• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

I am torn between Maya and Zero.

In Borderlands 1 it was a clear cut Lilith for me. Borderlands 2 not so sure. I don't know how much I like the singularity ability. Though I love the looks of her Cataclysm tree, the others aren't as appealing. Zero's trees look much better but I'm not sure how much I'd like Melee in such a gun-centric game. Melee didn't work at all in the first game. Sniping is great on paper but when you're getting accosted by tons of enemies, you're doing yourself a disservice locking all your skills into sniping.

It's a toss up for me.

Zero's tree says "sniping", but only the very bottom two skills are specific to sniper rifles. Every other skill in that tree will boost all guns. Bore will let every gun constantly shoot through things dealing greater damage to enemies behind your target.

I plan on playing a gun-only Zero at some point and snipers will just be one of the many guns I use on him. Throwing Kunnai's 5 times in deception, adding a 20% defense debuff to everything you hit, then shotgunning on his highlighted crit spots from behind. /drool

Dizzy-4U

I hope the Creature Slaughter Dome gets added to the season pass later. It sucks that gamestop doesn't exist here and I'm missing content from the start (yeah, I know you can play it if someone else has it but still...).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I hope the Creature Slaughter Dome gets added to the season pass later. It sucks that gamestop doesn't exists here and I'm missing content from the start (yeah, I know you can play it if someone else has it but still...).
That would REALLY suck if it was one of the 4 pieces of campaign content. I doubt it. Separate DLC plz.

BigDug13

That would REALLY suck if it was one of the 4 pieces of campaign content. I doubt it. Separate DLC plz.

Nothing that has specifically announced so far is a part of the season pass at all. Character DLC, slaughter dome, none of it. Don't let the fact that other companies have completely burned you on DLC pricing and content sway you. Borderlands set the standard this gen and BL2 will take the crown from themselves for DLC value per dollar.

Dammit, I wish this unlocked this week. :(

After months looking for work I finally get a job RIGHT when Borderlands 2 comes out! Curse my good/bad luck!

Nelo Ice

Banned
I was thinking more of a bonus for buying it, or maybe they'll add it later for people who pre-ordered it.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Pretty sure Rockstar did the same thing with Max Payne 3. And that would add that much more value to my $13 season pass lol.

BigDug13

Seems like anyone can pretty much be good with any gun. True? Say, Axton with a big ass sniper rifle?

Yep, no more weapon proficiencies which in the first game made you suck at new weapon types you hadn't been leveling up from the beginning. Plus each class really only has 1 or 2 skills out of their 30+ skills each that are weapon specific.

Find a bad ass gun of any type? You can use it just fine in this one right away.

Even Zero's tree called "sniper" only has the last 2 skills that are specific to snipers.

Well, yes and no.

I'm assuming Gun Skill Levels are back.

Nope, gone.

The Chef

Yep, no more weapon proficiencies which in the first game made you suck at new weapon types you hadn't been leveling up from the beginning. Plus each class really only has 1 or 2 skills out of their 30+ skills each that are weapon specific.

Find a bad ass gun of any type? You can use it just fine in this one right away.

Even Zero's tree called "sniper" only has the last 2 skills that are specific to snipers.

This is soooo good. I have been trippin over Zero vs Axton. I love sniping but I love Axton's sentry gun so Axton it is! Finally I make a decision my goodness.

Seems like anyone can pretty much be good with any gun. True? Say, Axton with a big ass sniper rifle?

This is true, though certain skills like Zero's increased sniper perks or Axtons additional clip size for assault rifles can make some classes have certain advantages, but for the most part everyone can be effective with every weapon, and lack of the corny weapon proficiency system means there are no penalties for diversity.

harrytang

GMG took six days to process my pre-order cancellation request, so you may be waiting a while.

call them up and give them the ticket number. i had this issue when they didnt release my sleeping dogs steam key and i wanted to cancel my order. from US and just used google voice to make the free phone call. whole thing took 5 minutes.

swore i'd never use them after that but couldnt pass up this deal for 36 dollar BL2. sigh....

BigDug13

seriously? I really like gun skills.

Here was the problem in borderlands 1. Oh I'm super proficient in assault rifles and shotguns. Oh crap look at that badass smg that dropped. Too bad I suck with smg's. Better sell it. Oh crap look at that bad ass revolver that dropped. Too bad I suck at revolvers. Better sell it.

Meanwhile it takes you 20 levels to find a decent assault rifle upgrade.

They didn't want that to happen again.

Now you find something, pop it in your hands, and your character is equally as good with it as the gun you replaced.

Some people might miss the proficiencies, but overall it makes the loot hunt more fun.

Here was the problem in borderlands 1. Oh I'm super proficient in assault rifles and shotguns. Oh crap look at that badass smg that dropped. Too bad I suck with smg's. Better sell it. Oh crap look at that bad ass revolver that dropped. Too bad I suck at revolvers. Better sell it.

Then they could have just altered the drop rate for upgrades in your proficiency.

Instead, the obvious solution is to get rid of Gun Proficiency altogether?

It's not like they had no choice.

BigDug13

Then they could have just altered the drop rate for upgrades in your proficiency.

Bad ass ranks replaced them. And as a longtime (years) player of BL1 with multiple playthroughs with every class except brick, I'm glad they're gone. I don't want to suck with certain guns. I want to rock with all guns without micromanaging my gun's level.

Raxus

Some people might miss the proficiencies, but overall it makes the loot hunt more fun.

I have to agree. Most of the benefits of weapon proficiencies is now covered by the badass system which actually promotes using different weapons.
And as a longtime (years) player of BL1 with multiple playthroughs with every class except brick,.

I was a Brick player :(

Why do people hate 'zerkers so much?

Orayn

What if you changed your play style and got stuck with a bunch of guns you didn't want? That would just change weapon proficiency into a different type of grind.

Gotchaye

But proficiency also forces you to pick a gun type and specialize. Very few people only ever want to use one gun type, and it's never going to be the case that the variety possible in one gun type is as broad as what's possible across all gun types. The early game in Borderlands had a lot of cool moments where you'd find some new gun with a neat modifier and start killing things with it, but you couldn't do that in the late-game because you were getting such massive bonuses to one type that no other type could compare, and your gun upgrades at that point were just number increases.

Within reason, what's most effective should also be most fun.

What if you changed your play style and got stuck with a bunch of guns you didn't want? That would just change weapon proficiency into a different type of grind.

I guess I don't see why that's a bad thing.

It's not like you were horrible at guns with low proficiency. No, getting higher level just gave them buffs.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Now you find something, pop it in your hands, and your character is equally as good with it as the gun you replaced.

It's what made Loot Hunt in BL more fun.. I meant I had to begging people to let me to get better guns, sometime I had to threaten them to give me the specific guns I need. (I played with three friends and we have a great sense of humors when it come to Borderland)

Sometime we would gathering together and comparing which weapons we need by throwing weapons on the ground and let people judging and see if they need before we sell the weapons to the vending boxes.

I love to hunting for better weapons to suit my characters, but now it's gone. I don't know how I feel about that. I think I felt that they getting rid of that would make the game much easier because we can be professional with any of guns without skilling/leveling it up.

Oh well.

Exactly

Gotchaye

I love to hunting for better weapons to suit my characters, but now it's gone. I don't know how I feel about that. I think I felt that they getting rid of that would make the game much easier because we can be professional with any of guns without skilling/leveling it up.
So do that. Decide in advance that one person gets dibs on Sniper Rifles and someone else gets dibs on SMGs, and so forth. If you find two really awesome but similar SMGs, someone else might get to use one, but that's the only difference.

If I ever meet Randy Pitchford, I am going to punch him right in his Gun Skill Hating face.

btw, this is my current Borderlands 1 grid skin:
BDL1-grid.jpg

I require help in what my BL2 grid skin should be. I thought about a silhouette of the original four Hunters for a sec.

Raxus

I require help in what my BL2 grid skin should be. I thought about a silhouette of the original four Hunters for a sec.

A silhouette of the original 4 with the new vault hunters taking their place. Maya where Lilith is, Zer0 where Mordecai was, Salvador where brick was and Axton where Roland was.

I was a Brick player :(

Why do people hate 'zerkers so much?

I guess because his skill was melee-based and people would rather use guns. I'll admit the melee was a huge draw for me but it became useless in the higher difficulty. He still had good survivability though.

Is it possible to reset your skill points? What's the process?

You can reset it at the customization vending machine in the game. (they showed it off in the game hub The Sanctuary) the price is based on how many skill points you have. the price is reasonable for you to reset.

Venfayth

Yeah the desert got a little redundant after a while in BL1. But I've seen lots of nice enviros in the current BL2 shots :>

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Probably been asked a billion times, but how are these games for singleplayer?
I played BL1 single player only. Still super fun, I still will play the majority of BL2 single player too.

Lack of environmental variety made me not finish the first, but that was a huge thing they took into consideration with 2, thankfully.

Just know that the game is much like the PR says, gameplay driven. There is story but they don't want to shove it or cutscenes down your throat. You don't need to know the story going into 2, but looking at a synopsis wouldn't hurt your experience, there was not much to the 1st game overall in terms of story.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enzo, are you getting the Master Race version or the console peasant version?
PC bruh. Still unsure of how well it will run on my PC though, trying not to think about that and drown it out with hype.

Add me on Steam, I should be in the BL2 group too.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Btw question for you guys. If you have a family member in the US unlock the game on for the PC steam version, will you be able to play it back in the current country of residence? Japan being the current example here.

Being an expat fucking sucks with situations of "region locking" so to speak with release dates which really should not exist in this digital day and age anymore. Even more so if the version we are buying isnt the localized one.

Btw question for you guys. If you have a family member in the US unlock the game on for the PC steam version, will you be able to play it back in the current country of residence? Japan being the current example here.

Being an expat fucking sucks with situations of "region locking" so to speak with release dates which really should not exist in this digital day and age anymore. Even more so if the version we are buying isnt the localized one.

that should work unless steam has changed that.

I don't get why people are worried about the removal of gun skill ranks, the badass system seems so much better. Now all loot is exciting, not just one class of guns that you committed the most time to. I have noticed with my second play through I swap guns much more often and have a naturally balanced character. It also conserves ammo.

does ANYONE know what Axions default heads look like, and if any of them look like Roland? His similarities to my prior main are taunting me >__<

I don't get why people are worried about the removal of gun skill ranks, the badass system seems so much better. Now all loot is exciting, not just one class of guns that you committed the most time to. I have noticed with my second play through I swap guns much more often and have a naturally balanced character. It also conserves ammo.

word, its almost a no brainer as far as improvements go.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
PC bruh. Still unsure of how well it will run on my PC though, trying not to think about that and drown it out with hype.

Add me on Steam, I should be in the BL2 group too.

last time your internet was the only problem iirc. hopefully this time you won't teleport from place to place again.

edit: invest in a vid card man. even a cheap one will do.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
last time your internet was the only problem iirc. hopefully this time you won't teleport from place to place again.

edit: invest in a vid card man. even a cheap one will do.
>.<

Yeah but I was also running pretty close to the lowest end in terms of graphics settings. BL2 being newer means I generally have to expect SOME bump in minimal performance, which I am scared of. Stuff like the new menus I can see myself taking a performance hit from.

But yeah Gamespy is a piece of shit and I really can't see things getting worse, only better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom