• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So has anyone just been soloing this game? I have don't have much people who play this on my xbox list, so far it's enjoyable i might play with a few randoms just to experience the coop side of things.

So has anyone just been soloing this game? I have don't have much people who play this on my xbox list, so far it's enjoyable i might play with a few randoms just to experience the coop side of things.

Im playing solo (on PC).

Everytime I play a game for the first time, i like to solo it, to really take in everything.

after, I will pick a 2nd character (probably Axton) and do co-op.

mug

My friends Borderlands 2 Steam copy doesn't seem to work. He starts it up and then it fails to launch. "Playing Borderlands 2" then nothing. He's verified countless times - reinstalled .NET from all sources - also redownloaded the game and still no luck... Any idea?

marrec

Banned

Soloing right now, was able to put about 3 hours in yesterday and everyone who's saying it's like Borderlands but better is correct. The guns feel fantastic this time around.

The Solo experience thus far has been pretty much the same as my solo experience with BL1, except this time around I get to see who on my friends list is doing what, and what level they are, and what character they're playing. The PC multiplayer actually makes me want to play with other people now.

I faced off against two Badass Adult Bullywogs and were it not for my explosive pistol would have bit the dust so hard.

I like playing solo first because my friends just want to rush from mission to mission and I end up just switching off and not really paying attention to the game at all.

How does loot work in a co-op game? Does everything just drop and the first to the loot gets it?

Ya..about that. It's pretty much a feeding frenzy. Its best to play with a group of friends you trust where you are sharing loot that suits your respective classes.

Some shady vault hunters out there in Pandora.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I like playing solo first because my friends just want to rush from mission to mission and I end up just switching off and not really paying attention to the game at all.

This. Also, I hate how people will snatch up everything in site and cherry pick the loot. It's not fun to see a chest puke out some blue+ quality stuff just to have them take it all and say, "I'll find a use for it."

Cool.

Off-topic, any good wired headset recommendations for use with Steam?

My cheap Walmart set works amazingly well (it's some janky $10-15 Logitech one).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I finally got around to playing for a bit last night after getting home to low-battery hard to reach smoke detector nightmare. Hit 5 on Zer0 and got my cool sneaky assassin skill. I'm really loving the weapon variety. Barely an hour into the game and I have guns that set people on fire, shoot exploding rounds, and other fun stuff.

And yeah, sniping is awesome and feels so appropriate with Zer0. I still have no idea how to build though, I'm thinking the middle tree for now but who knows.

This. Also, I hate how people will snatch up everything in site and cherry pick the loot. It's not fun to see a chest puke out some blue+ quality stuff just to have them take it all and say, "I'll find a use for it."

Cool.

Add that to people skipping ahead, and I'd rather walk 10 miles over broken glass than play the game like this.

I am having difficulty telling the difference between E-Tech and Purples. Anyone have a side by side screen shot? Last night when I was cleaning up my backpack before signing off I think I notice the E-Tech weapons have a pink hue at the top of the main weapon icon in your inventory but not much else noticeable. Why not put a E on the weapon card to make it easier. Pink and Magenta are very hard to distinguish for me in game.

Secondly, is there a cross player "mailbox" where you can leave items in your friends stash? I thought I heard something about that being in the game. I found the banks in Sanctuary but that seems for your own benifit. You have to play this game solo and co-op. I missed so much dialog and tutorial stuff when everyone is just running around trigger different stuff when you first enter Sanctuary.

Lastly, played my first proper 4 player co op session, all with friends on Steam. My god, the chaos and mayhem going on in some of our encounters!! The gun combat in this game is so satisfying and I love the intensity in co op. It seems that once you are full on an ammo type, you can keep picking it up and it will go to your friends. So both money and ammo are group shared. I need to further test, I am not sure if it only goes to friends when your ammo type is full or all ammo equally distributes.

Santiako

I had to turn off PhysX playing Maya because I couldn't see shit whit so much debris flying around. Also, the liquids look worse with it on.

I play it once solo and then jump to coop in NG+.

Ourobolus

Banned
Made it to Sanctuary last night. Sooo goood. The only glitch we had was my friend and I froze when looking at the telescope in Lair's Berg.

Found a nice Legendary revolver with burst fire while zoomed and corrosion damage. Nothing too spectacular, but still pretty good. The guns feel so much better in this game than the previous one.

Finding it hard to click with a class. I know it isn't that huge a deal but I have tried two so far. Zero was cool but his melee didn't seem to do much damage. Axton was kinda cool but meh with the turret. I may try another tonight. Game is fun though and looks great.

Finding it hard to click with a class. I know it isn't that huge a deal but I have tried two so far. Zero was cool but his melee didn't seem to do much damage. Axton was kinda cool but meh with the turret. I may try another tonight. Game is fun though and looks great.

Weapon with +50% melee damage + Deception skill + points in the bloodshed skill tree + meleeing enemies from behind = DEATH ON A STICK (well, ok. Sword! xD)

Palabrah

I'm having an issue where if i play with a controller it doesn't join the server system but if i start up using only the mouse/keyboard it works fine

Thing is weapons with melee modifiers, replace the sword. I dunno if all weapons with melee modifiers do that or only some.

Exactly, but the damage modifiers from the skill and the bloodshed tree stay.

I mean, I think. :p

I wish they would find a way to show us the % improvement as the damage is being done.

Thing is weapons with melee modifiers, replace the sword. I dunno if all weapons with melee modifiers do that or only some.

They all do. It still behaves the same way though. If there's an attack like the back-stab or lunge then the game uses sword, but keep whatever modifier the current weapon in use has.

ParityBit

Ya..about that. It's pretty much a feeding frenzy. Its best to play with a group of friends you trust where you are sharing loot that suits your respective classes.

Some shady vault hunters out there in Pandora.

This is really disheartening. I was playing solo last night, so I did not get a good taste of Diablo 2 style looting.

Started last night (solo) as the phase shift lady. Not sure that was the right decision...since I played the big burly dude in BL1, I wanted a change, but maybe that change should have been Zer0.

Not going to add any spoilers on how you get it but does anyone who has received the Firehawk shield (forget its full name but its unique) feel like they are cheating when it procs? Litterally have based my current game clearing strategy around it.

EDIT: Too anyone curious, what the "proc" is when your shields are depleted, it does a continous AOE pulse attack out to 1000 "game units" that does 500-1000 damage a tick. The pulsing continues basically forever until A.) You Die or B.) Your shields begin to recharge again. It can 1 shot most enemies around the level you can get the shield and 4-5 shot badasses.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am having difficulty telling the difference between E-Tech and Purples. Anyone have a side by side screen shot? Last night when I was cleaning up my backpack before signing off I think I notice the E-Tech weapons have a pink hue at the top of the main weapon icon in your inventory but not much else noticeable. Why not put a E on the weapon card to make it easier. Pink and Magenta are very hard to distinguish for me in game.

Secondly, is there a cross player "mailbox" where you can leave items in your friends stash? I thought I heard something about that being in the game. I found the banks in Sanctuary but that seems for your own benifit. You have to play this game solo and co-op. I missed so much dialog and tutorial stuff when everyone is just running around trigger different stuff when you first enter Sanctuary.

Lastly, played my first proper 4 player co op session, all with friends on Steam. My god, the chaos and mayhem going on in some of our encounters!! The gun combat in this game is so satisfying and I love the intensity in co op. It seems that once you are full on an ammo type, you can keep picking it up and it will go to your friends. So both money and ammo are group shared. I need to further test, I am not sure if it only goes to friends when your ammo type is full or all ammo equally distributes.

1) E-Tech look pink. I thought purple weapons look more like WoW purples. E-Tech stuff is bright and happy whereas purples are deep and rich. Someone will post a screenie for you soon I'm sure!

2)
In Sanctuary, Claptrap will give you a quest to uncover his secret stash. It's a cross player stash that is used for twinking your lowbie characters (Claptrap's words, not mine!). It's RIGHT when you get into Sanctuary, so if you missed it, slow down and go explore the city!

3) I'm very curious about ammo. I found that it WASN'T shared, but I'd like to be wrong.

Unrelated, I think I'm going to stick to solo for progression and co-op to go back and explore. Southpaw Steam & Power is a prime example of why I want to go BACK and do an area co-op (the boss achievement in there would be REALLY hard to solo, close to impossible maybe, haha). I can explore on my solo and find all the nooks, but on co-op, we can go in and bust shit up and get loots.

Naeblish

Started last night (solo) as the phase shift lady. Not sure that was the right decision...since I played the big burly dude in BL1, I wanted a change, but maybe that change should have been Zer0.
I'm going Zer0 on Friday. I was going Axton first, because it seems weird playing a melee dude in a game all about guns, but Zer0's skill tree's are so very different i can always respec for a new type of gameplay.

Stasis

Off-topic, any good wired headset recommendations for use with Steam?

Corsair 1500 are a great buy for their price if you're willing to spend around $100. Much like the Logitech G35 and some other sets, they use a virtual 7.1 system. They won't sound as awesome as true audiophile headphones, but they're worlds above cheap generic sets and the virtual 7.1 works wonderfully even if it sounds like it's just a gimmick. Try something like this and you're never going back. Makes a huge difference in your gaming experience.

1) E-Tech look pink. I thought purple weapons look more like WoW purples. E-Tech stuff is bright and happy whereas purples are deep and rich. Someone will post a screenie for you soon I'm sure!

2)
In Sanctuary, Claptrap will give you a quest to uncover his secret stash. It's a cross player stash that is used for twinking your lowbie characters (Claptrap's words, not mine!). It's RIGHT when you get into Sanctuary, so if you missed it, slow down and go explore the city!

3) I'm very curious about ammo. I found that it WASN'T shared, but I'd like to be wrong.

Ok, thanks on the "mailbox". I did find that, it was a great lol too. I was wondering about a friend to friend "mailbox" where I could leave loot for them to grab when they next logged on. That was the feature I remember reading about but haven't seen confirmed recently.

My test last night was pretty basic with the ammo. I had full sniper ammo. I had my friends equip a sniper rifle, I said, "hey watch your ammo for a second" I picked up the ammo, even though mine was full, it stayed the same, my friend said his went up by three and he was just standing still. I need to test it more. 2 player co op would be an easier way to account for variables. I know for certain that you can keep picking up ammo when your ammo is full except grenades. It would seem insane that it would let you pick up ammo that just disappeared into the ether.

H3xum

So I started a zer0 playthrough with 3 of my other friends, each a unique class.

This game is way more difficult and Zer0 is not a character for the overly ambitious; I've died at least 10+ times already.

I'm spec'ing down the right tree trying to focus on melee but there are so many enemies now that are exponentially quicker and more agile than the original, that melee is exceedingly difficult to pull off. That bums me out

Also, after playing about 3-4 hours
we just finished all of the initial sanctuary quests
I still have no idea what gun(s) I want to main which sounds like a silly thing, but, it sucks for 2 reasons. 1. in the original (im playing with the same group of friends) we all figured out what was best for our character and when we found an awesome gun of that variety we would hand it over to the character that mains that particular type, however, since we're all just using whatever now, it turns into a free for all which stinks and I end up not even knowing what some of the guns are since they're swooped immediately. 2. Ammo being scarce and guns taking 2+ shots per pull is rough and as such I'd like to buy ammo upgrades from the black market, however, I don't know where to focus.

I don't mean for this to sound like a booooo borderlands 2 post, because I still enjoy it and the game is so witty that I find myself just standing next to dudes idly waiting for them to say something smartass, but, it's slow goings right now.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ok, thanks on the "mailbox". I did find that, it was a great lol too. I was wondering about a friend to friend "mailbox" where I could leave loot for them to grab when they next logged on. That was the feature I remember reading about but haven't seen confirmed recently.

My test last night was pretty basic with the ammo. I had full sniper ammo. I had my friends equip a sniper rifle, I said, "hey watch your ammo for a second" I picked up the ammo, even though mine was full, it stayed the same, my friend said his went up by three and he was just standing still. I need to test it more. 2 player co op would be an easier way to account for variables. I know for certain that you can keep picking up ammo when your ammo is full except grenades. It would seem insane that it would let you pick up ammo that just disappeared into the ether.

Ammo is shared.

Fantastic on the ammo - thanks guys!

Also, that Claptrap dialogue for said mailbox was pretty lol. I'm really really really digging the writing in this game. The humor is really spot on (and sometimes just the right amount of ridiculous stupidity)
Bonerfart

Drazgul

Did they ever say if regenerating ammo made a return like there was in the first borderlands?

Well there's class skills for that, so I don't see why there wouldn't be class mods and some weapons that do the same, as well.

Of course I barely got out of the tutorial area when I played yesterday, so I could be talking out of my ass.

jamster126

Neo Member
Hey i played borderlands one and had some problems with hit detection online....i would shoot and it would take a few seconds before the bullet would hit. Is this a problem at all in borderlands 2? Has there been any trouble with the online play? I will be playing on ps3

game seems over rated so far

maybe I was just looking forward to it too much, but ended up feeling just like I was playing the original (though MUCH prettier)

its quite good dont get me wrong. just maybe I overplayed the original but this sequel quickly became repetitive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom