• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO Wkd 06•16-18•17 - Queen is dethroned, all hail McQueen, ScarJo roughed up

Actually, it's libel.

Slander is spoken.
d77.gif

TF5 spoiler:

Merlin confirmed, he is in it for 5 minutes.
and
earth is Unicron.

early movie spoiilers:

"Early in the movie the creator of Cybertron, Quintessa (no idea where she came from) says that Earth is actually Cybertron's enemy, Unicron"

kswiston

Last chance to get your Transformers 5 predictions out there.

The Domestic opening is 5-days instead of 3.

The overseas opening is in 42 territories this weekend, including China.

Quake1028

For posterity, here were your DOM and WW projections for Wonder Woman, taken from the thread the week before it came out. If you are in red, the film has already surpassed your numbers 2+ weeks in.

Everyone except for DeathyBoy is going to be low on DOM, and maybe 4 people will be high on WW.

bvh2ZYv.jpg

BumRush

Last chance to get your Transformers 5 predictions out there.

The Domestic opening is 5-days instead of 3.

The overseas opening is in 42 territories this weekend, including China.

Dom Tot: 180M
WW Tot: 900M

For posterity, here were your DOM and WW projections for Wonder Woman, taken from the thread the week before it came out. If you are in red, the film has already surpassed your numbers 2+ weeks in.

Everyone except for DeathyBoy is going to be low on DOM, and maybe 4 people will be high on WW.

bvh2ZYv.jpg

Never been so pleased to be wrong

GhaleonEB

Not feeling bad about my prediction, under the circumstances. Will obviously be low, but I'm glad I rethought it and bumped it up at the last minute.

kswiston

Here's my thoughts on Transformers 5:

Age of Extinction roughly made $245M domestic, $310M China, and $450 $550M elsewhere.

The current domestic projection is $70-75M over 5 days which is terrible. For comparison, Dark of the Moon made over $160M in its first 5 days, and Revenge of the Fallen was over $200M.

Assuming that the 5-day total is in the right ballpark, you can probably just double it to get the domestic take. So in this case about $150M.

Presales in China are running at about half of what Fate of the Furious had 2 days before debut. Transformers started its presales later though. I'm going to guess about $300M in China, based on presales. It could be a bit lower than that.

I think that overseas (outside of China) will mirror the domestic run. Local currency drops probably won't be as harsh, but you also have to factor in weak exchange rates. I'll say 70% of AoE overseas (minus China), giving us a total of around $315M $385M

DOM: $150M
China: $300M

WW Total = $835M

EDIT: $550 elswhere, not $450! Updating the OS figures to compensate.

Ohh I wanna play the "let's all underestimate Transformers" game.

5-day OW: $110M
Dom total: $230M
WW total: $950M

Wait...did I do it wrong? Who cares!

kswiston

Ohh I wanna play the "let's all underestimate Transformers" game.

5-day OW: $110M
Dom total: $230M
WW total: $950M

Wait...did I do it wrong? Who cares!

I dropped $100M from AoE's overseas portion due to a math failure. Since I think that overseas will be down about 30%, I added back in the $70M that I didn't mean to discard :p

The last film would have been at around $950M with today's rates.

kswiston

I am as firm on Transformers 5 not passing $1B as I was on GOTG2 a few months back. The $1.1B grosses of both Dark of the Moon and Age of Extinction would be under $1B with 2017 exchange rates.

Thanks for compiling the projections, Quake1028! I definitely underestimated WW's domestic potential.

I'm gonna predict 170 million in the US for Transformers 5 and a worldwide total of 850.

"Oh, fuck"

Here we are, in June of the year 2017 of our Lord, and Michael Bay has returned from the grave of Benjamin Ghazi to deliver his final (as long as we don't count his next 13 Transformers films) contribution to the longest running franchise of all time. The marketing has lived up to this promise of closure, bringing the series to its logical conclusion with franchise "hero" Optimus Prime vowing to destroy the planet Earth and every miserable human being on it. The question to be addressed here is whether lifeforms on this plane of existence will flock to theaters over the next five days, or will this majestic series falter as us mere mortals fail to comprehend the true art on display?

umB896R.gif

The franchise has been on a downward spiral since the second film, at least domestically (thanks, Obama) and the early signs give no impression of that changing. It’s worth noting just massive this franchise once was stateside, with the first Transformers film beating out the third Pirates of the Caribbean film and nearly topping the third Shrek film. In fact, these franchises have mirrored each other to an uncanny degree. It’s worth examining that, and tabulated below is the domestic take for each film, along with the Flixster user score found on rottentomatoes.com. Note that Pirates 5’s final domestic is estimated:

Code:
          Pirates of the Caribbean      Shrek                         Transformers

1st       $305.4M/86%                   $267.7M/90%                   $319.2M/85%
2nd       $423.3M/72%                   $441.2M/69%                   $402.1M/57%
3rd       $309.4M/72%                   $322.7M/52%                   $352.4M/55%
4th       $241.1M/54%                   $238.7M/54%                   $245.4M/51%
5th       $165.0M/67%                   N/A                           TBD
Based solely on Dead Men Tell No Tales, it seems likely The Last Knight will see its domestic gross decapitated in comparison to the previous film.

oLc7nRc.gif

Online signs are quite weak; as of this writing, boxoffice.com’s twitter tracking narrowly places it in the top five and it only accounts for 13% of ticket sales on movietickets.com. The review embargo does not end up 7PM EST, i.e., when showtimes begin on the East Coast. A few reviews have broken it, but needless to say, it is likely critics will enjoy The Last Knight as much as a hole in the head.

1uYwOX4.gif

With a Wednesday release, predicting exactly how the five day opening plays out will be tricky. There have been few Tuesday previews for major releases since that weekday became huge at the box office, so the most useful comparison is The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. The Hobbit 3 made a very high 45.8% of its opening day in previews, but I wouldn’t expect Transformers 5 to be quite that high thanks in part to lower anticipation and schools being out. The Wednesday release was decided fairly late in the game, so it is reasonable to assume the Friday increase will be strong as awareness of the midweek opening is probably not especially uniform. As we have seen with Pirates 5, even apparent stronger word of mouth does not necessarily lead to better legs for “fivequels,” and next week starts an onslaught of appealing releases, so expect The Last Knight to have multiple 50+% drops for the next month. I’m feeling solid about a domestic total of ~$140M, which may seem like an incredible drop-off from the last film, but it is worth noting that The Hangover franchise saw an even more precipitous fall between the second and third installment ($254M to $112M). With the trickiness of midweek releases, don’t be surprised if my daily breakdown is tossed out the window or completely scrambled.

RlqBqei.gif

Of course, the bread and butter of the last two Transformers films have been the overseas money. Dark of the Moon and Age of Extinction each made over $1.1B worldwide, with the latter making three and a half times its domestic take overseas with $858.6M. China accounted for a massive portion of that, with a then record $320M gross. Analysts were initially expecting Transformers 5 to gross over $400+M in the country, but presales have been relatively soft and suggest a total a bit under the fourth film is more likely. Even with significantly weaker exchange rates than in 2014, that still is almost certain to film the film on track for at least $800M worldwide. I’m not certain whether the overseas gross will hit “merely” $650M or top $700M, but let’s split the difference.

Code:
Pre:  $7.3M
Wed:  $12.4M/$19.7M
Thu:  $8.6M         -30.65%/-56.35%
Fri:  $13.1M        +52.33%
Sat   $16.3M        +24.43%
Sun:  $12.4M        -23.93%

OW:  $41.8M
2nd: $18.4M         -55.98%
3rd:  $7.3M         -60.33%
4th:  $3.8M         -47.95%

DOM:  $140M
INT:  $684M
WW:   $824M

2YyCsdV.gif

kswiston

^^^

Pretty much what I had, but even more pessimistic on the domestic take :p

I have heard that T5 has an ungodly amount of product placement, including some expensive Chinese deals. I have also heard that Chinese distributors/studios have guaranteed Paramount something like $130M (when their take on a $300M gross would usually be about $75M).

As such, I don't think it is possible for The Last Knight to actually lose money.

BumRush

I'm waiting anxiously for the thread where Swiss and BGE have a falling out, then start one upping each other like Borden and Angier.

I can only imagine the insane level of analysis we will get then...

DeathyBoy

Banned

bvh2ZYv.jpg

Own that shit. Own it! What'd you thiink was gonna happen? Huh?

I'm predicting 110 Dom and 1.8 billion WW for TF5. All in.

Transformers is taking a billion out of your pockets and you're getting transformers 6, 7 and 8

and you'll love it,damn it.

that's my prediction.

Top Bottom