• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Oooh man, last night I got this really killer Purple Sniper Rifle with a 15 load clip and rapid fire and like, 75 damage. I'm only lvl 8 and I fully expect this to break the game for me for awhile... but I didn't get a chance to test it out. I'm itching to go home and shoot some bandit in the face with it.

About 5 or so hours in now (just left The Sanctuary)... The game is good; there's no doubt about that. I'm just unsure whether it will maintain my interest. Looting is fun as balls and I'm a sucker for that stuff, but every now and then, the somewhat imprecise aiming controls will rear their ugly head, make me squish my face up and think, "well, that wasn't very good at all".

That being said, a lot of my concern is probably down to my still getting accustomed to the controls and flow of the game. Tightest FPS, this certainly is not, but then again, it doesn't have to be. I shall persevere!

So I accidentally opened the golden chest with my one golden key at like level 8 not realizing what it was. Got two purple shields that I didn't want to use since they were a minus to maximum health (turtle shields) :/ I wish they would have warned me a little better lol but oh well.

So I assume you can get more golden keys right?

wwm0nkey

So I accidentally opened the golden chest with my one golden key at like level 8 not realizing what it was. Got two purple shields that I didn't want to use since they were a minus to maximum health (turtle shields) :/ I wish they would have warned me a little better lol but oh well.

So I assume you can get more golden keys right?

I think its safe to assume they will eventually sell keys for $1, which I am ok with actually.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm not any farther than you are, but I'm pretty sure the basic quest/progression structure isn't going to change. That's how the first game was structured.

Ok, don't know what I was expecting, even this early on I'm already somewhat bored.

Playthough 1 was 30 hours for me, could easily be trimmed down to mid 20's.

More side quests open up in larger areas, but mostly similar.

Ah ok not too bad then, was afraid I was gonna have to spend tons of time just to finish it.

Oooh man, last night I got this really killer Purple Sniper Rifle with a 15 load clip and rapid fire and like, 75 damage. I'm only lvl 8 and I fully expect this to break the game for me for awhile... but I didn't get a chance to test it out. I'm itching to go home and shoot some bandit in the face with it.

I got something similar around that level. Mine also had digital crosshairs that tracked enemies movements when I zoomed in. The problem was that I ran out of bullets so quickly. Awesome gun though. It didn't break the game, but it sure made fighting the guys with the lootchests on their backs easier.

Oh weird. Yeah, I don't really have a problem with that either. Just sucks that I used it so early then.

You can get some really good loot out of the slot machines. Every time I come back to town I allocate X amount of money for the slots. I usually come away with some more eridium, a bunch of weapons to re-sell, character/vehicle skins or sometimes something good to use.

Razek

Banned
So, I'm getting there in the game, I'd say I'm 70% done now. I think overall I would say in comparison to BL1 concerning specific elements of this game:

Overhaul--Story/Characters
Much Better--Gun controls and feel
Much Better--Shields
Better--Atmosphere and location variety
Better--Music
Better--Vehicles
Bit Better--SFX
Bit Better--Grenade Mods
--
Bit Worse--Classmods
Bit Worse--Side Missions
Bit Worse--Skill tree (too many skills added while not compensating for levels)
Worse--Weapon Variety (for certain weapons)
Worse--Loot Chest Ratio
Ruined--UI (user interface aka menu system)

RoeBear

Yea that glitch that I mentioned earlier has something to do with playing co-op with two people from the same file. Pretty much don't do it at all. If you do more than likely your skins heads and badass rank will all mess up. I just deleted everything and started fresh. Stayed up all night but got to level 15 in about 6 hours solo. was level 20 but no big deal. Just be careful if you have friends over...

Make sure to link your account from in-game. If you sign-up for Shift and link accounts on the site itself before going back to the game, you won't get a key.
Good to know. I'm actually having some trouble getting past the user agreement on the site so I'll just do it from in game when I get home.

So, I'm getting there in the game, I'd say I'm 70% done now. I think overall I would say in comparison to BL1 concerning specific elements of this game:

Much Better--Shields
Better--Music
Better--Vehicles
Bit Better--SFX
Bit Better--Grenade Mods
--
Bit Worse--Classmods
Bit Worse--Side Missions
Worse--Loot Chest Ratio

Will never agree with those 3.

How's the Soldier/Turret class this time around? I played Roland in BL1 and was gonna start with the new guy. Is it more of the same? Any interesting tweaks?

How's the Soldier/Turret class this time around? I played Roland in BL1 and was gonna start with the new guy. Is it more of the same? Any interesting tweaks?

I haven't put much time in with him, but based on other posts he appears to rank up there with Maya as the best class, with Zero being the worst. He also appears to be an easier class to solo with.

KarmaCow

How in the world do I add items from inventory to trash? I'm on PC, btw.

I just had to google this, apparently you need to move the cursor to the right hand side of the gun and the favourite/trash icons should pop up to click.

The PC interface in general is odd. It's like they really took all the complaints about the lack of mouse control in the first game and forgot there is a keyboard as well.

Much Better--Shields
Better--Music
Better--Vehicles
Bit Better--SFX
Bit Better--Grenade Mods
--
Bit Worse--Classmods
Bit Worse--Side Missions
Worse--Loot Chest Ratio

what??

this ^. UI in the first one was brutal (from a PC standpoint). i find BL2 to be much improved in this standpoint. having a Minimap is a HUGE help.

my main bitch point is running out of ammo. i have to keep shotty, pistol, smg, assault on hand just because i run through so much ammo during 'larger' battles. its quite annoying.

havnt gotten to the point where i upgrade ammo yet...

Dynamic3

Did you sign up for Shift, you can get a free key for doing that.

I'm assuming there will be many other free ways to get keys in the future.

I just signed up, but I don't think I got a key. I got a notification saying I have a key, but it's a result of my Premiere Club. Hmm, do keys show in your inventory somewhere?

Quikies83

I just had to google this, apparently you need to move the cursor to the right hand side of the gun and the favourite/trash icons should pop up to click.

The PC interface in general is odd. It's like they really took all the complaints about the lack of mouse control in the first game and forgot there is a keyboard as well.

I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

Wallach

I don't know about the UI as a whole, but the inventory screen in particular seems pointlessly busy. Really don't care for it at all.

I just signed up, but I don't think I got a key. I got a notification saying I have a key, but it's a result of my Premiere Club. Hmm, do keys show in your inventory somewhere?

If you linked your Steam account from the website, unlink it, then launch the game and link it from inside BL2. It should give you the key then.

eek5

I don't know about the UI as a whole, but the inventory screen in particular seems pointlessly busy. Really don't care for it at all.

The inventory UI is awful especially when you bring in the bank/stash. Needlessly complicated. There has to be a better way...

iNvid02

PHYSX PERFORMANCE COMPARISON

6Mbdl.png

borderlands-2-physx-performance-image3-650.png

Coconut

Banned
I haven't put much time in with him, but based on other posts he appears to rank up there with Maya as the best class, with Zero being the worst. He also appears to be an easier class to solo with.

As with any class based game you just need to know how to work your character.

scy

The inventory interface really does feel a bit clunky. I think I need to find my 360 controller and use that on the PC and see if that works better or something. I honestly didn't have any issues with Borderlands 1 but maybe I've just suppressed bad memories.

marrec

Banned
The inventory UI is awful especially when you bring in the bank/stash. Needlessly complicated. There has to be a better way...

The inventory system gets a bit easier to deal with to the point where I don't have any issues with it anymore. It would be nice if I could scroll with the keyboard, but its so much improved from BL1.

Razek

Banned

what??

this ^. UI in the first one was brutal (from a PC standpoint). i find BL2 to be much improved in this standpoint. having a Minimap is a HUGE help.

my main bitch point is running out of ammo. i have to keep shotty, pistol, smg, assault on hand just because i run through so much ammo during 'larger' battles. its quite annoying.

havnt gotten to the point where i upgrade ammo yet...

Skill tree is a personal thing, I understand that. I wish they let you level faster so you could get more than 6 full skills a game.

Side missions are just worse. Not sure what you find fun about "Go to the first map of the game, run through all the level 3 enemies and click this switch, now run all the way back." that half of them consist of.

As for the UI, no way is it better. Hoostrax made a great comparison earlier:

The left shot sucks. Such a waste of space. The character is blocking a portion of the screen. Everything takes longer to figure out and scroll through. The right screen is such a better use of space and information.

eek5

The inventory interface really does feel a bit clunky. I think I need to find my 360 controller and use that on the PC and see if that works better or something. I honestly didn't have any issues with Borderlands 1 but maybe I've just suppressed bad memories.

I use a controller and it makes it feel a bit more usable but TBH it's a bad interface even w/ controller in mind. I'm not sure what they were thinking

dankir

I don't think I'll ever play the Borderland series but the question that has been bugging since seeing the boxart of the 1st and 2nd games.

Is this guy going to grow a 3rd arm for the Borderlands 3?

504x_borderlands_box_art.jpg

borderlands-2-box-art.jpg

Milamber

So the countdown timer for the preload just hit zero 15 minutes ago but my steam client is still showing preload complete, even after restarting steam. What gives?

Wallach

I don't think I'll ever play the Borderland series but the question that has been bugging since seeing the boxart of the 1st and 2nd games.

Well, judging by the theme... I guess it depends on how graphic they're willing to make the cover.

The encounter design in this game is pretty lazy and poor, I'm tired of seeing enemies spawn out of thin air right in front of me. It feels so scripted, let me just encounter enemies, don't have them spawn en mass when I trigger an event or cross a threshold.

tjohn86

How are people using their skill points with the gunzerker? I've just got health passives so far. Sitting on like 5 skill points.

Effect

I recall Gearbox saying that they'd like to do a Wii U version but were focusing on Aliens for the moment. Was there ever anything else said regarding this now that they're done with Borderlands 2?

rbanke

like it is on the BL2 box, but with one of the player characters arm with their hand making a gun to his head.

or his johnson

equil

Anyone know where "Ore Chasm" is located? I have a greyed out quest thats available there, but i dont know how to get there.

Razek

Banned
How are people using their skill points with the gunzerker? I've just got health passives so far. Sitting on like 5 skill points.

I chose to go the left tree. I did the 25% fire rate on reload, 10% critical hit, and 400% damage for last bullet in clip. I'm thinking or respecing but I'm not sure if anything else is really worth trying for. I played snipers though.

Nope. I got a class mod last night that gave me +2 in a skill I had zero. I went to check and it said that it would only give +2 if I already had at least 1 point in that skill.

Ok. So about last night.

Played till I got to lvl 12 with my Zer0. Loving playing him all melee.

I played till
the firehawk mission
. Played it till amost the end then the lights went out in my building :(

It came back later, but it was late so I just went too sleep.

PS - I GAVE IN TO THE MULTIPLES GOLDEN KEY THING. I got like 10 keys. I figured since I did at lvl 10 it wqouldnt really break the game.

And you know what? It wasnt that amazing. OF all the weapons I got there, I only still got 1 (and I almost never use it). The rest I got later at lvl 11-12 just playing the game.

So, Im not gonna use the golden key anymore. Maybe if I hit lvl 50 just to see what I get (and it hasnt been patched yet).

Right now Im using:

- sniper rifle (got in mission)
- shotgun (got with golden key but honestly I almost never use it)
- pistol (got in chest - not golden key one). it has unlimited bullets. NO RELOAD. It`s freaking amazing. damage is kinda low, but it shoots fast and I can waste the bullets, lol.

I also have an SMG I found that is awesome.

So, if you`re thinking about getting more golden keys, I say to just keep playing the game. You will eventually get better just playing. Also, it will feel a lot more satisfying.

pardon, but how the hell do you have 10 keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom