• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

It's 5 points needed in a "level" to unlock the row below it, you've got 4 points total in there. It's hard to see, but can see it in the background of the skill tree as well, the background gets lighter further and further down as you put points into a row.

I think I'm a bit confused with how the skill tree works.

why can't I skill Helios (the icon with the sun face)? Do I need more points in the skill above it?

I ask because I was able to skill 2 of her other abilities without maxing out the categories above them, so I'm a bit lost as to why I can't do it the same with Helios.

Any insight would be appreciated, as always.

Yes, you need to get all 5 points in one of the skills above to have access to the skill below.

Drazgul

Yes, you need to get all 5 points in one of the skills above to have access to the skill below.

Uh, no? You just need to have 5 points invested into tree (so you could split them 2/5 and 3/5 for the first tier) to unlock the second. Then to unlock the third tier, you could have first tier skills at 5/5 for both (so 10 points total invested into the tree) etc.

BigDug13

Easiest way to think about it is this. To reach row 2, you have to spend 5 points. To reach row 3 you have to spend 10, to reach row 4 you have to spend 15, to reach row 5 you have to spend 20, row 6 at 25, then you can choose the final skill with your 26th (level 31 at the earliest).

It doesn't matter where you spend those points, as long as you have spent at least the number stated above in points on the rows prior to the row you want unlocked.

You can spend 5/5 in the top 4 skills and reach row 5, skipping rows 3 and 4 if you wanted.

By level 11 you can spend a point in tier 2. By level 16 you can earn the first game changer in tier 3.

On second thought, I don't guess that sounds very easy at all to explain.

Just watch your skill tree. You will see a color change when the next row is unlocked.

DTKT

If you can't deal with the possibility that a random person might steal from you then don't team with random people. Hand holding players to ensure there's no or minimal conflict is not good design. One of the most interesting aspects of multiplayer play is conflict. If anything this is one issue that has kept a game like EVE running, and will keep it running for years to come. It sucks when you're on the negative end of it but it actually reinforces the fact that when you play with other people you're not just adding on a few more guns and DPS - you're dealing with actual people with their own motivations, which may be in conflict with yours. It's a compromise. Much like in a player vs player shooter - if you want actual cooperation and a cohesive team, you rarely play with randoms and when you choose to - you know what you're possibly in for.

Comparing B2 to EVE is the most backwards thing I have ever heard. Borderlands MP is not about conflict or frustration, it's all about instant gratification and the loot you are about to get. It probably the game that's the furthest away from the idea of "conflict".

And then again, comparing B2 to a PVP shooter is some weird way of looking at it. I'm not looking for conflict or some kind of deep "cooperation", B2 mechanics don't really support that. I'm just looking for a carefree experience with a bunch of my friends, without having to worry about how many guns there are and who's taking what. If I want that type of experience, I'll boot up my Amarr character or start up DayZ again.

B2 is all about the loot and that's what keeps you going. I'm just looking for a better experience on that side.

It doesn't have to be all 5 points in one skill, just 5 points total across any of the skills in that "row".

Uh, no? You just need to have 5 points invested into tree (so you could split them 2/5 and 3/5 for the first tier) to unlock the second. Then to unlock the third tier, you could have first tier skills at 5/5 for both (so 10 points total invested into the tree) etc.

It's 5 points needed in a "level" to unlock the row below it, you've got 4 points total in there. It's hard to see, but can see it in the background of the skill tree as well, the background gets lighter further and further down as you put points into a row.
awesome, thanks guys!

Dizzy-4U

Cha-ching! (It wasn't much but hey, lucky me!)

ruiCS.jpg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man I can't explain the difference from going on PS3 then switching to PC. I've been playing back & forth with great friends and can only wish that the guys could all have a decent PC to run this with near perfect IQ and 60fps. My eyes almost hurt from looking at this on PS3 and on my co workers 360. I love taking shots of random things to just show how much better the IQ is on PC;

borderlands22012-09-1p6ps6.png

Beepos

If you can't deal with the possibility that a random person might steal from you then don't team with random people. Hand holding players to ensure there's no or minimal conflict is not good design. One of the most interesting aspects of multiplayer play is conflict. If anything this is one issue that has kept a game like EVE running, and will keep it running for years to come. It sucks when you're on the negative end of it but it actually reinforces the fact that when you play with other people you're not just adding on a few more guns and DPS - you're dealing with actual people with their own motivations, which may be in conflict with yours. It's a compromise. Much like in a player vs player shooter - if you want actual cooperation and a cohesive team, you rarely play with randoms and when you choose to - you know what you're possibly in for.

Just no.

DTKT

So you just keep getting more powerful forever? wat

Diminishing returns rear their ugly mug really quickly. After dumping 3-5 points in one category, you'll only gain 0.2% with each subsequent point you place in that same category. It pushes you to diversify what you boost. You might end up with 10-12% with most of the stuff after a while.

Nothing game breaking and it's really satisfying to always have stuff to place.

Wunder

Hey guys, I was wondering about Kill Skills and whether they stack or not? Will it prioritize one over the other or will both effects hit off at the same time? Thanks!

Teknoman

Another reference, a Goliath just came out of nowhere screaming "Welcome to die!" :p

Whats their deal anyway? Mutants or something i'm guessing (the line kinda gives me that idea too).

Drazgul

Diminishing returns rear their ugly mug really quickly. After dumping 3-5 points in one category, you'll only gain 0.2% with each subsequent point you place in that same category. It pushes you to diversify what you boost. You might end up with 10-12% with most of the stuff after a while.

Nothing game breaking and it's really satisfying to always have stuff to place.

Even with the diminishing returns, gun damage is the best choice for just about everyone. Too bad it seems to come up as one of the five options so rarely.

Coconut

Banned
Man I can't explain the difference from going on PS3 then switching to PC. I've been playing back & forth with great friends and can only wish that the guys could all have a decent PC to run this with near perfect IQ and 60fps. My eyes almost hurt from looking at this on PS3 and on my co workers 360. I love taking shots of random things to just show how much better the IQ is on PC;

borderlands22012-09-1p6ps6.png

It hurts switching from my Pc to the 360 version mostly because the framerate makes aiming so weird.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Do we really know that there is no cap at some point? Has someone cheated on the PC and checked that it increases infinitely?
Well, the PR guys have said on multiple occasions that they are infinite. Perhaps there's a theoretical cap or number the game can handle, but at that point it probably wouldn't matter.

Maybe it's just my current sniper rifle, but I can't seem to get the heads to pop on headshots. Blood goes everywhere, but the head stays intact. Can anyone confirm dismemberment?

Plissken

Goddamn, this game is amazing so far. I'm only level 12, but it's already hands down better than the first. NPC dialogue in Sanctuary, the dying quotes of the people you kill, a cross-character bank, GAMBLING, everything is amazing so far. Great work you fine folks at Gearbox!

Dire

Comparing B2 to EVE is the most backwards thing I have ever heard. Borderlands MP is not about conflict or frustration, it's all about instant gratification and the loot you are about to get. It probably the game that's the furthest away from the idea of "conflict".

And then again, comparing B2 to a PVP shooter is some weird way of looking at it. I'm not looking for conflict or some kind of deep "cooperation", B2 mechanics don't really support that. I'm just looking for a carefree experience with a bunch of my friends, without having to worry about how many guns there are and who's taking what. If I want that type of experience, I'll boot up my Amarr character or start up DayZ again.

B2 is all about the loot and that's what keeps you going. I'm just looking for a better experience on that side.

The B2 mechanics don't support cooperation? I'm not sure what that even means. Of course they do - the entire game from revivals to loot sharing is based around opt-in cooperation. You want to take that out of the equation and have the developers force players to cooperate whether or not they want to. Cooperation is an inherent part of any multiplayer cooperate game. And an uncooperative player can and should be able to damage the cohesion of a team. It is then up to the other players to either convince (dude stop being so greedy), coerce (hello PVP button) or abandon the uncooperative player.

The problem was D3 is that no single change is what caused the game to be ultimately unenjoyable - rather it was the entire philosophy of design which is why no single patch is going to 'fix' the game. That philosophy is simplification and conflict avoidance. It sounds like a perfectly logical idea on paper. I remember prior to D3's release when people were already complaining about the lack of longevity the game's design would inflict there were people 'on the other side' writing multipage essays about how amazing and revolutionary D3's gameplay would be and how it would change the former archaic (relic was the term you used) style of gaming. The unfortunate reality is that as rhetorically satisfying all those terms and essays were, that 'archaic' style of gaming is still fun today whereas the D3 revolution is ending up to be on about the same scale as how the segway revolution that was going to permanently change the face of transportation.

Almost any single aspect of D3 considered in a vacuum seems like a reasonable idea which is why it's dangerous to try to bring ideas over from that game even piecemeal. Individual instanced loot seems like a great idea on paper but in reality you're just taking one more interesting aspect and compromise involved in cooperative play and throwing it away.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maybe it's just my current sniper rifle, but I can't seem to get the heads to pop on headshots. Blood goes everywhere, but the head stays intact. Can anyone confirm dismemberment?

I have yet to see a head pop with a sniper, and I've been using them heavily.

I have seen bodies completely explode, so there is still gore. Not sure why they changed that, or if only closer to end game guns start doing that?

Rikyfree

Love this game. I was thoroughly surprised by the choice of opening credits music this time. I love listening to it every time on Strike Back.

HoosTrax

So in Borderlands 1, I wasn't completely sold on the game until I had an "epiphany" of sorts, in the form of a purple Hunter shotgun drop.

Well I had my epiphany moment for Borderlands 2 just now...
(just to clarify, it's not the E-tech quest weapon for the mission I have active, I just happened to be in the area)

Just read on IGN about the new Torque DLC rumor. If it's true that it adds on 10 hours of gameplay, that's pretty damn great. Hope every DLC is a home run for this. Finally a game with a season pass that's actually worth investing in.

One thing that's baffling to me is why money and ammo from crates and lockers don't auto pickup like the ones from corpses. It gets shared with your party anyway so stealing isn't a concern, just seems like an unnecessary extra step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom