• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akey

Banned
On the fence about this game. Addicted to GW2 right now and I do not see myself stopping and if I do it will prob be to play Panda or D3. Pre order bonus though uggg.

Raxus

On the fence about this game. Addicted to GW2 right now and I do not see myself stopping and if I do it will prob be to play Panda or D3. Pre order bonus though uggg.

Check out BL1 or you can rent it and if you like it you can purchase a fresh copy and get (most) of the content, including the mechnomancer class. I am just waiting for a GBX guy to stop in and confirm it.

The Chef

Can someone explain how co-op works? People are mentioning their single player & co-op character that they are choosing. So if I am playing in my single player can a friend just jump into my game? Or does this mean we have to setup a co-op session and start a different game together? In addition to that will it save our co-op progress as a separate save or something?

Can someone explain how co-op works? People are mentioning their single player & co-op character that they are choosing. So if I am playing in my single player can a friend just jump into my game? Or does this mean we have to setup a co-op session and start a different game together? In addition to that will it save our co-op progress as a separate save or something?

it's probably a save per character you create like BL1. and when you start up online coop you choose your char and all the story progression will tie in to that character when you are either in SP or MP.

Raide

Your save can be used for Solo or Co-op. I tend to make another character just for co-op so I can keep the levels at roughly the same place.

Not sure if they have drop in and out co-op but in the last one you just host a game, people join and off you go.

Gearbox did mention that if you join a co-op game in progress, it will ask you if you want to redo the quests etc or just jump to the point the host is at.

VanWinkle

Preordered it a little bit ago, and now I'm really excited, lol. I wasn't even planning on getting it before (or at least not on day 1), but I saw the cool pre-order bonuses and $10 Amazon credit, so I went for it. Now I can't wait for it. I really enjoyed the first Borderlands.

The Chef

Your save can be used for Solo or Co-op. I tend to make another character just for co-op so I can keep the levels at roughly the same place.
Not sure if they have drop in and out co-op but in the last one you just host a game, people join and off you go.
Gearbox did mention that if you join a co-op game in progress, it will ask you if you want to redo the quests etc or just jump to the point the host is at.

I see, me and 3 guys are planning on heavily doing co-op together so Im trying to figure out the best way to accomplish that so we all are progressing through the game at the same time.

Dizzy-4U

The co-op session is tied to the save file of the host. So, all your friends will be in your part of the story.

A new addition to BL2 is that if you join your friend's game and he is ahead of you in the story, when you go back to your game, you'll have the option to skip the missions you already did in co-op.

The Chef

A new addition to BL2 is that if you join your friend's game and he is ahead of you in the story, when you go back to your game, you'll have the option to skip the missions you already did in co-op.

That is AMAZING.

God damn your avatar. Everytime I spend minutes staring at it.

Avinexus

The co-op session is tied to the save file of the host. So, all your friends will be in your part of the story.

Does that mean that they fixed the coop quest stuff? Going into a coop game in BL1 and having 50 unfinished quests added to my quest list was a pain.

Raide

I see, me and 3 guys are planning on heavily doing co-op together so Im trying to figure out the best way to accomplish that so we all are progressing through the game at the same time.

Best idea is to just make a character that you co-op with and you can all see the same content at the same rate. Pretty much make character, host game and off you all go.

My solo characters will be the ones to play with each class to see which ones I like and then pick a co-op one.

Xevren

Sorry if this has been answered, but will this game do anything for playing with people with lvl gaps? First one kinda sucked if someone got lagged behind since they really couldn't do anything, and very curious if they did anything about it.

Raide

Sorry if this has been answered, but will this game do anything for playing with people with lvl gaps? First one kinda sucked if someone got lagged behind since they really couldn't do anything, and very curious if they did anything about it.

As far as I know, they don't have the level gap restrictions but if you are too far apart, it will be tough to balance the game to be fun for the low level and not too easy for the higher level. I am not 100% sure on the exactly, so hopefully Gearbox can fill us in.

garath

I've asked that a bunch of times. Doesn't seem to be a real answer out there.

I remember it sucking in the first game. It's probably going to suck in this one too. Not a great way to handle it.

The nice thing about only being a few levels off with a co op buddy is if you played for a bit the XP split weighted toward the lower level player so you would be back to the same level fairly quickly. There is only so much you can do trying to balance a level 5 player with a level 38.

KKRT00

Why this game has to come out in 10 days? ;\ There is no way, i'm going to stop playing GW 2 so soon.
Still buying it day one, game is looking to be great :)

Xevren

I've asked that a bunch of times. Doesn't seem to be a real answer out there.

I remember it sucking in the first game. It's probably going to suck in this one too. Not a great way to handle it.

What I figured, I know it would be a difficult thing to balance. Sometimes shit happens in real life and you just can't help it, had problems with that in the first one so hopefully nothing happens this time so we can all be around the same this time.

it was mentioned in the 2 hour IGN video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dNQX72lGEY

can't remember when they talked about it.

I watched about an hour of this last night, I don't think anything was mentioned regarding level differences among co-op partners. I think the only thing they said was that you can play with whoever you want and if you play with someone who's further ahead of you, if you then go back to your own game and play back up to the point you started at with your friend, the game will ask you if you want to skip the missions you did in co-op.

kind of sounded like a really weird solution, don't know how it will actually work though. I'm not even sure if I completely understood what they were saying, but that was what I got anyway.

VariantX

Need to ask this but is there some sort of stash for guns now in BL2? Hated finding a good gun and not being able to take it with me because my backpack was full.

Need to ask this but is there some sort of stash for guns now in BL2? Hated finding a good gun and not being able to take it with me because my backpack was full.

Hell yeah there is! I believe there is one to facilitate trade with friends too, like a mailbox style stash.

I watched about an hour of this last night, I don't think anything was mentioned regarding level differences among co-op partners. I think the only thing they said was that you can play with whoever you want and if you play with someone who's further ahead of you, if you then go back to your own game and play back up to the point you started at with your friend, the game will ask you if you want to skip the missions you did in co-op.

kind of sounded like a really weird solution, don't know how it will actually work though. I'm not even sure if I completely understood what they were saying, but that was what I got anyway.

i think they did. one of the question came from a viewer asking about level difference.

garath

What I figured, I know it would be a difficult thing to balance. Sometimes shit happens in real life and you just can't help it, had problems with that in the first one so hopefully nothing happens this time so we can all be around the same this time.

Yep. I happen to be getting married on the 22nd and between that and the honeymoon, my friends are going to leave me in the dust in levels.

I wish there was an elegant solution but it will probably just involve me playing solo to try and catch up, or my truest friends starting a second char to play with me lol.

Raide

Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot added the shared Bank. Shame most people skipped that DLC. :(

you're right, I probably missed that part. i'm reading on the gearbox forums that it scales to whoever is the host. I'll probably watch the whole video again tonight

but OP party member is still OP from what Randy says. I would love a proper sync but still retain all the buffs and stats from the skill tree and badass system. Just reduce the base stats to host.

Raide

Is it possible for two people playing co-op to play the same character? My buddy and I really want to play the same class.

There was no issues doing that in teh first game, so I cannot see it being an issues in BL2. The key mechanic for BL2 seems to be "One player to Slag them all, another to shoot them in the face."

VariantX

Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot added the shared Bank. Shame most people skipped that DLC. :(

Lol that's kind of hilarious since I have all the DLC for BL1 and just wouldn't play that one on account of how boring I found it to be compared to all the others.

King Boo

i just remembered something. in borderlands 1, everyone sees the same loot. is it like that in this? or does everyone get their own stuff

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just preordered for 36 bucks. Greenman gaming doesn't always make me sad.

Does "Borderlands 2 preorder with all premier club perks for 36 dollars" warrant it's own thread?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Why would other people see different loot?

something something D3.
Seriously a loot system like in Diablo 3 would be so much better.

That's the only good thing in D3.

Raide

something something D3.
Seriously a loot system like in Diablo 3 would be so much better.

That's the only good thing in D3.

I tend to only play with co-op people I know, so I tend not to get looting issues. For some it may be annoying with no loot rules to stop people stealing stuff and vanishing.

Raide

i guess that's a small improvement. the people i play with aren't the types to share, so it seems i'll have to do some solo play as well.

Yes, it is not the ideal thing to do for loot, so maybe they will sort that out in time.

Gearbox seem to think that maybe we can resolve these things with a friendly slap and then shooting bullets into each others face. :D

King Boo

Yes, it is not the ideal thing to do for loot, so maybe they will sort that out in time.

Gearbox seem to think that maybe we can resolve these things with a friendly slap and then shooting bullets into each others face. :D

i wouldn't mind a feature where we would have to duel for that shiny gun lol

Raide

Well...you're kinda in luck!

Slap the other player and they get a duel invite. Slap back to start and the dome descends!!!!!

Two men enter, One Man Leave!

Surprised they didn't add that in here, considering they had some sort of PvP in the first game. Would've been a cool option here, but of course it probably won't be balanced due different levels and class mods. Don't think they could've gone the extra mile here to provide balancing for PvP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom