• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO Wkd 06•16-18•17 - Queen is dethroned, all hail McQueen, ScarJo roughed up

This is irrelevant, as it's a movie which is the equivalent of Richard Donner Superman for the female audience in 2017. Logan is a better movie than Wonder Woman or Guardians 2 from a technical standpoint imo, but it's not as fun or inspiring as WW or GOTG 2 and it's reflected by it's bo performance.

Several people in the WW thread have heard women talking about it as being empowering and inspiring as they were sitting in the theater, which is one reason which explains it's incredible staying power. Sam Raimi Spider Man was fairly formulaic, but it also showed incredible legs back in 2002 since it was fun and brought to the silver screen the most iconic Marvel superhero at the time (and benefited from Attack of the clones being what it was :p).

Spider-man was basically the first of its kind, so I don't think you can make the comparison.

WillyFive

No, I'm looking at it as a piece of cinema. Evaluating its qualities as a movie, I found it to be very middling.

The beginning dragged with too much exposition, the special effects were TV quality, the cinematography was amateurish at various scenes.

And yet, it was still one of the greatest superhero movies ever made and Gal Gadot's WW is the best DC film hero since Reeves' Superman. A movie is more than a sum of its parts.

kswiston

Spider-man was basically the first of its kind, so I don't think you can make the comparison.

Spider-man also happened in the aftermath of 9-11 when the US was in the beginning stages of the Afghan war. Spectacle fantasy did extremely well in the early 00s.

Spider-man also happened in the aftermath of 9-11 when the US was in the beginning stages of the Afgan war. Spectacle fantasy did extremely well in the early 00s.

Yeah, even if Attack of the Clones had been competently done, it probably still wouldn't have resonated nearly as well as Spider-Man did.

You tell Attack of the Clones story well, you still end up with a story where two shitty teenagers fall in lust and confuse it for a deeper emotion as the foreground on a larger story where a detective works to unravel the mystery behind a corrupt politician manipulating an entire religion into backing & promoting an unjust war. The twist? Everyone watching already knows who the corrupt politician is, and that he's working both sides.

That's some depressing shit, even if you do it right. Which was not what happened.

Raimi didn't quite get Peter right, but the movie he turned out was fun as hell for the most part.

Ridley327

Oh man, I know that resonated with a lot of people because of the time period, but man.

There was never a point where a scene like that wouldn't be complete cornball, but even outside of the context of the year it released in, the fact that the film makes no apologies for it does a lot to make it work in spite of every bone in your body telling you that it shouldn't. The world can always use unabashed enthusiasm like that scene.

Plus, it made for a hell of a turn when they try it again in the sequel.

There was never a point where a scene like that wouldn't be complete cornball, but even outside of the context of the year it released in, the fact that the film makes no apologies for it does a lot to make it work in spite of every bone in your body telling you that it shouldn't. The world can always used unabashed enthusiasm like that scene.

One of my film professors (and favorite teachers) grew up in Brooklyn, had the full accent and demeanor, and showed that clip in every class for this very reason.

It's memorable as fuck

Still remember everyone standing up and saluting the screen,

XxJqVlz.gif

kswiston

Going to WW Wednesday night! So pumped.

My wife and I went yesterday.

My wife asked me if I picked up on anything that I missed the first time through. I don't think there was, other than a goat with pretty awesome horns in one of the Themyscira scenes.

we now live in a world where a shitty mummy remake make more money than an Alien movie. :\

20 years ago we lived in a world where George of the Jungle (starring Brendan Fraser!), Speed 2 (starring Jason Patric), The Saint (starring Val Kilmer!), two disaster movies about volcanoes, Batman and Robin, and TWO limited run Special Edition re-releases of Star Wars movies made more money than an Alien movie.

25 years ago
we lived in a world where Beethoven (it's about a big dog!) Honey I Blew Up the Kid (it's about a big kid!), an a fuckin Steven Seagal movie made more money than an Alien movie.

GhaleonEB

Hope 47 meters gets released here.

Go in with the right mindset and it will be fun. It's a really, really dumb and badly put together movie, but if you expect that you'll end up laughing your ass off.

It's really clear that they cut together a ton of footage of divers swimming around and the actors dubbed lines over it to cobble together a story. Entire scenes will be overhead shots of someone swimming along the ocean floor, with no sense of place or direction, while the actor (who was almost certainly not doing said swimming) dubs lines over the radio. Then we get a sudden wide shot of them arriving at their destination.

There's a scene where the cage they are in falls, and it looks *exactly* like actors in a stationary cage flailing around while bubbles are pumped up from under them while the camera shakes, rather than a cage actually falling through water. It was kind of amazing.

kswiston

Alien isn't a very big franchise. Covenant is the second film in the series to break $200M worldwide, even counting the AvP stuff.

All 3 of the Fraser Mummy films broke $400M, and the first one is 18 years old. The Cruise Mummy will probably finish around that mark as well, even with the current poor exchange rates.

Prometheus just barely cracked $400M with very good exchange rates.

Lol, did she like it?

Yes, but I think that she read some article about Gadot's pro-IDF comments just before we well, which put a bit of a cloud over the whole thing for her.

Hazelhurst

The Mummy is awful. I didn't think it was going to be that bad. It just doesn't feel like a complete movie. I feel ripped off. Crowe is great in it and I don't mind the Mummy girl. Cruise feels out of place.

Whoever is on the fence to see The Mummy, just wait to redbox or however you watch movies at home.

kswiston

I'm trying to convince someone to go with me to A Ghost Story when it opens in a few weeks, but everyone that I have showed the trailer to thinks that it looks like Hipster: the Movie.

20 years ago we lived in a world where George of the Jungle (starring Brendan Fraser!), Speed 2 (starring Jason Patric), The Saint (starring Val Kilmer!), two disaster movies about volcanoes, Batman and Robin, and TWO limited run Special Edition re-releases of Star Wars movies made more money than an Alien movie.

25 years ago
we lived in a world where Beethoven (it's about a big dog!) Honey I Blew Up the Kid (it's about a big kid!), an a fuckin Steven Seagal movie made more money than an Alien movie.

You know, despite knowing that Alien isn't a 'big money' thing (I checked on Prometheus a while back), I somehow completely forgot about that when typing that. I just saw that international number and was all:

giphy.gif

It's more the idea of Kurtzman (and Orci) getting away with it that offends my sensibilities. If only that hadn't hired that hands-on actor who completely ruined (= saved) the movie! Those damn meddling actors!

Also, I have almost zero interest in watching Covenant myself, so it's not unexpected, but I don't want to hear "from successful director" with K & O attached to it either. Justice has not been served.

I'm trying to convince someone to go with me to A Ghost Story when it opens in a few weeks, but everyone that I have showed the trailer to thinks that it looks like Hipster: the Movie.
Dawg it's from A24 and has Rooney Mara in it. That's exactly what it is.

Your friends are trash. My advice: stop being friends

kswiston

I wish i could see it without funding casey affleck.

I suppose that I assume that almost everyone who is in Hollywood for any real length of time is a terrible person. When we get a report that actor X is in fact a terrible person, it isn't really that surprising. Money and fame corrupt. Unless you are Keanu Reeves.

I understand your sentiment though.

Is this a good time to bring up my crowdfunding campaign to make GAF: The Flick

Idris Elba plays me
Gwyneth Paltrow plays Bobby
Rain plays Slayven
ALL of Los Boricuas play swiss

Idris Elba plays me
Rain plays Slayven

I'm going to make GAF: Origins at a different movie studio, and release it two years later in hopes of recouping costs.

You and Slayven are played by Tego Calderon and Don Omar.

Anth0ny

25 years ago

It's funny to look back at the top 10 movies of a year and think... we used to like some WEIRD, bad shit.

And I'm sure in 20 years we'll look back to this year and be like HOW WERE PEOPLE SO OBSESSED WITH COMIC BOOK MOVIES JESUS CHRIST

Idris Elba plays me
Rain plays Slayven

Paltrow doesn't have the RANGE to pretend to be black on the internet anywhere near as convincingly as I do without even TRYING.

I suppose that I assume that almost everyone who is in Hollywood for any real length of time is a terrible person. When we get a report that actor X is in fact a terrible person, it isn't really that surprising. Money and fame corrupt. Unless you are Keanu Reeves.

I understand your sentiment though.

From what I gather from friends in the know, Keanu Reeves is taking social dance lessons at a place in West L.A...I wonder if the ladies that partner with him are like "woah"

I'm going to make GAF: Origins at a different movie studio, and release it two years later in hopes of recouping costs.

You and Slayven are played by Tego Calderon and Don Omar.

daaaaaanza kuduuuroooooooooo

Paltrow doesn't have the RANGE to pretend to be black on the internet anywhere near as convincingly as I do without even TRYING.

I still can't quite follow the thought process of those goons

Wonder Woman is probably going to smash my WW box office estimate of $700,000,000 and I couldn't be happier about it.

The bat is dead. Bury it. Long live Diana of Themyscira.

kswiston

Idris Elba plays me
Rain plays Slayven

GAF only has three casting options. Idris Elba, Michael Fassbender, or someone who has the same hair color as the person they are portraying and was sort of popular 10-20 years ago. GAF's casting crew hasn't updated their head shots since 2003.

So, you have your choice of Sean Astin, Billy Boyd, or Dominic Monaghan for Bobby. If you took Elba, Slayven has to be Michael Fassbender. You'll also need to get Weta Digital on board to get Elba down to the right height. I suppose that you could justify casting four Puerto Rican wrestlers from 20 years ago to play me as a move to get that 4 quadrant audience.

Your choice of directors are currently George Miller or Patty Jenkins. No one else exists here.

So, you have your choice of Sean Astin, Billy Boyd, or Dominic Monaghan for Bobby.

None of those three would work, they all have hair.

You'd have to google "actor + Kangol" and then subtract the 50k pages of Sam Jackson

Whatever's left is what you have to work with.

edit: Holy shit I just did that and

f54349c37161bdcc3ade4cbeab525e00.jpg

CHRIS PINE

Brad-Pitt-Driver-Cap-800x600.jpg

BRAD PITT

celebrity-1-500x500.jpg

FUCKIN' BOW WOW

kswiston

None of those three would work, they all have hair.

You'd have to google "actor + Kangol" and then subtract the 50k pages of Sam Jackson

Whatever's left is what you have to work with.

We could just cast Sam Jackson as you, and have him take off his face mask Mission Impossible style near the end to reveal David Cross underneath.

Top Bottom