• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vashu

JCBossman said:
Does ANY BLUBOY believe for a second if it WAS NOT for the PS3 Blu would have lost BIGTIME?

I think there are certainly people out there, blatant fanboys, that think the PS3's 'succes' is the reason. But seeing as I've kept up with both 'wars', I don't think it has a lot to do with it. At least not on the scale of the PS2 aiding the mass acceptation of DVD. It's a small contributing factor, but BR-players on their own are selling on a bigger scale than expected.

I'd say the PS3 has as much to do with the succes of BRD as the HD-DVD add-on for the X360 had for the HD-DVD. Not a lot.

JCBossman

Banned
Pistolero said:
Euh...I think that was the very plan indeed. You're starting to sound like a scratched disk, no offense...

Ok than that's ALL I'm saying, the PS3 single handled won this for Blu. Without the PS3 the sales of Blu SA's Vs HD DVD SA's would have been a serious victory for HD DVD.Congrats Blu for a Better Strategy.

sinnergy

Vashu said:
I think there are certainly people out there, blatant fanboys, that think the PS3's 'succes' is the reason. But seeing as I've kept up with both 'wars', I don't think it has a lot to do with it. At least not on the scale of the PS2 aiding the mass acceptation of DVD. It's a small contributing factor, but BR-players on their own are selling on a bigger scale than expected.

I'd say the PS3 has as much to do with the succes of BRD as the HD-DVD add-on for the X360 had for the HD-DVD. Not a lot.

And I would say you are dead wrong. If it was not for PS3 having a BD-drive BD and HD-dvd would have both flopped.

People who have a PS3 pick up BD's faster than HD-DVD's just because they can play them standard on their PS3. It's that simple imo.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
since this is supposed to be a gaming thread, and we've stumbled around to the topic: ps3 has won the format war for sony. that much is clear. this may or may not benefit ps3 in return, but if it doesn't -- would that still be a good trade for sony? cede your console marketshare to establish a high definition movie format? i don't know anything about the economics of it, but i wonder if sony had some such contingency in mind when they released a $600 console

nofi

Francias Castiglione said:
Thread size on GAF isn't particularly indicative of the real world to be fair.

Or the quality of the news. Which in this case is great for EVERYONE in the long run, regardless of the 'side' you're on. Unless you work for Toshiba, in which case you're fucked.

Just kidding.

Pistolero

I think, if BR indeed confirms its victory beyond doubt, that it will benefit Sony in marketing its machine as the ultimate high-tech plateform. Not to say sales will increase dramatically, but chance is that some people, who were undecided as to which HD medium to pick, may chose a good option in an all-in-one solution.

drohne said:
since this is supposed to be a gaming thread, and we've stumbled around to the topic: ps3 has won the format war for sony. that much is clear. this may or may not benefit ps3 in return, but if it doesn't -- would that still be a good trade for sony? cede your console marketshare to establish a high definition movie format? i don't know anything about the economics of it, but i wonder if sony had some such contingency in mind when they released a $600 console

It would be nice for someone to calculate this stuff, even though it would be a very rough guess at best. In my opinion, the sales of Blu-Ray will bring in more profits than a winning console in the generation could.

Vashu

sinnergy said:
And I would say you are dead wrong. If it was not for PS3 having a BD-drive BD and HD-dvd would have both flopped.

People who have a PS3 pick up BD's faster than HD-DVD's just because they can play them standard on their PS3. It's that simple imo.

Microsoft's plan all-together right?

It's a contributing factor as I already said and I don't deny that, but not that big as one would believe to expect. The sales of stand-alone BRD players are going up, and I don't think they'd factor in the PS3 into those numbers since it's primarily being sold as a gaming (or entertainment device if you really want to nitpick) machine by a gaming company, although others tend to believe otherwise.

JCBossman

Banned
nofi said:
Or the quality of the news. Which in this case is great for EVERYONE in the long run, regardless of the 'side' you're on. Unless you work for Toshiba, in which case you're fucked.

Just kidding.

Or Paramount:D

Vashu said:

I disagree. The marketshare of both HD-DVD and Blu ray movies is still guite low. A few million PS3's sold is probably having a huge impact on the amount of Blu ray disks being sold. I don't know the marketshare of the PS3 compared to standalone Bluray players but I think it is significant.

Francias Castiglione said:
Thread size on GAF isn't particularly indicative of the real world to be fair.

True (although some people here from either side would say otherwise), but I'm still seeing the Warner news everywhere on the Internet.

JCBossman

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
I dissagree. The marketshare of both HD-DVD and Blu ray movies is still guite low. A few million PS3's sold is probably having a huge impact on the amount of Blu ray disks being sold.

Of course it is... PS3 most likely counts for upwards of 80% of TOTAL Blu sales.

I blame MS and Toshiba themselves for systematically ending HDDVD. MS along with Tosh could have introduced internal HDDVD player with the 360 at its launch. Could have had the elite there day one with hddvd sku that plays just the movies. DVD9's could have still been used for games. They drop the ball. Could of had the core, premium and elite w/ hddvd player at the 05 launch and put alot of hddvd players in homes. I blame em both.

nofi

mr_bishiuk said:
I guess Paramount must be well annoyed with their $150m. After the period runs out they can just release their catalogue on blu ray anyway no harm done!

When is that?

3rdman

drohne said:
I've said just that all along. They don't seem to give a rats ass about the console race when they are dominating the Next-Gen format. Royalties from that are going to keep the company in the black for the next 20 years...who gives a shit about games? ...oh and OT.

cilonen

mr_bishiuk said:
I guess Paramount must be well annoyed with their $150m. After the period runs out they can just release their catalogue on blu ray anyway no harm done!

It's also only for US exclusivity - we're still getting Paramount Blu Ray movies in Europe.

3rdman

Revelations said:
I blame MS and Toshiba themselves for systematically ending HDDVD. MS along with Tosh could have introduced internal HDDVD player with the 360 at its launch. Could have had the elite there day one with hddvd sku that plays just the movies. DVD9's could have still been used for games. They drop the ball. Could of had the core, premium and elite w/ hddvd player at the 05 launch. I blame em both.
I don't know if they could have had it at launch but I agree that they should have introduced the Elite with the launch of the PS3 with an included HD DVD. That would have been interesting.

JCBossman

Banned
Revelations said:
I blame MS and Toshiba themselves for systematically ending HDDVD. MS along with Tosh could have introduced internal HDDVD player with the 360 at its launch. Could have had the elite there day one with hddvd sku that plays just the movies. DVD9's could have still been used for games. They drop the ball. Could of had the core, premium and elite w/ hddvd player at the 05 launch. I blame em both.

I do too, Microsoft was trying to "Support" HD DVD on the cheap, well NOW they can pay Sony...I hope they like to get bent over...

Vashu

nofi said:
When is that?

Somewhere around november or december I guess. Correction: It was for 18 months indeed.

Oh, and JCBossman. You're a cool guy, but you need to cool off and take a break. You're way too invested in this now, and it's not doing any good.

@Pjotr, I'm not saying it has nothing to do with it. I'm only saying that people tend to overestimate the impact the PS3 had on BRD sales. There are a lot of gamers out there that only bought the machine to play games. There are a lot more people who bought a new HD TV and wanted to watch some good movies and purchased a BR-player just because they can.

The prices are dropping, and the deals they had in America (which did not include the PS3) were of a more contributing factor than the PS3.

cilonen said:
It's also only for US exclusivity - we're still getting Paramount Blu Ray movies in Europe.

True, but not all of them. See Transformers. Silent Hill has been released on HD-DVD in Germany too. It all has to do with the licencee-holder and distributor for that particular country.

deepbrown

bud said:
saying a company doesn't want to earn money because they already have ''plenty'' of it, is the stupidest thing i've read in this thread--and that's an amazing feat.
My comment was not serious buddy boy. Especially when their decision makes more financial sense whether they were paid or not.

spwolf

Vashu said:

You do realize that >90% of BD players sold accross the world are PS3's? On the other hand, addon sold 15x-20x less.

So yeah, you are very wrong.

If not for PS3 lowering the price of BD drives, HD-DVD would easily walked over BD camp. At any point of time, HD-DVD players were 2x and sometimes up to 4x cheaper. There were at least 2x more standalone players sold on HD-DVD side and yet for the year, we will have around 65% BD software sales in USA and >90% in rest of the world.

JCBossman

Banned
Vashu said:
Somewhere around november or december I guess.

Oh, and JCBossman. You're a cool guy, but you need to cool off and take a break. You're way too invested in this now, and it's not doing any good.

@Pjotr, I'm not saying it has nothing to do with it. I'm only saying that people tend to overestimate the impact the PS3 had on BRD sales. There are a lot of gamers out there that only bought the machine to play games. There are a lot more people who bought a new HD TV and wanted to watch some good movies and purchased a BR-player just because they can.

The prices are dropping, and the deals they had in America (which did not include the PS3) were of a more contributing factor than the PS3.

Yeah,I just hate this gloating thats going on, this shit ain't allowed in NPD threads...Why here? See you guys and i guess I AM at some point going to HAVE to buy a PS3:D

3rdman said:
I don't know if they could have had it at launch but I agree that they should have introduced the Elite with the launch of the PS3 with an included HD DVD. That would have been interesting.

I do think they could have had it at launch. It would have been wayy above the premium 's price but it would have still been a viable options. Probably would have went for $550 or something like that as hddvd players were a bit cheaper to produce than blu ray players. MS with their silent HDDVD campaign and Toshiba not being hard enough on the marketing. They could have put millions of HDDVD players in homes. Assholes.

nofi

Vashu said:
True, but not all of them. See Transformers. Silent Hill has been released on HD-DVD in Germany too. It all has to do with the licencee-holder and distributor for that particular country.

That's why I was confused, I guess I'll have to search around European sites for my Blu-ray fix at the moment, then. Thanks.

Vashu

spwolf said:
You do realize that >90% of BD players sold accross the world are PS3's? On the other hand, addon sold 15x-20x less.

So yeah, you are very wrong.

If not for PS3 lowering the price of BD drives, HD-DVD would easily walked over BD camp. At any point of time, HD-DVD players were 2x and sometimes up to 4x cheaper. There were at least 2x more standalone players sold on HD-DVD side and yet for the year, we will have around 65% BD software sales in USA and >90% in rest of the world.

Wait, what?

I can clearly recall that it was stated numerous times that sales of standalone BR player were more than HD-DVD ones for the last few months. Those players could have more impact on the total sales of BRD's than the PS3 probably had.

JCBossman said:
Yeah,I just hate this gloating thats going on, this shit ain't allowed in NPD threads...Why here? See you guys and i guess I AM at some point going to HAVE to buy a PS3:D

I agree with you on the gloating, I find it obnoxious too.

That's why I hate fanboys, they're so frackin annoying.

cilonen

Vashu said:

Yep it's this. I know we got Shooter on BD, I had heard people on AVS saying that was not coming out in the US - but for 'blockbusters' like Shrek 3 and Transformers Paramount retain worldwide distribution rights, so aren't putting them out.

JCBossman said:
I do too, Microsoft was trying to "Support" HD DVD on the cheap, well NOW they can pay Sony...I hope they like to get bent over...

Actually the BR Association is paying MS for use of their code in the blu ray discs themselves. MS was benefitting from both formats. Maybe thats why they didnt give a crap about hddvd.

Joe211

Revelations said:
Actually the BR Association is paying MS for use of their code in the blu ray discs themselves. MS was benefitting from both formats. Maybe thats why they didnt give a crap about hddvd.
BS

Vashu

Revelations said:

Which code? Java? :lol

llTll

Banned
JCBossman said:
Ok than that's ALL I'm saying, the PS3 single handled won this for Blu. Without the PS3 the sales of Blu SA's Vs HD DVD SA's would have been a serious victory for HD DVD.Congrats Blu for a Better Strategy.

this alone shows how Sony was smart by packing up the Blue Ray to the PS3.

one could debate whatever the PS3 would be cheaper if it didnt have Blue Ray. but they won the format war. thats big deal to Sony as well.

Second said:
if if if

If we had our nose upside down, we'd drown in the shower!

:lol

JCBossman said:

same way Sony Pay Microsoft for Windows on Vaio laptops??

the world doesnt run around videogames . there is other businesses in the world.

Sony pay MS here, MS pay Sony there. wtf is wrong with you people.

Vashu said:
I think there are certainly people out there, blatant fanboys, that think the PS3's 'succes' is the reason. But seeing as I've kept up with both 'wars', I don't think it has a lot to do with it.
If you did keep up, you must know that HD-DVD stand-alone players and movie sales outsold bluray by a significant amount before the PS3 arrived.
The launch of the PS3 end 2006 was a turning point. Within a few months Bluray sales picked up and caught up TOTAL HD-DVD sales. I doubt that Bluray would have won the format war without the PS3. The PS3 as a troyan horse, allowed sony to make exclusivity deals with Disney and other studios in the first place.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
cilonen said:
Yep it's this. I know we got Shooter on BD, I had heard people on AVS saying that was not coming out in the US - but for 'blockbusters' like Shrek 3 and Transformers Paramount retain worldwide distribution rights, so aren't putting them out.

I rented Shooter from Netflix on BD here in the US....so I'm pretty sure it was released here and not some import they had.

Revelations said:

Dont say that lol, let them have there one up:lol. I love how this hd media format war has made its way into the console wars. I reckon its plastic wars next who makes the better console plastic.

cilonen

Beatbox said:
I rented Shooter from Netflix on BD here in the US....so I'm pretty sure it was released here and not some import they had.

Ah, cool. I may have got this all mixed up then. I was sure I read on AVS that the paramount deal was for the US only, but that could well have been fanboy FUD. Sorry for confusion caused.

The different distribution rights issue for different countries does happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom