• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
One thing that's baffling to me is why money and ammo from crates and lockers don't auto pickup like the ones from corpses. It gets shared with your party anyway so stealing isn't a concern, just seems like an unnecessary extra step.

And people spamming the pickup button end up stealing drops from teammates as a result.

Dizzy-4U

Very minor NPC spoiler (not story related):

http://i.imgur.com/9DVZI.jpg

MSh6W.jpg

Gotchaye

The B2 mechanics don't support cooperation? I'm not sure what that even means. Of course they do - the entire game from revivals to loot sharing is based around opt-in cooperation. You want to take that out of the equation and have the developers force players to cooperate whether or not they want to. Cooperation is an inherent part of any multiplayer cooperate game. And an uncooperative player can and should be able to damage the cohesion of a team. It is then up to the other players to either convince (dude stop being so greedy), coerce (hello PVP button) or abandon the uncooperative player.

The problem was D3 is that no single change is what caused the game to be ultimately unenjoyable - rather it was the entire philosophy of design which is why no single patch is going to 'fix' the game. That philosophy is simplification and conflict avoidance. It sounds like a perfectly logical idea on paper. I remember prior to D3's release when people were already complaining about the lack of longevity the game's design would inflict there were people 'on the other side' writing multipage essays about how amazing and revolutionary D3's gameplay would be and how it would change the former archaic (relic was the term you used) style of gaming. The unfortunate reality is that as rhetorically satisfying all those terms and essays were, that 'archaic' style of gaming is still fun today whereas the D3 revolution is ending up to be on about the same scale as how the segway revolution that was going to permanently change the face of transportation.

Almost any single aspect of D3 considered in a vacuum seems like a reasonable idea which is why it's dangerous to try to bring ideas over from that game even piecemeal. Individual instanced loot seems like a great idea on paper but in reality you're just taking one more interesting aspect and compromise involved in cooperative play and throwing it away.
This is nutty. Free for all loot isn't something that many players are only vaguely annoyed by such that it might actually be an important contributor to the experience even though players aren't aware of that fact. Free for all loot is something that many players find incredibly annoying to such an extent that they do not play at all in situations where free for all loot produces a significantly different experience than instanced loot. Their experience of not playing at all is not going to be worsened by having instanced loot. Obviously some people enjoy instanced loot, but an easy (in concept) fix that would seem to make everyone happy would be to allow the host to choose. Edit: To be clear, many people who avoid public games for fear of loot ninjas would also prefer free for all loot when playing with friends in order to facilitate everybody checking out the drops, but for them the advantage of free for all loot is essentially that it makes the UI a bit easier to navigate.

Edit: Also, strongly agree that chest ammo should be auto pickup. I almost have to believe that that's a bug, because why on earth would you intentionally make it work differently?

Teknoman

Aren't they dudes with prosthetic heads?

I am positive I have seen heads explode.

Well yeah, but i'm trying to figure out why...the guy's spine extends out of his face along with his skull after flipping out. I know some of the bandits have deformities, but damn.

I just like knowing a little of the back story behind strange enemies in games lol.

Edgeward

I thought everyone in the group receives the mission rewards? I did the splinter group quest and the install AI core and both weapons were given to me but not my friend. I was the one that turned in both and was the host.

Coulda sworn I got mission rewards when others turned it in.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I thought everyone in the group receives the mission rewards? I did the splinter group quest and the install AI core and both weapons were given to me but not my friend. I was the one that turned in both and was the host.

Coulda sworn I got mission rewards when others turned it in.

Sometimes it won't reward it until they're in the menu. I think for the ones where you can pick something.

daxy

Caved and used a VPN to play yesterday (PC). Put in more time than I wanted to. Started with Zer0, but his skill tree doesn't entirely line up with my play style. Sniper guy from BL1 was just fine though (pistol bonuses).

I also used both of my golden keys accidentally because I'm dumb and should not be allowed to handle limited use items. They really should put up a prompt to warn you about using them for people like me. Somehow managed to miss the fact that the chest didn't look anything like the others twice.

That mission where you
rescue Roland was such a pain. The shields on that machine were insane and the flying bots kept recharging them. Infinitely spawning minions and me not having energy (?) weapons on my first try did not help either. I actually managed to fail it in the first instance and Roland was taken to a prison where I had to go through a similar sequence again. At least that was pretty cool.

Smokey

God damn at a "A Dam Fine Rescue"...I just passed what I assume to be the first part of the "battle" and even leading up to that point it was ruthless with the enemies..

Izayoi

Banned
On PC at least, heads look like they gib (dozens of bits of brain and skull go flying - thanks PhysX), but they do not pop off. I assume it's a bug.

God damn at a "A Dam Fine Rescue"...I just passed what I assume to be the first part of the "battle" and even leading up to that point it was ruthless with the enemies..
Later missions are even crazier. The difficulty has gone way up, I love it.

splattered

My GF and i have played about 6 hours so far with my best friend... he is trying to play this game like a straight up FPS and blast through the levels avoiding bandit hideouts and other areas that aren't in the immediate direction of the main storyline quest direction... i'm the kind of person that says "Oh look, a bandit hideout over to the west of us a bit.. lets go check it out!" or "Wooo i can see an item/weapon cache way up on top of that cliff!" and he is becoming very annoyed with me because i want to experience everything the game has to offer rather than ignore stuff. He was complaining that i was being too thorough and then i happen to jump up a cliff area and discover level 11 class mods for everyone. This game makes me feel very torn when playing with others. :/

Teknoman

My GF and i have played about 6 hours so far with my best friend... he is trying to play this game like a straight up FPS and blast through the levels avoiding bandit hideouts and other areas that aren't in the immediate direction of the main storyline quest direction... i'm the kind of person that says "Oh look, a bandit hideout over to the west of us a bit.. lets go check it out!" or "Wooo i can see an item/weapon cache way up on top of that cliff!" and he is becoming very annoyed with me because i want to experience everything the game has to offer rather than ignore stuff. He was complaining that i was being too thorough and then i happen to jump up a cliff area and discover level 11 class mods for everyone. This game makes me feel very torn when playing with others. :/

Just tell him that he'll run into a brick wall later on if he doesnt travel off the main path.

Caved and used a VPN to play yesterday (PC). Put in more time than I wanted to. Started with Zer0, but his skill tree doesn't entirely line up with my play style. Sniper guy from BL1 was just fine though (pistol bonuses).

I also used both of my golden keys accidentally because I'm dumb and should not be allowed to handle limited use items. They really should put up a prompt to warn you about using them for people like me. Somehow managed to miss the fact that the chest didn't look anything like the others twice.

That mission where you
rescue Roland was such a pain. The shields on that machine were insane and the flying bots kept recharging them. Infinitely spawning minions and me not having energy (?) weapons on my first try did not help either. I actually managed to fail it in the first instance and Roland was taken to a prison where I had to go through a similar sequence again. At least that was pretty cool.

lol how'd you use it twice accidentally? I can see the first time, not knowing whats up...but the second time? Press the wrong button or standing too close?

Marvie_3

Banned

I had a friend doing that in BL1. I stopped playing with them and enjoyed the game a lot more.

d00d3n

So, regarding Zero, with the sniper skill tree:

Optics useless? Does the aim steadiness boost factor into practical gameplay at all? So headsh0t for the first pick.

Killer or precisi0n? A combination? I guess precisi0n would eliminate some of the head bobbing, but with many sniper rifles having a high accuracy already maybe badass rank accuracy boost will suffice?

Vel0city obviously better than One Sh0t One kill.

daxy

lol how'd you use it twice accidentally? I can see the first time, not knowing whats up...but the second time? Press the wrong button or standing too close?

First time: hey, look a chest. Oh, two purple grenade mods. Neat.
Second time: oh, sweet I can open this chest again? Two purple guns.. Wait a minute. This chest. It can't be. It is! asdfhgsadfhkjkg

That about sums it up, haha.
At least I'm blazing through the current section with these guns. I've already replaced the grenade mods by better ones though.

It doesn't have to be all 5 points in one skill, just 5 points total across any of the skills in that "row".
This is wrong. You gain access to another row for every 5 points spent anywhere on that same tree.

See the image below. 10 points were applied to row 1, while row 2 was skipped completely. This still allowed points to be allocated to row 3.

BL2_zps62c7ab0e.png

Don't forget you can experiment with the skill trees on the website:
http://www.borderlands2.com/us/skilltree/

RoeBear

Well I'm playing on the PS3 with a buddy that was over, he was playing as my second character. When he left I went back into my badass rank screen and saw that all my boosts were gone and my rank was back to 0. The really bad news is that the progress is still the same meaning all those ranks are now gone and useless. Anybody have an Idea of what to do?

Just noticed all my skins are pretty much gone too. Lost a gold chest key somehow, I'm guessing that the game says i don't have the premiere club but when I press start it says I do.

I'm pretty mad at this point!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

You should tell him to go fuck off and play by himself.

*Not joking.

And find a new friend

so i registered for shift online a few days ago, just put the game in my 360, went to shift from the in game menu and it ask me to put in my shift code, never got any info about this on the site or my email

Haha, oh man, that pizza sidequest was amazing. I'm kinda mad at myself for not figuring out where the joke was heading until it was right on top of me though.

Xevren

So, regarding Zero, with the sniper skill tree:

Optics useless? Does the aim steadiness boost factor into practical gameplay at all? So headsh0t for the first pick.

Killer or precisi0n? A combination? I guess precisi0n would eliminate some of the head bobbing, but with many sniper rifles having a high accuracy already maybe badass rank accuracy boost will suffice?

Vel0city obviously better than One Sh0t One kill.

I prefer Killer by a large margin. Usually every encounter will have many different enemies and keeping that kill skill up isn't that hard. Plus I love the fast reloading.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, lol at the mission that ends up being a hit on
the ninja turtles
! My friends and I were cracking up.

DieH@rd

Banned
Why is the European version of the game unlocking after midnight? For fuck sake, we get the game later than US and then they unlocking in the middle of the freaking night...

Gotchaye

I prefer Killer by a large margin. Usually every encounter will have many different enemies and keeping that kill skill up isn't that hard. Plus I love the fast reloading.

I'm having a hard time making that decision too. Mostly because I'm not really sure exactly what "Accuracy" is giving me. Killer is a lot more appealing than most kill skills because you tend to do almost all of your reloading within 10 seconds of a kill.

Xevren

I'm having a hard time making that decision too. Mostly because I'm not really sure exactly what "Accuracy" is giving me. Killer is a lot more appealing than most kill skills because you tend to do almost all of your reloading within 10 seconds of a kill.

I'm only speccing into the sniper tree until I get to the 30's so I can go into bloodshed. Didn't want to bother with it until I could get that last skill in it. Even once I go into it I'll still be going for headshot and killer just for the added crit damage.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Whats the best Solo class.

I was playing with buddies and i played a Siren and i felt pretty comfortable when i had teammates.

But now im trying to level solo for a while and i feel like im getting my ass whooped with the Siren build ive made.

Is there a Siren build that works solo?
I might not need to restart just do a respec.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I was playing with buddies and i played a Siren and i felt pretty comfortable when i had teammates.

But now im trying to level solo for a while and i feel like im getting my ass whooped with the Siren build ive made.

Commando seems decent. I have little problem soloing, but I don't think the game is much fun in solo most of the time, so I stick to co-op.

Why is Maya the most wanted?

She's a siren.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Probably go for one down the healing tree?

I do pretty well going down Cataclysm though.

ekim

I didn't have a problem with him. It may just be an issue of needing to level up and finding better gear.

Did that the second time :-( Next try will be today.

Nonetheless: great game so far. I just want some more space in my inventory and the possibility to distribute stat points :eek:

Torraz

Am I the only one who died multiple times fighting Flynt? :(

Got "downed" once, but managed to second wind on a lacked...

I've tried both Gunzerker and Commando to around 10, and I think Commando is the better choice. At least at this low level, close range combat (solo) is not viable - at least in comparison to sniping. Therefore the turret skill is alot more useful than the dual wielding bererker one.

----

Is it possible to do co-op with random people? Not sure anyone on my friends list is going to get this.

those black hole sandworm things that pull you in?

fuck them. you can't stop them from getting close because they travel under the ground, then when they're close enough they pop out and vacuum you in for like 7 seconds. and of course, Siren can't telekenisis them out of the ground so when you're caught, you just have to take it and hope you can finish it off and get a second wind. that shit is dumb.

also, who's bright idea was it to have an equipable shield that randomly ejects lightning grenade things upon taking damage...that can inadvertently damage you (and I mean big damage), depending on where their launcher falls? It's a high-value shield, but that shit killed me at least twice tonight just randomly popping out after taking damage when I was peeking out behind a corner. the lightning grenade thing would just bounce off the wall in front of me (or some other nearby object unbeknownst to me, zoomed in shooting people) and utterly annihilate me. I can't imagine why these should damage YOU. That mechanic actively discourages me from using the shield (which is probably my best shield, otherwise) because it's just too unpredictable. When it works right (when it lands near a medium-distance target or group of targets, that feature is really cool...but when it ends up right next to you...it helps the enemy more than you.

red731

FUCK (sry)...

Due to problems with distribution they will send it out not today, but tomorrow!!
LLShC.gif

My weekend.....ffffuuuu

Backlog it is then...Batman AA, Crysis2,...

i love the "horrible song" being played in moxxies place as part of a quest..

its so deliciously random!
loving this game, Zero started out hard to use, but at level 18 i'm starting to figure him out. I need execute *__*
This game will go down as one of the greats of all time...

That said, where is my instanced loot? Come on! Patch that shit!

Diablo 3 really dumbed down the muliplayer dynamic, i like how earlier in the thread someone mentioned instanced loot gives each player a "unique experience"..

as opposed to a shared one..

i appreciate games that promote comradery, i hope they don't cave and that they ignore the D3 route of instanced loot, or at least make it optional so those who desire tension in their multiplayer gaming can have it.

Despera

Banned
My Zero build is kicking ass at level 7.

I started this game right after I finished Sleeping Dogs... I'm in gameplay heaven!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom