• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

Eteric Rice said:
The "Ken did nothing wrong" part was what was wrong. Not your liking of what the PS3 offers. :D

He said things he shouldn't have said way back when. Then again, he tends to over promise sometimes.

yeah, but if it wasnt for Ken, we probably wouldnt have BD included standard.

Maybe it would be better for Sony if PS3 was $400 at launch, but that doesnt make it better for me. From my standpoint, I like getting $250 worth of stuff for free :).

I could care less about some crazy remarks that he made.

spwolf

scitek said:
On the fucking contrary, I bought a PS3 over a 360 back in May figuring they were both going to offer the same gaming experience, but the added Blu-ray support would make it a better deal. I've regretted it ever since from a gaming standpoint. My little brother got a 360 for Christmas and he brought it over the other day, and I'll be god damned if I didn't have more fun over one night with that thing than I've had combined with the PS3. (We played Lost Planet, Forza 2, Gears of War, Halo 3, Bioshock, and The Orange Box.) CoD4's thankfully remedied that somewhat, but one fucking game does not a library make.

what? You think COD4 is only game out on PS3? :lol

Among many others, Warhawk, GT5P, UT3, Uncharted are ones that are must haves... among many others.

Liara T'Soni said:
I honestly could care less about any of this....but to be honest, Michael Bay has acted like a fucking child throughout this entire thing, and I honestly don't think he is a good enough director to even have an opinion worth as much attention as he does.
You got to give him cred for being a whistle blower, takes some guts to be that.

BTW what do you think is the reason that Spielbergs movies are not HD-DVD exclusive though they are under the Paramount/Dreamworks umbrella?
Do you think Spielberg is a good enough director to have an opinion that counts?

Doc Evils

RIP HD-DVD.

Just the other day HD-DVD fanboys spreading shit were all high horse warner would go their side.

With the rumours of Apple using Blu-ray for their new Macs, it's game over yo.:D

painful fart said:
You got to give him cred for being a whistle blower, takes some guts to be that.

Sure maybe, but he had a straight up, gaf-esque, internet meltdown the day after his movie was going to HD-DVD....I believe he even "stealth edited" his post a few hours later.

BTW what do you think is the reason that Spielbergs [/I]movies are not HD-DVD exclusive though they are under the Paramount/Dreamworks umbrella?
Do you think Spielberg is a good enough director to have an opinion that counts?

I have don't have a big problem with anyone taking sides, it's their industry, I was merely pointing out that Michael Bay acted exactly as I would expect a 13 year old nerdy child to over this, and that his movies are indeed, rather bad.

Like I said, I don't have the HD-add on, no PS3/blu-ray player, and really could care less about a tech "war", I just can't see how a 40 something year old man could be so Gamefaqish about it.

ndiicm

spwolf said:
I could care less about some crazy remarks that he made.

People forget that the guy is an engineer first of all not a spokes person. Secondly English isn't even his first language (barely his second) . Half of what he says is lost in translation. But the blogs got hits by trying to make a war out of everything (nothing) and the prepubescent kids just followed right along :lol

Riddick

scitek said:
On the fucking contrary, I bought a PS3 over a 360 back in May figuring they were both going to offer the same gaming experience, but the added Blu-ray support would make it a better deal. I've regretted it ever since from a gaming standpoint. My little brother got a 360 for Christmas and he brought it over the other day, and I'll be god damned if I didn't have more fun over one night with that thing than I've had combined with the PS3. (We played Lost Planet, Forza 2, Gears of War, Halo 3, Bioshock, and The Orange Box.) CoD4's thankfully remedied that somewhat, but one fucking game does not a library make.

You sound bitter and very angry at this announcement so I don't think you're telling us the whole truth. Sleep over it and you might even start remembering other PS3 games. :p

scitek

spwolf said:
what? You think COD4 is only game out on PS3? :lol

Among many others, Warhawk, GT5P, UT3, Uncharted are ones that are must haves... among many others.

I picked up CoD4 last week and have been playing the shit out of it, but still, 7-10 games isn't much. The games I know of that are highly regarded are Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, UT3, Warhawk, Resistance...and I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but I can at least triple that number off the top of my head when it comes to 360 games.

I'm not saying the PS3 doesn't have ANY good games, just that it's clearly not the system to own if you're interested in gaming first. It's sad that the Blu-ray drive only makes it ALMOST as good a buy as the 360 instead of making it a hell of a much better buy than the 360. (Custom soundtracks is another HUGE leg-up the 360 has on the PS3.)

Anyway, it's nice that we might have a single format soon, but Blu-ray is still selling so poorly that it might already be too late for HDM to ever have a chance at replacing DVD as the standard. I think HD pay-per-view will probably be the way most people go in the future because the truth is that 1080i, 10Mbps video streams with 384kbps, 5.1 channel audio are more than enough for most people to enjoy.

:(

spwolf

Liara T'Soni said:
I have don't have a big problem with anyone taking sides, it's their industry, I was merely pointing out that Michael Bay acted exactly as I would expect a 13 year old nerdy child to over this, and that his movies are indeed, rather bad.

Like I said, I don't have the HD-add on, no PS3/blu-ray player, and really could care less about a tech "war", I just can't see how a 40 something year old man could be so Gamefaqish about it.

I dont really care about Bay, but I give him props for caring. If you are in the movie industry then you should care about movie industry.

There is nothing worse for me than some big ass director or actor saying how they dont actually watch movies or tv, as if they are somehow above what they do for living. Thats such bullshit.

smurfx

get some go again
damn i wonder what the BDA has up their sleeves for CES. imagine if new line announced the lotr trilogy to be released on blu ray. dream scenario is universal announcing they are neutral now and then spielberg coming on and anouncing that all of his movies will be coming to blu ray exclusively. won't happen but it would be great if it did. :D

wow, i'm not getting this thread at all. Warner is dual supporting both formats until may. Then just go bluray afterwards....Whats the impact here for the hd era? If warner didn't supported neither format THEN supported bluray, that would be a big deal. But something tells me that the mainstream won't catch on.

topsyturvy said:
wow, i'm not getting this thread at all. Warner is dual supporting both formats until may. Then just go bluray afterwards....Whats the impact here for the hd era? If warner didn't supported neither format THEN supported bluray, that would be a big deal. But something tells me that the mainstream won't catch on.
HD-DVD releases of Warner movies are supposedly being delayed until after the BR release from now until the end of the contract

xsarien

daedsiluap
topsyturvy said:

It means that after May 2008 the only studios supporting HD-DVD will be Paramount and Universal, and don't expect that to last too long if the studio lawyers have anything to say about it.

Timbuktu

topsyturvy said:

of course the possibility remains that neither will become mainstream

B-Ri

scitek said:
I picked up CoD4 last week and have been playing the shit out of it, but still, 7-10 games isn't much. The games I know of that are highly regarded are Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, UT3, Warhawk, Resistance...and I can't think of any more off the top of my head, but I can at least triple that number off the top of my head when it comes to 360 games.

waitwaitwaitwait wait

7-10 must have games for a console thats been barely out for a year ISNT ENOUGH?!

name these TRIPLE 360 games, because wow i sure dont own them, and i have 360 games i wish i hadnt settled for.

topsyturvy said:
source? because that doesn't sound right.

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008.

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1700383,00.html

Basically BR/DVD going to get special treatment from here onto May as far as early releases and then once May hits its all BR/DVD.

xsarien said:
It means that after May 2008 the only studios supporting HD-DVD will be Paramount and Universal, and don't expect that to last too long if the studio lawyers have anything to say about it.
your assuming that hd-dvd gonna let those studios go? why?

topsyturvy said:

You haven't read the mainstream media news stories on this event, I take it?

Here's a sample from two of the biggest, most influential newspapers in the USA:

From the New York Times. First line in the article...

The high-definition DVD war is all but over.

From the LA Times. Headline, "DVD format war appears to be over" First Quote in story...

"Expect HD DVD to die a quick death," said Richard Greenfield, an analyst with Pali Research in New York

The mainstream will read stuff like that in the papers, and they'll probably catch on.

LowParry

topsyturvy said:

When you see commercials that say "Only on BR" then yeah, the mainstream may just get an idea. Not to mention large advertisements through retail chains such as Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

CcrooK said:
When you see commercials that say "Only on BR" then yeah, the mainstream may just get an idea. Not to mention large advertisements through retail chains such as Best Buy or Wal-Mart.
If the commercial still says "...and DVD", they wont care...

But for HD DVD, of course, it will be soon over.

topsyturvy said:
i was referring to darkresurrection post about holding hddvd movies until the bluray movies. :/

They're going to be delaying the titles on HDDVD which is what darkresurrection said. They're going to be released on BR/DVD on their scheduled date and then sometime later they'll release a HDDVD version. Once May hits though they'll stop making HDDVD movies and go BR/DVD only.

topsyturvy said:
i was referring to darkresurrection post about holding hddvd movies until the bluray movies. :/
I probably phrased it a bit wrong, I meant that until they go BR only the HD-DVD releases of movies will come out after the BR release. Sorry for the confusion:D

patsu

My "noobish" friend who bought a HD DVD player during Christmas is already packing it up for returns. He's going to exchange it for store credit towards a PS3.

B-Ri

Hellraizer said:
If the commercial still says "...and DVD", they wont care...

just like they didnt care when commercials still said "on VHS or DVD"

stop this bullshit argument please.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
For what is worth an italian publisher just started selling Blu-Ray movies at italian newsstands at 20Euros each.

95-1g.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TTP said:
For what is worth an italian publisher just started selling Blu-Ray movies at italian newsstands at 20Euros each.

95-1g.jpg

Uhm... not such high quality material though (well, maybe FF4 rises a bit on top compard to the others but TLoEG sucks... a lot...)...

It is interesting though... I never expected to see Blu-Ray movies sold at newsstands so early in the format's life.

Pristine_Condition said:
The mainstream will read stuff like that in the papers, and they'll probably catch on.

1) Hddvd will still coexist for the time being. Not only that, its likely that big 07 holiday movies from warner home video such as i am legend will still hit hddvd in the time period.

2) mainstream couldn't give two shits towards this.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Panajev2001a said:
Uhm... not such high quality material though (well, maybe FF4 rises a bit on top compard to the others but TLoEG sucks... a lot...)...

of course. it's just the beginning tho.

Riddick said:
Dude, they even cancelled their CES conference. What do you expect?

There is no logic in this thread anymore.
they cancelled their CES conference because they gonna let the studios go? you're right, there is no logic here. :/

scitek

B-Ri said:
waitwaitwaitwait wait

7-10 must have games for a console thats been barely out for a year ISNT ENOUGH?!

name these TRIPLE 360 games, because wow i sure dont own them, and i have 360 games i wish i hadnt settled for.

I didn't say 7-10 "must-have" games, I said "highly regarded" as in worth playing through. The only "must-haves" I know of are Ratchet and Clank and Resistance.

The 360 games I know of that are worth playing through are PGR3, PGR4, Forza 2, Halo 3, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Condemned, Saint's Row, Crackdown...and that's as far as I can get of the top of my head again. Is that triple the number of PS3 games I know? :lol

All that's not even counting the cross-platform titles that are, for whatever unknown, inexplicable reason, better on the 360 than on the PS3. (The Orange Box, GRAW 1&2, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Virtua Fighter 5 -- pretty much every game except Oblivion, CoD4 and the Burnout Paradise demo from what I understand.)

B-Ri said:
just like they didnt care when commercials still said "on VHS or DVD"

stop this bullshit argument please.
:lol

dvd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hddvd/bluray

this is why YOUR argument fails.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
scitek said:
I didn't say 7-10 "must-have" games, I said "highly regarded" as in worth playing through. The only "must-haves" I know of are Ratchet and Clank and Resistance.

Uncharted, Warhawk and some random PSN stuff as well.

-viper-

Banned
scitek said:

I'm not saying the PS3 doesn't have ANY good games, just that it's clearly not the system to own if you're interested in gaming first. It's sad that the Blu-ray drive only makes it ALMOST as good a buy as the 360 instead of making it a hell of a much better buy than the 360. (Custom soundtracks is another HUGE leg-up the 360 has on the PS3.)

Anyway, it's nice that we might have a single format soon, but Blu-ray is still selling so poorly that it might already be too late for HDM to ever have a chance at replacing DVD as the standard. I think HD pay-per-view will probably be the way most people go in the future because the truth is that 1080i, 10Mbps video streams with 384kbps, 5.1 channel audio are more than enough for most people to enjoy.

Triple the number of games on the 360? I'm expecting to hear a list of 21 'good' games which are not out on the PS3 at the moment.

B-Ri

scitek said:

The 360 games I know of that are worth playing through are PGR3, PGR4, Forza 2, Halo 3, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Condemned, Saint's Row, Crackdown...and that's as far as I can get of the top of my head again. Is that triple the number of PS3 games I know? :lol

All that's not even counting the cross-platform titles that are, for whatever unknown, inexplicable reason, better on the 360 than on the PS3. (The Orange Box, GRAW 1&2, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Virtua Fighter 5 -- pretty much every game except Oblivion, CoD4 and the Burnout Paradise demo from what I understand.)

uhhh, warhawk and uncharted are not on that list, your list is incredibly flawed.

PGR3 and 4 arent that hot. Forza 2 did nothign for me. At $30 Halo 3 is still my most regretted purchase, lost planet is coming to ps3, even then i never did beat it, i love dead rising but i hit a wall and couldnt beat it, i absolutely loved bioshock, mass effect was a dissapointment (the reason i bought a 360, and it didnt deliver), never touched condemned and saints row and crackdown are overhyped.

orange box should be played where it should always be placed, PC. Graw 2 is on ps3 and its not a lousy port. NEver was a fan of splinter cell, and ive already had virtua fighter 5 for MONTHS now.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The Bookerman said:
Is this a first for a Sony-developped format to win?

a) It's not a Sony developed format fcs
b) Sony was involved in DVD and CD formats as well. So I'd say no, this is not a first.

pswii60

This thread has unsurprisingly derailed.

Going back to the OP, this is a bigger boon to Blu-Ray than it is to the PS3. The Wii is selling like gangbusters without even a DVD drive, and Blu-Ray player prices are dropping. Many people (ie the mainstream) will rather have a standalone under their TV than use the PS3 - I mean how many people really ever ended up using their PS2 as their primary DVD player?

Having said that, I'm happy as I only have Blu-Ray via the PS3 and I didn't fancy buying the HDDVD drive for my 360. On the down side, two of my mates just bought an HDDVD drive for Christmas - even after I warned them something like that would happen and advised them to put their pennies towards a PS3 instead. Some people just don't listen :lol

kitch9

Banned
scitek said:

I laugh when people moan about buying a 6 month old console. How many games do you expect them to magic up?

I remember the first 10 months of owning my 360 was pretty fucking bad too, till Gears tipped up. Then things picked up slowly after that. The PS3 is no different, and maybe actually better in some regards....

Fady K

TTP said:
a) It's not a Sony developed format fcs
b) Sony was involved in DVD and CD formats as well. So I'd say no, this is not a first.

Sony's backing of Blu-Ray is a lot different than their backing for any other format aside their own UMD and Beta-Mex though.

topsyturvy said:
1) Hddvd will still coexist for the time being. Not only that, its likely that big 07 holiday movies from warner home video such as i am legend will still hit hddvd in the time period.

...only if they release before mid-2008. And even if they do, the Blu-ray and DVD versions will come out first.

topsyturvy said:
2) mainstream couldn't give two shits towards this.

The mainstream reads newspapers like the New York Times and LA Times. And those influential newspapers influence other newspapers. In fact, that New York Times article I quoted is on the wires to be published in other papers throughout the USA.

When they open their paper and see that HD HVD is basically being pronounced as DOA, and Blu-ray is being pronounced the heir apparent, they are going to notice.

You may bury your head in the sand, don't assume others will follow your lead though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom