• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomba? Mirror's Edge Catalyst PS4/XB1 $40 ($32 with GCU) at Best Buy, $42 at Amazon

A-V-B

EA is never going to make a sequel to a cult classic game again, lol.

They were never going to from the start. The only thing that got this game made is that it was pitched as a jumping point into other open world Assassin's Creed-type games for EA's future catalog.

A-V-B

I didn't even know this was out.

There was a 2500-point thread on Reddit on the release date, consisting of hundreds and hundreds of users going "wtf this game came out? I was excited about a Mirror's Edge sequel and I had no idea"

EA left this game to die on the vine, for the most part. I finally saw some marketing for it yesterday in a Wal-Mart. It blew me away.

d00d3n

It feels like a generic open world game. I havent gone very far so hoping it'll change but it's not blowing me away like the original did.

Of all the negative things you could say about the game, I disagree strongly about that. It is an open world parkour simulation without guns. There is no clearly similar open world game out there. The only real point of comparison is the previous game in the series, but that was not an open world game. Other than that, you can see some fleeting similarities with open world racing games and some features (such as collectibles) that are common in open world design generally, but to call the game generic does not seem fair.

A-V-B

Of all the negative things you could say about the game, I disagree strongly about that. It is an open world parkour simulation without guns. There is no clearly similar open world game out there. The only real point of comparison is the previous game in the series, but that was not an open world game. Other than that, you can see some fleeting similarities with open world racing games and some features (such as collectibles) that are common in open world design generally, but to call the game generic does not seem fair.

Yeah, generic is the last quality I'd ascribe to this game. No game is so uniquely flawed and successful like Catalyst, not even the original. It's brave, in a really conflicted way.

Bikram

The parkour is great and the handcrafted missions are really fun to play, but at the same time the open world is horrible and the game has a myriad of problems. It's still a one of a kind game and worth playing if you liked the first Mirror's Edge, but wait for a better deal.

Do you really need to cast aspersions on whether that person has played it or not? Do you realize how defensive it sounds? And yes, for the record, he's right. The open world is boring as fuck. And here you go before you wonder out loud whether I've played the game or not.

Hey skinny, nice to see you here :D

Kind of bummed that I paid full price upfront (with 20% GCU discount) but hopefully will sell more copies. I really like the game but could have been much better. The open world is very underutilized, the story is very stereotypical and takes itself too seriously.

Shouldn't be surprising for any number of reasons. Between the seeming lack of any meaningful marketing and the niche audience that was clamoring for it, I never expected a big success.

NeoRaider

Wow i am actually really surprised that so many members from here didn't even know that this game came out like 2 weeks ago... o_O

Wanderer5

Didn't really have some good marketing, so it was kind of sent out to die.:( It a shame cause despite its shortcomings it still a really fun game.

boltz

I'm not surprised.. nobody really wanted Mirrors Edge 2 besides the very small vocal community of gamers. It's a shame EA caved.

There was a demand for a sequel, but not executed the way EA did, hence the not so glowing reviews and the apparent lack of sales. I'm glad they took the chance but sad they messed it up.

I swear there were a lot of people on gaming forums asking for a sequel. Now where are all those people?

See above.

But look forward to its soul enduring in indie games in the years to come.

I don't know about that. The original came out eight years ago and we haven't seen a decent indie replica yet.

There was a demand for a sequel, but not executed the way EA did.

So curious, how would you have gone about making a Mirror's Edge sequel. I know A-V-B and I had a discussion some time ago about whether we would have been happy with a carbon copy sequel, an the consensus was that we did want something new and different.

A-V-B

I don't know about that. The original came out eight years ago and we haven't seen a decent indie replica yet.

We haven't had a thriving indie scene for eight straight years, either. I'm not expecting a replica of Glass, but I do think its mechanics will survive as well as a desire for super clean environments.

There was a demand for a sequel, but not executed the way EA did, hence the not so glowing reviews and the apparent lack of sales. I'm glad they took the chance but sad they messed it up.
See above.

So Mirrors Edge fans only want the game which is 90+ on metacritic? Original one didn't have glowing reviews either.

It all comes down to EA knowing the market much better than gamers, however, they succumbed to the vocal minority on the internet.

A-V-B

So Mirrors Edge fans only want the game which is 90+ on metacritic? Original one didn't have glowing reviews either.

It all comes down to EA knowing the market much better than gamers, however, they succumbed to the vocal minority on the internet.

I'm trying to make sense of this post...

We haven't had a thriving indie scene for eight straight years, either. I'm not expecting a replica of Glass, but I do think its mechanics will survive as well as a desire for super clean environments.

World of Goo came out in 2008. The indie scene may not have been as strong then as it was now, but it was definitely pickup up steam at the time.

Replica might not have been the best word—we haven't any decent first person platformers come out in the last eight years other than ME and ME: Catalyst. Nobody else seems to want to touch it.

There's Hover: Revolt of Gamers which I played at a friend's house some time ago, and it felt like the controls needed a lot of work. It is an Early Access game so maybe I'm being too hard on it, but, well, that's the problem with Early Access. (Interestingly btw, this game is also open world and was Kickstarted before we knew that ME: Catalyst would be open.)

There's also Lemma, which is pretty darn impressive considering it was made by one person, but leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't know... I'm very concerned that the entire concept is dead, at least for a very, very long. Luckily, I'm of the opinion that Catalyst is brilliant, so that makes two good entries in the genre, at least. It's just too bad that may be all we ever get.

Firestorm

Mirror's Edge fans wanted another beautiful well designed first person parkour platformer. The open world bullshit detracts from the experience. Without it fans would be happier and reviews would be better which may have led to better sales from those who didn't pick up the first game.

The game is worth playing but I really wish it wasn't open world.

Coming out right after Overwatch also didn't help it compete for my time. Though I did buy it at launch yes. Only two hours in or so.

A-V-B

World of Goo came out in 2008. The indie scene may not have been as strong then as it was now, but it was definitely pickup up steam at the time.

Replica might not have been the best word—we haven't any decent first person platformers come out in the last eight years other than ME and ME: Catalyst. Nobody else seems to want to touch it.

There's Hover: Revolt of Gamers which I played at a friend's house some time ago, and it felt like the controls needed a lot of work. It is an Early Access game so maybe I'm being too hard on it, but, well, that's the problem with Early Access. (Interestingly btw, this game is also open world and was Kickstarted before we knew that ME: Catalyst would be open.)

There's also Lemma, which is pretty darn impressive considering it was made by one person, but leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't know... I'm very concerned that the entire concept is dead, at least for a very, very long. Luckily, I'm of the opinion that Catalyst is brilliant, so that makes two good entries in the genre, at least. It's just too bad that may be all we ever get.

Have you seen footage of the Floor is Lava game?

Have you seen footage of the Floor is Lava game?

Forgot aout that one. The movement looks pretty rough and the level design didn't seem to have a lot of care put into it, but I suppose it could be good? It seemed like it was going for a pretty simplistic experience though.

thumb

Banned
Mirror's Edge fans wanted another beautiful well designed first person parkour platformer. The open world bullshit detracts from the experience. Without it fans would be happier and reviews would be better which may have led to better sales from those who didn't pick up the first game.

How, exactly, does it detract? The original Mirror's Edge campaign had a series of linear, well-designed story missions. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst has that too! If you just want that experience, well, just do story missions. Follow the red runner's vision for a linear path between them. If that's it, your complaint boils down to "In ME: Catalyst I have to briefly perform parkour inbetween story missions".

Edit - Also, I'm a huge ME fan. I think what you're saying represents some ME fans, but I don't know how many. I'm guessing that, in lifetime sales, ME: Catalyst will outperform the original. But we'll see.

_Ace_

Unconfirmed Member
I beat it on wednesday, big Mirror's Edge fan here, and I must say the first one is better on every levels (except the animations).
Better story, better music, better missions, better level design, better time trial/speedrun, more chanllenging etc... The original Mirror's Edge was just hands down better.
The ending of the original mirror's edge also feels better.

I also regret they went the open world way, that they also completely gave up the fire weapons, the collectibles are useless in MEC, I dislike the progression system, every movement should have been available from the start.

The game just doesn't live up to the first one in my opinion.

Warriorr

Neo Member
Well, nobody thought we would get a new Mirror's Edge.

I can see DICE making a third one as a downloadable game without the open-world aspect. They seem to love the franchise and it let them do other things than Battlefront and Battlefield all the time.

Top Bottom