• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaning towards Axton right now. He just seems to be the best class in terms of enhancing the general gunplay in BL2 and enjoying all guns. Just trying to determine if I should go for damage output or being a tank at this point. Probably tank, given how offensive minded every other class seems to be at this point.

Zero speaks to me the most, but I really don't want to have to focus on just sniper rifles or melee for my first playthrough. Really want to enjoy any and all loot that I pick up.

Maya seems like the most fun though....singularities never get old.

Max

I am not Max
Gave into the $36 deal on GMG....

I really didn't like the first game and found it boring for some reason, but people keep talking improvements, and the price is alright. That quote in a review about guns feeling more like Doom and Unreal doesn't help either. Really craving a co-op game right now as well.

Will these Nvidia enhancements run well on a 560 Ti?

This game is starting to occupy my subconscious. I had dreams of BL2 last night and kept thinking of playing it when I would startle awake. I also had a dream about a cat horribly mortally wounded clawing my leg and biting into it with it's dying breath, but that's beside the point, this game needs to come out now!

Dang I preordered this from Newegg and now I realized that I won't get the preorder the bonuses. I might have to suck it up and get it full price at GameStop. You win GameStop, wou win.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Leaning towards Axton right now. He just seems to be the best class in terms of enhancing the general gunplay in BL2 and enjoying all guns. Just trying to determine if I should go for damage output or being a tank at this point. Probably tank, given how offensive minded every other class seems to be at this point.

Zero speaks to me the most, but I really don't want to have to focus on just sniper rifles or melee for my first playthrough. Really want to enjoy any and all loot that I pick up.

Maya seems like the most fun though....singularities never get old.

I thought the gunzerker would be the most geared to enjoying all the guns. From what I've seen he looks really fun.

As everyone knows, the first game made the moronic decision of restricting health regeneration to one subcategory of shields, making all the other shields completely useless. They're not repeating that mistake, right? I haven't seen anything about this.

H3xum

As everyone knows, the first game made the moronic decision of restricting health regeneration to one subcategory of shields, making all the other shields completely useless. They're not repeating that mistake, right? I haven't seen anything about this.

They haven't specifically said much, however, they did say there are exponentially more varieties of shields this time around. So I would hope for regen to be the baseline skill for a few different kinds with other + effects paired.

They haven't specifically said much, however, they did say there are exponentially more varieties of shields this time around. So I would hope for regen to be the baseline skill for a few different kids with other + effects paired.

I am betting that this is the case. In addition, there seem to be more regen and health orientated skills in the trees.

I thought the gunzerker would be the most geared to enjoying all the guns. From what I've seen he looks really fun.

You're not really able to use the guns as intended while gunzerking though, and he's more of an aggro character with skills meant to keep you in that heavy high dealing damage state for as long as possible.

Axton has a lot of skills that just help general gunplay -- like expertise which allows quick weapon changing, instant aim down the sights and fast movement while aiming down the sights, and Ranger which gives a boost to generally every gun stat there is up to 5%.

There's a lot of versatility with him in terms of just using weapons in whatever way you see fit rather than just going in guns blazing.

You're not really able to use the guns as intended while gunzerking though, and he's more of an aggro character with skills meant to keep you in that heavy high dealing damage state for as long as possible.

Axton has a lot of skills that just help general gunplay -- like expertise which allows quick weapon changing, instant aim down the sights and fast movement while aiming down the sights, and Ranger which gives a boost to generally every gun stat there is up to 5%.

There's a lot of versatility with him in terms of just using weapons in whatever way you see fit rather than just going in guns blazing.

From what was shown in the Gamespot preview with Zer0 it seems like any class can use any weapons effectively. I haven't actually looked at the skill trees yet, but the dev who was playing was talking about the team coming up with "shotgun ninja" builds for him taking advantage of the skill that gives you a damage increase when you alternate between melee and gunfire. He was also using a rocket shotgun pretty effectively. It sounds like there are just flat bonuses to weapon damage as opposed to +sniper/pistol damage and stuff

TRios Zen

From what was shown in the Gamespot preview with Zer0 it seems like any class can use any weapons effectively. I haven't actually looked at the skill trees yet, but the dev who was playing was talking about the team coming up with "shotgun ninja" builds for him taking advantage of the skill that gives you a damage increase when you alternate between melee and gunfire. He was also using a rocket shotgun pretty effectively. It sounds like there are just flat bonuses to weapon damage as opposed to +sniper/pistol damage and stuff

I kind of agree with this - I thought the skill trees for all characters provided multiple ways of attacking this game, much more so than the first game.

I will probably play through solo as Axton or Maya, and co-op as Zero. Well that's the current plan at least.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, fair enough, though I find the idea of finding optimal weapon combos pretty compelling, like say shooting a slag weapon with another gun for max damage.

garath

I am torn between Maya and Zero.

In Borderlands 1 it was a clear cut Lilith for me. Borderlands 2 not so sure. I don't know how much I like the singularity ability. Though I love the looks of her Cataclysm tree, the others aren't as appealing. Zero's trees look much better but I'm not sure how much I'd like Melee in such a gun-centric game. Melee didn't work at all in the first game. Sniping is great on paper but when you're getting accosted by tons of enemies, you're doing yourself a disservice locking all your skills into sniping.

It's a toss up for me.

Gotchaye

Seems to me that Zero's more limited by his melee tree than his sniping tree. There's a lot to like in his sniping tree for any gun type until you get to the bottom two skills, and I imagine lots of people with no interest in sniper rifles are going to build halfway down it. Accuracy and zoom bonuses are probably more useful for guns like SMGs anyway. One could build Zero while taking hardly any sniping or melee skills by maxing Cunning and then going halfway down Sniping.

I am torn between Maya and Zero.

In Borderlands 1 it was a clear cut Lilith for me. Borderlands 2 not so sure. I don't know how much I like the singularity ability. Though I love the looks of her Cataclysm tree, the others aren't as appealing. Zero's trees look much better but I'm not sure how much I'd like Melee in such a gun-centric game. Melee didn't work at all in the first game. Sniping is great on paper but when you're getting accosted by tons of enemies, you're doing yourself a disservice locking all your skills into sniping.

It's a toss up for me.

I might be starting to lean towards Zero after looking at the skill tree again. I highly underestimated what he's capable of.

There are some great gunplay buffs that are a little underrated for Zero. Something like B0re will work great for hurting groups of enemies, image deploying deception and then using a shotgun to pierce through the back of multiple enemies bunched together, all the bullets penetrating and doing crit damage due to being hits from behind.

Critical Ascensi0n might just be what makes me use Zero though, you can stack up to 999 a +5 % and + 6% damage boost ot sniper rifle and crit damage. Which means you've got a great reason to keep using that sniper in combination with something like Kill confirmed, which gives up to +8% crit damage when aiming down the sights. It essentially means that if you're careful and continue to get headshots, you're going to start 1 shotting enemies relatively quickly so long as you keep it up.

Will look for other builds later, but the sniper damage output has the potential to be godlike if you're a good shot.

Antiwhippy

Maya with cataclysm tree and the ability to suck in surrounding enemies with her singularity is going to be insane I bet.

garath

I might be starting to lean towards Zero after looking at the skill tree again. I highly underestimated what he's capable of.

There are some great gunplay buffs that are a little underrated for Zero. Something like B0re will work great for hurting groups of enemies, image deploying deception and then using a shotgun to pierce through the back of multiple enemies bunched together, all the bullets penetrating and doing crit damage due to being hits from behind.

Critical Ascensi0n might just be what makes me use Zero though, you can stack up to 999 a +5 % and + 6% damage boost ot sniper rifle and crit damage. Which means you've got a great reason to keep using that sniper in combination with something like Kill confirmed, which gives up to +8% crit damage when aiming down the sights. It essentially means that if you're careful and continue to get headshots, you're going to start 1 shotting enemies relatively quickly so long as you keep it up.

Will look for other builds later, but the sniper damage output has the potential to be godlike if you're a good shot.

I agree. Zero's damage output is going to be nuts. He's got crit damage stacking all over the place and Deception is basically a get out of jail free card to reposition and keep sniping.

I like Maya's character look better too :( Hopefully Zero's got some decent skin unlocks.

I agree, it seems all the classes have skills that open up any type of gun play with only some minor skills here and there specific to certain weapons types. Only Zer0's sniping tree seems to be BL1 style where it is heavily weighted for one weapon. I look forward to realizing my Maya build and controlling mobs and healing co-op peeps.

TheContact

So I still have my Xbox save but I pre-ordered it for the PC digital, I'm guessing I'm not going to be able to get the Veteran Awards?

Great OT.

Cannot wait to play this game!!!!

Finally have a PC that can run it well!

Still torn between Axton and Zero.

I will play with both. Just not sure which one first :p

kairotic

Neo Member
So I still have my Xbox save but I pre-ordered it for the PC digital, I'm guessing I'm not going to be able to get the Veteran Awards?

If you pick it up BL1 for PC you will get the rewards. It doesn't require you to have beaten the game.

But yeah, without it you will not get the rewards on PC.

quick question.

dont remember much of borderlands 1 but are the characters in this one restricted (or best played with) to a certain type of gun? Basically, can Zero kick ass with machine guns and maya with snipers?

-PXG-

Holy shit...hype rising. The sooner GMG allows me to pre load, the better. Two straight days of bliss next week.

I'm gonna rock Maya. Roland was my boy in the first game. I think it's a good idea to mix it up. Sorry Axton :(

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
quick question.

dont remember much of borderlands 1 but are the characters in this one restricted (or best played with) to a certain type of gun? Basically, can Zero kick ass with machine guns and maya with snipers?

This one isn't as limited as the first one was. Zer0 is the only one that has a skill tree that really focuses on a single weapon class (snipers), but if you don't plan on using that tree then it doesn't really matter.

Gave into the $36 deal on GMG....

I really didn't like the first game and found it boring for some reason, but people keep talking improvements, and the price is alright. That quote in a review about guns feeling more like Doom and Unreal doesn't help either. Really craving a co-op game right now as well.

Will these Nvidia enhancements run well on a 560 Ti?

You'll be good.

I jumped on that GMG deal as well, despite already getting a free copy with my 660 ti. I'll be giving away free copy away to a friend.

I had very little hype for this game, but after watching some recent videos it really does look a lot more solid than the first. Hype commencing; this game should last me till halo 4. I'm probably going to start with the soldier type character and focus on weapon mods. Love fast reloading and such.

I only ever played Zombie Island and General Knoxx on my 360, put I wanna pick up some DLC on my PS3 copy. I hear Moxxi's is bad, but how is Claptrap's Revoluion?

i hit a brick wall in moxxies part in the prison, and just lost interest, couldn't even move on to claptraps part which i've heard might be good :(

i think i'll rent it from gamestop.

he was my boy too, come at me brethren!

we need to put the preorder link FAQ at the very top of the OP.

As do Gearbox. All of their promotional materials and Facebook posts link back to the BL website and it doesn't say shit about Steam and GMG. It makes it look like you have to do Amazon, Best Buy or Gamestop. Unless you dig into the forums your first impulse is your are shit out of luck.

Raide

i hit a brick wall in moxxies part in the prison, and just lost interest, couldn't even move on to claptraps part which i've heard might be good :(

i think i'll rent it from gamestop.

he was my boy too, come at me brethren!

Co-op, Moxxi's was actually good fun. A very different feel to what the rest of the game was like but still the worst of the DLC. Zombie Island was awesome fun and a very different feel, Knoxx and Claptrap added more story and new stuff. All worth playing as a full Borderlands experience, especially Knoxx and Claptrap.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm surprised they still haven't made a robot class for Borderlands.

I guess zer0's kind of close, but the obvious step seems to me to be an actual robot. Maybe with a hand that transforms into the guns.

abundant

This one isn't as limited as the first one was. Zer0 is the only one that has a skill tree that really focuses on a single weapon class (snipers), but if you don't plan on using that tree then it doesn't really matter.

The Sniping skill tree is misleading. Only the bottom two skills are tied to Sniper Rifles. The rest of the skills, which improve Crit Damage, Accuracy, Zoom, Reload Speed, and adds Piercing Bullets applies for all guns.

Nelo Ice

Banned
As do Gearbox. All of their promotional materials and Facebook posts link back to the BL website and it doesn't say shit about Steam and GMG. It makes it look like you have to do Amazon, Best Buy or Gamestop. Unless you dig into the forums your first impulse is your are shit out of luck.

For the other B&M stores and other sites that don't have it explicitly stated yes it is unclear but the info about the bonuses are literally listed on GMGs page. And on the Borderlands 2 website there is a big splash image before the list of the different versions that has a direct link to the Steam page which also lists the bonuses.

Yes.

It even says so right on the product page of GMG.

Apparently no one bothers to read the page anymore and the only thing that is visible is the add to cart button lol.

For the other B&M stores and other sites that don't have it explicitly stated yes it is unclear but the info about the bonuses are literally listed on GMGs page. And on the Borderlands 2 website there is a big splash image before the list of the different versions that has a direct link to the Steam page which also lists the bonuses.

Apparently no one bothers to read the page anymore and the only thing that is visible is the add to cart button lol.

Well, $36 is a good deal after all. Steamworks, too? WHERE DA ADD TO CART BUTTON AT, YO?!

If you click the link for "Premier Club" you are taken to this page where I don't see anything about Steam, GMG, etc. That is all I am saying. They are telling people to "get your premier club info by going here!" and it seems to be the most incomplete list of info regarding pre orders. It is no surprise people aren't sure about the status of their pre orders.

Nelo Ice

Banned
If you click the link for "Premier Club" you are taken to this page where I don't see anything about Steam, GMG, etc. That is all I am saying. They are telling people to "get your premier club info by going here!" and it seems to be the most incomplete list of info regarding pre orders. It is no surprise people aren't sure about the status of their pre orders.

Click on the thing to the right, it links right to the Steam page for the game.
VmcNl.jpg

Yeah I suppose they could be more clear but really all you have to do is check from the place you ordered from or are considering ordering from and in the case for PCDD every site that's selling it has it listed on the product page. The one thing they could make clear is the premiere club applying to like every copy whether the store is listed or not since that seems to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom