• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blur |OT|

noisome07 said:
eh, if everyone but you is finding the game fun then yea. im sure it must be CRUCIAL for the game NOT to be 60FPS.

I don't need to play the game to establish the point. Dozens of examples over a couple of decades provide all the evidence you need. Every single time there's been a 30fps arcade racer released someone will claim it doesn't matter and "its fine" and every single time the actual reality is very far from that. That ultra responsiveness, smoothness, sense of speed and amount of visual information you need to truly appreciate a good 3D arcade racer is always lost. Like I say, I didn't establish the rules, SEGA did, they figured this shit out 17 years ago, it doesn't need to be contested now when the evidence speaks for itself.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
brain_stew said:
Well its an arcade racer and the console versions are locked at 30fps, that pretty much makes the decision, surely? The console versions might as well be labelled as flat out broken, its a genre that just does not work at 30fps, it never has and never will, this point was established way back in 1993 ffs.
Ignorance a the highest regard, but please, continue. It seems like you will anyways.

noisome07

Banned
brain_stew said:
I don't need to play the game to establish the point. Dozens of examples over a couple of decades provide all the evidence you need. Every single time there's been a 30fps arcade racer released someone will claim it doesn't matter and "its fine" and every single time the actual reality is very far from that. That ultra responsiveness, smoothness, sense of speed and amount of visual information you need to truly appreciate a good 3D arcade racer is always lost. Like I say, I didn't establish the rules, SEGA did, they figured this shit out 17 years ago, it doesn't need to be contested now when the evidence speaks for itself.

haha, you're funny.

game is fun, end of story bro.

enzo_gt said:
Ignorance a the highest regard, but please, continue. It seems like you will anyways.

I'll make an exception for 2D sprite scalers like the original Outrun and Super Hang On, but in 3D its 60fps or bust. No exceptions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn it, the PC version has hitching problems for me. Every 5 seconds there is a small, but annoying, pause that occurs. If I watch FRAPS you'll see it drop from 60 to ~54 or so. It does this constantly throughout the race regardless of settings.

Can't enjoy the game like this. Not happy... :(

Chorazin

This game was awesome and fun and a blast and my girlfriend likes it so we can play together and then the internet told me it wasn't 60fps.

FUCK THIS GAME!!!! Now it's ruined. I told my girl and she threw the 360 with the game in it out the fucking window, she was so enraged. Hit some poor motherfucker walking past, too.

He reached into the ruins of my former "entertainment" video game system (if you can call something that delivers such sub-par performance entertainment) saw Blur, looked up, and said "Good call, the Internet says it's not locked to 60fps, fuck this game!"

Then we all shared a hearty chuckle.

dark10x said:
Damn it, the PC version has hitching problems for me. Every 5 seconds there is a small, but annoying, pause that occurs. If I watch FRAPS you'll see it drop from 60 to ~54 or so. It does this constantly throughout the race regardless of settings.

Uh-oh. Tried using triple buffering instead perhaps? Tries a different refresh rate (like 50hz maybe)? Tried running in 720p?

Thanks for the cautionary words anyway. There may not be a functional version of the game afterall though it could be an ATI thing, I know you suffered similar in SEGA racing and that was ATI specific.

ZeoVGM

Banned
brain_stew said:
Well its an arcade racer and the console versions are locked at 30fps, that pretty much makes the decision, surely? The console versions might as well be labelled as flat out broken, its a genre that just does not work at 30fps, it never has and never will, this point was established way back in 1993 ffs.

:lol

Riiiiight.

dark10x

Eh, the hitches were cleaned up a bit with a reboot, but it doesn't feel solid at all. Nowhere near as smooth as the Codemasters games. Ah well. It's mostly 60 fps, but there are a lot of random drops.

At this rate, I would have been better off with the console version. I'd rather have a rock solid 30 fps than a variable framerate. I'm running an i7 930 + 5870. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't get this game to perform perfectly on such specs.

Oh PC gaming. :(

dark10x said:
Eh, the hitches were cleaned up a bit with a reboot, but it doesn't feel solid at all. Nowhere near as smooth as the Codemasters games. Ah well. It's mostly 60 fps, but there are a lot of random drops.

At this rate, I would have been better off with the console version. I'd rather have a rock solid 30 fps than a variable framerate. I'm running an i7 930 + 5870. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't get this game to perform perfectly on such specs.

Oh PC gaming. :(

Is it constant hitching or just dropping frames in intense scenes? Could you not just try running it in 720p with a small amount of AA to rule out the latter?

dark10x

brain_stew said:
Is it constant hitching or just dropping frames in intense scenes? Could you not just try running it in 720p with a small amount of AA to rule out the latter?
Now it's just dropping in intense scenes...but resolution changes don't seem to make a difference suggesting that it is not a video card issue.

That said, I'm noticing some odd sound artifacts which now has me wondering if it is actually a sound chipset problem. I'm using onboard realtek, so who knows...

Regardless, it's much more playable now. I'm just disappointed it isn't a smoother experience.

Mr. Hyde

Wow. Me and two other friends who bought it have been playing it on PS3 against random people for over four hours tonight and I didn't even notice how fast the time went :lol Best money spent on a game in a long time. I'm already liking it as much as Mario Kart, so I'm sure I'll be investing far too many hours in it. A+

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Haha, I barely notice a difference between 30fps and 60 (if at all).

PGR games are some of the best arcade racers around and.. locked at 30.

jamaniek said:
You need to visit an ophthalmologist.

Not really, for the tech-heads and pixel-counters, it does mean a lot. I'm happy with my average Joe-gamer status and can enjoy a game at whatever fps it's running at within reason - provided it doesn't dip wildly.

jamaniek

Pylon_Trooper said:
Not really, for the tech-heads and pixel-counters, it does mean a lot. I'm happy with my average Joe-gamer status and can enjoy a game at whatever fps it's running at within reason - provided it doesn't dip wildly.
I've got nothing against 30fps but if this guy really can't see the difference he needs help because it IS noticeable.

Brofist

user_nat said:
Haha, I barely notice a difference between 30fps and 60 (if at all).

PGR games are some of the best arcade racers around and.. locked at 30.

Do you mean barely care or barely notice. If it's the latter I wish I was you, because I see the difference as clear as night and day.

ultim8p00

Banned
dark10x said:

restart your computer after installing the game

ZeoVGM

Banned
jamaniek said:
I've got nothing against 30fps but if this guy really can't see the difference he needs help because it IS noticeable.

To you.

If PGR games are locked at 30, then yeah, I'm in the same boat as him. Looks brilliant.

Dandy J

Yea 30fps sucks ass that's why I got the PC version.

Also there's 100x XP rooms so you can get the whole game without grinding. There's a mod that turns your dropped power ups into bombs and man is it hilarious. There's also TONS of options if you make a custom room, it's really nice.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
jamaniek said:
You need to visit an ophthalmologist.

Uh, why? Anything above 30FPS is not going to be noticed by the majority of people.

The people that are anal (like Brain_Stew) about 60FPS. ALL THE TIME. NOT BUYING THE GAME IF IT ISN'T THAT. Need to chill. 30FPS is fine for a majority of games. Blur runs fine in 30FPS. I don't see the damn issue. But of course, I'm not anal about my framerate so long as it isn't chugging and it moves fine.

Dandy J

Thing is, in a fast racing game, like Blur gets in class A, 30fps actually does look like chugging. Slower games can get away with it, but playing something like F-Zero at 30fps? Not gonna happen.

twinturbo2 said:
I'm dying here. :lol

Ssssshhh, the fans of that *other* game will hear and get all indignant, or truculently shrug their shoulders and puff on about NPDs. Y'know, all serious-like.

I'd like to see Brock Lee as a playable character in the next Club installment. I thought that game was ace.

1. Has Bizarre once again placed a plethora of customized controls options ala PGR4? ]Very i'mportant, as I'm one of those few people that prefers to accelerate with the right analog stick/doesn't like using the triggers

2. Are servers region locked or can you play internationally?

Thanks again!

Klocker

2000 ish people online (360)

played a few races and with an excellent upgrade system and after muddling my way through a few races, it started to click. I can see some depth to the game play and reminds me a bit of a shooter with cars. I don't mean bullets, but just the nature of the gameplay.... use some skill, smarts, and strategy to win... although best I did was 4th.

Gonna hope the community comes together on this. Buy 360 version plz. :D Matchmaking was solid and pretty slick experience overall with a TON of options. (even settings to set the positions of your HT system. :D

graphics are sweet, love the rain, cars handle well for what we are doing and leveling up is fun even if I'm fighting for middle of the pack sometimes. There appears to be a chance to always win (once you get better)

jamaniek

twinturbo2 said:
BTW, what's the hidden trophy on the PS3 version?
Given that PS3 trophies are the same as Achievements:
Socializer-Share your first Blur experience on Facebook, Twitter or PSN
or
This time it's personal- Wreck a Blur developer on PSN, or anyone with this Trophy

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Pylon_Trooper said:
Ssssshhh, the fans of that *other* game will hear and get all indignant, or truculently shrug their shoulders and puff on about NPDs. Y'know, all serious-like.

I'd like to see Brock Lee as a playable character in the next Club installment. I thought that game was ace.
They should just make that Cutie Kart game for the Wii just to pour a barrel of salt into the wound. :lol

Shots fired? More like nuke dropped. :lol

AgentOtaku said:
1. Has Bizarre once again placed a plethora of customized controls options ala PGR4? ]Very i'mportant, as I'm one of those few people that prefers to accelerate with the right analog stick/doesn't like using the triggers

2. Are servers region locked or can you play internationally?

Thanks again!

Agent, we seem to be on the same page, game-wise!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Kind of a silly question but I wanted to play with the Twitter linking; I linked my game to an account on blurgame.com but can't find where you actually enter your Twitter info on the site or in the game. What stupid thing am I overlooking?

NinjaBoiX

brain_stew said:
Yeah, you're talking shit dude. I'll nearly always listen to brain-stew on the subject of PC's, but you can't just have an opinion about racers and state it as fact. There are a TON of awesome racers that run at 30fps, and yes, it is indeed fine. Maybe you just suck?

U2NUMB

Put about 3 hours into the game tonight. I am really enjoying it.. fantastic twist on racing and I love the whole vibe of the game. BC finally FINALLY went back to the PGR2 formula where you reward everyone in the race no matter what place they ended up.. so Fans are the same thing as Kudos (PGR2 days).

The menus are slick as hell.. also just found the party system, very nice.. just hit INVITE FRIENDS in the main menu and you can pull 8 of them with you. When you back out it gives the option to pull party with you.. something I wish IW would have learned.

One thing that does worry me.. only 1400 people or so online most of the night on the 360. I had 5 friends on my list that have played the game and the last one who only played one race was ranked in the top 6000.

I sure hope this game holds up online... Those on my friends list that played it all reported back very positive impressions.

How healthy is the PS3 and PC online tonight? Since they give us the number I was curious.

@Kaijima It is in just about every menu.. on the 360 its LB or RB.. cant remember which.

Phloxy

Well, Pc version I'd advise against, just got into a room with 11 level 50 players, fucking pc gamers an their damn cheats.

Odrion

Banned
The IGN 7.0 is a bummer. Although the reviewer did focus a little too much on singleplayer, only dedicating a short paragraph to the multiplayer "The 20 man races are too chaotic, but the other modes are fine!" Felt like he missed the point of the game.

The Giantbomb review seems a little better, but Ryan said he only spent six hours in multiplayer and didn't finish the single player. :|

And the lack of players online is even more concerning. That's pretty much what's going to make or break the game. If the online community in that dies early, it's pretty much a useless.

jaydogg691

For those concerned about the PS3 version I've had no problems at all with the game. I haven't seen how the final 360 version compares, but based off the 360 beta the games look the same. I haven't seen any hiccups or slow down during gameplay. PS3 version does have a 1.3GB install, but I wasn't paying attention when it installed and 1.3 gigs isn't a lot. The game does have DTS support on PS3, but you have to uncheck Dolby Digital from the XMB. As for the online performance, I've yet to test it out on PS3.

Top Bottom