PC vs PS3 vs Xbox 360

http://www.pcgames.de/Blur-PC-23193...s-Xbox-360-und-PS3-748799/galerie/1293704/#tp

The console versions look pretty bad against the PC. Probably they are sub-HD...

what a fucking TERRIBLE comparison, PC Games (the magazine, not PC games) can go to hell.

but yeah, no AA on ps3 is painfully apparent now.

also, these screenshots are blown up to 2560, which is twice the presumed native resolution of the game, what sort of dumbass is going to draw a "sub-HD" conclusion from that? shame on you, sir.

mescalineeyes said:
what a fucking TERRIBLE comparison, PC Games can go to hell.

also, these screenshots are blown up to 2560, which is twice the presumed native resolution of the game, what sort of dumbass is going to draw a "sub-HD" conclusion from that? shame on you, sir.
Even if the model's geometry detail was identical across platforms, the texture detail lacking on consoles is obvious in those screenshots, by any standards. This is even without considering aliasing, just texture quality, who knows what else is gimped. Not to start a console vs pc thing, just stating what i see.

I need to see some performance benchmarks and think about hackers before i consider a PC version of this game. the 360 demo was a nice level playing field and smooth framerate clip, I'd hate for that to be an illusion thanks to PC Gaming's big flaws.

GHG

Gold Member
Think I'm gonna buy this for the PC.

Gametrailers review sold me, looks a lot deeper than split/second.

Is anyone else having performence problems that dark10x is having or is it an isolated issue?

mescalineeyes said:
what a fucking TERRIBLE comparison, PC Games (the magazine, not PC games) can go to hell.

Seems a fair enough comparison to me. If you're playing on a modern monitor that's how big the difference will be and for a PC focused website that's probably the question their readers want answering. Actual 1280x720 panels simply do not exist so its a shitty resolution to compare PC and console games at since no one is going to be playing on a display like that. Maybe 1080p would have been a more suitable resolution since its the most popular HDTV and monitor resolution of display sold today and you can get both consoles to output at that resolution but the point still stands. If you're doing a graphics comparison it makes sense to consider resolution as well. Unless you play your games on a 720P DLP projector, I don't see the issue.

U2NUMB

noneofexion said:
To those who have:

1) How does the difficulty of the AI on normal compare to something like, say, Mario Kart? Are we talking 150CC? (didn't see an answer yet)

2) I don't have it yet, but I'm assuming you set the difficulty somewhere in an OPTIONS section - like, it's a global setting to set to "EASY"

3) Does setting to a different difficulty prevent you from unlocking anything?

I'm on the fence about picking this up, difficult racers give me no pleasure

1) Not sure... havent played Mario Kart in ages

2) Yes you can change the difficulty in the main options or when you are in career.

3) The only thing I have noticed is one Achievement/Trophy that needs it to be on hard. But you can switch at any time.

For me personally I was getting annoyed at Normal level so I bumped it to Easy and have been having much more fun. I am a big racing fan so this game is a bit tough on Normal or above.

brain_stew said:
Seems a fair enough comparison to me. If you're playing on a modern monitor that's how big the difference will be and for a PC focused website that's probably the question their readers want answering. Actual 1280x720 panels simply do not exist so its a shitty resolution to compare PC and console games at since no one is going to be playing on a display like that. Maybe 1080p would have been a more suitable resolution since its the most popular HDTV and monitor resolution of display sold today and you can get both consoles to output at that resolution but the point still stands. If you're doing a graphics comparison it makes sense to consider resolution as well. Unless you play your games on a 720P DLP projector, I don't see the issue.

well let me tell you, I have a 42" Bravia and it doesn't look anything like on that screenshot.

brain_stew, don't get me wrong, of course the PC version blows the console versions out of the water, by magnitudes that are beyond anything we can quantify, but I just think blowing console screenshots up to 4x their size isn't doing anyone a favor.

I did however cook up some 1280 screenshots based on their source and simply removed the PC version, as including that in the comparison is like comparing GAF to N4G.

noneofexion said:
Thank you much for the reply, VERY helpful and pulling me toward nabbing the game. So when it comes to SP... if you want to just go in and play a quick race or two, you go to career mode and replay a challenge or whatever - or is there a way to quickly access a track and just race? And last, do you "Unlock" tracks - assuming there is no quick race option or something like that, I guess you have to complete career mode to get more tracks?

you definitely want to play career mode all the time, so you accumulate fans and unlock cars, but the career mode is very much styled like a quick-play.

all tracks seem to be unlocked from the get-go for multiplayer, so that's good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Disagree completely. They did a terrible job scaling those shots and the end result is pixelated and ugly. Only truly awful displays would produce results similar to that.

720p games still look very crisp and clean on my Kuro, for instance.

S1kkZ

noneofexion said:
To those who have:

1) How does the difficulty of the AI on normal compare to something like, say, Mario Kart? Are we talking 150CC? (didn't see an answer yet)

2) I don't have it yet, but I'm assuming you set the difficulty somewhere in an OPTIONS section - like, it's a global setting to set to "EASY"

3) Does setting to a different difficulty prevent you from unlocking anything?

I'm on the fence about picking this up, difficult racers give me no pleasure
1. since you can block/counter almost any power-up with another power-up, its less unfair/frustrating. is pretty challenging on normal and much easier on "easy".
2.you can set the difficulty before every race in the menu or the main menu.
3.no.

even if you dont win a race, you still get "fan points" and can progress with you fan level (which unlocks better cars).

Pete Rock

Game is awesome. It actually makes me laugh how many kudos are given to S/S when anyone who played Pure online knows the game will be dead in the water outside of 6 months. I also think AgentOtaku makes a relevant point regarding the recent reviews of LP2, another game designed significantly around multiplayer interaction, an experience which becomes emulated throughout the campaign for better or worse.

In the case of Blurs solo pursuit, the enemy AI is sufficient at selecting and employing powerups in a similar manner that you'd find online. If you are up by 10 seconds you can nearly always expect a barrage of at least 5 lightning attacks and a couple shunts coming your way, and rightly so. Similarly, they will frequently cut you off to steal a powerup in your driving line which is an incredibly valuable tactic online. If that makes you cry bitter tears, you will probably explode in a manbaby rage when 3 more AI drive past you and Barge/Mine you just for good measure :lol

Haven't linked my account yet but the game does have a "photo mode" that is fairly robust, with what looks like the ability to upload 10 public shots on the Blur site. You have to pause the race in single player and select the mode in the menus, but more than anything it just made me want saved films or replays of at least my last few races. I didn't see anything about that feature, although you can press a button to see the statistics on your last 10 multiplayer matches when online.

Tracks are great, the campaign is surprisingly diverse, enjoyable and challenging. They took out that awful synth loop menu background music. All in all I can't really complain, it's easily the most fun I've had with a racing game since Mario Kart. Looking forward to checking out some team games and the custom race options with a few buddies on 360 later :D

dark10x said:
Disagree completely. They did a terrible job scaling those shots and the end result is pixelated and ugly. Only truly awful displays would produce results similar to that.

720p games still look very crisp and clean on my Kuro, for instance.

Well to be fair their exact way of doing it wasn't particularly desirable, but the general idea is mainly what I'm defending. The ideal compromise would be to judge at 1080p as all threed devices will output at that resolution and that is the resolution of the majority of displays sold today.

Omiee

is there a reason im only getting 24fps on my pc ..?
is it locked or something cuz i get 45fps average on crysis on everything max

dark10x

Omiee said:
is there a reason im only getting 24fps on my pc ..?
is it locked or something cuz i get 45fps average on crysis on everything max
Limited to 24fps?

Which video card are you using? Is your display a TV?

I found that, with DX10 games, my older nVidia cards would often default to 24Hz with no way to change it in some instances.

With my ATI card, it was initially a problem, but enabling hardware scaling in the video card control panel COMPLETELY eliminated the problem in all instances.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
WTF

I just loaded the game this morning and my entire save file is gone. I quit the game normally, through its own in-game menu last night. Now everything is cleared, even in-game achievement tracker progress. I backed out and looked at my HDD and it says the only Blur save file I have was created this morning.

This is the 360 version.

Chorazin

AgentOtaku said:
But can someone please let me know if there is customizable controls?

Thanks

It has three different control schemes (on my 360 copy), but I didn't check and see if there was a fully custom one.

noneofexion said:
So if you want to race on a particular track you have to hunt it down in whatever section of the Career mode it's in?

I am honest to god not sure, maybe someone else can check it out? I just moved so my 360 is still in my suitcase :lol

zugzug

so did all you PC purchasers of this game know before you bought it that it has zero mouse support? Did I find part of the reason it costs $39.99.

I said earlier in this post it was impulse buy.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
zugzug said:
so did all you PC purchasers of this game know before you bought it that it has zero mouse support? Did I find part of the reason it costs $39.99.

I'm pretty sure Blur was meant to be played with a gamepad. But yeah, it's kinda lazy not to have mouse support in the menus. Certainly not a dealbreaker though. Especially considering that the PC version is half the price of the console versions.

ruxtpin

Banned
Used my BestBuy giftcard and ordered the 360 version. Send a FR to
ruxtpin
if you're looking for a fellow - friendly - XBL player. =)

Pete Rock

zugzug said:
so did all you PC purchasers of this game know before you bought it that it has zero mouse support?.
It doesn't support racing wheel controllers either, but it's really more suited for gamepads either way.

zugzug said:

:D

Pete Rock said:
It doesn't support racing wheel controllers either, but it's really more suited for gamepads either way.

Oh.

dark10x

zugzug said:

Doesn't matter, using a pad. Regardless, the menu isn't designed in such a way that a mouse would be useful.

GHG

Gold Member
mescalineeyes said:
some better console ports have customized menus for kb/M

Yeh but if I can run though the menus with my controller rather than have to lean forward to my desk to use the Kb/M then I'm damn well gonna just do the former. Its more comfortable.

noneofexion said:
Thanks for checkin - so you have to drill through the career mode menus to get to various tracks in SP... I wish there was a faster way, but if the menus are quick and easy to navigate I guess its not the end of the world.

I love the menus. plus you get XP for every race.

Sysgen

dark10x said:
Limited to 24fps?

Which video card are you using? Is your display a TV?

I found that, with DX10 games, my older nVidia cards would often default to 24Hz with no way to change it in some instances.

With my ATI card, it was initially a problem, but enabling hardware scaling in the video card control panel COMPLETELY eliminated the problem in all instances.

How can you tell if Blur is DX10? Usually there is some option to switch between DX9/10 either in the menu options or when the game is launched. I see neither.

Top Bottom