• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
JCBossman said:
But you guys are on the Losing Video game format, does that make Kitty sad?

Are you 12? What is this us vs. them mentality. And why am I up at 3:48 am, these questions will be answered and more in the next installment of As NeoGAF Turns.

B-Ri

AzureNightmareXE said:
When was the last time Warner Bros made anything remotely close to worth watching?

... oh god youre kidding right? without warner you wouldnt have your precious avatar meme.

Dragon

Banned
AzureNightmareXE said:
When was the last time Warner Bros made anything remotely close to worth watching?

Considering Warner Bros. includes New Line Cinemas, amongst others, movies like Batman Begins, the LoTR, and the Matrix come to mind.

gimmmick

Unless you invested a ton of money into hd-dvd, I don't know how anyone can be pissed off with this news. If anything, it is just one more step closer to ending this retarded format war, and finally having a succesor to dvd.

Vashu

TheBranca18 said:
Considering Warner Bros. includes New Line Cinemas, amongst others, movies like Batman Begins, the LoTR, and the Matrix come to mind.

Not to mention 300 which the smartguy has for his avatar as already stated.

And speaking of Batman Begins, I hope they will finally release Batman Begins on Blu-Ray. Why is it taking so long?! :(

sinnergy

I am eagerly awaiting HD-DVD discount sales. HD is HD, can't wait to get some of my favorites for cheap.
Didn't invest much into HD-DVD and not into BD either. I have 3 BD's and 2 HD-DVD's.
I already got a email from one online store reporting this news and starting a sale :lol

ndiicm

Ouch. The 360 hddvd add-on (expansion drive) was a real waste just as I suspected. Katuragi is laughing on his private island right now. :lol

Vashu

sinnergy said:
I am eagerly awaiting HD-DVD discount sales. HD is HD, can't wait to get some of my favorites for cheap.
Didn't invest much into HD-DVD and not into BD either. I have 3 BD's and 2 HD-DVD's.
I already got a email from one online store reporting this news and starting a sale :lol

It has begun...

I for one don't really care either way. If WB announced to go HD-DVD I'd just get up and buy an HD-DVD player. But, I am happy I don't have to do that anymore. I just hope Paramount tries to wriggle out of their inane deal and in the end bring Transformers to Blu-Ray. I was planning on getting the 2DVD edition, but now that WB decided to speed up the process we might be able to see it arrive this or next year.

I think I can hold out a bit longer, especially with all the other movies I'm planning to get on Blu-Ray. Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, New Line Cinema has stated that they would go Blu too. This can mean only one thing. The One Ring is blue!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
TheBranca18 said:

This self pwnage needs more :lol :lol , good call out.

I Am Legend will be a good one as well.

evilone

EA Employee
Michael bay speaks again...

" Well another studio down. Maybe I was right? Blu ray is just better. HD will die a slow death. It's what I predicted a year ago. Now with Warner's down for the count with Blu Ray. That makes it easier for Wal-Mart to push Blu Ray. And whatever Wal-Mart pushes - wins. Hd better start giving out those $120 million dollars checks to stay alive. Maybe they can give me some so I can give it to my Make-A-Wish charity, just to shut me up. Have faith people Transformers will come out in Blu-ray one day!"

Bay

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9716#post9716

LowParry

evilone said:

" Well another studio down. Maybe I was right? Blu ray is just better. HD will die a slow death. It's what I predicted a year ago. Now with Warner's down for the count with Blu Ray. That makes it easier for Wal-Mart to push Blu Ray. And whatever Wal-Mart pushes - wins. Hd better start giving out those $120 million dollars checks to stay alive. Maybe they can give me some so I can give it to my Make-A-Wish charity, just to shut me up. Have faith people Transformers will come out in Blu-ray one day!"

Bay

Make it happen Bay!

DrXym

ndiicm said:
Ouch. The 360 hddvd add-on (expansion drive) was a real waste just as I suspected. Katuragi is laughing on his private island right now. :lol

I think Microsoft has been standoffish about HD DVD since the beginning. They appear content to prolong the war to their own ends but not actually get too close that they get dragged down with HD DVD. They should have put an HD DVD drive in the Elite model if they were committed to the format. That might really have turned the tables.

One of the CES rumours that was floating around was MS were going to licence the 360 out to other companies. I expect that if HD DVD did appear it would be in some Toshiba branded "powered by XBox 360" putting all the risk on Tosh if it crashed and burned.

The HD DVD camp yanked their press conference so maybe this was what they were going to announce and now have second thoughts. Maybe even Tosh is ready to throw in the towel and not throw good money after bad.

I'm still trying to get over it over the Warner announcement. This stupid war has been going on for so long that it's hard to think there may at last be an end in sight. Let's hope no more studios play musical chairs and the end really is coming.

evilone said:

Bay

I honestly could care less about any of this....but to be honest, Michael Bay has acted like a fucking child throughout this entire thing, and I honestly don't think he is a good enough director to even have an opinion worth as much attention as he does.

DrXym

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
This self pwnage needs more :lol :lol , good call out.

I Am Legend will be a good one as well.

And Harry Potter. Warner has an excellent back catalogue of titles and most of the titles I'd actually buy from the Buy One Get One Free offer (if Amazon would actually let sell them to a non-US plebe like me) would be Warner titles. They're also currently region free which helps.

ndiicm said:

I dont think the blu ray drive is Ken's baby, the Cell is though

Snah

Banned
I think this has huge implications for the Playstation 3. Some people were sitting out the HD war, waiting for a victor...others were not going to bother getting a Playstation 3 because of the HD-DVD add on as a cheaper alternative...

Now that Blu-Ray has, for all intents and purposes, won the battle, this basically strengthens one of the pillars of the Playstation 3's strategy.

People that were sitting out will now be more inclined to purchase a Playstation 3...those that wanted a cheaper alternative will still have to wait if they truly were that cheap to begin with, but they may now be more inclined to pick up a PS3 because the cheaper alternative turned out to not be the best. These folks still want high def content, they just were more inclined to pick up the cheaper entry point...that may change now.

Going forward, Sony has a lot to look forward to for the Playstation 3 console in '08:

1. Blu-Ray will become the sole next-gen format.

2. The lineup of games looks incredible in '08 and it speaks to the North American audience -- the one market they need to capture back so desperately.

3. Home and PSN should become a heck of a lot better, and free to boot.

I think Sony is poised for a comeback in NA. If they can manage to drop the price next holiday season to $299, that may be the magic price point for many, and Blu-Ray being the real format now, it may push a ton of people over to their side.

Loudninja

Liara T'Soni said:
I honestly could care less about any of this....but to be honest, Michael Bay has acted like a fucking child throughout this entire thing, and I honestly don't think he is a good enough director to even have an opinion worth as much attention as he does.

ok......?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Snah said:
I think this has huge implications for the Playstation 3. Some people were sitting out the HD war, waiting for a victor...others were not going to bother getting a Playstation 3 because of the HD-DVD add on as a cheaper alternative...

Now that Blu-Ray has, for all intents and purposes, won the battle, this basically strengthens one of the pillars of the Playstation 3's strategy.

People that were sitting out will now be more inclined to purchase a Playstation 3...those that wanted a cheaper alternative will still have to wait if they truly were that cheap to begin with, but they may now be more inclined to pick up a PS3 because the cheaper alternative turned out to not be the best. These folks still want high def content, they just were more inclined to pick up the cheaper entry point...that may change now.

Going forward, Sony has a lot to look forward to for the Playstation 3 console in '08:

1. Blu-Ray will become the sole next-gen format.

2. The lineup of games looks incredible in '08 and it speaks to the North American audience -- the one market they need to capture back so desperately.

3. Home and PSN should become a heck of a lot better, and free to boot.

I think Sony is poised for a comeback in NA. If they can manage to drop the price next holiday season to $299, that may be the magic price point for many, and Blu-Ray being the real format now, it may push a ton of people over to their side.

Only one of those will be as a direct result of blu-ray being the default format, but the rest are still possible with or without blu-rays success.

Azrael

Vashu said:
Not to mention 300 which the smartguy has for his avatar as already stated.

And speaking of Batman Begins, I hope they will finally release Batman Begins on Blu-Ray. Why is it taking so long?! :(

When Warner Brothers went from being HD DVD exclusive to neutral, there was a gentleman's agreement between Toshiba and Warner Brother execs like Steve Nickerson that they would release some movies exclusively on HD DVD. The 1.0 profile was just an excuse -- if they were waiting for 1.1, they wouldn't have released movies like 300 and Blood Diamond on Blu-ray.

Now that the old guard of HD DVD leaning execs are out of the picture, it's just a matter of timing. Supposedly, Batman Begins will be coming in May to capitalize on the theatrical release of The Dark Knight, while others like The Matrix won't be released until next Christmas. Some of the classic films like Robin Hood and Casablanca may not be released on Blu-ray at all for the foreseeable future because they were flops on HD DVD.

Snah

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Only one of those will be as a direct result of blu-ray being the default format, but the rest are still possible with or without blu-rays success.

But I think the convergence of all three points will really speak volumes to consumers interested in the product; the validity of blu-ray makes the Playstation 3 package as a whole a heck of a lot more appealing...especially with one of the biggest titles of the year -- The Dark Knight -- being blu-ray exclusive. I think that, at the early stages, the PS3 was pushing blu-ray, but now in the next year I truly think that you will see blu-ray push the PS3.

ndiicm

DrXym said:
I think Microsoft has been standoffish about HD DVD since the beginning. They appear content to prolong the war to their own ends but not actually get too close that they get dragged down with HD DVD. They should have put an HD DVD drive in the Elite model if they were committed to the format. That might really have turned the tables.

One of the CES rumours that was floating around was MS were going to licence the 360 out to other companies. I expect that if HD DVD did appear it would be in some Toshiba branded "powered by XBox 360" putting all the risk on Tosh if it crashed and burned.

The HD DVD camp yanked their press conference so maybe this was what they were going to announce and now have second thoughts. Maybe even Tosh is ready to throw in the towel and not throw good money after bad.

I'm still trying to get over it over the Warner announcement. This stupid war has been going on for so long that it's hard to think there may at last be an end in sight. Let's hope no more studios play musical chairs and the end really is coming.

...but do you think microsoft was capable of building an elite with the hd-drive built in and still have met their launch deadline. I mean they missed the ship at the initial launch and a later elite launch might have made them even harder to move/sell.

The xbox360 elite was basically just a revised xbox360 board. They threw in hdmi 1.2 and eventually started producing one configuration. The only difference turned out to be the over priced hard drive and black case. All ready plagued with the shoddy manufacturing problems rrod, scratched disks, flimsy drive tray etc. I bet trying to throw in hd-dvd would have been a tough task for microsoft a company who makes money selling the windows software brand.

The overly proprietized nature of the system is a major turn off as well. I also think that's why the ps3 is outselling it worldwide.

FF_VIII

Banned
evilone said:

Bay

Make it happen!

Eteric Rice

Snah said:
But I think the convergence of all three points will really speak volumes to consumers interested in the product; the validity of blu-ray makes the Playstation 3 package as a whole a heck of a lot more appealing...especially with one of the biggest titles of the year -- The Dark Knight -- being blu-ray exclusive. I think that, at the early stages, the PS3 was pushing blu-ray, but now in the next year I truly think that you will see blu-ray push the PS3.

I think for the most part that the people who aren't gamers will just buy a normal blu-ray player.

I also think that a stand alone blu-ray player will likely be cheaper than a PS3 next year.

It may help get them second place over the 360, though. Hard to say, especially considering that they're dealing with MS. And we have to consider that Blu-ray isn't hyped up like DVD was. Same with the PS3.

ndiicm

mr_bishiuk said:
I dont think the blu ray drive is Ken's baby, the Cell is though

you are right but people thought he was mad for sticking with bluray. I remember all the bashing by the 'blogs' and Co. the ps3 and Katuragi received. None mentioning that hey the ps3 might actually benefit from the extra storage space and why not if you have this thing connected to your high def Display should you not have the option to play high def content. I mean the ps2 played dvd right and the dreamcast didn't. So it was an incentive to buy a ps2. Who wants 20 devices connected to their TV when you can have one?

When I heard the ps3 supported a high capacity HD disk I thought, wow that's cool and imagined games like shadow of the colossus but with a more detailed and massively huge high definition world. I just thought of bigger better games.

I am the last to want to stick up for a mega corp like sony but you gotta hand it to them. They have a good track record and they built the ps3 like a tank. I had to give them the benefit of the doubt here. So far can't say I'm disappointed.

Dante

AzureNightmareXE said:

*Looks @ AzureNightmareXE avatar....This is the thread that keeps on giving.

spwolf

now Sony has to market better how awesome PS3 is... Ken really did nothing wrong - it is their marketing departments that did not market the unit properly. It is pretty hard to market something that does Everything.

duk

Banned
spwolf said:
now Sony has to market better how awesome PS3 is... Ken really did nothing wrong - it is their marketing departments that did not market the unit properly. It is pretty hard to market something that does Everything.

joke post?

scitek

evilone said:

Bay

Bay's such a smug, cocksucking hack. I can't stand that guy. (I love movies and to see his garbage succeed wildly at the box-office makes me insanely jealous and furious at the same time.) He completely ripped off Logan's Run (it was already made for him thirty years earlier!!!), and it STILL managed to suck. Transformers is the first watchable movie he's made since The Rock, IMO.

spwolf

duk said:
joke post?

about what? If PS3 wasnt as it was, I would never buy one. I watch a lot of movies and play games. If they didnt have BD player, I probably wouldnt have bought it until it was super cheap. Thats me of course.

Eteric Rice

spwolf said:
about what? If PS3 wasnt as it was, I would never buy one. I watch a lot of movies and play games. If they didnt have BD player, I probably wouldnt have bought it until it was super cheap. Thats me of course.

The "Ken did nothing wrong" part was what was wrong. Not your liking of what the PS3 offers. :D

He said things he shouldn't have said way back when. Then again, he tends to over promise sometimes.

scitek

spwolf said:

On the fucking contrary, I bought a PS3 over a 360 back in May figuring they were both going to offer the same gaming experience, but the added Blu-ray support would make it a better deal. I've regretted it ever since from a gaming standpoint. My little brother got a 360 for Christmas and he brought it over the other day, and I'll be god damned if I didn't have more fun over one night with that thing than I've had combined with the PS3. (We played Lost Planet, Forza 2, Gears of War, Halo 3, Bioshock, and The Orange Box.) CoD4's thankfully remedied that somewhat, but one fucking game does not a library make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom