• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is something that I've been wondering since Borderlands 1 and never bothered to investigate.

If you have a class mod that gives +2 in a particular skill, and you are already at say..level 4 in that skill, does it matter? Is it effectively like having that skill maxed out at 5? Or does it scale up to 6 somehow?

And what about if you have 0 in that skill, and it isn't even in a tree you're going down? Will it go from 0 to 2, even without the prerequisite skills?

I'm probably way over thinking this. And it seems obvious that it SHOULD go from 0 to 2, and that it SHOULD go from 4 to 5 only, even if it's +2, but I've heard people before get excited over finding something that adds to their skills, even if they've maxed out that skill already.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So this is something that I've been wondering since Borderlands 1 and never bothered to investigate.

If you have a class mod that gives +2 in a particular skill, and you are already at say..level 4 in that skill, does it matter? Is it effectively like having that skill maxed out at 5? Or does it scale up to 6 somehow?

And what about if you have 0 in that skill, and it isn't even in a tree you're going down? Will it go from 0 to 2, even without the prerequisite skills?

I'm probably way over thinking this. And it seems obvious that it SHOULD go from 0 to 2, and that it SHOULD go from 4 to 5 only, even if it's +2, but I've heard people before get excited over finding something that adds to their skills, even if they've maxed out that skill already.
No cap.
5 in a skill with +4 on it gives you 9/5 on it.

Icomp

I'm fairly certain that the +2 adds to the skill even without points in those normally required.

Don't know about the 4/5 +2 = 5/5. To me it's naturally 4/5 +2 = 6/5. Making the skill better, thus making the class mod an even better investment.

legend166

Why is the online PC co-op so horrible?

AusGAF is trying to get a game going and it's like we're dealing with GameSpy all over again.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Claptrap loves him some robot pron...
borderlands22012-09-2ucack.png

Really like the ability to change the HUD both in size and placement.

I think I'm going to respec Maya (again). Originally I thought I'd be better off going the Cataclysm route instead of Harmony, but Cata freakin sucks and I'd rather have health restoration. I'll put +5 into Flicker and then leave Cata in the dust.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, actually I found myself wrecking people in cataclysm, though I also have a few in motion.

I think flicker kind of sucks to be honest. I don't really have a problem creating elemental effects by default, so being able to do more doesn't help that much. The reloading skill is more useful.

Paertan

Vault Edition arrived for pickup today one day ahead of release. It's gonna be tough to work fulltime tomorrow. I was afraid the store would screw up and send it too late but they came through.
This weekend will be great!

The B2 mechanics don't support cooperation? I'm not sure what that even means. Of course they do - the entire game from revivals to loot sharing is based around opt-in cooperation. You want to take that out of the equation and have the developers force players to cooperate whether or not they want to. Cooperation is an inherent part of any multiplayer cooperate game. And an uncooperative player can and should be able to damage the cohesion of a team. It is then up to the other players to either convince (dude stop being so greedy), coerce (hello PVP button) or abandon the uncooperative player.

The problem was D3 is that no single change is what caused the game to be ultimately unenjoyable - rather it was the entire philosophy of design which is why no single patch is going to 'fix' the game. That philosophy is simplification and conflict avoidance. It sounds like a perfectly logical idea on paper. I remember prior to D3's release when people were already complaining about the lack of longevity the game's design would inflict there were people 'on the other side' writing multipage essays about how amazing and revolutionary D3's gameplay would be and how it would change the former archaic (relic was the term you used) style of gaming. The unfortunate reality is that as rhetorically satisfying all those terms and essays were, that 'archaic' style of gaming is still fun today whereas the D3 revolution is ending up to be on about the same scale as how the segway revolution that was going to permanently change the face of transportation.

Almost any single aspect of D3 considered in a vacuum seems like a reasonable idea which is why it's dangerous to try to bring ideas over from that game even piecemeal. Individual instanced loot seems like a great idea on paper but in reality you're just taking one more interesting aspect and compromise involved in cooperative play and throwing it away.

Just wanted to post that I get what you're saying here and I completely agree with you. This is one of those things where taken on the surface, it appears that doing something such as separating drops for each user is a no-brainer and fixes frustration (as Dire states, a "logical idea"). However, what most people don't realize is that the subconscious reaction to choice is a big factor in promoting an enjoyable (and sometimes frustrating) gaming experience. Take that away and the experience is immensely watered down and linear.

Nope. I got a class mod last night that gave me +2 in a skill I had zero. I went to check and it said that it would only give +2 if I already had at least 1 point in that skill.

Ok. So about last night.

Played till I got to lvl 12 with my Zer0. Loving playing him all melee.

I played till
the firehawk mission
. Played it till amost the end then the lights went out in my building :(

It came back later, but it was late so I just went too sleep.

PS - I GAVE IN TO THE MULTIPLES GOLDEN KEY THING. I got like 10 keys. I figured since I did at lvl 10 it wqouldnt really break the game.

And you know what? It wasnt that amazing. OF all the weapons I got there, I only still got 1 (and I almost never use it). The rest I got later at lvl 11-12 just playing the game.

So, Im not gonna use the golden key anymore. Maybe if I hit lvl 50 just to see what I get (and it hasnt been patched yet).

Right now Im using:

- sniper rifle (got in mission)
- shotgun (got with golden key but honestly I almost never use it)
- pistol (got in chest - not golden key one). it has unlimited bullets. NO RELOAD. It`s freaking amazing. damage is kinda low, but it shoots fast and I can waste the bullets, lol.

I also have an SMG I found that is awesome.

So, if you`re thinking about getting more golden keys, I say to just keep playing the game. You will eventually get better just playing. Also, it will feel a lot more satisfying.

Darklord

Banned
Umm, I just got a really weird big. I opened the DLC store window(the steam window) and it killed my framerate. I quit, reloaded and the framerate is STILL fucked. What the hell?! It was smooth as butter before!

Luthos

Playing as Gunzerker, and got a head customization item that is a
bowler hat
. It is amazing.

I love games that let you customize your appearance.

Question, are the bad ass points shared between characters? I spent some on my Axton character but when I started a new game with Maya it seemed like I already had some bonuses.

eek5

Damn, what glitch?

Well I'm playing on the PS3 with a buddy that was over, he was playing as my second character. When he left I went back into my badass rank screen and saw that all my boosts were gone and my rank was back to 0. The really bad news is that the progress is still the same meaning all those ranks are now gone and useless. Anybody have an Idea of what to do?

Just noticed all my skins are pretty much gone too. Lost a gold chest key somehow, I'm guessing that the game says i don't have the premiere club but when I press start it says I do.

I'm pretty mad at this point!

this one

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
PS - I GAVE IN TO THE MULTIPLES GOLDEN KEY THING. I got like 10 keys. I figured since I did at lvl 10 it wqouldnt really break the game.

And you know what? It wasnt that amazing. OF all the weapons I got there, I only still got 1 (and I almost never use it). The rest I got later at lvl 11-12 just playing the game.

So, Im not gonna use the golden key anymore. Maybe if I hit lvl 50 just to see what I get (and it hasnt been patched yet).

So, if you`re thinking about getting more golden keys, I say to just keep playing the game. You will eventually get better just playing. Also, it will feel a lot more satisfying.

One of the guys my friend plays with joined our game yesterday. He exploited the keys and started opening the chest like mad in front of us (he was level 15 and we were 10-12). The stuff that popped out was OK, but nothing absolutely insane. I did grab one of the pistols that came out, but the crazy E-Tech one I found is miles ahead of it (a needler).

I think the Golden Chest exploit is similar to the BL1 chest farming people did - yeah, the gear is good, but I imagine the REALLY good drops will occur in the wild.

Atruvius

I have had on "bigger" bug. Got a new skin, used it from the inventory but can't put it on my Siren. The skin is not in the customization machine.

Playing on PC.

One of the guys my friend plays with joined our game yesterday. He exploited the keys and started opening the chest like mad in front of us (he was level 15 and we were 10-12). The stuff that popped out was OK, but nothing absolutely insane. I did grab one of the pistols that came out, but the crazy E-Tech one I found is miles ahead of it (a needler).

I think the Golden Chest exploit is similar to the BL1 chest farming people did - yeah, the gear is good, but I imagine the REALLY good drops will occur in the wild.

Exactly. Not to mention it makes it more exciting. Feels like you earned the food loot.

2 quest are bugged!!! :O:O

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?p=2764397

Thanks for the warning Rich!

Weird cause I did talk to her before, but I didnt get the cutsene till the actual quest.

Got lucky, I guess :p

2 quest are bugged!!! :O:O

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?p=2764397

Thanks for the warning Rich!

This must not be universally true. I talked to her when first entering the hideout but then got the mission after that and was able to complete it without issue. Good warning though - stupid bug because it is very easy to talk to her before you recieve that mission.

Otherwise, this game is great. Loving it solo so far and will jump online with a neww character once i am further along in the story.

I have had on "bigger" bug. Got a new skin, used it from the inventory but can't put it on my Siren. The skin is not in the customization machine.

Playing on PC.

Oddly enough you can actually get class specific customization items for classes you aren't playing which is probably what happened. I assume it will be there whenever you play the class it was for. I got a couple out of the slot machine for gunzerker and siren when im playing zero.

I feel like I should be seeing something here, but I'm not.

I think I'm seeing Skagzilla, I don't know, could be something else. Or it could just be nothing.

You know how some of the Bullymong burrows are vaguely shaped like animals? Well, this one is sporting a rather large erection.

I ran into a bugged quest, the side mission Shield Favors, for Sir Hammerlock. I had been exploring earlier and I went to that area and I shut down the electric fence, but now Claptrap tells me I have to run through it. The fence won't turn back on and there is no fuse for me to pick up.

Jezabel

I ran into a bugged quest, the side mission Shield Favors, for Sir Hammerlock. I had been exploring earlier and I went to that area and I shut down the electric fence, but now Claptrap tells me I have to run through it. The fence won't turn back on and there is no fuse for me to pick up.

its not bugged man, run into it twice and claptrap should say more helpful dialogue

Trying to get the stupid bullymongs to throw stuff at me for this renaming quest so I can shoot it out of the air. Everytime I get some to spawn though they just look at me like a retarded puppy or jump at me.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I've played for 4-5 hours and just found Firehawk or w/e her name was.

two questions

1) How far into the game am I? ( main-line quest that is )
2) Does the game "change", or am I still looking at grabbing quest X and going to the waypoint ?

Wallach

two questions

2) Does the game "change", or am I still looking at grabbing quest X and going to the waypoint ?

I'm not any farther than you are, but I'm pretty sure the basic quest/progression structure isn't going to change. That's how the first game was structured.

I'm loving this game, but my main annoyance is the lack of improvement in the vehicle category. Its still really janky to drive these things, and having to go back and forth constantly for quests is pretty boring. I'd rather have a tighter world where everything was accessible through running.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

two questions

Playthough 1 was 30 hours for me, could easily be trimmed down to mid 20's.

More side quests open up in larger areas, but mostly similar.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I feel like I should jump on the season pass now as I know I'll be grabbing the DLC later.

Where should I be making said purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom